Chicharito has become one of our most underrated players

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
No he hasn’t. If anything he was overhyped. He wasn’t as good as Danny Ings even. He was at a dominant team and had great finishing instincts, but I always felt there was some sort of marketing campaign, largely by us I suspect, to paint him as some global South American superstar, largely for commercial reasons.
He's Mexico's all time leading goal scorer and played at United and Real Madrid. Why wouldn't he be painted as a global superstar? We'll ignore your geographical ignorance. Mexico is an absolutely football mad country on par with England and this lad moved to Man Utd for 7m and helped us win titles and advance to the final of the Champions League. He has every right to be celebrated.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me he is the type of dross that SAF bought that never left the final squad at a good enough standard.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It was mental at the time that a signing was coming from Mexico, now it's quite common place. Quite a groundbreaking signing in that respect, I foolishly thought he was going to be absolutely shite.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's Mexico's all time leading goal scorer and played at United and Real Madrid. Why wouldn't he be painted as a global superstar? We'll ignore your geographical ignorance. Mexico is an absolutely football mad country on par with England and this lad moved to Man Utd for 7m and helped us win titles and advance to the final of the Champions League. He has every right to be celebrated.
Because he wasn’t that good. When he joined, at 22 (or might have even been 24) from Mexico for 6m - he was what he was, a good penalty box striker. We hadn’t gone and bought a Neymar or Vinicius type is all I’m saying, and I always felt the club were trying to push him as that kind of superstar, because our model is about having one/some of those and we tried to do it on the cheap. He played for Madrid, yes, but his signing there wasn’t viewed anything like the same way we treated it.

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
This. Seems to me - worldwide - youth coaches put more effort into improving 1st-touch - aiming to train players with no weaknesses - I guess Mexico was a few years behind the times?
Just like everything else in Mexican society, football is Full of corruption. In order to be picked and become a profesional you have to give the coaches some money. Hernández, as the son and grandson of footballers, had it easier.
I actually started reading this forum when Hernández signed. I thought he was going to be a great player. But in modern football you can't only be a finisher. You can't play with 10 every time you are not in scoring position.
I think the guy is our national team's all time goal scorers but hasn't been called for years despite being younger than the likes of Benzema.
He was, IMO, actually overrated.

Last edited:

CarbonStoolBites

For me he is the type of dross that SAF bought that never left the final squad at a good enough standard.
Dross? We weren’t winning the league in 2011 without him, he was an excellent buy for the money.
Scored some important goals in 2013 as well.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He was a great squad player. He worked well as part of a squad and had success during a good period for us.

If he was born ten to fifteen years earlier, he'd of been one of the best strikers in Europe given his ability to score any goals

Abraxas

How exactly should he be rated? I think he should be rated as a cracking buy from an offbeat league, but it doesn't mean he was some sort of legend, or one of the best around. He was a squad man that at times did play a significant role.

He was a good player around the box. Could sniff out a chance, play on the last man, finish with head and feet. Nothing wrong with that but he wasn't the modern striker in his overall game. No need to go over the top and risk reinventing history about what he was.

We could certainly use him right now, that's for sure.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Dross? We weren’t winning the league in 2011 without him, he was an excellent buy for the money.
Scored some important goals in 2013 as well.
We win titles with Cleverely and Welbeck’s - doesn’t mean they are good enough players for us for the future.

Devil81

Once figured out he was absolutely useless. It was almost like playing with a man light at times with him on the field.

The pattern followed him everywhere he went. His ability was a fox in the box, defenders figure that out in modern football and make him look amazingly limited.

Oaencha

I would happily have Chicarito back for 1-2 seasons. He won’t be a 20 goal striker but he offers something different to what we have. Wages will be reasonable and he loves the club. West Ham isn’t a fair barometer of his skills. They were crap in build up play at the time. Marginally better now.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Absolutely underrated…his movement was the best I’ve seen and he was extremely effective. There are a few players around in that same team that are massively overrated because they arrived when Ronaldo blossomed and when Evra and Vidic settled.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Decent pace, great movement and good instincts in front of goal, but poor to average in pretty much every other aspect of his game. Thought his finishing was very overrated. Wasn't a particularly clean striker of the ball, nor did he show much nuance or variety when in front of goal. His touch and link up play was utterly abysmal.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
5th best goals per minute ratio in Premier League Era.

Sure, average outside the box but deadly in front of goal and excellent in the air.