Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As today is the day Poch officially takes over at Chelsea, might as well start a new thread.

Will he last the season?
Where will Chelsea finish in the league?

Loads of outgoings and probably loads more to come in.

It can't be worse than last season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
What does Chelsea look like if they get Caicedo and season starts tomorrow?

Kepa

Fofana Silva Badashile

James Enzo Caicedo Chillwell

Sterling Nkunku Madueke

Certainly not a bad starting eleven with Poch. If he makes then tick, that’s top 4 material.
Where does Jackson fit in?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
They've done an impressive job of getting rid of the bloat so far. And for players coming in, I like Nkunku and Caceido very much.

Is Silva staying? Looking at the squad, there's plenty talent there, but I'd be worried about the lack of leadership in there. There might be a bit of a hangover from the previous season, and I look at the players that are left and see many talented young players but not sure who the natural leaders are.

That's why I think Rice would have been a better signing than Caceido (and the main reason we focussed on him).

Poch has a tough job on his hands in terms of reality vs expectations I expect the board to put on him.

duffer

Scout
Is Silva staying? Looking at the squad, there's plenty talent there, but I'd be worried about the lack of leadership in there. There might be a bit of a hangover from the previous season, and I look at the players that are left and see many talented young players but not sure who the natural leaders are.
Silva is staying. I'd say James is next up to be captain for sure. Enzo seems "leadership" material and I'd like to see Sterling take more responsibility.

But for sure, especially with Azpi leaving we need some people to step up in terms of setting the tone.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Silva is staying. I'd say James is next up to be captain for sure. Enzo seems "leadership" material and I'd like to see Sterling take more responsibility.

But for sure, especially with Azpi leaving we need some people to step up in terms of setting the tone.
Silva staying could be helpful.

Another big problem is just who you are up against. Competition is fierce now in this league. City will be City, the hope is that they might drop back a little after losing guys like Gundogan, but that tends to be wishful thinking.

Then guys like Klopp and Arteta have been in multiple years and established style of teams and patterns of play etc and look like adding well to their teams.

Utd will be into their 2nd year under ETH and if they get guys like Onana, Mount and a striker, should allow them to evolve even more into his type of team, and Newcastle look like they are adding quality as well and will continue to evolve.

Spurs will be a bit of a wild card, and I fancy Villa to have a good season with a full pre season under Emery.

So, as much as I think Chelsea will defo get better, they don't get better in a vacuum, and are almost playing catch-up to the rest now. Should certainly be a lot more exciting to watch this season that's for sure.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Are Chelsea not looking for a keeper?

Surely they can't go into the season with Kepa as number one?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Silva staying could be helpful.

Another big problem is just who you are up against. Competition is fierce now in this league. City will be City, the hope is that they might drop back a little after losing guys like Gundogan, but that tends to be wishful thinking.

Then guys like Klopp and Arteta have been in multiple years and established style of teams and patterns of play etc and look like adding well to their teams.

Utd will be into their 2nd year under ETH and if they get guys like Onana, Mount and a striker, should allow them to evolve even more into his type of team, and Newcastle look like they are adding quality as well and will continue to evolve.

Spurs will be a bit of a wild card, and I fancy Villa to have a good season with a full pre season under Emery.

So, as much as I think Chelsea will defo get better, they don't get better in a vacuum, and are almost playing catch-up to the rest now. Should certainly be a lot more exciting to watch this season that's for sure.
We are hoping pochettino magic to get every thing right especially the physical conditioning of young players will set us the tone.

Fit squad with the ability to play strong 11 for most matches a great improvement than last season. Thats all we hoped from team.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We are hoping pochettino magic to get every thing right especially the physical conditioning of young players will set us the tone.

Fit squad with the ability to play strong 11 for most matches a great improvement than last season. Thats all we hoped from team.
Yeah, hopefully for you guys the owners show patience as long as there's signs of improvement. Can't keep chopping and changing both players and manager and expect top end of the table results.

More than anything I think you need a bit of continuity and to let things actually cook.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are Chelsea not looking for a keeper?

Surely they can't go into the season with Kepa as number one?
It’s gone weirdly quiet on that front. We were linked with Onana before United took the lead in that race. We’ve been linked with Costa and Maignan too but there’s also been some rather worrying reports that Poch is happy with Kepa as the starting goalie next season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s gone weirdly quiet on that front. We were linked with Onana before United took the lead in that race. We’ve been linked with Costa and Maignan too but there’s also been some rather worrying reports that Poch is happy with Kepa as the starting goalie next season.
I'm a bit torn on this one.

If he's "happy" because we've got bigger immediate priorities and/or we're waiting for a Maignan/Kobel to fall into our lap I would begrudgingly go with Kepa for one more season but if he sees him as a long term choice......

What's even more worrying is the prospect of Bettinelli as the back up.

Chief123

Kepa

Fofana Silva Badashile

Sterling Nkunku Madueke

Certainly not a bad starting eleven with Poch. If he makes then tick, that’s top 4 material.
That would look pretty underwhelming having spent over half a billion. Sterling and madueke as your primary wide options isn’t going to have you competing at the top. Also zero creativity from the centre of midfield.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Really?
That'd surprise me if he did, he's not a bad keeper is Kepa but certainly doesn't seem good enough for a top four team in my opinion.

You must need a keeper though even as backup? Unless Slonina will be second choice?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Top 6 is a realistic aim. We aren't better than last seasons top 4.

I see the biggest challenges settling the squad after so much change and I expect we'll go back 4 all season long. Plus scoring enough goals, Liverpool came 5th scoring double us.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Top 6 is a realistic aim. We aren't better than last seasons top 4.

I see the biggest challenges settling the squad after so much change and I expect we'll go back 4 all season long. Plus scoring enough goals, Liverpool came 5th scoring double us.
Last season's top 4 bar City and at a push Arsenal weren't better than 21/22 Chelsea.

A lot can change in a season.

bringbackbebe

The quality of the squad is fine but the mentality of players screams of the necessity to bring in that Ralf Rangnick's sports psychologist for team and individual counselling sessions. Poch will need to make them work as a group. They hit rock bottom last season, so at least Poch had a clean slate to begin with.

mu4c_20le

Last season's top 4 bar City and at a push Arsenal weren't better than 21/22 Chelsea.

A lot can change in a season.
Sure can... that team was gutted. Rudiger, Alonso, Christensen, Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Lukaku, Werner, Mount, all gone. It's like a different Chelsea now. Exciting times, but also a huge huge ask on Poch, who I dont believe had a hand in building this team.

Someone

Something
Regardless to who they sign, it's a massive job getting a group of players that haven't played much with each other to gel, it's a pretty much a new team, and it's a bit unusual at the top level. Poch should be given enough time to make this work. Even Pep and Klopp needed time.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Regardless to who they sign, it's a massive job getting a group of players that haven't played much with each other to gel, it's a pretty much a new team, and it's a bit unusual at the top level. Poch should be given enough time to make this work. Even Pep and Klopp needed time.
I dont think its any different to a new manager coming to his new team. In fact it is easier for pochettino to implement his own ideas to this newly assembled squad in my opinion.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I m happy for Pochettino, he has a squad full of young hungry players that he can implement his own philosophy into, similiar to what he had at Spurs. The squad overhaul was a blessing for pochettino, because now he doesn’t have a lot of toxic personality in the dressing room. The environment here is much better than the circus at PSG where no manager could succeed in despite him doing well over there. It is up to Bohley and their recruitment team to ensure that they get the players he wants. So far, the recruitment and selling has been intelligent and progressive, but he still need about 4 more signings.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Not having European football is huge. Its dangerous to back any team to finish top 4 before a ball is kicked, but I wouldn't say that last seasons disaster would impact their chances at all

tentan

Poor man's poster.

Kepa

Fofana Silva Badashile

Sterling Nkunku Madueke

Isn't Poch a 4-2-3-1 man?

--------------------------Kepa---------------------
James------Fofana-----Badishile----Chilwell
-----------------Caicedo-----Enzo--------------------
Madueke------Mudryk----------------Sterling
-----------------------Nkunku------------------------

kundalini

Pochettino's first season at Spurs was similar to the season before. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it takes him a season to figure out a formation to use and which expensive talents are ready for the PL. A lot of players leaving will help him avoid some of the confusion that hurt Potter. 6th or 7th.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Pochettino's first season at Spurs was similar to the season before. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it takes him a season to figure out a formation to use and which expensive talents are ready for the PL. A lot of players leaving will help him avoid some of the confusion that hurt Potter. 6th or 7th.
You cant compare his spurs initial day team players and players he is going to have at chelsea.

I can understand if he come to take over in mid season but he will have full preseason and he can mould the squad and play style to suit his best players available without compromise.

I dont buy he needs time.He is a talented coach. So dont need excuse for him i hope.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not worried about them, it still looks like a pretty weak starting 11. We will See where they are come the first game in terms of a squad, I'm sure they’ll finish higher because of lack of games they have to play but that’s it I can’t see them breaking the top 6.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Isn't Poch a 4-2-3-1 man?

James------Fofana-----Badishile----Chilwell
Madueke------Mudryk----------------Sterling
-----------------------Nkunku------------------------
Probably something like this but with Nkunku behind the striker and Mudryk/Sterling rotating LW. Whether that main striker is the new guy Nic Jackson or someone we'll sign later in the window remains to be seen. Also interesting to see if Colwill can push Badiashile for the starting position at LCB or not.

So my guess would be:

James------Fofana-----Badishile/Colwill----Chilwell
Madueke-----------Nkunku-------------Mudryk/Sterling
------------------Jackson/new CF------------------------

duffer

Scout
Probably something like this but with Nkunku behind the striker and Mudryk/Sterling rotating LW. Whether that main striker is the new guy Nic Jackson or someone we'll sign later in the window remains to be seen. Also interesting to see if Colwill can push Badiashile for the starting position at LCB or not.

So my guess would be:

There's no way Silva won't start (and probably be captain).

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Kepa

Fofana Silva Badashile

Sterling Nkunku Madueke

Will he go with 3 at the back? I think he’ll go to his favourite 4-2-3-1/4-3-3

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Will he go with 3 at the back? I think he’ll go to his favourite 4-2-3-1/4-3-3
After few weeks of training only he will decide. We have some classy midfield kids in chukwuemeka,santos and casedai. Poch will see them in training and decide one or two stay and one goes to loan.

edit:I forgot gallagher. He will give us that third midfielder cushion. His energy and hardwork wont go unnoticed by pochettino.

With these kids we can adopt to 4-3-3 without doubt. But main formation will be 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

There's no way Silva won't start (and probably be captain).
Isn't Silva 38? That will be a travesty if he is still starting for Chelsea when you have top young center backs like Colwell, fofana and Badishelle.

So my guess would be:

That is something I predicted as well as their core starting 11. It will be a mistake for Pochettino to rely on Kepa. Chelsea need either onana or Costa. Even though I heard rumors they are after EMI Martinez or that Russian goalkeeper, Pochettino needs a keeper that can break the press with his passing.

Moreover, Pochettino need a ram to back up madueke. GABRI VEIGAS is ideal for that position (or is that Angelo going to be backuo?) I think you guys can get away with Jackson as striker, but it is hard to tell without him kicking a ball yet.

Amadaeus

It'd be a travesty if he gets dropped because he is 38, despite being our best centre back.
At 38, his age will show. No matter how talented a footballer you are, when you reach a certain age, you can't play at a peak level anymore and his body will not be able to handle the intensity of modern football. With Colwell being an exceptional talent, and with Badishelle also close to that category, and with Fofana costing so much and also has lot of potential, I don't see a place in the starting 11 for silva. I may be wrong though

duffer

Scout
At 38, his age will show. No matter how talented a footballer you are, when you reach a certain age, you can't play at a peak level anymore and his body will not be able to handle the intensity of modern football. With Colwell being an exceptional talent, and with Badishelle also close to that category, and with Fofana costing so much and also has lot of potential, I don't see a place in the starting 11 for silva. I may be wrong though
People said that at 35, 36, 37 and now 38.

Of course eventually he'll be phased out of the side but if Poch comes in and ignores him because of his date of birth, he's an idiot.

There's nobody better for Colwill and the others to learn from than Silva.

Chelsea have got rid of a lot of the senior players, we need Silva more than ever as an influence.

cyberman

To be fair how do we know it hasn’t already started to show and was simply hidden in the shit show of their season last year?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
After few weeks of training only he will decide. We have some classy midfield kids in chukwuemeka,santos and casedai. Poch will see them in training and decide one or two stay and one goes to loan.

With these kids we can adopt to 4-3-3 without doubt. But main formation will be 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2.
That young lad looks good who’s playing for England u21 in euros, think he’s a forward player for yous. He’ll break into the first team this season surely?