China to invest $400 billion in Iran

Zlatattack

Iran and China have updated a 25-year deal signed first in 2016 that foresees $400 billion of Chinese investment in the resource-rich Middle Eastern nation, well-regarded energy industry publication the Petroleum Economist reports.

“The central pillar of the new deal is that China will invest $280 billion, developing Iran's oil, gas and petrochemicals sectors,” said the monthly magazine which spoke to “a senior source closely connected to Iran's Petroleum Ministry” during Zarif’s visit.

This amount may be front-loaded into the first five-year period of the deal but the understanding is that further amounts will be available in every subsequent five-year period, subject to both parties' agreement, it said.

“There will be another $120 billion investment in upgrading Iran's transport and manufacturing infrastructure, which again can be front-loaded into the first five-year period and added to in each subsequent period should both parties agree,” it added.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/09/04/605301/Iran-China-investment-oil-gas-railway-US-Russia

Big implications for US designs on Iran. The Chinese have just come in and put themselves firmly in the Iranian corner, like Russia did in Syria.

Member 60376

Really going for that Silk Route aren't they?
Bye bye India from Chabahar.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
from that link:
"China imported more than 900,000 metric tons of crude oil from Iran in July, up more than 8 percent from the month before, data released last week by China's General Administration of Customs (GAC) showed.

The imports by the world’s largest oil buyer and more importantly the increase in shipments came despite Washington’s threat to punish companies after ending waivers to unilateral sanctions on Iranian oil on May 2.

Beijing has braced for any fallout from its participation in Iranian development projects and possible face-off with the US, the international energy website OilPrice.com said last month.

“If there is any further pushback from the US on any of these Chinese projects in Iran, then Beijing will invoke in full force the ‘nuclear option’ of selling all or a significant part of its $1.4 trillion holding of US Treasury bills, with a major chunk of the paper due to be sold in September on this basis,” it said."

China continues to play the long game while the US thinks about it but can't quite get their head past 2 years in the future.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Doesn't surprise me. Iran & China have been collaborating on intelligence matters too, sharing information on CIA activities.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Seems like Trump s stance to burn all bridges is working out great. The world is moving on without the US in many ways. Mattis must be way more angry than he appears to be.

Quite amazing how the US and UK - two of the most powerful western nations are almost quite literally shooting themselves in the foot while other countries create their new version of world order.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
To be fair it's easier to make long term plans when you're a dictatorship. You don't have to please voters or worry about alternative proposals from opponents in elections.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It is interesting reading this article because you know somewhere in the recesses of the CIA and the Pentagon that analysts are putting together these pieces to try to understand China's long game.
The US public only gets the snippets about tariffs, Apple coming back to the US etc, but the real strategy is to counter China's long term plans.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Norway is a dictatorship?
The comparison between China and the US. It's a lot harder to plan things long term in the US, where there is great political divide and two very different ways of looking at society. You don't have these problems in China.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Not impossible, but much more difficult in a democracy esp when a unruly president throws a spanner in works.
Of course not, but the bigger the country the harder it is. I just said it was easier for dictatorships.
Yeah, too many competing interests in the US.
History will be the judge but this period when looked back on will be quite something.
What with climate change, Boris J and Trump, the rise of China, etc....

With their hindsight, people in the future will wonder how it all was allowed to happen.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah, too many competing interests in the US.
History will be the judge but this period when looked back on will be quite something.
What with climate change, Boris J and Trump, the rise of China, etc....

With their hindsight, people in the future will wonder how it all was allowed to happen.
China is also doing this with nuclear power, which the US has an ambivalent relationship with. If they put a commercially viable thorium reactor online in the next decade or so it could be a game changer worldwide and the US will be left behind in yet another form of non-fossil fuel power generation (we’ve already taken a step back in advancing renewables due to the Donald regime).

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
...... Norway; my bad bringing it up, but it was just an example where long term planning can take place, without it being done by a dictator.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
...... Norway; my bad bringing it up, but it was just an example where long term planning can take place, without it being done by a dictator.
I think it’s more to do with homogeneity which would explain both China and your counter example in Norway. Though, dictatorship still makes things easier.

Zlatattack

This might be the only country that might actually benefit from Chinese investment.
Yeah the Iranians don't strike me as stupid or that corrupt. They're authoritarian, ambitious and resourceful.

I recently found out that Iran's literacy rate is like 95%, and they produce the 5th highest number of STEM graduates in the world. It's non oil exports are higher than Pakistan's total exports, and we don't have sanctions or anything!

They don't seem the type that will fall into any debt traps. Good for them - i might not agree with their politics, internally or abroad; but if people are going to benefit from this and live a better quality of life as a result, i consider that good news.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah the Iranians don't strike me as stupid or that corrupt. They're authoritarian, ambitious and resourceful.

I recently found out that Iran's literacy rate is like 95%, and they produce the 5th highest number of STEM graduates in the world. It's non oil exports are higher than Pakistan's total exports, and we don't have sanctions or anything!

They don't seem the type that will fall into any debt traps. Good for them - i might not agree with their politics, internally or abroad; but if people are going to benefit from this and live a better quality of life as a result, i consider that good news.
I would double check that bit.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Maybe they are. I only assume they're not because they're managing to do alright all things considering.
The elite are doing alright despite broader economic difficulties, in part due to corruption. Not too dissimilar to Russia, who they rank nearby on the corruption index.