Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

He is more solid than others in term of defensiveness. The thing is at top level, he can still beaten time from time just like most defenders; which brings us back in the vicious cycle of ball playing ability.

Overall as a team we performed better this game, yet we're still very prone to pass it back to DDG and go long, as we can't trust our game especially Smalling to pass out from the back. We couldn't get the cutting edge with the momentum and when opposition become stable we're more prone to concede chances due to our unbalanced, no consistent backline/partnership.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He needs a ball playing CB next to him. Shame we sold our best one in Blind.

ti vu

He needs a ball playing CB next to him. Shame we sold our best one in Blind.
Not this again. Sure, it helps a little with someone like Blind. It's no cure. Evidently even with Blind who has good out ball from this back, backpassing, sidepassing between midfielders and defenders had been issue. LVG himself would like to upgrade on Smalling himself.

While Smalling shouldn't be the first out of the door, he is not somebody you want to build your plan around, he is no spring chicken which can be expected some growth from him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not this again. Sure, it helps a little with someone like Blind. It's no cure. Evidently even with Blind who has good out ball from this back, backpassing, sidepassing between midfielders and defenders had been issue. LVG himself would like to upgrade on Smalling himself.

While Smalling shouldn't be the first out of the door, he is not somebody you want to build your plan around, he is no spring chicken which can be expected some growth from him.
I don't necessarily like him as first choice either but he is our best defender so he needs to be in there for now. It's just, in my opinion, no one else we have compliments him like Blind did in 15/16.

Last edited:

Ekeke

I don't understand post likes this. "It's not the first time he's done shit like that". Like what, a mistake? No shit. Show me a defender that has made no mistakes and I'll show you a blind observer. If you're looking for a faultless defender god help you.

It wasn't really even particularly shit. He didn't do anything really bad if you analyse it. By that time we were throwing caution to the wind, and had thrown everyone forward. He was left high up the pitch on a 1-on-1 with one of the fastest players in the league and he made a challenge but it wasn't strong enough and Moura rode it. It's still a mistake, but it's one of those things that happen given the circumstances. It was also inconsequential and he was arguably one of the players keeping us in the game until the two goals went in. He seemed the only one capable of doing some actual defending all game.
He's right. Its not the first time Chris Smalling has made a bit of a mistake in his 8 years at the club.

Most of our players made far more in that time though.

Like you say its good from Moura to ride the challenge and a bit under what you'd expect from Smalling going to ground without making sure he deals with the ball. Doesnt happen often

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
No protection sadly, and no cover. He had a 2vs1 in the first half that he executed just perfectly. Stopped a goal on his own. Stuff like that is exactly why i love him as a defender. Sadly he made a mistake that cost us that third goal, which was sad. He knew he shouldn't have dropped off, you could see it in his face. Should have been aggressive and made a foul early. And was unlucky with the tackle being soft.. But, i don't blame him for that.

What is terrible to see tho, in that same situation, is how Lindelof stopped running while Chris made the tackle. A real CB would not gamble on his partner like that, he would make sure to cover his ass if he misses the tackle. But he just stopped, i don't understand why he would do that. Smallings attempted tackle slowed Moura down just enough for Lindelof to reach him.

ti vu

I don't necessarily like him as first choice either but he is our best defender so he needs to be in there for now. It's just, in my opinion, no one else we have compliments him like Blind did in 15/16.
Fair points. At the moment he looks the most solid defensively among our CB option. I agree he is here to stay until we can improve. I don't agree regarding Blind. We didn't do well to upgrade but doesn't mean Blind should stick around since he's barely played past season and coming to his contract end. We got fair fee for him. Him eventually leaves for free is bad deal for us. Us not being able to get another CB is the problem.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Fair points. At the moment he looks the most solid defensively among our CB option. I agree he is here to stay until we can improve. I don't agree regarding Blind. We didn't do well to upgrade but doesn't mean Blind should stick around since he's barely played past season and coming to his contract end. We got fair fee for him. Him eventually leaves for free is bad deal for us. Us not being able to get another CB is the problem.
Honestly, I get why José sold him. He just wasn't his type of player. I just wish he had tried Smalling and Blind together (I don't think he did once but I may be wrong) because, in my opinion, they were probably our best CB duo since Rio and Vidic.

I need to get over it, thought. What's done is done!

Ashley R1+O

So I guess we are back to him single handedly cell-taping our defense together again until the dam breaks and then just calling him shit-water as well because in the end all water is water? We desperately need a partner for him and a proper fullback on his right. Someone else who will take responsibility and wants to lead, as much as Smalling leads with his game he can't communicate at all or maybe he's just given up trying because it is a shambles.

ZDwyr

He's the least of our worries from a CB perspective. I'd just stick with him and Bailly and see what they can do. They're both far better options than the alternatives.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He had good game, should have done better for the third goal but Lucas is very quick, so hard to stop when Smalling was the last defender. Made few very good blocks and tackle (on Alli when Matic lost the ball). Overall he had decent game, only player apart from Shaw who was decent.

Fracture90

Has his good moments, had his poor moments - typical Smalling, tho I believe with the run of games he is probably our best CB, certainly most experienced one. Also he was lumped in with Jones and Herrera in a brand new system.

ROFLUTION

Proved again that he's our best defender. 3rd goal wasn't good, but for the rest of the game he saved us a couple of time and turned Kane down (again).

Lindelöf not running all the way to back up Smalling for the 3rd goal was again headless. We'll never win anything with him on the field.

Put Matic down there and see what Smalling/Matic can do as a pairing

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
no leadership, no one responds to his commands, too scared to mark kane, too scared of the ball, dumb as bricks

woodward will probably resign him 5 year deal on massive wages, this is why we are shite
Seriously? Smalling dominates Kane constantly. He did so every time they went into a challenge together in this match, and he's done it pretty much every time they've faced each other for the last few years. He doesn't get to decide who he's marking on corners, that's up to the coaching department. Even a couple of Spurs fans were saying before the game that they hoped Smalling wouldn't play because Kane struggles against him.

Andersons Dietician

Honestly, I get why José sold him. He just wasn't his type of player. I just wish he had tried Smalling and Blind together (I don't think he did once but I may be wrong) because, in my opinion, they were probably our best CB duo since Rio and Vidic.

I need to get over it, thought. What's done is done!
They played in the final of the UEFA did they not and probably put together our best defensive display that wasn’t just reliant on flooding our box with bodies since Jose arrived.

Oldham

Thought he played well yesterday. Should be an automatic starter...
The headache is who to play with him (obviously not Jones)...

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He is comfortably our best CB when it comes to defending. He was good yesterday until Spurs went ahead. I am happy to put the third goal down to tired legs / rustiness because you don't usually get past Smalling. It's a shame he is so limited on the ball because it does hold us back, so many times he plays a nervy pass to Jones or De Gea. Should be a Bailly - Smalling partnership for me.

Ole90+3

Thought he was good last night considering the shambles he had at either side of him. He was constantly having to make last ditch challenges on Spurs players that should have been picked up by his teammates. The tackle on Dele Alli in the first half was a great piece of defending considering one of our midfielders should have bene tracking him.

The only part of Smalling's performance I was disappointed with was his poor effort to tackle Lucas on the 3rd goal and as the poster above me mentioned that could easily be attributed to lack of match fitness and tiredness.

Smalling + 1 until the end of the season. Has to be.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think he was as bad as how the 3rd goal looks, I thought he was very good until the 3rd goal. The 3rd goal obviously shambles but overall his performance for 90th mins was good enough to be guaranteed starting XI above what we are currently have right now. I just wished we still have Blind though, I think he's his best partner.

Janson

I think he's our best defender no doubt, that tackle on Kane was it? It was exceptional.

One of the reasons he gets criticised so much I believe, is because people are seeing how Pep has ball playing players in every position and now are expecting him to be able to do that.

If you know you're not good at passing just hoof it, old school style.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Surround him with decent footballers, allow him to focus on his strengths and his limitations with the ball wont matter.

Even the tackle on Moura for the third goal was a decent effort; if it’s Jones or Bailly they take the man, if it’s Lindelof he misses the man completely - Smalling did the best he could in the circumstances. Blind wasn’t perfect, but his partnership with Smalling was the best the club has seen since Ferguson, and Jose dissolving it out of bitterness towards LVG has been moronic.

Revan

Assumptionman
Surround him with decent footballers, allow him to focus on his strengths and his limitations with the ball wont matter.

Even the tackle on Moura for the third goal was a decent effort; if it’s Jones or Bailly they take the man, if it’s Lindelof he misses the man completely - Smalling did the best he could in the circumstances. Blind wasn’t perfect, but his partnership with Smalling was the best the club has seen since Ferguson, and Jose dissolving it out of bitterness towards LVG has been moronic.
There was nothing decent about it. He just got found out, it happens quite often (less often than with out other defenders, but still).

Agree about Smalling-Blind partnership. Nothing special, but easily the best one we have had since Rio-Vidic.

Robbie Boy

There was nothing decent about it. He just got found out, it happens quite often (less often than with out other defenders, but still).

Agree about Smalling-Blind partnership. Nothing special, but easily the best one we have had since Rio-Vidic.
Which is a seriously depressing downgrade.

Bobski

Found out? The ball somehow bounced through his legs allowing Moura to carry on. If you want to criticize areas of his game there are far more egregious issues than a fortuitous bounce when left totally exposed against one of the fastest players in the league.

How do we think notable speedster Harry Maguire does in that situation? Or Alderweireld? Spurs never leave the latter in that position for us to find out.

Ekeke

Moura did well to keep his balance and composure. Wasnt the best tackle you'll ever see from Smalling but would have worked against some players. Credit to Moura

RedStarUnited

I dont know how a player so bad with his feet can also be so bad in the air.

Volks beat him in the air about 3 times which on another day, one of them goes in.

Bobski

Volks beat him in the air about 3 times which on another day, one of them goes in.
Smalling being bad in the air is something we see every week to be fair, and I think he might have misplaced one pass today. Eviscerate the bastard.

We should hope he can be as good as Mee and Tarkowski someday.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
The defence wasn’t really challenged today but he constantly grabs players, var will be the end of him.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Now he's bad in air. The Smalling hate gets odder every week.

Bobski

The defence wasn’t really challenged today but he constantly grabs players, var will be the end of him.
Wood spent the entire first half backing in, looking to initiate contact, hoping the crowd pressure could buy him freekicks. Every CB grapples, at every level, Smalling has given away one penalty in his Utd career for holding.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good game. Very assuring with him on the side when we play the likes of Burnely

Status
Not open for further replies.