Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't understand what has happened to Badiashile - he looked like a very promising player last year, yet this season he has been maybe the worst CB in the top 5 leagues?

Also would continue to reiterate that Gallagher is a complete liability in the final third & Poch insisting on him being there is a sackable offense.

Also also Chelsea should stop trying to make Alfie Gilchrist happen. It's not going to happen.
He was so good last season. He’s been so bad this season. I think there’s a player in there somewhere but my god the drop off after his injury has been brutal to watch.

I like Gilchrist, and I think he’s a decent squad player but we have like a laundry list of players currently in the academy better than him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Jackson is so bad it actually annoys me.
He’s good at many things but he’s a truly awful finisher. He’s more of a left winger, second striker or false 9 to me than a proper lone striker. He’s creative, quick, can hold the ball relatively well and has pretty good link up play but he can’t finish a chance to save his life. I actually love watching him except when he gets in front of the goal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He was so good last season. He’s been so bad this season. I think there’s a player in there somewhere but my god the drop off after his injury has been brutal to watch.

I like Gilchrist, and I think he’s a decent squad player but we have like a laundry list of players currently in the academy better than him.
Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't think Gilchrist is anywhere near a decent squad player. Comparing him to the likes of Paulo Ferreira, Juliano Belletti, Geremi, Jose Bosingwa, etc who at times were squad players at RB - he's nowhere near.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He’s good at many things but he’s a truly awful finisher. He’s more than f a left winger, second striker or false 9 than a proper lone striker. He’s creative, quick, can hold the ball relatively well and has pretty good link up play but he can’t finish a chance to save his life. I actually love watching him except when he gets in front of the goal.
If he could be our starting left winger next year I wouldn't hate it - if we can convince someone like Gyokeres to come in

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If he could be our starting left winger next year I wouldn't hate it - if we can convince someone like Gyokeres to come in
I’m not convinced by Gyokeres, but yeah I like the idea of Jackson being our left winger after this season. He’s very creative and he’s quick as feck. He’s very entertaining to watch until he gets into the box and he has to score.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe I'm being harsh but I don't think Gilchrist is anywhere near a decent squad player. Comparing him to the likes of Paulo Ferreira, Juliano Belletti, Geremi, Jose Bosingwa, etc who at times were squad players at RB - he's nowhere near.
Yeah but he’s almost 4th choice RB here after James, Gusto and even Disasi. That’s not a bad 4th choice to have is what I’m getting at. It’s his first start with 6 games remaining and it’s basically a forced one because we have an injury crisis. I’m fine with him being that kind of squad player.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not convinced by Gyokeres, but yeah I like the idea of Jackson being our left winger after this season. He’s very creative and he’s quick as feck. He’s very entertaining to watch until he gets into the box and he has to score.
Gyokeres is a channel running demon who can run defenses ragged both vertically and laterally - now that I think about it the dream is to bring Tuchel back and go 3-4-2-1:

Nkunku - Gyokeres - Palmer
Chilwell - Enzo - Caicedo - James
Colwill - Chalobah - Disasi
(Diogo Costa?)

That's an excellent team all things considered. What stands out the most about Gyokeres is his ability to move into wide areas and then find other runners - 12 assists this year for Sporting is nothing to shake a stick at

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Gyokeres is a channel running demon who can run defenses ragged both vertically and laterally - now that I think about it the dream is to bring Tuchel back and go 3-4-2-1:

Nkunku - Gyokeres - Palmer
Chilwell - Enzo - Caicedo - James
Colwill - Chalobah - Disasi
(Diogo Costa?)

That's an excellent team all things considered. What stands out the most about Gyokeres is his ability to move into wide areas and then find other runners - 12 assists this year for Sporting is nothing to shake a stick at
Is Nkunku the left sided forward here or just a forward that can play off Gyokeres and interchange positions with him?

Im not having Chilwell as my starting LWB next season. He’s utterly unreliable and also nowhere near the level he was 3 years ago. He honestly looked washed. We need a new starting LB/LWB. Ideally Maatsen but pure profit innit.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Is Nkunku the left sided forward here or just a forward that can play off Gyokeres and interchange positions with him?

Im not having Chilwell as my starting LWB next season. He’s utterly unreliable and also nowhere near the level he was 3 years ago. He honestly looked washed. We need a new starting LB/LWB. Ideally Maatsen but pure profit innit.
I'm envisioning a box midfield rotating clockwise so Nkunku drops into midfield as needed but less so compared to Palmer.

And yeah imagine turning your nose up at the player who will likely be the starter for Bayern Munich next year who is 22 years old on the basis of 409 minutes this year where he's been played out of position. Absolutely shambolic.

bringbackbebe

Are you guys going to have another exciting summer transfer window or is all the Boehly money spunked already?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Are you guys going to have another exciting summer transfer window or is all the Boehly money spunked already?
My guess would be a bunch of outgoings and a few key improvements coming in.

The outgoing bunch will be largely made of players currently shipped out on loan (Maatsen, Broja, Lukaku, Kepa etc.) but also a few first teamers like Silva, Chalobah and sadly Gallagher. There's also a few players I'm sure the club would be happy to get rid of (ie. Sterling, Cucurella) but finding a buyer for them seems unlikely.

Priority for the incomings should be a leading CB and a first choice striker. After that any further signings will depend on clearing space in the squad (ie. if Sterling goes then a new winger needs to come in).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I heard about this injury back in October I think. He’s been playing with an injury that requires surgery this whole season?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
My guess would be a bunch of outgoings and a few key improvements coming in.
Well, what you're hoping to be improvements. Considering the recent track record, we can all hope you mess up spectacularly again :lol:
I heard about this injury back in October I think. He’s been playing with an injury that requires surgery this whole season?

It's not uncommon for players to play through injury that might require surgery. It's also possible the condition may have evolved and now requires surgery. He definitely hasn't particularly looked like he was playing through any particular pain (unlike Rashford a few seasons back).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We still have a chance of top 6... a £50m run in the Europa next season can make all the difference to us.

Looking at his performances though, I can see why he'd opt for surgery, if it's hindering him, and we're better off playing someone else.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's not uncommon for players to play through injury that might require surgery. It's also possible the condition may have evolved and now requires surgery. He definitely hasn't particularly looked like he was playing through any particular pain (unlike Rashford a few seasons back).
Rashford looks like he's playing through pain in every match these days. The existential pain of life.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
£50 million from the Europa? Didn't know it was that much.
If can win it, I think should be around that these days (not including gates possibly), which would surely be the aim, also get the CL so don't only rely on the league. It's not too be sniffed at. Conference league, not so much...

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
It might be a situation comparable to Sané‘s at Bayern. He is barely hanging in there and will only feature in CL games or short cameos for the rest of the season. Had Bayern lost to Arsenal they probably would’ve shut him down until the Euros. Similar to what’s now happening to Enzo.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It might be a situation comparable to Sané‘s at Bayern. He is barely hanging in there and will only feature in CL games or short cameos for the rest of the season. Had Bayern lost to Arsenal they probably would’ve shut him down until the Euros. Similar to what’s now happening to Enzo.
That's not what has been happening with Fernandez, though.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Ag, sorry. I understood it as him playing through pain. No, I do not watch Chelsea.
I mean, I'm not in his body (I swear) so maybe I'm wrong, but he really hasn't been playing all year like a guy struggling with pain. He's been utilized quite heavily. I don't think it's similar to the situation you're talking about with Sané.

Pintu

If can win it, I think should be around that these days (not including gates possibly), which would surely be the aim, also get the CL so don't only rely on the league. It's not too be sniffed at. Conference league, not so much...
£50 million from the Europa? Didn't know it was that much.
You probably gotta include some 20M matchday income to get to 50M….

The new format will give more money and is heavily performance based, but the EL doesn’t give you 50M yet.

”The maximum amount a club could earn in prize money, including the participation fee, has increased by €9m (40%) from €24m to €33m ”

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, I'm not in his body (I swear) so maybe I'm wrong, but he really hasn't been playing all year like a guy struggling with pain. He's been utilized quite heavily. I don't think it's similar to the situation you're talking about with Sané.
In fairness Enzo is a tough SOB - you don't have a fully blacked out arm at age 21 unless you have a high pain tolerance...

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
You probably gotta include some 20M matchday income to get to 50M….

The new format will give more money and is heavily performance based, but the EL doesn’t give you 50M yet.

”The maximum amount a club could earn in prize money, including the participation fee, has increased by €9m (40%) from €24m to €33m ”
We made €40m out of it in 2019, possibly doesn't include the English TV pot split?

Buckie

Supports
Arsenal
I misread the article and immediately assumed that Inguinal Hernia was a South American striker that Boehly had brought in on a 10 year contract.