Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Kind of sad seeing the majority of our resident Chelsea fans slagging off Tuchel now he’s gone and kissing up to Boehly.

Very short memories. Tuchel did a lot for the club, especially last season.
I am a Chelsea fan and want what is best for Chelsea. I can still be a fan of Tuchel as a person and understand our football at the end of last season and this season has been painful to watch. It is a league based on production, if you are a top team and cannot produce the wins, it is time for a change.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Gotta be Potter. His general system is similar to what Tuchel was running, and he's a brilliant tactician so he can adapt if need be. If they get it done this quickly then I give them credit as it's a ruthless move but could very well be the correct one. The weird part is the huge backing Tuchel got just a week ago, and then he gets the sack now.

Not sure what the immediate fix in terms of how to get them playing well again. They lack some of the personnel going forward for a 3/5atb system, and have very little incisiveness in the side.

TheReligion

Abusive
I am a Chelsea fan and want what is best for Chelsea. I can still be a fan of Tuchel as a person and understand our football at the end of last season and this season has been painful to watch. It is a league based on production, if you are a top team and cannot produce the wins, it is time for a change.
Sorry but it just seems many of you are very fickle.

United posters have been shouted down as recently as the other day when muting the suggestion Tuchel could leave. We were told we would be made to look silly as he was in talks to sign a long term contract at the club as Boehly valued longevity and patience.

Now the same posters are trying to suggest this was all planned and Tuchel is some kind of menace who deserved to go.

Shame tbh.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

United posters have been shouted down as recently as the other day when muting the suggestion Tuchel could leave. We were told we would be made to look silly as he was in talks to sign a long term contract at the club as Boehly valued longevity and patience.

Now the same posters are trying to suggest this was all planned and Tuchel is some kind of menace who deserved to go.

Shame tbh.
I was not paying attention to the menace comments. We are all spectators in this. It is going to be what it is going to be and we really have no say in it. There are many many football fans in general that have been saying that Chelsea have become almost unwatchable. I can understand the need to change. It does not lower the respect I have for Tuchel.

cyberman

Shame tbh.
Yep, I was told they were going to go on a run after the West Ham game as well and how they were still nailed on for third but not quite as nailed on as before.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
To say I'm shocked and disappointed with the decision to sack Tuchel so early into the new regime would be an understatement. The man had his flaws and the recent results as well as the performances have been terrible but if you ask me he had definitely earned himself the chance to turn things around.

There were times the football wasn't great to watch but Tuchel is still one of my favorite ever Chelsea managers. The Champions League triumph is obviously the thing he'll be most remembered by, but also the way he calmly led the club through turbulent times when the takeover process and the sanctions were going on and the previous club leadership basically threw him to the wolves by forcing him to answer all those ridiculous questions in the media really endeared him for me. It's a sad end to what I really, honestly thought would be a much longer story.

In a way I do understand why the decision was made though. It's the same old story we saw time and time again under the Abramovich regime. The sacking was not only because of the recent results but rather because things were seemingly starting to heat up behind the scenes both with the players and with the new leadership. In a 'battle' like that there will only ever be one loser and it's always going to be the manager.

I have no clue about the specifics of Tuchel's conflict with Boehly and the other new stooges but with the players something's definitely seemed a little bit off lately (basically since pre-season). The body language of pretty much everyone seems terrible and Tuchel himself has also seemed a little bit tense in his pressers when talking about the players. The squad's largely the same as the one who outed Lampard and Sarri as soon as they didn't fancy them anymore. I thought those days were more or less over but that seemed to have been very foolish of me.

While I'm very disappointed to see Tuchel gone, I would also be cautiously optimistic about the future if Graham Potter is hired as his replacement. He's done a brilliant job at Brighton and I'd be eager to see how his football would translate to a better squad and a bigger transfer budget.

Tony247

Well at this rate of spending and sacking Chelsea fans at least won't miss Roman.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't fancy Chelsea for top 4 anymore now

Potter or whoever it is will need time, the squad isn't one that's guaranteed top 4 regardless of who the manager is

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Don't fancy Chelsea for top 4 anymore now

Potter or whoever it is will need time, the squad isn't one that's guaranteed top 4 regardless of who the manager is
Chelsea still reaching top 4 would be quite a bad look for two of Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Spurs.

Chelsea is MAD

I might get attacked here for my view's on Potter, but I will give it anyways.

Theoretically with the players we have, Graham is a great choice for our team. However, although he is doing great with Brighton which I give him 100% credit for, the problem he will face with Chelsea are all very similar. The problem is that he plays the 3 CB system. With Brighton this is not a problem because team's do not sit back and defend hard against Brighton. Their games are much more open then they would ever be with Chelsea. He will face very similar problems as Tuchel has, which is a lack of creativity in attack due to teams finding out the system and sitting back. This same problem arose also with Conte when he was here. The system is not great once teams know how to counter it, which is simply defend well and wait for the counter attack. The same problems will happen again with Potter because he entails the same Tuchel formation and style of play. This will again not translate well at Chelsea because teams will as usual, sit back and let us create absolutely nothing. Then wait for the chance at the break to hit us hard and win points.

This is why I am against Graham Potter. He will face the same lack of creativity problems as Tuchel has. I am very certain of this. Potter is a great tactician, but not at the same level as Tuchel is. If Tuchel ended badly here, what will the difference be with Potter? Nothing. He will simply get the same in a year or year and a half sadly.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Good move from Chelsea. And unfortunately evidence that Boehly already has football people around him. No chance he made that decision on his own.

Potter might get more time and patience then people think.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Potter is gambling his top-club career on a club in turmoil that just spend nearly 300million on players for a manager they were going to sack anyway, with a (for now) unknown quantity backroom staff to support operations after the season has started.

I get it, when a top6 club comes calling its tremendously hard to say no, both to the prestige and the substantially increased payday. But for someone who has the luxuryof observing this from afar... this is perhaps the worst option he can take. Either he pulls a major shift out of the hat, or he gets sacked by the end of the season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very good move by Chelsea, Potter is fantastic coach. I hope he forgets his wand when he signs for Chelsea.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good move from Chelsea. And unfortunately evidence that Boehly already has football people around him. No chance he made that decision on his own.

How long would you think that could be?

If they do give him, say, a four year contract, and they don't win anything, or finish in top four this season, I'm sure there would be supporters who would like him gone, but if they want to build something, then he is probably the best man to do that.
I always wanted him at OT, as I thought he would be given time to get the set up, recruitment and playing style right, he also gives youngsters opportunities, so for me an ideal Manchester United manager.
Time will certainly tell us.

NoPace

I might get attacked here for my view's on Potter, but I will give it anyways.

Theoretically with the players we have, Graham is a great choice for our team. However, although he is doing great with Brighton which I give him 100% credit for, the problem he will face with Chelsea are all very similar. The problem is that he plays the 3 CB system. With Brighton this is not a problem because team's do not sit back and defend hard against Brighton. Their games are much more open then they would ever be with Chelsea. He will face very similar problems as Tuchel has, which is a lack of creativity in attack due to teams finding out the system and sitting back. This same problem arose also with Conte when he was here. The system is not great once teams know how to counter it, which is simply defend well and wait for the counter attack. The same problems will happen again with Potter because he entails the same Tuchel formation and style of play. This will again not translate well at Chelsea because teams will as usual, sit back and let us create absolutely nothing. Then wait for the chance at the break to hit us hard and win points.

This is why I am against Graham Potter. He will face the same lack of creativity problems as Tuchel has. I am very certain of this. Potter is a great tactician, but not at the same level as Tuchel is. If Tuchel ended badly here, what will the difference be with Potter? Nothing. He will simply get the same in a year or year and a half sadly.
I don't think he's wedded to 3 at the back at all. He's not Conte. They play 4 at the back sometimes. You'll probably play a lot of 3 because you're used to it and Silva is old and slow and Cucarella and Chillwell can get in the team that way and James is great as a wingback, but if it doesn't work he'll switch to 4 I think, especially with Silva winding down his career.

Jim Beam

How long would you think that could be?

If they do give him, say, a four year contract, and they don't win anything, or finish in top four this season, I'm sure there would be supporters who would like him gone, but if they want to build something, then he is probably the best man to do that.
I always wanted him at OT, as I thought he would be given time to get the set up, recruitment and playing style right, he also gives youngsters opportunities, so for me an ideal Manchester United manager.
Time will certainly tell us.
Think he will certainly get away with "just" top 4 and getting out of CL group and then the next season he will be judged more harshly. He might even get away with slightly missing top 4 this season depending on playing style and dressing room atmosphere which got Tuchel sacked.

Also, considering his preffered 3-4-2-1 system with attacking wingbacks this Chelsea team suits him pretty well, so it is a good choice even from that perspective. And yeah, I also rate him quite highly, seems like being both tactically astute and having good man management skills from what he has shown so far. A big step obviously, so we will see.

Then again, we are finally in such a place that I don't look with envy when young talented coaches go elsewhere.

redcucumber

I mentioned it in the Potter-specific thread, but Boehly trying to force Ronaldo on Tuchel just doesn't bode well for a manager like Potter, does it? I thought he was quite regimented and particular about how a club should be set-up behind the scenes in order to achieve success. People see Chelsea going for an up-and-comer like Potter and assume Boehly is a forward-thinker but there's already a red flag or two. Impossible to tell at this stage, obviously, and will be really interesting to see how it pans out.

Majorly disappointing that the Tuchel-Conte feud is already over!

largelyworried

Couple of thoughts. Firstly that's obviously not the only reason they sacked him now, if it were just down to that they'd wait til the end of the season or the world cup when they could take their time. There has to be more as to why they chose almost the worst possible moment in the season to sack him, given how difficult they've made it for themselves.

Secondly, they're gambling big time on Potter being the right guy, because if he isn't cut out for the job, it won't just mean finding a new first team coach. It could undermine your DOF's position, your Head Scout's position, and so on. If I was going to rebuild a club and wanted my manager to be a key part of designing the rebuild, including helping to appoint the DOF, I would want a lot more than one day talking to them about it.

Jim Beam

Its where work interferes with real life. Emails should be enough.
'Morning Tuchy, you old dog! Had a breakfast, egg and a bit of toast just now. Like we will have them on toast in tomorrow's game, right? (wink, wink)'

followed by few sucking up smileys after...

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Shame they don't allow to start with 12 players, like Boehly wanted. He is a visionary after all, maybe he should propose it to FIFA.
That story sounds suspect from the start. After college in Virginia, Boehly attended London Business School and worked in London at Citibank. His friends described him as obsessed with football.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

I'll bet the new DOF has been found and verbally agreed, and he has had input on this.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That story sounds suspect from the start. After college in Virginia, Boehly attended London Business School and worked in London at Citibank. His friends described him as obsessed with football.
Of course it's complete horseshit. Gotta get clicks for that pay to view site though and "Americans think you can have 12 players" is something small brained people can get behind.

TheReligion

Abusive
So this is all on Tuchel then? You don’t think Boehly has done anything inflammatory?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why are you not interviewing other candidates or running a process?

I rate Potter but this is naive by Boehly
Supposedly Poch was spoken to, and Chelsea enquired about Amorim too but Potter was the guy they wanted. Nothing wrong with that, especially if he was as impressive during the interview process as he seems to be when we watch his Brighton team.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
reading the Athletic article, it seems part of the summer chaos was Tuchel not wanting a midfielder, then wanting one, not wanting Jesus as he didnt want a number 9, despite Jesus actually wanting to join us over Arsenal, then deciding he did need a number 9.

Along with other examples. Sad really because he is a world class coach, but perhaps Watzke at Dortmund was right, he is a great coach but a difficult person

And it is becoming apparent if Boehly had final say Ronaldo would be in our squad, he clearly wanted him.

I am convinced the new DOF is already sorted, as i posted to Jim Beam above, which will help from January on

NewYorkRed

Potter’s a massive risk. I think Poch would’ve been the best fit for them, his stock has fallen tons but he’s still an incredible manager. I’m skeptical that potter will work out there tbh.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
So this is all on Tuchel then? You don’t think Boehly has done anything inflammatory?
I think they clashed when it came to what Boehly wanted for the team, as Matt Law has detailed. You will not see me bashing Tuchel, it just was not going to work.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'll bet the new DOF has been found and verbally agreed, and he has had input on this.
There was someone who said this. Can't remember which ITK it was, maybe Ben Jacobs? Anyway, he said Chelsea have a DoF lined up and that guy had also had a say in decision to go with Potter.

TheReligion

Abusive
Supposedly Poch was spoken to, and Chelsea enquired about Amorim too but Potter was the guy they wanted. Nothing wrong with that, especially if he was as impressive during the interview process as he seems to be when we watch his Brighton team.
That makes sense although you have to wonder why the rushed decision?

Also seems odd still not having a DoF (why has that taken so long?) as they should be pivotal in any process not Boehly.

Status
Not open for further replies.