Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Chalobah has played nearly 50 games for Chelsea from the beginning of last season to now and is now knocking on the door for an England call up. He's a fully fledged member of the first team. Fully integrated, exactly what you say Chelsea should be doing.
Chalobah also signed a new contract till 2028 just a couple weeks ago. I'm still not quite sure if he's good enough to be a long term starter in the team but like you said he's definitely a fully fledged first team player now, whether it's as a starter or in a more rotational capacity.

Datro Fofana signing from Molde. Not a clue about him. Squad filler or out on loan perhaps
Seems like a reactionary signing to make up for Broja's injury so I very much doubt he's going on loan anytime soon.

Never heard of him so I'm not sure how good he is but a cheap £8M punt on a promising youngster is probably not the worst of ideas when we're a player short up front.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
To be honest, i felt like that at the end with Auba as well, so I can feel your pain. Can add Lacazette in that as well. When Nketiah comes in and out performs you, you know something is not good. ;)

You know what, wouldn't it be ironic if an Ivorian kid playing in Norway breaks the Chelsea striker curse.
Auba is honestly a giant waste of time. Would prefer to chuck a 17 year old from the U18 team into the first team than watch another minute of Auba at Chelsea. He's washed and belongs in the MLS or the Qatari league.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Meet your new Chelsea number 9.

Brighton were interested in him. We took some of their scouting team and the beginnings of our new scouting department have ok’d the purchase. Seems to have a little trickery about him. Good price for a gamble. This is the type of player a lot of fans for every club want to see, an unknown given a chance rather than him joining a RB team and his price sky rocket.

If it fails, we can recoup most of this back so it’s worth the risk. Auba is next to useless so it’s not like it’s going to make us any worse for not trying.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Auba is honestly a giant waste of time. Would prefer to chuck a 17 year old from the U18 team into the first team than watch another minute of Auba at Chelsea. He's washed and belongs in the MLS or the Qatari league.
The two Milan games sucked me in a bit but yeah he's done.

I guess law of averages we were going to sign an ex Arsenal dud one day, hopefully Hutchinson resumes normal service immediately :lol:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Seen some suggestion in The Athletic Fofana may actually head straight out on loan, aswell as Casadei who is apparently looking quite some player at the younger level.

If we did sign another St/attacker in Jan in addition to Fofana which seems may be the case, my bet is Ivan Toney or Joao Felix

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Seen some suggestion in The Athletic Fofana may actually head straight out on loan, aswell as Casadei who is apparently looking quite some player at the younger level.

If we did sign another St/attacker in Jan in addition to Fofana which seems may be the case, my bet is Ivan Toney or Joao Felix
Would you go for Toney with the possible betting charge hanging over him? I suppose you might try and get an indication of what sort of punishment he's likely to receive.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

He looks to have outgrown youth football before we even signed him. I can imagine having him play U21 football was just a way to help settle into life London and at Chelsea. He 100% should be on loan playing against actual pros. I would be disappointed if we didn't at least keep Fofana around until the summer to see what he's about.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Would you go for Toney with the possible betting charge hanging over him? I suppose you might try and get an indication of what sort of punishment he's likely to receive.
forgot abou the betting charge actually, scrap him then

TheReligion

Abusive

Felix? Would have exactly the same issue at Chelsea as Havertz

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah he’s a very difficult player to utilise these days, comes with so many problems tactically and nowhere near the same benefits he used to bring. He always seemed like a player who would go down this route too, once he lost the qualities that made him such an effective goal scorer, there’s not really much else there to work with.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Felix? Would have exactly the same issue at Chelsea as Havertz
What’s worse than having one Havertz in the team. Two Havertz.. all joking aside both don’t really have a clear position and that’s what hurts them the most. Technically both fine players, just incredibly awkward to utilize to the full potential.

TheReligion

Abusive
What’s worse than having one Havertz in the team. Two Havertz.. all joking aside both don’t really have a clear position and that’s what hurts them the most. Technically both fine players, just incredibly awkward to utilize to the full potential.
I agree. Would be the wrong profile of forward you need in my opinion.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
exactly. You’re being linked to everyone again but you need the right fit. That’s not another Havertz type.
But i think felix just random rumour. We look more for leao than felix. I have still lot of hope for havertz. He has all the technical qualities to become a great player.Just we didnt able to bring best out of him continuously. Our continuous change in personal in most games didnt allow team to create cohesive unit. Will have to wait and see how we start the restart. But not much optimistic unlike start of the season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah he’s a very difficult player to utilise these days, comes with so many problems tactically and nowhere near the same benefits he used to bring. He always seemed like a player who would go down this route too, once he lost the qualities that made him such an effective goal scorer, there’s not really much else there to work with.
He also looks totally disinterested. There's absolutely nothing you can do with a player who doesn't even bother to look like he's trying.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He also looks totally disinterested. There's absolutely nothing you can do with a player who doesn't even bother to look like he's trying.
Yeah that was the case during the end of his time at Arsenal, he was never the hardest working forward even in his pomp but his work rate was pretty disgraceful towards the end.

Do you think the Tuchel situation has played a part in his current disinterest or do you think he would have clocked out anyway?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that was the case during the end of his time at Arsenal, he was never the hardest working forward even in his pomp but his work rate was pretty disgraceful towards the end.

Do you think the Tuchel situation has played a part in his current disinterest or do you think he would have clocked out anyway?
Hard to tell, he looked really on it against Milan early on and was okay in and around that.

I would say maybe that was him trying to prove a point to his old employers but on that basis he would have been even more fired up for Arsenal.

It's a shame we didn't get him in 2017 really.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Chalobah also signed a new contract till 2028 just a couple weeks ago. I'm still not quite sure if he's good enough to be a long term starter in the team but like you said he's definitely a fully fledged first team player now, whether it's as a starter or in a more rotational capacity.

Seems like a reactionary signing to make up for Broja's injury so I very much doubt he's going on loan anytime soon.

Never heard of him so I'm not sure how good he is but a cheap £8M punt on a promising youngster is probably not the worst of ideas when we're a player short up front.
Not a reactionary signing to Broja. Also not expected to come in and immediately play the number of minutes Broja was. I suppose if he does well enough that could change. The fact is Paul Winstanley has been scouting this kid for a long time, and he was one of his top targets for Brighton. Shields, Vivell and the rest of the group were sold on him, and if we want him we had to move now because Brighton knew they had to move as well.

Im not going to pretend I know anything about him, but our new scouting group apparently think VERY highly of him and his potential.

This has been in the works under the radar for awhile now though. Really, since Winstanley came on board.

I would expect we will still sign an additional striker in January rather than waiting til Summer due to Broja. Whether it works out how they want is another matter.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I think he would have clocked out anyway. I honestly don’t think he gives a shit about playing for Chelsea and is just here because we offered him a decent paycheque, regardless of whether Tuchel was here or not.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think he would have clocked out anyway. I honestly don’t think he gives a shit about playing for Chelsea and is just here because we offered him a decent paycheque, regardless of whether Tuchel was here or not.
I’d go one further and say he doesn’t have the energy levels to do anything but check out. I think the person who said if he had it he would have put forth the effort against Arsenal at the very least was on to something.

I didn’t follow this guy closely, but I’m looking at his Medicals … and he had Malaria then Covid twice in a period of a year and a half.., THEN a diagnosed heart issue resulting from those events. Even if he cleared a physical … is he really ready to play at a high level week in, week out?

I also think this was the secret behind the annoyance with the Ronaldo interaction.

B: “what about Ronaldo?”

T:”no”
B:” why?”
T: “just no”
B to assistant Tuchel told him to talk to instead: “so why no Ronaldo?”
Assistant: “he’s old, past it, and he’s death to locker rooms”
B:”Ok, who does he want then?”
Assistant:” Pierre Emerick Aubamayang”
B:” But… wait……isn’t he also old and death to lock..”
Assistant:” MASTER SAID AUBAMAYANG!”
B: “Oooooook”

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’d go one further and say he doesn’t have the energy levels to do anything but check out. I think the person who said if he had it he would have put forth the effort against Arsenal at the very least was on to something.

I didn’t follow this guy closely, but I’m looking at his Medicals … and he had Malaria then Covid twice in a period of a year and a half.., THEN a diagnosed heart issue resulting from those events. Even if he cleared a physical … is he really ready to play at a high level week in, week out?

I also think this was the secret behind the annoyance with the Ronaldo interaction.

Yeah I guess that's fair. But effort is honestly the lowest expectation you can set for a player. If you can't even pass the lowest of the low bars then it begins to feel deliberate and I can't respect that.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Top notch breakdown as always, but he's spelled 'Aubameyang'.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Have you lads not got any more friendlies to play before the season restarts? Is it just the 1 you had vs Aston Villa?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Have you lads not got any more friendlies to play before the season restarts? Is it just the 1 you had vs Aston Villa?
There’s a behind closed doors friendly vs Brentford but I’m not aware of any other games.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
There’s a behind closed doors friendly vs Brentford but I’m not aware of any other games.
Bit surprised by that. We've already played Watford behind closed doors, Lyon, AC Milan and are playing Juventus just now. Worry about being a bit rusty?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Bit surprised by that. We've already played Watford behind closed doors, Lyon, AC Milan and are playing Juventus just now. Worry about being a bit rusty?
Our preparations this season have been a mess in general. Tuchel started pre-season later than other teams and now we have under prepared again. That being said, I don’t know how many game would be necessary. Certainly a week or two ago it would have mostly be squad players and youth so there’s not much benefit to be had there. But we could have definitely got at least another game in for sure with some of the more key players.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
With our injury record this season and broja injury last friendly we are glad about our friendly schedules. :lol:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Right now we’re probably worried about fielding a team… the squad we fielded against Aston Villa had like 6 U23’s in the starting lineup, so I’m not sure how much benefit we would have gotten from more friendlies anyway. Most are either injured, recovering from injury, or were at the WC and still on break.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Thanks for the replies guys. How players / teams respond after the World Cup is a definite worry. We're lucky in that most of our players are already back, although the guys that went out from quarter final onwards (Saka and Martinelli mainly) are only starting training with the team this week. Saliba of course will still be with France although not played many minutes, but I'd imagine he will be the likely main absentee from the West Ham game on boxing day apart from injuries.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
It’s not just the creativity it’s the fit. Felix simply doesn’t suit Chelsea
We lack creativity massively, Felix would help that alot more than Havertz.
Hard to say who fits right now because we change the formation/team and tactics every game.
People think Havertz is a number 10, why would i want a 10 who isn't creative?. In the PL he has created only 4 big chances in nearly 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.