Chess discussions

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What I mean is that from what I remember Nepo blundered a game away against Carlsen and then also blundered horribly in the following games, whereas here he had a terrible blunder against Ding last game, but now he's following it up with an impressive performance, where he just completely outplayed Ding, without much thinking.
Nepo's prep worked, it's not that Ding is bothered by the pace it's that Nepo who is the genuine #2 in the world, prepped well with white and won. Also Carlsen is a special case, every super GM has admitted that there is a psychological hurdle to pass against him because you can't make even minor inaccuracies against him, you also have to be very careful about every move and their direct or indirect consequences when it comes to endgames. That doesn't apply to Ding, Ding is a more normal Super GM, he is roughly equal to Nepo, Caruana, Wesley So or Nakamura, you can play a game that isn't perfect against them and still get a draw or a win.

Abraxas

Ding looks super sloppy in this match. His prep has been pretty poor at this level, all things considered. It's a World Championship match and he looks out of book very easily which is kind of surprising to me.

I also thought Rapport was kind of strange as a second. Completely polar opposite players. Surely at some point it would be more logical to have a player who has more similar tastes, so when the suggestions are made it is more natural, both for the player and the second.

JPRouve

Scout
It's a fairly even match. I don''t really see what makes Ding look less prepared especially when both players gained advantages with white. The one thing that people need to keep in mind is that neither is playing for draws, so they both avoid lines with theoretical draws which are the majority of main line plays and what we are used to see in big tournaments.

Abraxas

It's a fairly even match. I don''t really see what makes Ding look less prepared especially when both players gained advantages with white. The one thing that people need to keep in mind is that neither is playing for draws, so they both avoid lines with theoretical draws which are the majority of main line plays and what we are used to see in big tournaments.
Game 2 gave away that his prep is shoddy for this level of match. Plays h3 to opt against the Catalan, worse within 14 moves, probably lost within 20. That's pretty poor for a line he has come up with which his opponent couldn't possibly have expected. That would rarely happen to the best prepared players in a line they go for.

I think he needs to be more prepared than Nepo. I'm not saying he can't come back in this match, he easily could, but he's always had a fairly narrow repertoire he plays extremely well. Which also suits his style. He seems to gain a lot of confidence in that. When they're just free styling from early on I think that's a pretty good situation for Nepo more than Ding as he's been comfortable playing many openings in classical, he's going to pressure on the clock, I think that situation works for him. Then he has prep with white, especially.

Last edited:

Alanxyz

Ding looks super sloppy in this match. His prep has been pretty poor at this level, all things considered. It's a World Championship match and he looks out of book very easily which is kind of surprising to me.

I also thought Rapport was kind of strange as a second. Completely polar opposite players. Surely at some point it would be more logical to have a player who has more similar tastes, so when the suggestions are made it is more natural, both for the player and the second.
I don’t know enough about their respective styles but presumably Ding wants someone advising him who sees the game differently, ideally someone who plays similar to Nepo rather than similar to himself.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's up with these players giving away solid advantages pretty much out of the opening.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Nonsense, match is actually very good and shows that classical can also be entertaining.
We are just very lucky that both of them think themselves better than the other, and aren't defaulting to drawish lines. Wouldn't be like this with Carlsen.

JPRouve

Scout
Nonsense, match is actually very good and shows that classical can also be entertaining.
Especially since they made most of their work in the middle game. Neither is relying on openings and neither is rushing to the endgame, it's all about who is better at calculating sharp lines.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Quite tragic to show such terrible time management in such an important game.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We are just very lucky that both of them think themselves better than the other, and aren't defaulting to drawish lines. Wouldn't be like this with Carlsen.
It's still completely random to try and make this point in the middle of a match that has seen 5 wins in seven games?

altodevil

It's still completely random to try and make this point in the middle of a match that has seen 5 wins in seven games?
Maybe these games will stop the trend?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In football terms last year's Championship was like watching peak Barca/Spain dismantle a team clearly levels below them. Whereas this is like some random PL Monday night 3-3 where both teams could implode at any point.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
These games are just wild :lol:

On a side note: god I hate Hess' comentating. Americans have to ruin everything..

altodevil

On a side note: god I hate Hess' comentating. Americans have to ruin everything..
Agree he's annoying. Super sharp game today. Loved that perpetual bluff, even if he didn't realise, by Nepo.

JPRouve

Scout

On an other note: I love Anish, he has my type of silly sense of humour.

And yes the games are wild, I wonder if they realize that they are probably of equal strength but with very different styles.

altodevil

Anish is brilliant, I quite like Daniel too.

JPRouve

Scout
The other day I was thinking about something. I don't know if in 14 games, you would have a clear winner between any combination of Abdusattorov, Wesley So, Ding, Nepomniachtchi, Nakamura, Vishi, Giri and Caruana.

Carlsen is clearly above them but that group is pretty even.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Hess is still miles better than Danny Rensch, who is truly horrific cliché American.
Caruana and Anish are my favorites I'd say.

altodevil

Hess is still miles better than Danny Rensch, who is truly horrific cliché American.
Caruana and Anish are my favorites I'd say.
Totally agree. Find Rensch awful, and he's such a smug prick.

In other news... supposedly Ding/Rapport lichess prep accounts have been leaked. Mainly because they played a game together last month that followed today's game exactly. Mad if true.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Those accounts were only found, because they played rated against each other, weren't they? :lol:

prateik

Nepo collapsed against Carlsen 2 years back.. Ding clearly holds his nerve better .

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Wtf was that... It's like leading 3-0 at halftime and losing 8-3 at the end

JPRouve

Scout
A handful of GMs are likely fuming, including Caruana. :lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Rewatching the end of the game, Ian's distress is a rare sight.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Is Robert Hess the James Corden of chess commentary?

Nepo under pressure out of the opening, with white... Considering this is Ding and not Magnus it seems like he unfortunately didn't to work through the issues he had in his previous match.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Some of the journalists at the post game conference ask some good questions then you got some others who go "I got a question for Ian, can you tell us about the game today, how did it go?", like what the hell are you covering that for

JPRouve

Scout
On that topic youtube suggested me that short this morning.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well, well, well.. Ding is actually under a bit of pressure right now. It's still nothing definite, but I guess either player losing the match with white in the final game would only be fitting to his roller coaster of a duel.

... and Nepo comes back to the board and instantly drops a "?" on the board... :lol:

Last edited: