Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
There was someone who said this. Can't remember which ITK it was, maybe Ben Jacobs? Anyway, he said Chelsea have a DoF lined up and that guy had also had a say in decision to go with Potter.
Makes sense. I still think Edwards might get it [or has got it] if true.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't feel sorry for Tuchel. He's not perfect but still among the best managers in the world. If his boss is a dick and doesn't want to play to his strengths regardless of what he's achieved at Chelsea then he should leave as he deserves better. There will be no shortage of big clubs wanting his signature.

redcucumber

I think they clashed when it came to what Boehly wanted for the team, as Matt Law has detailed. You will not see me bashing Tuchel, it just was not going to work.
Will Potter be okay with Boehly being so forceful about particular players/ideas like he was with Ronaldo? Potter definitely seems a lot more accommodating than Tuchel who is known for being quite fiery, but that seems in large part because Potter goes to clubs where he has significant autonomy. The idea of having a chairman that is obsessed with football from an early age sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't feel sorry for Tuchel. He's not perfect but still among the best managers in the world. If his boss is a dick and doesn't want to play to his strengths regardless of what he's achieved at Chelsea then he should leave as he deserves better. There will be no shortage of big clubs wanting his signature.
Tuchel will be fine. He'll probably just take a break and chill for a bit and then replace Carlo at Real Madrid at the end of the season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Is this the most expensive sacking/hiring ever?

I read Tuchel gets £15m and Brighton £16m.

5 year deal for Potter.

They are some astonishing numbers for a coach aren’t they?

redcucumber

Tuchel will be fine. He'll probably just take a break and chill for a bit and then replace Carlo at Real Madrid at the end of the season.
Does his style of football match Real Madrid's? He's renowned for his conservatism.

BorisManUtd

I might get attacked here for my view's on Potter, but I will give it anyways.

Theoretically with the players we have, Graham is a great choice for our team. However, although he is doing great with Brighton which I give him 100% credit for, the problem he will face with Chelsea are all very similar. The problem is that he plays the 3 CB system. With Brighton this is not a problem because team's do not sit back and defend hard against Brighton. Their games are much more open then they would ever be with Chelsea. He will face very similar problems as Tuchel has, which is a lack of creativity in attack due to teams finding out the system and sitting back. This same problem arose also with Conte when he was here. The system is not great once teams know how to counter it, which is simply defend well and wait for the counter attack. The same problems will happen again with Potter because he entails the same Tuchel formation and style of play. This will again not translate well at Chelsea because teams will as usual, sit back and let us create absolutely nothing. Then wait for the chance at the break to hit us hard and win points.

This is why I am against Graham Potter. He will face the same lack of creativity problems as Tuchel has. I am very certain of this. Potter is a great tactician, but not at the same level as Tuchel is. If Tuchel ended badly here, what will the difference be with Potter? Nothing. He will simply get the same in a year or year and a half sadly.
Who would you personally want as a new manager? Pochettino or someone else?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Does his style of football match Real Madrid's? He's renowned for his conservatism.
I don't think that's generally true of Tuchel. His Dortmund and PSG teams were very attacking. Chelsea have been to an extent too, but he's been way more pragmatic at Chelsea than any of his other teams. He would be great at Real Madrid.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That makes sense although you have to wonder why the rushed decision?

Also seems odd still not having a DoF (why has that taken so long?) as they should be pivotal in any process not Boehly.
You say rushed, others will look at the same situation and see decisive.

They spent a lot of time courting Edwards, who seems determined to have his break from football, so the hiring process continues. But supposedly we're close to making that hire soon.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Is this the most expensive sacking/hiring ever?

I read Tuchel gets £15m and Brighton £16m.

5 year deal for Potter.

They are some astonishing numbers for a coach aren’t they?
Tuchel agreed to 7m pound buy out.
Still expensive when you add both.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Will Potter be okay with Boehly being so forceful about particular players/ideas like he was with Ronaldo? Potter definitely seems a lot more accommodating than Tuchel who is known for being quite fiery, but that seems in large part because Potter goes to clubs where he has significant autonomy. The idea of having a chairman that is obsessed with football from an early age sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.
Boehly was discussing it with Tuchel. Roman would have just bought him and told Tuchel he is on the team. I think it is more of a partnership they are looking at that Tuchel did not want to be a part of. That is how Matt Law was explaining it.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
No that will be Klopp at the end of the season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Chelsea manager payouts since 2003:
  • Antonio Conte (2018) - £26.6m
  • Jose Mourinho (2007) - £23.1m
  • Thomas Tuchel (2022) - £15m
  • Luiz Felipe Scolari (2009) - £12.6m
  • Andre Villas-Boas (2012) - £12m
  • Roberto Di Matteo (2012) - £10.7m
  • Jose Mourinho (2015) - £8.3m
  • Carlo Ancelotti (2011) - £6m
  • Claudio Ranieri (2004) - £6m
  • Avram Grant (2008) - £5.2m
  • Frank Lampard (2021) - £2m

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
…and seems heavily weighted in spinning things much like Jacobs (in favour of Chelsea/Boehly)
I looked for your 15m, the only ones using that number are the typical English trash reporting rags. Could you post your source for that number?

Chelsea is MAD

Who would you personally want as a new manager? Pochettino or someone else?
If it was up to me personally? I would go for Zidane, however I do not believe he would like to work in England. His wife doesnt want to live in England. Therefore I would give it to Pochettino. He has good communication with his players, he is understanding and comes off as caring towards his staff. I personally think his stint at PSG has taught him how to deal with the massive egos of footballers, so thats a new feather to add in his toolkit. He isnt a bad tactician either.

TheReligion

Abusive
All joking aside this will be interesting to watch unfold.

I think Potter is great however that doesn’t always translate immediately to a much bigger club and weight of expectation. That includes more games, pressure and difficult personalities to manage.

Its also interesting as it represents a change in Chelsea’s policy by going for up and coming/inexperienced as opposed to someone like Zidane or Luis Enrique.

Tinúviel

Potter going to Chelsea is absolutely sickening.
Me and my boyfriend have been following him since he was in Östersund. And what he did to that club is nothing short of a miracle.
He was our nr 1 choice for the United gig.
Nice job Chelsea, im extremely jealous, but hey ho.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

I think Potter is great however that doesn’t always translate immediately to a much bigger club and weight of expectation. That includes more games, pressure and difficult personalities to manage.

Its also interesting as it represents a change in Chelsea’s policy by going for up and coming/inexperienced as opposed to someone like Zidane or Luis Enrique.
You could literally say that about anyone who hasn’t managed a big club until they are given the opportunity to do so.

Jury is still out on Zidane, he had great success with one outstanding team, I really can’t see him repeating success of the same magnitude at another club. The other name bandied around is Poch but he can’t handle big egos and did an average job with the best team in France.

I’m happy Potter was given the chance. He has earned a shot at a big club unlike a Lampard, who was just given it (as much as I love him) or an Ole for similar reasons.

TheReligion

Abusive
You could literally say that about anyone who hasn’t managed a big club until they are given the opportunity to do so.

Jury is still out on Zidane, he had great success with one outstanding team, I really can’t see him repeating success of the same magnitude at another club. The other name bandied around is Poch but he can’t handle big egos and did an average job with the best team in France.

I’m happy Potter was given the chance. He has earned a shot at a big club unlike a Lampard, who was just given it (as much as I love him) or an Ole for similar reasons.
It will be even trickier for Potter coming in now too without a pre season, his own players in and amidst what looks like chaos inside the club with Boehly.

Games coming thick and fast.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Managers will have to make the step up at some to prove they can do it at the highest level. No one knows for sure until they do it, but until someone takes the chance on them, they won’t get the opportunity to show it.

When Tuchel was at Mainz, someone could have said, well can he manage the egos in the dressing room and pressure/expectations at Dortmund. Same thing with Klopp when he made the same journey. Conte went from Siena who had just been promoted from Serie B to Juve. Yeah some managers will be given a chance and prove not to be ready for that level, others will thrive. Won’t know until someone is brave enough to give a manager like that a chance.

TheReligion

Abusive
Managers will have to make the step up at some to prove they can do it at the highest level. No one knows for sure until they do it, but until someone takes the chance on them, they won’t get the opportunity to show it.

When Tuchel was at Mainz, someone could have said, well can he manage the egos in the dressing room and pressure/expectations at Dortmund. Same thing with Klopp when he made the same journey. Conte went from Siena who had just been promoted from Serie B to Juve. Yeah some managers will be given a chance and prove not to be ready for that level, others will thrive. Won’t know until someone is brave enough to give a manager like that a chance.
I’m aware, but it’s not like Chelsea to take a risk like this and it won’t necessarily be a smooth ride. The circumstances he’s coming in to are far from ideal.

mu4c_20le

Conte was already a Juve legend, and Tuchel was chosen because he employed a similar pressing philosophy to replace Klopp.

This feels more like Liverpool poaching Rodgers from Swansea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Conte was already a Juve legend, and Tuchel was chosen because he employed a similar pressing philosophy to replace Klopp.

This feels more like Liverpool poaching Rodgers from Swansea.
Not the point. Those managers still had those same questions hanging over them about handling the step up in pressure and expectations that @TheReligion and many others are asking.

Gazza

BorisManUtd

If it was up to me personally? I would go for Zidane, however I do not believe he would like to work in England. His wife doesnt want to live in England. Therefore I would give it to Pochettino. He has good communication with his players, he is understanding and comes off as caring towards his staff. I personally think his stint at PSG has taught him how to deal with the massive egos of footballers, so thats a new feather to add in his toolkit. He isnt a bad tactician either.
I really like Poch too, will be interesting to see how he does at his next club. It's big challenge for Potter now to prove his worth at Chelsea but think his ability is/can be even bigger than Pochettino's.

Lecland07

Chelsea manager payouts since 2003:
  • Antonio Conte (2018) - £26.6m
  • Jose Mourinho (2007) - £23.1m
  • Thomas Tuchel (2022) - £15m
  • Luiz Felipe Scolari (2009) - £12.6m
  • Andre Villas-Boas (2012) - £12m
  • Roberto Di Matteo (2012) - £10.7m
  • Jose Mourinho (2015) - £8.3m
  • Carlo Ancelotti (2011) - £6m
  • Claudio Ranieri (2004) - £6m
  • Avram Grant (2008) - £5.2m