Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
We've far too many players, that is for sure.

Just need CB, not for ridiculous price. Ampadu should also get a chance.
We need a striker too. We are crying out for one

Ampadu is off to Italy apparently.

Bobski

Kovacic isn't inconsistent.
Ok, you would know better than myself, it is an impression I have gained from watching 10-15 Chelsea games a season. I really like him as a player when he is on, why has he struggled to hold down a starting spot? Injuries?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Ok, you would know better than myself, it is an impression I have gained from watching 10-15 Chelsea games a season. I really like him as a player when he is on, why has he struggled to hold down a starting spot? Injuries?
He's a consistent 8/10 player. Probably our best midfielder. The only thing that is inconsistent about him is his injury record.

TheReligion

Abusive
How did they play? Missed the game
Much the same as last season. Plenty of possession but did little with it. Attack lacks a focal point and they are crying out for a CF replacement for Lukaku.

Silva and Sterling played well. The game was very average though and a draw would have been the fairer result given what Everton created.

DavyJones

Supports
Chelsea
A few more training sections should get this Cucurella guy up to speed. Sideways and Backwards lad, sideways and backwards.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I pray we have the greatest week of training we have ever had before playing against Conte’s Spurs. Todays performance would have been us getting an ass kicking against them.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Much the same as last season. Plenty of possession but did little with it. Attack lacks a focal point and they are crying out for a CF replacement for Lukaku.

Silva and Sterling played well. The game was very average though and a draw would have been the fairer result given what Everton created.
Whatever broja did in his little time impressed me lot more than mount and Kai in their time. But we are not upto speed. You can add kouly too in good performance list.

Team lacks fitness generally so won't bothered much. We always struggled at goodison and three points most welcome one of our bogey grounds removed from our fixture list.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I pray we have the greatest week of training we have ever had before playing against Conte’s Spurs. Todays performance would have been us getting an ass kicking against them.
Two games are never the same.

We won the UCL the same season Big Sam slapped 5 past us at Stamford Bridge.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Opening match at Stamford bridge I doubt spurs will do any thing meaningful. We will win it easily.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
A horrible game to watch.
New season and old sensations.
Tuchel, you need to change the chip mate, focus on the job because you have a lot to do, claiming signings and insisting on this soporific and inefficient model will not finnish well.

If there wasn't a penalty we wouldn't score a goal even if the game lasted 250 minutes.

Havertz and Mount were two ghosts on the pitch.
Sterling was the only one able to unbalance a bit, the only one who tried, back there the pure class of Silva.

More than signing new players we need to change the system and style.

Our bench today had Kepa, Cucurella, Chalobah, Kovacic, Pulisic, RLC, Gallagher, Zyiech, Broja.

Either Tuchel turns this around or it's impossible to watch two hours or four hours of this horror a week.

You have one of the best squads in the world.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
A horrible game to watch.
New season and old sensations.
Tuchel, you need to change the chip mate, focus on the job because you have a lot to do, claiming signings and insisting on this soporific and inefficient model will not finnish well.

If there wasn't a penalty we wouldn't score a goal even if the game lasted 250 minutes.

Havertz and Mount were two ghosts on the pitch.
Sterling was the only one able to unbalance a bit, the only one who tried, back there the pure class of Silva.

More than signing new players we need to change the system and style.

Our bench today had Kepa, Cucurella, Chalobah, Kovacic, Pulisic, RLC, Gallagher, Zyiech, Broja.

Either Tuchel turns this around or it's impossible to watch two hours or four hours of this horror a week.

You have one of the best squads in the world.
Settle down lad.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Started time wasting when the clock hit 55 minutes.
First win away to Everton in 4 attempts. Koulibali, Sterling and Cookie looked decent.

Good at the back, disjointed upfront. The game was gash.

Thanks
After a lot of money spent I think its not unreasonable to expect more oomph in their attacks.

I think Tuchel ball is dead boring though. Not completely wowed by it, but its bringing results. Albeit a host of narrow ones.

Mr Smith

I find this Chelsea side pretty unconvincing honestly. That back three has an average age of 33 with almost no cover, and Jorginho and Kante are both past their best. They still have some top players in attack, and Reece James remains an excellent player, but with a shaky defence and no recognised striker, I think they could have a tough season by their own standards.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I find this Chelsea side pretty unconvincing honestly. That back three has an average age of 33 with almost no cover, and Jorginho and Kante are both past their best. They still have some top players in attack, and Reece James remains an excellent player, but with a shaky defence and no recognised striker, I think they could have a tough season by their own standards.
The age obsession is too much at times. While i'd agree Azpi is waning and should have a more reduced role going forward the other 2 are still playing at an insanely high level.

Mr Smith

The age obsession is too much at times. While i'd agree Azpi is waning and should have a more reduced role going forward the other 2 are still playing at an insanely high level.
You say he'll have a reduced role, but who's covering for him? By my count you have three senior CB's at the club right now. I know you're chasing Fofana, but the clock is ticking and Leicester are pulling a Maguire on you.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You say he'll have a reduced role, but who's covering for him? By my count you have three senior CB's at the club right now. I know you're chasing Fofana, but the clock is ticking and Leicester are pulling a Maguire on you.
Trevoh Chalobah is the cover right now. Fofana would be the better option should he come in.

NoPace

I thought Silva finally started to look his age today, though he did make a brilliant play on that 2 on 1.

Koulibaly looked very good.

I know Mount was your player of the season, but sometimes he doesn't seem to fit the formation and it seems like more of a pure attacker would be a better fit.

Nickelodeon

Think Tuchel gets away with a lot of ‘boring’ football. This was probably the worst match of the weekend till now. Also, it’s clear that Chelsea need a striker but what type is the biggest question. So far none of Lukaku, Werner or Havertz have looked any good in the system. If they were to bring in Ronaldo, it will make them even more static with an addition of frustration filled arm waving.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Koulibaly looked great. Hopefully his injury is not serious.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can Chelsea fans shed any light on spending over 50/60 million on a left-back when you already have Chilwell? That's over 100 million on let-backs alone. It seems Chelsea are going the United route with the new owners. Marina seems to be a miss already just as we missed Gill and Sir Alex in the recruiting department.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Think Tuchel gets away with a lot of ‘boring’ football. This was probably the worst match of the weekend till now. Also, it’s clear that Chelsea need a striker but what type is the biggest question. So far none of Lukaku, Werner or Havertz have looked any good in the system. If they were to bring in Ronaldo, it will make them even more static with an addition of frustration filled arm waving.
Werner looked great for the system, but the issue was that he couldn't score to save his life. Still, they were much more dangerous as a team because of his runs and ability to drag the opposition defence. As Pep said at the time the problem playing against Chelsea was that they were playing so wide thanks to their wingbacks, but at the same time, and thanks to Werner, who was making constant runs behind CB's could switch the play and go direct almost instantly if you press them. Now, they are far more predictable and easier to defend with a lot of sideways passes relying mostly on their wingbacks to be the biggest attacking threat.

Why did they moved from previous formula is a mystery because am pretty certain (despite all Werner flaws) that they created more chances and were much more fluid. Even if you want to upgrade Werner (which is logical) certainly you would want a similiar type of player as him and not go for Lukaku or play Havertz in his role. Not sure who would that be in today's game, but peak Luis Suarez would be perfect fit for example.

At this point, you have to question Tuchel as well. He went from being one of more creative and attacking coaches in Dortmund to one of the most conservative and defensive ones. While it's still a great formula for cup competitions no way they can challenge for a title playing in this manner. Either he will find the right striker, shake up things differently or this could easily be his last season in Chelsea.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Can Chelsea fans shed any light on spending over 50/60 million on a left-back when you already have Chilwell? That's over 100 million on let-backs alone. It seems Chelsea are going the United route with the new owners. Marina seems to be a miss already just as we missed Gill and Sir Alex in the recruiting department.
He's not just a left back, Chilly is coming back from a terrible injury, Alonso is gone and Emerson is wank.

TheReligion

Abusive
Werner looked great for the system, but the issue was that he couldn't score to save his life. Still, they were much more dangerous as a team because of his runs and ability to drag the opposition defence. As Pep said at the time the problem playing against Chelsea was that they were playing so wide thanks to their wingbacks, but at the same time, and thanks to Werner, who was making constant runs behind CB's could switch the play and go direct almost instantly if you press them. Now, they are far more predictable and easier to defend with a lot of sideways passes relying mostly on their wingbacks to be the biggest attacking threat.

Why did they moved from previous formula is a mystery because am pretty certain (despite all Werner flaws) that they created more chances and were much more fluid. Even if you want to upgrade Werner (which is logical) certainly you would want a similiar type of player as him and not go for Lukaku or play Havertz in his role. Not sure who would that be in today's game, but peak Luis Suarez would be perfect fit for example.

At this point, you have to question Tuchel as well. He went from being one of more creative and attacking coaches in Dortmund to one of the most conservative and defensive ones. While it's still a great formula for cup competitions no way they can challenge for a title playing in this manner. Either he will find the right striker, shake up things differently or this could easily be his last season in Chelsea.
interested to see what the Chelsea bunch think of this. Thanks for posting

Xaviboy

After watching Everton game yesterday anyone think Tuchel will just change his thoughts and get Ronaldo??

Reading stories in media the new owner wants Ronaldo but Tuchel is reluctant due to way he wants to play but after yesterday they struggled without a centre forward.

duffer

Scout

Not really a mystery. We stopped playing wide a lot through Chilwell and James because they both had got injured and the backups were nowhere near capable of doing the same role.

I think with Chillwell coming back to fitness & Cucarella coming in, we'll see a return to a much "wider" play as we have a bit of balance on the flanks again.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not really a mystery. We stopped playing wide a lot through Chilwell and James because they both had got injured and the backups were nowhere near capable of doing the same role.

I think with Chillwell coming back to fitness & Cucarella coming in, we'll see a return to a much "wider" play as we have a bit of balance on the flanks again.
Will the issue of having someone like Werner running centrally not still be there though as @Jim Beam suggests or do you not see that as a problem?

From yesterday I think Sterling is wasted in that central area and would be much more useful off someone else. I was surprised to see Broja and Havertz both shunted left.

Nickelodeon

Interesting. I don’t I’ve watched enough of Chelsea when Werner started as the main striker but do recall him always looking dangerous barring the goals. The striker market is quit shallow right now so can’t even think of a striker who can be a prolific version of Werner.

duffer

Scout
Will the issue of having someone like Werner running centrally not still be there though as @Jim Beam suggests or do you not see that as a problem?

From yesterday I think Sterling is wasted in that central area and would be much more useful off someone else. I was surprised to see Broja and Havertz both shunted left.
I guess the manager has decided the good that Werner's runs do (and they are very effective) are not worth everything else Werner brings to the table.

We'll see how the season progresses. I don't think Sterling is wasted there at all, he had a goal disallowed (replacing Werner nicely!) and another denied by a fantastic last ditch tackle. If he plays like that every game he'll be fine.

Jim Beam

Was not questioning that, your wingbacks when fit are great and that width they create is still a massive problem for the opposition. You can see Liverpool having problems with it every time they play against you because their fullbacks like to bomb forward so much leaving the space behind (even when you played against them without James or Chilwell).

Was questioning why you moved from Werner or to be more precise why you didn't upgrade him with a similiar type of striker.

duffer

Scout
Interesting. I don’t I’ve watched enough of Chelsea when Werner started as the main striker but do recall him always looking dangerous barring the goals. The striker market is quit shallow right now so can’t even think of a striker who can be a prolific version of Werner.
He has barely played for Tuchel as the main striker. All his best stuff came when he was on the left.

duffer

Scout
Was questioning why you moved from Werner or to be more precise why you didn't upgrade him with a similiar type of striker.
Werner has barely played as a striker for Tuchel, because he's kinda shit at it in a side who has a lot of possession.

All his best stuff came from out wide where he had a little more space and didn't have his back to goal.

CM

I thought Chelsea looked pretty toothless again yesterday. They're built on solid defensive foundations but they've never really convinced me in an attacking sense under Tuchel.

I still predict they'll finish above us unless we get our act together before the end of the window, but if that performance yesterday is anything to go by, they should be dropping a decent amount of points this season. A brainless challenge from Doucoure was pretty much all that separated them from a very average Everton side yesterday.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Think Tuchel gets away with a lot of ‘boring’ football.

Thing is, big teams who play boring football have a short shelf life. A collapse is on the horizon for Tuchel's era at Chelsea, it's a matter of when rather than if now. There's only so long that his system and Boehly's ambitions can coexist. With the amount of money they're pouring into signing great players, how patient is the owner going to be with a style that relies so so heavily on defenders scoring goals and Jorginho penalties?

Jim Beam

Werner has barely played as a striker for Tuchel, because he's kinda shit at it in a side who has a lot of possession.

All his best stuff came from out wide where he had a little more space and didn't have his back to goal.
He did play in front of Havertz and Mount when Tuchel first came and did buzz all around tbf. But, both Havertz and Mount looked better with him attacking the space he created imo. It looked much more fluid.

Guess we will see, you definitely need an upgrade upfront as it stands. Agree with you about Sterling though, he will be fine.

TheReligion

Abusive
I guess the manager has decided the good that Werner's runs do (and they are very effective) are not worth everything else Werner brings to the table.

We'll see how the season progresses. I don't think Sterling is wasted there at all, he had a goal disallowed (replacing Werner nicely!) and another denied by a fantastic last ditch tackle. If he plays like that every game he'll be fine.
Do you not feel it would make more sense using Havertz centrally and Sterling running in behind off him?

Havertz is a bit of an issue in the sense his position is so niche.

Status
Not open for further replies.