Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Irrational.

I am convinced @Amadaeus is Glaston reincarnated. Their posting styles, ability to pluck out obscure stats to justify the indefensible and obsession with Pochettino are very similar. Maybe Glaston was a Poch fan and not a Spurs fan all along.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
@Samid, @T00lsh3d

Two games chelsea was by far the most dominant side. They are in top four for xG statistic. Pochettino chelsea has been one of the best teams in the league, but As I stated before, they need at least 2 attackers. I m logical and understand how footvall works. This Chelsea attack is still the same attack that finished 12th last season with only an untested Jackson that is starting for them in the league. Pochettino is doing miracles with what he is giving at the moment. All he needs is another striker like vlahovic (e.g a big strong no.9) and a hybrid winger/no.10 creative attacker like Cherki, felix or even kudus. Once that is done, then chelsea can be contenders for a top four place. I have been saying that since the start of the season. The injuries to nkunku and james isn't helping either, but as I said since the start, this chelsea team is still incomplete despite being one of the best performing team in the league

Just curious. What would it hypothetically take to convince you that Poch made a mistake or isn't as good as you thought?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Just curious. What would it hypothetically take to convince you that Poch made a mistake or isn't as good as you thought?
There is nothing that could happen that would result in that admission. He’s jumped two feet in to this Chelsea love in but as soon as things go sideways, (and it’s Chelsea, so we know it will eventually) I’m pretty sure the club, the owners, the players and the fans will face his wrath.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He wouldn't even admit that Poch failed at PSG, despite Poch himself stating that he had indeed failed at that job.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
When other managers does better than he did at his previous club with similiar restrictions. It wouldnt mean that Pochettino isnt good, but moreso that the newly appointed manager is on the same level as pochettino (if such achievements can be sustained).

Anyway, his first win against Luton. My god, chelsea must have the most toothless attack in the league. They have a lot of quality building up to create chances, but finishing is still a major issue that has yet to be addressed despite the millions they have spent.

kudas scored a hattrick recently, vlahovic starting seria strongly and cherki has been phenomenal in some of his attacking stats so far this season. It is crazy that none of these players are not being considered yet for pochettino team. Perhaps, i understand that chelsea rather wait for Ivan toney and put faith in Borja, but their attack needs drastic surgery.

also pochettino needs to stop using chilwell as lw. even though chelsea performance has been one of the best in the league, I have not seen anything in him in that role that makes it works.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think pochettino really utilised gusto in attacking phase. He played like his handbrakes on. Apart from last few minutes he totally shut his attacking instincts in this game despite had multiple openings to make runs. May be was bit nervous.

Jackson got a knock initially in this match. May be so why struggled a bit. Some times his touch failed him but overall a refreshing performance from him in all 3 matches.

Players try to find him whenever got the opening. That's really refreshing.

Sterling look like on the verge of hitting top form. If you want to play chilwell that high up the pitch I think maatsen better choice in my opinion. Caicedo initially some nervy moments but grew into the game. Ugochukwu look like a real deal. Looks fit and has very good touch and physique. Will be a tough competition for midfield slot. Caicedo,Gallagher,lavia,ugochukwu and Enzo.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Chelsea spends all that money to have Diego Moreira on the bench. You can't make this up!

Chief123

He’ll be sacked before the end of season based on absolutely nothing but hope.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Chelsea spends all that money to have Diego Moreira on the bench. You can't make this up!
I believe injuries is one of the reasons. Chelsea has the second highest injuries so far this season. So it is outstanding they are able to still perform the way they are. Doubt many teams would cope with 9 players injured in their squad.

Chief123

I believe injuries is one of the reasons. Chelsea has the second highest injuries so far this season. So it is outstanding they are able to still perform the way they are playing. Doubt many teams would cope with 9 players injured in their squad.
To be fair, Chelsea’s season was over as soon as Mbappe got injured.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I believe injuries is one of the reasons. Chelsea has the second highest injuries so far this season. So it is outstanding they are able to still perform the way they are. Doubt many teams would cope with 9 players injured in their squad.
Are those all genuine first team players? James, Nkunku, Badashile....that's about it isn't it?

We've currently got four crucial players out.....Mings, Buendia, Moreno and Ramsey and of course the first two are season ending injuries. With what Man. United are currently picking up they've probably got more than Chelsea aswell.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Are those all genuine first team players? James, Nkunku, Badashile....that's about it isn't it?

We've currently got four crucial players out.....Mings, Buendia, Moreno and Ramsey and of course the first two are season ending injuries. With what Man. United are currently picking up they've probably got more than Chelsea aswell.
James, Nkunku, Badiashile, Fofana, are all in our first XI pretty indisputably. Chukwuemeka, Mudryk, Chalobah, and Broja are all bench options likely to get regular minutes when fit.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Well Carney is Nkunku’s direct replacement, so he’d have to be considered first team surely.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tonight was a worse performance than the first two games. I feel like if we don’t have either Nkunku or Chukwuemeka in the team the build up stagnates too quickly. Gallagher is good at a lot of things, and all things considered he’s been decent in all 3 games so far, but he can’t contribute to the build up in the same way the other two can.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Well Carney is Nkunku’s direct replacement, so he’d have to be considered first team surely.
You've been in for Olise and links to Cherki so think you'll sign a number 10/AM before window closes.

Tyrion

You've been in for Olise and links to Cherki so think you'll sign a number 10/AM before window closes.
I don't know who any of these people are. I have barely bothered to fit Chelsea players into my fantasy team because I can only make out about 4 of them.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve just realised Enzo has finished the last two games with the captains armband. Silva appears to be the de facto 3rd captain and Chilwell keeps giving it to him when he gets subbed off the last two games, but Silva has handed the armband to Enzo both times.

LM7

Supports
chelsea
I’ve just realised Enzo has finished the last two games with the captains armband. Silva appears to be the de facto 3rd captain and Chilwell keeps giving it to him when he gets subbed off the last two games, but Silva has handed the armband to Enzo both times.
Silva knows that this is his last dance with the club. He will probably go back to Brazilor retire after this season. So, he is trying to make the young one's into leaders that can take the club forward when he has left. It's a beautiful act...like a father preparing his son for the difficult realities of the world.

philippexyz

I think Chelsea is buying Evan Ferguson from Brighton for a British record transfer fee next summer. Around £120m minimum. Maybe £150m even.
They already have an established "working" relationship with Brighton(feeder club). They're poaching them left and right, doesn't matter the price, player...

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think Chelsea is buying Evan Ferguson from Brighton for a British record transfer fee next summer. Around £120m minimum. Maybe £150m even.
They already have an established "working" relationship with Brighton(feeder club). They're poaching them left and right, doesn't matter the price, player...
Tough to call them a feeder club if they keep finishing ahead of us …

philippexyz

Tough to call them a feeder club if they keep finishing ahead of us …
Don't worry my blue(rival) friend. I'm actually a believer in the Boehly(Clearlake) project. I made a long post about it in the "Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea" thread. You can read it if you want to hear some optimism from the rival/neutral(United) fan perspective. Someone called me a secret Chelsea fan because of that, which is laughable, of course.

Brighton is probably not going to finish ahead of Chelsea this season, and never ever again. I like Boehly's ambition(he's definitely proven it) and Chelsea, with City and Newcastle is going to be the most successful, dominant force in the league(and the world, probably) soon. Not going to explain deeply, you can find my recent post on thread mentioned above about Boehly "ruining" Chelsea..

Last edited:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Don't worry my blue(rival) friend. I'm actually a believer in the Boehly(Clearlake) project. I made a long post about it in the "Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea" thread. You can read it if you want to hear some optimism from the rival/neutral(United) fan perspective. Someone called me a secret Chelsea fan because of that, which is laughable, of course.

Brighton is probably not going to finish ahead of Chelsea this season, and never ever again. I like Boehly's ambition(he's definitely proven it) and Chelsea, with City and Newcastle is going to be the most successful, dominant force in the league(and the world, probably) soon. Not going to explain deeply, you can find my recent post on thread mentioned above about Boehly "ruining" Chelsea..
Ahhh one can dream. I DO believe in their ambition and project. I’m just waiting for them to find their feet and a balance. Been better this Summer, but the Lukaku situation, the way Caicedo played out and the months of integration wasted, and Nkunku and Carney going down, NEEDING a creative link up, and prioritizing 19 yr old wonder kids all show a little naivety and room for growth still .

TsuWave

Whoever’s responsible to the thread title got bars. I have a couple drill beats for you to jump on

philippexyz

Ahhh one can dream. I DO believe in their ambition and project. I’m just waiting for them to find their feet and a balance. Been better this Summer, but the Lukaku situation, the way Caicedo played out and the months of integration wasted, and Nkunku and Carney going down, NEEDING a creative link up, and prioritizing 19 yr old wonder kids all show a little naivety and room for growth still .
Project is a long term one, obviously. There must be some patience. Ambition has definitely been displayed and it will pay off sooner or later. If you read my post in the other thread what i basically wanted to say is:

Boehly is buying very talented young players on pretty long(baseball) contracts and giving them mostly(surprisingly for me) relatively low wages. That means, if they turn out mediocre/crap(like potentially Mudryk, for example), he can likely shift them to midtable/relegation fodder PL teams or some established, traditional European, continental clubs. If they turn out great, they will ask for a wage increase and he can simply give it to them, because they would've deserved it, obviously(that will probably happen with Caicedo, for example, who i rate pretty highly).

Clearlake wants to build a multi-club ownership model(similar to City Football Group), which will obviously help in developing all these young talents they're accumulating. I also believe they will use the known Saudi connections to offload some potential complicated problems/contract situations - i believe there is at least some truth to that(connection between PIF and Clearlake).

Because Roman invested his billions in the club for years, he has built probably the best(most productive) academy in the world - that is his main legacy at the club, along with establishing Chelsea as an elite English/European football club. By selling all these academy products they're constantly producing, Chelsea will never be in FFP trouble. Selling academy products is a pure profit on FFP books, as we all know it here on this forum. That basically means that Chelsea's spending potential is virtually(de facto) limitless. FFP is never going to be an issue for Chelsea because of the main legacy, foundation that Roman left - academy.

Also, i don't see any limitations in who Chelsea are targeting in the transfer market. Paying any price doesn't seem to be a problem. Any player in the world is a possible Chelsea player. Then there is the London glamour factor - advantage Chelsea has over United, City, Liverpool, Newcastle...It's a big deal for more spoiled, vane, Instagram/TikTok younger generation to live in fancy London compared to other "poor, provincial" English cities.

So, just patience and Chelsea is going to be a force to be reckoned with, i have almost no doubts about that. Unfortunately for us, United fans :)