Chicharito has become one of our most underrated players

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
What a finisher those first 2 years. 20 goals in his debut season. Had 18 and was Fergie's final goalscorer.

Bojan11

He wasn’t underrated.

He was great in the box, but everything outside it was awful including his first touch. He would have been more suited to 90s football when strikers had to do less in terms of all round play and he would have had a strike partner with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No he hasn’t. If anything he was overhyped. He wasn’t as good as Danny Ings even. He was at a dominant team and had great finishing instincts, but I always felt there was some sort of marketing campaign, largely by us I suspect, to paint him as some global South American superstar, largely for commercial reasons.

U99ted

Popped up with a lot of crucial goals in his 1st and 3rd seasons. Loved having him.

chiz2kul

Nothing under rated about him. What a completely random thread!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I won't say he is underrated. He was very limited player who scored few important goals.

Red Stone

Popped up with a lot of crucial goals in his 1st and 3rd seasons. Loved having him.
This. Berbatov was our top scorer in Chich's first season, but he was very streaky and scored his goals in bursts against teams we would have beaten anyway, including five against Blackburn. Meanwhile it seemed like every goal Chicharito scored won us points. Absolute lifesaver that season, and a very likeable character as well.

Wittmann45

I think he is properly rated by fans who seem to love his finishing but recognize his limitations.

I will never forget the goal he scored in that comeback against Blackpool. One of the worst first halves followed by a three goal comeback.

The Hernandez goal involved 4 touches/passes and a finish from a move that began from a goal kick. VDS to Giggs, who perfectly controlled and weighted the through ball into Hernandez who made a great run and finished clinically. Hernandez wanted to celebrate with Giggs and Giggs told him to get back to the half way like because there was another goal to score.

I also kind of wonder how many goals he scored that would have been taken away by VAR. Hernandez was so good at timing his runs but now that offside is literally a game of millimeters, he might have had a few goals overturned on review

Last edited:

el3mel

Not really. He's rated where he deserves to be. Very good striker to have in your squad, but can't be the main guy for a whole season on his own.

RashyForPM

He’s rated as worse than RvP and Rooney, but better than Welbeck. In other words, he’s rated properly. Fergie clearly knew it too, hence his position of main backup striker in that 2012-13 season.

Mark Pawelek

He wasn’t underrated.

He was great in the box, but everything outside it was awful including his first touch. He would have been more suited to 90s football when strikers had to do less in terms of all round play and he would have had a strike partner with him.
This. Seems to me - worldwide - youth coaches put more effort into improving 1st-touch - aiming to train players with no weaknesses - I guess Mexico was a few years behind the times?

Ladron de redcafe

I'm not sure he was underrated. He wasn't an exceptional footballer. But he did score some crucial goals during the 2010-11 season.

The opener against Chelsea in the 2-1 win was huge because United's lead had been cut down to 3 points and Chelsea had the goals difference advantage. A Chelsea win there would have swung the title race in their factor with 2 matches remaining. When Chicharito scored after 20 seconds, it calmed everyone's nerves and ramped up the pressure on Chelsea.

Acole9

Outstanding
He wasn’t underrated.

Spot on this.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
On a 1 on 1 I'd back him more than any striker bar Ruud.

He was an excellent poacher and a good player. Unfairly dumped by LVG.

I'm not an LVG hater as I respected his methods in getting us well drilled in his tactics. But his transfers in and out were flat out disastrous.

I dont care about their careers after united but Chicharito, Nani, Evans and Rafael never should have left and were all much better than the garbage LVG brought in.

Ibi Dreams

Feels like everytime he came off the bench in 12/13 he made an impact
He did occasionally change the game in quite a shocking way given his limitations. I really loved him in those first three seasons, I wish he'd had a bit more to his game so that we might have held on to him for longer

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
He obviously wouldn't have the burst of pace anymore and nobody can provide him the ball for him to finish.

Newtonius

Saw that full interview he could be a brilliant manager. Also he never should have even left just shows the incompetent appointments.

Ole'sattheWheel

Here we go with another ex United player nearing retirement who butters up the huge global United fan base just in time for his shit book release

In Rainbows

Here we go with another ex United player nearing retirement who butters up the huge global United fan base just in time for his shit book release
If that's the case, I don't get the hostility. It's a book, not some financial commitment.

AndySmith1990

He's not underrated at all. He was a good finisher and okay forward who made some valuable contributions as a squad player, nothing more nothing less.

JB7

No he hasn’t. If anything he was overhyped. He wasn’t as good as Danny Ings even. He was at a dominant team and had great finishing instincts, but I always felt there was some sort of marketing campaign, largely by us I suspect, to paint him as some global South American superstar, largely for commercial reasons.
There are multiple things wrong here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He was a one trick pony. His effectiveness went downhill the moment more and more defenders learnt his trick

Varun1

Saw that full interview he could be a brilliant manager. Also he never should have even left just shows the incompetent appointments.
Nah, very good in the box but fairly average otherwise. It's not like he was good for the other teams he played, not counting the MLS.

Dan_F

He was a one trick pony. His effectiveness went downhill the moment more and more defenders learnt his trick
Putting the ball in the net is quite an effective trick in football.

Considering the absolute dross we’ve had playing for us over the last 10 years, I don’t see how anyone can shit on him. He still managed to get 10 Premier League goals in the RvP season (18 for the season).

Have you ever listened to anything he’s said about the club, ever? Quite clearly not the case. Honestly, some of our fan base deserve the likes of Lukaku and Di Maria.

JB7

Well for one, he was definitely a better player than Danny Ings. And for two, it would be odd to paint a North American as a "global South American superstar".

Zen86

I definitely had a soft spot for him in his time here and was sad when he was pushed out the door. Felt he deserved a bit better.

He was very good at what he did, but he couldn’t do all that much more. He was fairly limited in the buildup, but he could be in the right place at the right time and put up a fight. I thought he was going to be the key to beating Barca in one of those CL finals we lost. Sadly not :(

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well for one, he was definitely a better player than Danny Ings. And for two, it would be odd to paint a North American as a "global South American superstar".
I see.

led_scholes

He was a good back up striker for a top team. He had a fighting mentality that you value because he was always trying to score and when you are pulling pressure you need someone like him.

I understand why LVG didn't want him here, but the problem that year was Rooney was already in championship levels. Nevertheless, I don't think we would have played at all if he had stayed, so selling him then was the only option. I remember when Moyes came, he said he didn't know a lot about players like Chicharito, and that point was a red alert for me; how can you not know an important player of the winners of the league you manage.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Putting the ball in the net is quite an effective trick in football.

Considering the absolute dross we’ve had playing for us over the last 10 years, I don’t see how anyone can shit on him. He still managed to get 10 Premier League goals in the RvP season (18 for the season).
It is, however there is more to football even for a goal poacher, which is why there are different levels of goal poachers from the likes of RVN, Batigol and Shearer at one end and the likes of Mitrovic or Nevland at the other. Chica is at the lower end of the spectrum. His movement, physicality and technique were meah, he lacked the football brain to switch things around or to notice & exploit weaknesses in the opponent's defence like good old Ole used to do from the bench as a player (not as a manager)

Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is destined to become a star with United and TBH they don't really need to. Chica was a shrewd signing. He came next to nothing both in terms of fees and salary, he proved useful to be around and he improved the club brand in America both business wise and in terms of attracting players. The boy had also shown great attitude that allowed him to bridge the gap between the Mexican league and the EPL. However you can only call a spade for what it is. Players like that are a hit and miss and they are dead cheap. I remember Inter used to sign them via bulk buying. At one point they got like 4 with the most expensive and rated one of the lot being a certain Caio. The guy turned down to be quite shit tbh. Howeve two of them bought for 6.50m euros and 3.5m euros respectively turned out to be half decent. Maybe you have heard of these two aka Roberto Carlos and Javier Zanetti.

m1tch

We got more from this guy than we did from the likes of Falcao and Cavani that's for sure.

Another thing we can say with a great deal of certainty is we won't be signing anyone this summer, that firstly, is as good as he was, second, as much of a bargain as he was.

Tommy79

Ah, leave books the feck alone as they are a great source of info, just read Robbo's one, ya know captain marvel etc, wow to think only for his young wife and baby he would have gone to his preferred choice in 81, liverpool and not us and only came here because we offered better wages and as I have said, he used the fact he needed money more than trophies back then due to his "young family", although he never mentions banging Clare Tomlinson back in 2000 behind his wife's back.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
His debut season was good. One of those seasons where everyone was writing United off early doors including our own fans and we turned it around.

For me though he epitomised that 09-13 late Ferguson era of getting the absolute maximum out of more average players.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Mexico is part of North America.