Chicago Fire striker Jhon Durán

Wing Attack Plan R

We suddenly want to play with a target man? No thanks. Lumbering player. Makes Odion Ighalo look like Thierry Henry. Not meant as a diss on Ighalo, who did well in his time with us, he just wasn’t a very dynamic player, didn’t have a lot of pace, was a good - but not great forward. The YouTube highlight videos of players usually oversell the talent, obviously cherry-picking the best moments, but Duran’s videos are boring. Like, if this is the best of his moments, it’s very underwhelming.

Last edited:

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
The touch of a lukaku and terrible defending on show. Would do well against Lindelof types. Not convinced
Lukaku is a decent Striker. The problem is his price tag and wages. If we can get John on a low fee and reasonable wages and replica 80% of Lukaku's production, it is great great deal.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Lukaku is a decent Striker. The problem is his price tag and wages. If we can get John on a low fee and reasonable wages and replica 80% of Lukaku's production, it is great great deal.
No. The problem isn't his price tag or wages. The problem is his first touch, technique and general play which breaks so many attacks down.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The issue with Lukaku is that he isn't particularly good on the ball or at harrying the opposition off the ball. Which makes him difficult to live with even when he's scoring goals.

But you can absolutely live with a CF with limited technique, as a lot of systems don't ask the striker to get on the ball that much. You'd generally want them to offer more in other ways than just goals though. A Lukaku who pressed tirelessly would be a very different prospect.

Regardless, based on the reports during the summer and the main strikers we were actually linked with (Nunez, Sesko, Arnautovic) it doesn't surprise me to see us being linked with another physical CF. Whether this guy or someone else I would think adding that extra physicality at CF is more of a priority than adding outstanding technique.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Great striker? Hmm

Let me tell you where I am, I don’t like this product, I won’t be investing, I’m out

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I honestly doubt we'll be looking for a player in the MLS to solve our scoring problems, not to mention his stats in the MLS is mediocre(6 goals in 27games) doesn't shoulder any confidence.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
No. The problem isn't his price tag or wages. The problem is his first touch, technique and general play which breaks so many attacks down.
Don't get me wrong. I mean, Lukaku is a decent striker... powerful, great finishing but his first touch is so awful I can't bear to see week in week out in our starting XI. Ofcoz spending 80m we expect a prime RvP. If he was here for let say 20m I don't him starting on the bench as a impact sub.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I feel like we go round in circles on here. He's only 18 and has huge scope for improvement. We literally don't have a striker with his profile in the squad, the price is nothing for us. What's the issue?

Ibi Dreams

I feel like we go round in circles on here. He's only 18 and has huge scope for improvement. We literally don't have a striker with his profile in the squad, the price is nothing for us. What's the issue?
I get your point, I just think people don't want to sign players with poor technique. His touch does look clumsy at times. Why spend time and money on a player like that when we could sign a better one, essentially

AnotherLondonManc

At 10 million this is a no brainer. From what little I've seen, looks a more exciting prospect than Amad and Pellistri. Worst case scenario, loan him out a few seasons and move on at a tidy profit. Best case scenario, useful first team player for the next decade.

People here are acting like he would need to slot straight into the first team which clearly wouldn't be the case

Hughes35

Don't really see the fuss at being linked. 10 Million is nothing.

Best case - He ends up being like Lukaku. Scores a tonne of goals and we either play him, or sell for good money
worst case - He's not very good and we get rid of him, probably for similar money that we bought him for

Very low risk transfer so I'm all for it. Clubs sign 18 year olds that don't make it with them all the time.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
He looks really tall, but Wiki's telling me he's 6ft/1.85 metres.
To be fair that's just 2 centimeters shorter than Ronaldo and he's taller than most outfield players. Football is really not the tall man's sport.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I love the Duran Duran jokes by the way. I came for those jokes and the first page delivered :lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I get your point, I just think people don't want to sign players with poor technique. His touch does look clumsy at times. Why spend time and money on a player like that when we could sign a better one, essentially
It's all relative though right, he's an 18 year old playing against fully grown men. I imagine he can refine that, there seems to be this view that technique is inherent and can't be learned or improved, which I find strange.

On this last point, there really isn't anyone out there that wouldn't cost 5 times what is being mooted for him right now. Bear in mind we spent about 10m on Hannibal, it's a nothing investment relatively. I would rather we got some one young that we could develop, at a decent price, with a profile we lack. It was why I was so for Neves when he was being touted for about £35m, I think that's the philosophy that works when it comes to improving our side via transfers.

footballbite

The CF market is pretty slim pickings right now, especially given Utd could do with a CF option in January to at least replace Ronaldo's Europa League minutes and cameos off the bench.

Potential big signings such as Osimhen or Schick will likely not be feasible or even desirable in the January market and don't even seem guaranteed hits for the likely high fees. Then it'd probably be preferable to bring in a prospect who can improve instead a short-term stop-gap such as Ighalo or Arnautovic.

Unless Sesko is somehow available for £50mil or so, then bringing in this guy in January seems like it'd be a very sensible deal. He looks rapid, has a powerful strike, a great leap, decent strength with his back to goal, plus is left footed. He definitely looks more a proper no.9 in the making than someone like Gakpo, and would provide a different option off the bench with his aerial presence and likely tendency to move to the right side of the pitch (as opposed to the right-footed Martial and Rashford both drifting to the left).

I don't think his technique seems that much of an issue either. Sure, it's not immaculate, but it can improve. But even as is it seems no worse than players like Nunez (and before people turn their noses up, for the seeming £10-15mil mooted fee for this guy, and the kind of option Utd could do with off the bench, someone who could even be like a young Nunez for that fee would be a good move).

He can get 6 months of cameos off the bench for Utd to help develop and for the coaches to assess his level, and then Utd can reassess the CF market again in the summer if they wish to sign someone else more senior and when more players, including possibly someone like Kane, are more likely to be available.

NoPace

A giant 18 year old striker called up to Colombia already for 10M seems like an okay idea. Likely loan him out in MLS or the Segunda or a lower team in La Liga, the Championship or France, value shouldn't drop much as long as he can score goals in at least a 2nd division in Europe, and hopefully he can replace Martial in 2-3 years and be the backup for the expensive #9 we need.

From what I've read and seen now in videos, he seems to be unhappy there and a bit raw, but very strong, unselfish and capable of some hold up play.

On the other hand, some Chicago Fire fans posts:

"This is insanity. Gaga is world class. Yes, Duran has amazing physical attributes but technically he is not even close to EPL level. His weak foot is monstrously under developed. There were more than a few easy chances this season coming down the right side with high probability for goal where he was very uncomfortable. Yes, the Colombian Ntl Team gave him looks but Chelsea and Liverpool most certainly will see this hole in his game - a common one for attacking left footed players. £5m would be a steal! Got to keep it real man. Chicago got $1mm for Djordge and Jhon doesn't have near same quality, albeit physically superior!"

"He was terrible on Saturday and his apathy and attitude got him yelled at by teammates at least 5 times."

"Ezra has mentioned that he wasn't deserving of more playing time at the start of the season because he wasn't showing it in training. I recall one early game that Ezra screamed at him about keeping team shape. He has to play for the team, whatever his feelings are and if he thinks he's too "big" for the club/league."