Chelsea to Appeal Courtois Red Card

montpelier

They're having a pop at the referee I think. A way to bring some pressure to bear. Unhappy with his overall performance weren't they?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
My opinion that Gomis was going away from goal, Cahill would certainly have been back on the line so I wouldn't bee too surprised if it was overturned.
Gomis was going away from goal, but he wasn't heading towards the corner flag or something. He beat Courtois and would've had a chance at an empty goal, or at the very most a backtracking Cahill might've been an obstacle.

Clear goalscoring opportunity either way.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
They don't have a leg to stand on. We had the same incident up in Scotland last week with Celtic's Craig Gordon bringing down some Ross County journeyman. At least your referees have the balls to send players off from the top clubs.

redtilded121

For the appeal to be successful i thought that you have to prove the ref made a howler.

pacifictheme

They will argue the ball had gone away from goal and there was a covering defender. To be honest, given the replays I'm 50/50 it was a red, but that shouldn't be enough to overturn the ref's decision.
This tbh. I was surprised it was a red. Cahill was definitely covering.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Here are some replays. link link

I don't blame Chelsea for trying their luck regardless if Courtois got a red for a challenge itself or goalscoring opportunity.

I'd be pissed if United player got a red for a challenge like that. Non malicious, non studs, and not that hard.

Impulse

Their next game is City isn't it? Probably only appealing so he can play in that. Daft system.

louvega

It was a red card. Last man, clear goal opportunity, had already been beaten, Courtois was not trying to get the ball with the foul.

Impulse

The appeal will be heard/dismissed/upheld before the game, so, no advantage whatsoever with challenging.
Oh right they've changed it then. I remember when teams used to challenge a clear as day red knowing the appeal wouldn't be heard until after a tough game and they'd take the extra game ban anyway. That's a step forward but doing away with the extra game is the opposite, it's basically a free shot and teams(it always seems to be Chelsea) will constantly be making frivolous appeals if there is no recourse for doing so.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
That's the trouble, football authorities keep on coming up with half decent ideas (10yd advance of free kick if the wall doesn't retreat, extra match ban for comedy appeals, FFP) then bins them for no decent reason.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
What's the issue with appeals anyway? If the FA tell Chelsea to do one (which they will), where's the problem?
There needs to be some sort of penalty or detrimental effect for obviously pointless appeals in my opinion, otherwise why would any club ever NOT appeal a decision?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
There needs to be some sort of penalty or detrimental effect for obviously pointless appeals in my opinion, otherwise why would any club ever NOT appeal a decision?
Because it would be a waste of time? It's Chelsea time to waste though. The FA will spend about 5 minutes writing the email reply saying "not a chance Jose".

thejtrain

Doesn't even matter. Last man or not it was a knee high challenge.

It's not even remotely arguable.
Hmm, it was not a malicious tackle, a bit reckless maybe, but not malicious nor was it forceful. Besides the red was for preventing a clear goal-scoring opportunity, not for the nature of the foul. The "clear" part is a bit debatable tbh, but I'd argue it to be one.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Because it would be a waste of time? It's Chelsea time to waste though. The FA will spend about 5 minutes writing the email reply saying "not a chance Jose".
That isn't really a reason for me. I think you have to have a genuine deterrent to stop everyone from just appealing every decision they can, because why not?

Keepers get away with punching people in the face (when getting nowhere near the ball) all the time. They're incredibly protected.
I agree with this though, keepers practically get away with murder sometimes.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
That's the trouble, football authorities keep on coming up with half decent ideas (10yd advance of free kick if the wall doesn't retreat, extra match ban for comedy appeals, FFP) then bins them for no decent reason.
And where's the bloody six second rule?! Bloody Mignolet held the ball for 15 bloody seconds yesterday.

Weird thing is that's still in the rules, yet, referees simply refuse to acknowledge it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
That isn't really a reason for me. I think you have to have a genuine deterrent to stop everyone from just appealing every decision they can, because why not?
You don't get clubs appealing everything though, despite there being no deterrent. They know the appeal will fail so generally don't bother.

Punishing teams for questioning decisions is a slippery slope to do down. For sure don't allow managers and players to slag the refs off but an official appeal? I don't see the harm.

eggwithsideburns

I would be surprised if this gets overturned, seems a waste of time but I guess its worth a try.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Wouldn't be a red in my perfect football world. The penalty is punishment enough and the actual challenge was tame. Then you look at the fact that the ball was going away from goal and there was a defender literally right beside Gomis who is incredibly shit and probably wouldn't have scored anyway.

Given that Gomis would still have had to take the ball under control again and navigate a way past the defender I don't think you can describe Courtois as having denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. People are quick to give the striker the benefit of the doubt and assume that simply knocking it past the keeper is proof enough he'd have done his job and scored yet no equivalent consideration is given to the defender (Cahill in this instance) and his ability to either completely disarm the chance or at least make it hard enough of a chance that it can't possibly be considered a "clear" denial of a goalscoring chance.

I cannot stand Chelsea so I don't care really care too much. I'd just change the rules so that you only get sent off when you deliberately deny a goalscoring chance like intentionally rugby tackling someone to stop them scoring. Being a split second late in a tame challenge I'd just give the penalty and get on with it.

edit: I doubt they care if it gets extended. Worth taking the chance to get Courtois back for Man City away. If it means he misses WBA away too then fine, they can cope against Rickie Lambert with Begovic.

Danillaco

Well, my bet is that are going to get the card overturned, and Evra will get a three game ban.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Ridiculous - you can argue that it shouldn't have been a red, you can also argue that it should have been a red. But it wasn't a mistake by the referee to show him the red - and that should be the end of it.
^ This. This. Fecking this.

There simply isn't enough doubt to overturn the decision.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You're making a mockery of the system, wasting the money and time of the FA on these cases and in other cases bans have been extended for doing so yet it never happens to Chelsea so why shouldn't people feel aggrieved?
Making a mockery of the FA? Now I really have heard everything. :lol:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
One of Mourinho's biggest hands in the title race is to bully/cheat the refs. I'm fairly sure he knows this red will stand.. It's just posturing so he can play the victim to give him a better footing for next time.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
He's talking utter shite when he says Gomis would have simply "rolled the ball into an empty net". He didn't even have the ball under control at this point, it was heading away from goal and there was a defender right beside him.
Bullshit, he was in full control of the ball. I can't believe anyone would argue this was not a clear goal scoring opportunity. The fact that Courtois' challenge was knee high doesn't even have anything to do with it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
One of Mourinho's biggest hands in the title race is to bully/cheat the refs. I'm fairly sure he knows this red will stand.. It's just posturing so he can play the victim to give him a better footing for next time.
Exactly this. If you appeal 6 times they might have pity for you once in a while. Small time club and manager playing these games already after the first game of the season.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly this. If you appeal 6 times they might have pity for you once in a while. Small time club and manager playing these games already after the first game of the season.
He was calling for more protection for Hazard in July, mate. The guy is a serial cheat.. Chelsea imploded under a referee who didn't fall for all of their dives on Saturday. Shame it won't last.