Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman

If that doesn't scream give your manager a proper striker, I don't know what else to say. Pochettino is being limited because of the quality of attacking talent. I like Jackson, but he should be an option, not their main striker. Sterling should be in Saudi league.

1st team:

4-2-3-1
Palmer/kubo - nkunku - mudryk
--------------- Oshimen/sesko

4-3-3
Mudryk/Palmer/kubo - oshimen - nkunku

Second team:

Kubo/Maduke - carni - madueke/jackson
------------- Jackson/borja

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
How did Palmer look today in his first league start for the club? He’s looked good in his few sub appearances so far

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Just to clarify. You’re struggling to work out why a club owned by a not very likeable yank businessman that just spunked over a billion quid on new players in two seasons - during a global economic downturn - isn’t more popular?
Well, even the if I conceded that Borglum is unlikeable aside from his American-ness, and that he owns Chelsea (which I’m not, he’s regarded pretty favorably all over the world) …

He is not the owner. He is ONE of the representatives of the ownership group. A diverse group from several different countries, including a poor refugee whose family escaped Iran and worked his way up to where he is in Eghbali.

People cheer Arsenal and they are owned by the wal mart vulture… a truly despicable person.

People are hyped about Newcastle even …. And … c’mon.

When it was announced Barcelona had been bribing refs people talked about the only good thing being it kept Chelsea from winning another CL.

The people in Britain who are opposed to Chelsea openly cheered the fact the people that worked in their cafeterias weren’t even allowed to receive their paychecks during the still unexplainable complete government freeze (lawsuit still pending)

At a certain point you have to ask: are Chelsea the bad ones here?

What people don’t like is that the club survived and continued. The refs even volunteered to step up and openly as
It to fixing at least one match for sure after the takeover…. And we’re still here.

There are a few teams I don’t like. I don’t like Arsenal, but I want to do better than them fairly. I wouldn’t want to find out there had been an organized effort to limit them held at higher levels, or an agreement to largely look the other way that led to players getting hurt. Maybe that makes me weird.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
How did Palmer look today in his first league start for the club? He’s looked good in his few sub appearances so far
He looked good. Really nice control, was everywhere all game. I would say very good or great, if his finishing was better, but he is young. Very promising looking kid.

Real Name

If that doesn't scream give your manager a proper striker, I don't know what else to say. Pochettino is being limited because of the quality of attacking talent. I like Jackson, but he should be an option, not their main striker. Sterling should be in Saudi league.

1st team:

4-2-3-1

4-3-3

Second team:

Torough analysis of Chelsea team by an United fan.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Chelsea have not "won every game on xG" in any meaningful sense.

Their xG is usually not much higher than their rivals. In a few cases it's around 0.10 xG or less.

That's just a draw.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

1st team:

4-2-3-1

4-3-3

Second team:

Jackson, the most potent striker in La Liga according to you, shouldn't be leading the line.

You must have sore arms, the amount of straw you clutch.

MegadrivePerson

If that doesn't scream give your manager a proper striker, I don't know what else to say.
Chelsea have spent over a billion pounds in 12 months!

The fact that they don't have a proper striker is entirely on them!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Well, even the if I conceded that Borglum is unlikeable aside from his American-ness, and that he owns Chelsea (which I’m not, he’s regarded pretty favorably all over the world) …

He is not the owner. He is ONE of the representatives of the ownership group. A diverse group from several different countries, including a poor refugee whose family escaped Iran and worked his way up to where he is in Eghbali.

People cheer Arsenal and they are owned by the wal mart vulture… a truly despicable person.

When it was announced Barcelona had been bribing refs people talked about the only good thing being it kept Chelsea from winning another CL.

The people in Britain who are opposed to Chelsea openly cheered the fact the people that worked in their cafeterias weren’t even allowed to receive their paychecks during the still unexplainable complete government freeze (lawsuit still pending)

What people don’t like is that the club survived and continued. The refs even volunteered to step up and openly as
It to fixing at least one match for sure after the takeover…. And we’re still here.

There are a few teams I don’t like. I don’t like Arsenal, but I want to do better than them fairly. I wouldn’t want to find out there had been an organized effort to limit them held at higher levels, or an agreement to largely look the other way that led to players getting hurt. Maybe that makes me weird.
I’m not sure where you are based, but as far as I’m concerned , Chelsea have had a relatively easy ride in the UK as far as i can see on the media considering their form / results in comparison to their spend. I can see Utd getting much more stick just now.

Is that because Utd are a bigger club that generate more interest, that Chelsea’s form has been poor for that long it’s no longer as newsworthy, I’ll let others decide.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I’m not sure where you are based, but as far as I’m concerned , Chelsea have had a relatively easy ride in the UK as far as i can see on the media considering their form / results in comparison to their spend. I can see Utd getting much more stick just now.

Is that because Utd are a bigger club that generate more interest, that Chelsea’s form has been poor for that long it’s no longer as newsworthy, I’ll let others decide.
We've been so shit for so long that nobody really cares. It's certainly not news.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian

You were previously bankrolled by a Russian kleptocrat and have just spent over a billion in the past two transfer windows.

I’m not sure Chelsea have the sort of story that’s going to inspire a great deal of sympathy.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
This has to be some elaborate wind up now.

Broja, Caideco and Mudryk all went off injured on Monday too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This has to be some elaborate wind up now.

Broja, Caideco and Mudryk all went off injured on Monday too.
Broja wasn't injured thabkfully, he said this after the game: "No injury, just a precaution. I’ve been out for a while so it was always hard for me to come back and play the full 90 minutes. I did get a bit leggy just before I came off, so it was just a precaution."

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Broja wasn't injured thabkfully, he said this after the game: "No injury, just a precaution. I’ve been out for a while so it was always hard for me to come back and play the full 90 minutes. I did get a bit leggy just before I came off, so it was just a precaution."
Brilliant. It would have been devastating for the big guy.

Amadaeus

Hmm I might be wrong about sterling. Looked class today. But he looked class against Luton as well. He needs to show that consistently and against stronger opposition.

Their team look more confident. It is crazy what a win can do to team spirit. Now these tough fixtures are next. Let see if chelsea continue to dominate all stats. Even though they played Liverpool and west ham and were the better team, these runs will be a true test for Pochettino.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Well… there are some things we will need to realize before better teams are played. Two in particular for me:

1. Cucurella was not the primary at fault for the first Burnley goal. Desasi struggled, but then he had Silva there to help and close down the attacker … and he was a complete non factor. It was like he misjudged the pace and both players just drifted right past him, leaving Cucurella alone 5 feet from goal 1 v 1. But then Silva was grabbing people all game, and he was lucky not to get carded completely off. He also seemed like the main force behind our obsession with passing in our own half. He looked almost offended when the ball went somewhere other than sideways or back to him. I watched closely and you could see players specifically looking to Thiago for almost … “permission”? To go forward.

Which leads to:

2. We will get caught out if Colwill tries to play LB the way he has against teams like Liverpool, City… Newcastle. He will not be able to recover the way he would against a Burnley… and it will be a waste.

Desasi is playing really well. Colwill needs to be at CB, and we do NOT need to be at 3 at the back … with the possible exception to f playing Maatsen at LWB … which would be a genuine attacking option.

But it would mean throwing out the Gallagher, Enzo, Caicedo midfield which is really starting to mesh, or take away from link up support.

Poch needs to make a decision.

Amadaeus

Well… there are some things we will need to realize before better teams are played. Two in particular for me:

1. Cucurella was not the primary at fault for the first Burnley goal. Desasi struggled, but then he had Silva there to help and close down the attacker … and he was a complete non factor. It was like he misjudged the pace and both players just drifted right past him, leaving Cucurella alone 5 feet from goal 1 v 1. But then Silva was grabbing people all game, and he was lucky not to get carded completely off. He also seemed like the main force behind our obsession with passing in our own half. He looked almost offended when the ball went somewhere other than sideways or back to him. I watched closely and you could see players specifically looking to Thiago for almost … “permission”? To go forward.

Which leads to:

2. We will get caught out if Colwill tries to play LB the way he has against teams like Liverpool, City… Newcastle. He will not be able to recover the way he would against a Burnley… and it will be a waste.

Desasi is playing really well. Colwill needs to be at CB, and we do NOT need to be at 3 at the back … with the possible exception to f playing Maatsen at LWB … which would be a genuine attacking option.

But it would mean throwing out the Gallagher, Enzo, Caicedo midfield which is really starting to mesh, or take away from link up support.

Poch needs to make a decision.
I believe when Badishelle comes back, pochettino needs to drop Silva and move colwill to cb and Badishelle to lcb/lb. I know chelsea fans don't want Silva dropped, but I have been saying before this an aging Silva that is slowing down their attack and also will have to have the squad accomodate for his declining attributes. Not saying that Silva has been bad, but he hasn't been a standout performer in that defense that would make him undroppable. I believe diasai and colwill have been better.

Gallagher, I believe he is becoming undroppable. His work ethic and aggression compliment Enzo and Caceido really well. Before, I would say Gallagher should be dropped, but after the last few performances, he has really changed my mind. I believe his midfield defensive stats is the best compared to his counterpart and even the top among players in the league. It would be unjust to drop him.

Having a midfield 3 of Gallagher, enzo and Caceido should allow Pochettino to play with marauding fullbacks. The likes of James and chilwell should benefit the most from that midfield 3. Unfortunately for poch, they are both injured

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Performance wise not much better than say against villa before red card or west ham. But we are finished the chances and lucky to get OG. But after long time we won two games in consecutive league games. Palmer looked good his third assist from open play for us.

Once nkunku back fit who he will replace in main 11. Palmer,sterling,Enzo,caicedo and Gallagher all most likely will start so striker position may be.

Last edited:

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Is this in the right thread?
A few years back a BT Sport presenter introduced him as a "Chelsea legend". His only goal for Chelsea came in our 5-0 battering of United in 99.

Amadaeus

Same story. Pochettino is doing amazing work tactically, but is let down by the quality of his players. Chelsea had two chances to end the game when jackson was put in and palmer stole the ball from Raya and to no surprise, they missed those chance. Then typically brain fart from another player their goalkeeper and all the good work is negated.

It is good things that Pochettino is being more involved in their transfer business. He will know that they need a quality goalkeeper and a striker.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This game is basically an apt summation of Chelsea’s season so far. Play well, waste chances, fail to win game.

Not an incredible performance from us but felt we were the better for most of the game and should really have been 3 or 4-0 up before we gifted them a goal.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This game is basically an apt summation of Chelsea’s season so far. Play well, waste chances, fail to win game.

Not an incredible performance from us but felt we were the better for most of the game and should really have been 3 or 4-0 up before we gifted them a goal.

True, but we are at that point while still missing, by a wide margin, the most players due to injury of any team in the league.

We are starting to play really well, and there are very good players to be added back to the mix.

Arsenal was fielding close to their best lineup?

“Arsenal played their worst game of the season” …. I see that a lot, without any thought given, whatsoever, to the fact that could have had something to do with Chelsea.

Supports
Chelsea

Also a summation of our recent matches against Arsenal at SB. I can't remember the last time a normal match was played between the two without comical goals flying in. Usually Arsenal the beneficiary, with someone slipping on the half way line, dodgy backpasses leading to goals etc. The luck these lot have had here for about 5/6 years now is mental.

Don't even think we played well either. The press was good and were clearly trying to wait for moments to catch Arsenal on counters but any sort of prolonged build up was pretty painful to watch, usually resulting in us just hoofing the ball back to them after few passes from the back.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

What on earth.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
“Arsenal played their worst game of the season” …. I see that a lot, without any thought given, whatsoever, to the fact that could have had something to do with Chelsea.
This is true. It’s pretty much all I’ve seen Arsenal fans say since last night.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Don't even think we played well either. The press was good and were clearly trying to wait for moments to catch Arsenal on counters but any sort of prolonged build up was pretty painful to watch, usually resulting in us just hoofing the ball back to them after few passes from the back.
We had a good game plan and it worked wonders for the majority of the game. We were comfortably the better team. A crazy mistake let them back into the game and at that point I knew we wouldn’t hold on. Momentum is a funny thing in sports and they had the wind in their sails for the next 10 mins or so. We should have honestly have been 4-0 up by the time Arsenal made it 2-1. Incredibly frustrating results.

Robertd0803

Ill admit to losing track of the 40 odd players Chelsea signed in the summer but I legit had no idea who Cole Palmer was yesterday watching the match.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We're improving but won't be top 4 material until we get Nkunku and others back. With our poor start top 6 will be a struggle.

Still at least the ball is going in the net last 3 games and we're now picking points up.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We had a good game plan and it worked wonders for the majority of the game. We were comfortably the better team. A crazy mistake let them back into the game and at that point I knew we wouldn’t hold on. Momentum is a funny thing in sports and they had the wind in their sails for the next 10 mins or so. We should have honestly have been 4-0 up by the time Arsenal made it 2-1. Incredibly frustrating results.
Agree with this and before the goal you guys actually started to play with some swagger. Was impressed with how you handled one of the best teams in the league.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Chelsea just seem mentally weak to me. Their game management isn't good either. Normally they come with time but in my opinion that originates from the coach snd i dont know if Poch can instill that?