Chelsea face new questions over how Roman Abramovich funded success

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Cynic is me says this is basically a message to other clubs to not mention a certain club's 115 charges, which have conveniently been swept under the carpet it seems after no news for a while. Else, face articles like these where their own club is brought into question.

Conspiracy maybe, I donno. Gut feeling says it just seems off.

stevoc

Mm, I feel like these are the type of questions surrounding the origin of the funds used to make Chelsea what they are today maybe should have been asked while Abramovich was still owner, when Chelsea were in the process of winning league titles and European cups. Or maybe even you know before a Russian gangster was even allowed to buy a Premier League club.

Wing Attack Plan R

I’m shocked. And stunned.

I mean, the interest-free $2B loan didn’t cause me to bat an eye. Especially since he walked away and the club never had to pay that money back.

It’s not like Abramovitch illegally funneled billions into the club and bought their success. Remember when Wise lifted the Cup? Glory days, baby! See, they had a tradition of winning before the Abramovitch era.

/I

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

Corruption in football, I am shocked. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if there are no real harsh punishments, then what is the point of being so invested in a corrupt sport.

Lightbringer

So it was not just dirty oil money, it was cheating on top of that. The club Chelsea including the womens team is a fraud and disgrace.

Pronewbie

Peep

I mean, the interest-free $2B loan didn’t cause me to bat an eye. Especially since he walked away and the club never had to pay that money back.

It’s not like Abramovitch illegally funneled billions into the club and bought their success. Remember when Wise lifted the Cup? Glory days, baby! See, they had a tradition of winning before the Abramovitch era.

/I
Yup. Reckon he'd have received plenty of honours if he were British. Just part of the current programming unfortunately.

I know I'd rather have him than the Glazers.

Von Mistelroum

This is what will happen with City. In years to come there will be a vague article about "oh gosh they might have done some stuff off the books back in the day" - after the current charges have been thrown out for lack of evidence or bribes too tempting or something.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

/I
:lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Never expected this, really surprising.

led_scholes

Eager too see PL taking action for Huddersfield's funding in the 20s. There was something fishy with the 3 league titles in the row.

Pes6Monster

If guilty, all titles won under him need to be removed.

Not arsed if they're given to anyone, but all titles must be removed from CFC.

Oranges038

We all know they won't do anything.

The defence will be that the evidence was acquired illegally and cannot be used.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

/I
Interest free just means they didn't pay interest on the 2bn not that they didn't have to pay it back

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Such a piss-take. I expected something juicy with the payments to companies linked to other club owners. Instead we get the CSKA story. Every man and his dog knew CSKA would roll over if they faced each other and it wasn't even necessary.

Bribing other club owners though... But then, we knew they bribed our CEO, didn't we?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
no, not abramovich!? he was one of the good guys.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I've no idea tbh. I imagine they did, 2bn is a lot even for Abramovich to just hand away to a club he no longer owns.
The loan was forgiven. So no, we didn’t. And the money from the sale of the club was gifted to Ukraine directly, so he handed over a lot more than 2bn.

But who would we have payed back? It’s illegal to give Roman money from the club….

I expect a ton more of these stories. The forensic accounting of the new owners is frankly much higher quality than the regulatory account in by watching them for years. My guess is these stories are being “scooped” from self reporting..

Then there’s also the Evraz related court cases making their way toward Britain. They started their filings in Australia, but most expect them to make their way all over. So you get stuff like that Cyprus story… which was not new news, that will start floating around the British papers.

I think the FA would be more worried about how good the forensic accounting is … and if they can find anything strange related to Chelsea’s sale back in 2003

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Don’t see how anyone could have enjoyed that anyway. All the success they had, which was a lot but they were never the dominant force like us, was hollow and plastic as feck. No different to City.

Honestly with the death of Sir Bobby recently it’s again brought up the incredible success story of United, in addition to the constant media frenzy around the class of 92 and Sir Alex Ferguson. If you’re a Chelsea fan your success is solely down to a crooked Russian Oligarch. State of that.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

A new owner should be smart enough to have certain clauses in case something like this comes up. If not, it’s their own fault - due diligence and all that.

But the case will probably just be dated in the court or something similar, if it’s anything like City.

Dr. StrangeHate

Don’t see how anyone could have enjoyed that anyway. All the success they had, which was a lot but they were never the dominant force like us, was hollow and plastic as feck. No different to City.

Honestly with the death of Sir Bobby recently it’s again brought up the incredible success story of United, in addition to the constant media frenzy around the class of 92 and Sir Alex Ferguson. If you’re a Chelsea fan your success is solely down to a crooked Russian Oligarch. State of that.
For their fans it won't be hollow as they didn't have the same success before Roman.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
League title count look like if both Chelsea and City had there's rescinded?

The utter shite United have had to put up with! We are the most hard done by from all this cheating:

Arsenal: 3
Manchester United: 5
Liverpool: 4
Tottenham Hotspur: 1

2004–05 Chelsea[f] (2) Arsenal (8) Manchester United (6) Portugal José Mourinho
2005–06 Chelsea (3) Manchester United (13) Liverpool (6) Portugal José Mourinho
2006–07 Manchester United (16) Chelsea (2) Liverpool (7) Scotland Alex Ferguson
2007–08 Manchester United[e] (17) Chelsea (3) Arsenal (6) Scotland Alex Ferguson
2008–09 Manchester United[f][k] (18) Liverpool (12) Chelsea (5) Scotland Alex Ferguson
2009–10 Chelsea (4) Manchester United (14) Arsenal (7) Italy Carlo Ancelotti
2010–11 Manchester United (19) Chelsea (4) Manchester City (4) Scotland Alex Ferguson
2011–12 Manchester City (3) Manchester United (15) Arsenal (8) Italy Roberto Mancini
2012–13 Manchester United (20) Manchester City (4) Chelsea (6) Scotland Alex Ferguson
2013–14 Manchester City[f] (4) Liverpool (13) Chelsea (7) Chile Manuel Pellegrini
2014–15 Chelsea[f] (5) Manchester City (5) Arsenal (9) Portugal José Mourinho
2015–16 Leicester City (1) Arsenal (9) Tottenham Hotspur (9) Italy Claudio Ranieri
2016–17 Chelsea (6) Tottenham Hotspur (5) Manchester City (5) Italy Antonio Conte
2017–18 Manchester City[f] (5) Manchester United (16) Tottenham Hotspur (10) Spain Pep Guardiola
2018–19 Manchester City[l] (6) Liverpool (14) Chelsea (8) Spain Pep Guardiola
2019–20 Liverpool (19) Manchester City (6) Manchester United (7) Germany Jürgen Klopp
2020–21 Manchester City[f] (7) Manchester United (17) Liverpool (8) Spain Pep Guardiola
2021–22 Manchester City (8) Liverpool (15) Chelsea (9) Spain Pep Guardiola
2022–23 Manchester City[m] (9) Arsenal (10) Manchester United (8)

Taribo's Gap

The loan was forgiven. So no, we didn’t. And the money from the sale of the club was gifted to Ukraine directly, so he handed over a lot more than 2bn.

But who would we have payed back? It’s illegal to give Roman money from the club….

I expect a ton more of these stories. The forensic accounting of the new owners is frankly much higher quality than the regulatory account in by watching them for years. My guess is these stories are being “scooped” from self reporting..

Then there’s also the Evraz related court cases making their way toward Britain. They started their filings in Australia, but most expect them to make their way all over. So you get stuff like that Cyprus story… which was not new news, that will start floating around the British papers.

I think the FA would be more worried about how good the forensic accounting is … and if they can find anything strange related to Chelsea’s sale back in 2003
Unless something changed very recently, that money is still sitting in a bank account in the UK. There are conflicting reports about the source of the delay, with UK government sources suggesting that Roman wanted to give some of the money to causes other than Ukraine as the reason.

You seem to have a habit for coming out with dubious claims when it comes to topics like these.