Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
We lack creativity massively, Felix would help that alot more than Havertz.
Hard to say who fits right now because we change the formation/team and tactics every game.
People think Havertz is a number 10, why would i want a 10 who isn't creative?. In the PL he has created only 4 big chances in nearly 3 seasons.
No one knows what Havertz is really but at the moment he’s looking like a 75m flop..

TheReligion

Abusive
I wouldn’t be confident you need to spend mega money on another player who doesn’t really have a defined role like Felix.

Nkunku is another who isn’t a 9 or CF.

You seem to be trying to collect these players and spending a fortune in doing so.

How does it all fit and who is the focal point of the attack?

Vapor trail

We lack creativity massively, Felix would help that alot more than Havertz.
Hard to say who fits right now because we change the formation/team and tactics every game.
People think Havertz is a number 10, why would i want a 10 who isn't creative?. In the PL he has created only 4 big chances in nearly 3 seasons.
Felix and Havertz similar profile of player. Chelsea need a clinical finisher. Sterling is neither a clinical forward, his goals contributions came as a result of volume at City. Chelsea ought to look at the likes of a Toney (profile) to bring those guys into play with enough creativity in the midfield.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wouldn’t be confident you need to spend mega money on another player who doesn’t really have a defined role like Felix.

You seem to be trying to collect these players and spending a fortune in doing so.

Maybe they just want a fluid attack.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Honestly hope we don’t go for Felix. What we absolutely need is a CM that’s ready for a fight and can take control when things are not going to plan. Kante is likely to leave and as good as Kovacic and Jorginho are, they aren’t leaders. Give me someone who loves a crunching tackle to get the crowd going.

TheReligion

Abusive
Honestly hope we don’t go for Felix. What we absolutely need is a CM that’s ready for a fight and can take control when things are not going to plan. Kante is likely to leave and as good as Kovacic and Jorginho are, they aren’t leaders. Give me someone who loves a crunching tackle to get the crowd going.
Is Jorginho staying?

Caceido makes sense for you

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Is Jorginho staying?

Caceido makes sense for you
Hard to say. His agent says his first choice is to continue at Chelsea but for a while Rudigers agent said the same thing. I wouldn’t care either way, perhaps a move is best for both parties but if he stays he would definitely still have a role to play.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
For me Felix would be a perfect fit alongside Nkunku and Sterling. He's become extremely good at ball retention during his time at Atleti and at the moment we are missing that up top - it's why we've improved at times with Broja on the pitch.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Vivell appointed as chelsea technical director. Finally club will be relieved from boehly directly signing players on his own. :lol: .

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Here we go. David datro fofana deal done for €12 mn from molde. Medical today.Welcome to chelsea.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
No one knows what Havertz is really but at the moment he’s looking like a 75m flop..
It's the problem with regression the mean, in general one great season doesn't mean it's an upward trajectory.

I think you always need two seasons or more for it to be a distinct pattern.

E.g. if you go score 10 goals season 1, 30 season 2, it doesn't mean seasons 3 and 4 will be 30 or more, the likely hood is it could be form and you could drop back to 10 goals again.

Of course talking to the players coaches and knowing the character of the player, doing a lot of scouting helps but I'm not convinced by Havertz either, too much money for what he brings to the table imo.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Vivell appointed as chelsea technical director. Finally club will be relieved from boehly directly signing players on his own. :lol: .
Boehly was never signing players on his own. It was stated clearly many times that Tuchel and the club were identifying the players. Boehly was the one doing the negotiations, he can’t target players if he knows little about football. Together they attempted to sign like for like players to patch up the squad using players that were available for sale to minimize negotiation time.

The hindsight to this is that it was the wrong decision. But it was always going to be a window of chaos. Hopefully it’ll be the only time. The actual intended strategy is to buy the word best talent early to save potentially millions. With youngsters it’s never a given if they will succeed so it’s a gamble and we will probably be laughed at for some future subsequent transfers.

The second part of the strategy is for Boehly to own multiple clubs, guaranteeing first team exposure and playing time that’s not always given with loans. These players will likely be transferred between clubs to circumvent loan restrictions, inflated salaries and to balance sheets for FFP. Think Udinese and Red Bull teams.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly was never signing players on his own. It was stated clearly many times that Tuchel and the club were identifying the players. Boehly was the one doing the negotiations, he can’t target players if he knows little about football. Together they attempted to sign like for like players to patch up the squad using players that were available for sale to minimize negotiation time.

The hindsight to this is that it was the wrong decision. But it was always going to be a window of chaos. Hopefully it’ll be the only time. The actual intended strategy is to buy the word best talent early to save potentially millions. With youngsters it’s never a given if they will succeed so it’s a gamble and we will probably be laughed at for some future subsequent transfers.

The second part of the strategy is for Boehly to own multiple clubs, guaranteeing first team exposure and playing time that’s not always given with loans. These players will likely be transferred between clubs to circumvent loan restrictions, inflated salaries and to balance sheets for FFP. Think Udinese and Red Bull teams.
The only signing I wasn't fully okay with from the beginning was Auba. Yeah we have overpaid for some players (Fofana, Cucurella) but they are players I was pretty happy with when they were signed and it has only been 4 months. The idea that everyone has just collectively decided they are mostly bad signings is just weird. They may all end up being that way but for now they've all only been Chelsea players for 4 months.

It wasn't that long ago when we used to afford players at least a full season before writing them off the bad signings.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

I said it sarcastically for certain poster keep on implying boehly is bad and all. He signed players to improve the team.

Unfortunately our defense was ripped apart due to sanctions and long term injury to chilwell that forced us to overpay for cucu and fofana.

At least from now on they can't blame boehly though.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

There's nothing wrong with those strategies per se, it's how they are implemented that will determine how successful they are.
There's a danger of trying to do too much too fast in terms of the recruitment side of things. You guys already had the best academy in the country, and the conveyer belt of players coming through was really just starting to bear fruit. I think perhaps an evolution rather than a revolution would be better, rather than signing multiple 18-21 year olds from external clubs almost squashing the work you've already done. Then of course these players really need a path to the first team, and not be blocked consistently by big fee first team signings constantly.

As for having a network of clubs, again that's good in theory. But to really make it worthwhile, those clubs need to be or get to a decent level in those leagues that give these high class youngsters a decent level to play in. Look at the City group for instance, can anyone name any player that successfully transitioned from these partner clubs into first team players? It works with the Red Bull clubs, partly because because Leipzig isn't elite level, and is still a club where players can be developed without pressure to win.

In the elite clubs like City and Chelsea, only the best youngsters make it through, and most of the time the best youngsters are too good for the likes of Girona and Lommel already. I seen Bluelion mention a strategy with players like Endrick, but how do you convince someone like Endrick who is already starting at a big club like Palmeiras, to sign for you and spend a couple of years on loan an at a lesser Brazilian club?

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
There's nothing wrong with those strategies per se, it's how they are implemented that will determine how successful they are.
There's a danger of trying to do too much too fast in terms of the recruitment side of things. You guys already had the best academy in the country, and the conveyer belt of players coming through was really just starting to bear fruit. I think perhaps an evolution rather than a revolution would be better, rather than signing multiple 18-21 year olds from external clubs almost squashing the work you've already done. Then of course these players really need a path to the first team, and not be blocked consistently by big fee first team signings constantly.

As for having a network of clubs, again that's good in theory. But to really make it worthwhile, those clubs need to be or get to a decent level in those leagues that give these high class youngsters a decent level to play in. Look at the City group for instance, can anyone name any player that successfully transitioned from these partner clubs into first team players? It works with the Red Bull clubs, partly because because Leipzig isn't elite level, and is still a club where players can be developed without pressure to win.

In the elite clubs like City and Chelsea, only the best youngsters make it through, and most of the time the best youngsters are too good for the likes of Girona and Lommel already. I seen Bluelion mention a strategy with players like Endrick, but how do you convince someone like Endrick who is already starting at a big club like Palmeiras, to sign for you and spend a couple of years on loan an at a lesser Brazilian club?
I agree. I dont want our academy to suffer because we have gone back to signing a load of foreign youth. One of the reasons are academy is doing so well on a developmental level is because we had mostly moved away from that and focused on local talent who buy into the clubs ethos. Your are also right about the City group but I feel like for them, it was more about selling their brand to the World. As good as they are on the field, they are still pretty tiny off it. I currently live in the states and City are still regularly confused for United and I dont think theyll be able to shake that off for a long time.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The only signing I wasn't fully okay with from the beginning was Auba. Yeah we have overpaid for some players (Fofana, Cucurella) but they are players I was pretty happy with when they were signed and it has only been 4 months. The idea that everyone has just collectively decided they are mostly bad signings is just weird. They may all end up being that way but for now they've all only been Chelsea players for 4 months.

It wasn't that long ago when we used to afford players at least a full season before writing them off the bad signings.
Fofana will turn out to be a top signing. Of that i am convinced. And Cucurella is good, i think the fee clouds peoples judgements. As, perhaps rightly, they expect to see a 60m fullback, which he isnt. But he is still very good... Looking forward to seeing Andrey Santos, Brazilian journos say he and Endrick are the best talents in the country, along with some Vitor Roque [also wanted by us]

Will probably see one or 2 first team signings this window, and another big summer IMO. Suspect Santos and Fofana go on loan.

I do hope our new structure lends itself to much better windows going forward, which tbh, isnt hard.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I agree. I dont want our academy to suffer because we have gone back to signing a load of foreign youth. One of the reasons are academy is doing so well on a developmental level is because we had mostly moved away from that and focused on local talent who buy into the clubs ethos. Your are also right about the City group but I feel like for them, it was more about selling their brand to the World. As good as they are on the field, they are still pretty tiny off it. I currently live in the states and City are still regularly confused for United and I dont think theyll be able to shake that off for a long time.
Interestingly Eghbali said at a forum that he considers our academy one of the best in the world, or Europe, so they are still interested in it. Also said they want a multi club model to tap into South American talent, and they also consider Africa an untapped market for talent. So might be a few from that area coming in, too

Tony247

I witnessed their spending in 2003/04. It was big but it had a purpose. But this spending is so scattered, so disoriented, it feels like a dude throwing his lottery money around on everything he wanted, not needed.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I witnessed their spending in 2003/04. It was big but it had a purpose. But this spending is so scattered, so disoriented, it feels like a dude throwing his lottery money around on everything he wanted, not needed.

Yep. Seemingly looking to hijack our Mudryk deal by blowing us out water. Seems their MO is to flex their financial muscles throwing shit at a wall until something sticks.

cyberman

I’m trying to remember if Chelsea have played a big team away from home yet?

FriedClams

Chelsea don’t concern me at all this season, and probably even next. They are two PL losses in a row away from genuine talk about sacking potter, and the games are v man city and away at Fulham in a derby. They have a tough run of fixtures coming up against teams with an established playing style that they’ll find difficult to get anything from, all the while they are still trying to figure out their own system with the strangest collection of players I’ve seen at a club.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Chelsea don’t concern me at all this season, and probably even next. They are two PL losses in a row away from genuine talk about sacking potter, and the games are v man city and away at Fulham in a derby. They have a tough run of fixtures coming up against teams with an established playing style that they’ll find difficult to get anything from, all the while they are still trying to figure out their own system with the strangest collection of players I’ve seen at a club.
Shame Mitro got booked and is out of the Chelsea game.

Raw

I’m trying to remember if Chelsea have played a big team away from home yet?
They actually haven't, that's mad.

Chelsea 2-2 Spurs
Chelsea - Liverpool postponed
Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd
Chelsea 0-1 Arsenal
Chelsea v Man City tomorrow.

They have had City away but that was in the cup, lost that 2-0.

Really poor results, all these teams away in the second half of the season will be huge for their top 4 hopes.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can see them picking up big points away from home against the top 6, oddly enough.

Amazing Santos

Really poor results, all these teams away in the second half of the season will be huge for their top 4 hopes.
They have no top 4 hopes.

Poor management, awful transfer strategy. They have basically lost the plot.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Todd is quoted as saying he’ll blow you out of the water!
Yeah, mentioned that in the Mudryk thread. If that's the case we'll just walk away, we won't get drawn into bidding wars. Shame to, as I think the lad has the potential to be a very good player, whether he signs for us or not.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yep. Seemingly looking to hijack our Mudryk deal by blowing us out water. Seems their MO is to flex their financial muscles throwing shit at a wall until something sticks.
I mean, it's quite an obvious attempt from Donetsk to raise the price up on your end.

The Purley King

Just signed Badiashile from Monaco for £35m - on a 7.5 year deal.
7 and a half years is a bit excessive isn't it? Presumably done for amortisation reasons?

bringbackbebe

Just signed Badiashile from Monaco for £35m - on a 7.5 year deal.
7 and a half years is a bit excessive isn't it? Presumably done for amortisation reasons?
It'll help retain his value & ensure he doesn't leave on a free transfer, just like Phil Jones, Bailly etc. Good work by Woody tying Badiashile down. Oh wait...

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
How does this work for the player?

Signed a contract ensuring increasing wages by X amount per year? Happy with 50k a week for 7.5 years? They've gave him mega money to start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.