Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

@Mcking , @Ekeke , @villain . Lets put that second goal aside and the fact that he is better than all other our defenders. I will ask you only one simple question. Do you think that Smalling is quality for Man Utd?
Obviously. If we found another very good defender but with more ability on the ball to play next to Smalling we'd be laughing. The problem is he hasnt had much help, not enough people carrying their own load so he's had to do more than is reasonable for 1 defender. A lot of the time he's good enough to do it. Occasionally he isnt good enough to cover for the other defenders and people slaughter him on forums.

Ashley R1+O

To be fair, he has now been a defender for 4 years? And we’ve seen he knows how to do it but like Valencia just little losses of concentration however I’ve no idea what he was doing there and even on the Alonso chance he just watched him go.
I just find it weird that these guys are all playing at this level and don’t seem to do the basics of defending and act as individuals instead of the unit it should be.
You've just answered your own question. I personally don't care how long Young/Valencia have been playing in defense for us for. They aren't defenders, they'll never be defenders. They don't do the instinctive defensive basics like you've just talked about above and it just compounds the issues through the rest of the team.

Jose is renounced for being good at setting up a back 4 but LVG’s defensive unit looks miles ahead of what we currently see.
Because we kept the ball for 65-70% of the game and took absolutely no risks. Most of the goals we conceded in crucial moments were from colossal feck-ups from Blind being unable to man mark in the box properly.

Andersons Dietician

You've just answered your own question. I personally don't care how long Young/Valencia have been playing in defense for us for. They aren't defenders, they'll never be defenders. They don't do the instinctive defensive basics like you've just talked about above and it just compounds the issues through the rest of the team.

Because we kept the ball for 65-70% of the game and took absolutely no risks. Most of the goals we conceded in crucial moments were from colossal feck-ups from Blind being unable to man mark in the box properly.
See I don’t agree with this they aren’t defenders things. You’re not born a defender, you learn it and even playing as a striker you would/should know the basics of defending. Some people will love defending and some won’t, Young and Valencia seem to be the type who just relish a challenge along with Herrera even Rooney.

4 years is long enough to learn the basics and anyone should be able to spot danger and where you’re vulnerable. Hazard yesterday saw Rashford was the danger got back at him, realised danger was coming and took him down. Martial filled in a lot for Shaw yesterday when Shaw was pushing. These guys have been playing football almost everyday for ranging somewhere between 15-25 years.

Generally I just think we are poorly coached and for me you watched how the unit worked and it was better under LVG possession or not, they had the basics down and were a unit and Smalling was arguably at his best in that period playing higher up the pitch. RB is a problem position for me but I’m not sure just buying say Meunier would solve the issue in our defence. The whole team is a bit of a mess and doesn’t seem to know what it is doing really.

It’s just mind boggling watching us and how poor we really are at most aspects of football but still manage to get results.

Ekeke

Once again his inability to deal with a cross coming in from the left with his left foot has cost us.
Because he was covering Lindelof's position. But the rightback didnt come across to cover his. The same as usual, Smalling covers another player but nobody covers him so he gets the blame :lol:

I will say though for me its half a mistake because he got contact on the ball and it went where we didnt want it to go. But yeah he covered his teammate like usual and nobody covered him. Same as usual.

In a good defense its great that hes always covering his fullbacks and CBs that are out of position. But playing with players who dont read the game well and dont see him covering, and that their responsibility to cover as well has been activated, it can lead to problems.

Bobski

Could possibly have done better on that goal, but he and Lindelof were a long way from the problem tonight.

Raw

Could possibly have done better on that goal, but he and Lindelof were a long way from the problem tonight.
Yep, no protection from midfield and the wings. Think they still need time together to develop a better understanding since there are still some silly mistakes here and there.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he and Lindelof were pretty good tonight. Lindelof was probably better, but that block and then Matic just standing there, seriously if I was Smalling i’d Have throttled him. That run and ball Smalling put in tho, saw Bonucci try it and obviously thought he should get involved.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Because he was covering Lindelof's position. But the rightback didnt come across to cover his. The same as usual, Smalling covers another player but nobody covers him so he gets the blame :lol:

I will say though for me its half a mistake because he got contact on the ball and it went where we didnt want it to go. But yeah he covered his teammate like usual and nobody covered him. Same as usual.

In a good defense its great that hes always covering his fullbacks and CBs that are out of position. But playing with players who dont read the game well and dont see him covering, and that their responsibility to cover as well has been activated, it can lead to problems.
Same as usual. Somebody else is guilty but not Smalling. That is excuse which is boring now. He was late in that tackle. He should clear that cross/ ball. He didn't. After that, came mistakes from other players and we conceded a goal.

kundalini

Apart from failing to cut out the cross from which they scored, I thought he had a decent game.

Bobski

Apart from failing to cut out the cross from which they scored, I thought he had a decent game.
Dealt fairly comfortably with Ronaldo for the most part.

Juve did stop attacking with any real ambition after about 30 mins though.

Ekeke

Same as usual. Somebody else is guilty but not Smalling. That is excuse which is boring now. He was late in that tackle. He should clear that cross/ ball. He didn't. After that, came mistakes from other players and we conceded a goal.
Its football, not excuses. Its a team game and he's a team player. He covers someone else and nobody covers him, so he gets the blame.

Had Smalling said feck this I'm not covering Lindelof, and stays in the middle allowing a free shot from the Juventus player at the front post Lindelof would get the blame. Smalling's nature is to do the right thing for the team which is covering his teammate.

But Young doesnt tuck in from right back to cover Smalling's position, like Smalling did for Lindelof. So the space was left gaping and the ball broke there.

Again half a mistake from Smalling because he got a foot on the ball and it broke where you dont want it to break. But the only reason he is there at all is covering for a teammate who takes himself out of the play all together with terrible positioning. Lindelof didnt help defend against Ronaldo, the cross, or the player at the front post. He did exactly the worst thing he could do in that situation.

baskinginthesun

Its football, not excuses. Its a team game and he's a team player. He covers someone else and nobody covers him, so he gets the blame.

Had Smalling said feck this I'm not covering Lindelof, and stays in the middle allowing a free shot from the Juventus player at the front post Lindelof would get the blame. Smalling's nature is to do the right thing for the team which is covering his teammate.

But Young doesnt tuck in from right back to cover Smalling's position, like Smalling did for Lindelof. So the space was left gaping and the ball broke there.

Again half a mistake from Smalling because he got a foot on the ball and it broke where you dont want it to break. But the only reason he is there at all is covering for a teammate who takes himself out of the play all together with terrible positioning. Lindelof didnt help defend against Ronaldo, the cross, or the player at the front post. He did exactly the worst thing he could do in that situation.
Yep. Saw the danger and went to cover for Lindelof. Can't blame him for trying to do something about it. Unlucky break with the way the ball bounced but, he really wasn't the problem in the goal.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Before you say anything more, can you admit Smalling was covering for another defender so he had to leave his man, and that another player should then pick up the player arriving in the 5 yard box?
Also are agreeing with the man saying the ball ricocheting out in the area of a block is a systematic problem, which cost us because it only happens for Smalling?

I get that you want other defenders but why make shit up. That isn't being late to a tackle, its being unlucky. The ball ricocheting happens every game, and you should look to see why that happening is costing as a goal. If we was well organised and the players were doing their jobs, it wouldn't be a tap in for Dybala. And before you accuse me, what i'm saying is facts not excuses.

Devil may care

He was ok tonight, didn't really do anything wrong but tonight was Lindelof's night in the back 4.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yep. Saw the danger and went to cover for Lindelof. Can't blame him for trying to do something about it. Unlucky break with the way the ball bounced but, he really wasn't the problem in the goal.
What are you talking about? From the start of Juve's action, he was marking Cuadrado. Lindelof was nowhere, Matic didn't cover Dybala, Shaw allowed cross.... it was mistake after mistake, but Smalling didn't cover for Lindelof here. His player was Cuadrado. And he failed.
And yes, i want new defenders. Especially after this match when i saw Chiellini and Bonucci. That is the way how you play defence. From ball distribution to pure defending.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What are you talking about? From the start of Juve's action, he was marking Cuadrado. Lindelof was nowhere, Matic didn't cover Dybala, Shaw allowed cross.... it was mistake after mistake, but Smalling didn't cover for Lindelof here. His player was Cuadrado. And he failed.
And yes, i want new defenders. Especially after this match when i saw Chiellini and Bonucci. That is the way how you play defence. From ball distribution to pure defending.
How did he fail? He blocked the cross, what more you want him to do? Get up and block Dybala's shot too?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How did he fail? He blocked the cross, what more you want him to do? Get up and block Dybala's shot too?
Hm..maybe to clear that ball in first attempt? To get the ball before attacker? I don't know, i want basic things from Man Utd first 11 defender. I am spoiled i guess.

roonster09

Scout
Hm..maybe to clear that ball in first attempt? To get the ball before attacker? I don't know, i want basic things from Man Utd first 11 defender. I am spoiled i guess.
How can he clear the ball when the attacker made a superb run and the other player made a very good cross? It's not like CBs gets a heads up on everything that is going to happen. Smalling did the best he could and blocked the cross. It's not on him if other players can't even mark the players in the box.

Name a CB and it's easy to find the said player not clearing the ball before attacker. You are not spoiled, you just live in a fantasy world where every goal is attributed to some defender mistake.

Mcking

How can he clear the ball when the attacker made a superb run and the other player made a very good cross? It's not like CBs gets a heads up on everything that is going to happen. Smalling did the best he could and blocked the cross. It's not on him if other players can't even mark the players in the box.

Name a CB and it's easy to find the said player not clearing the ball before attacker. You are not spoiled, you just live in a fantasy world where every goal is attributed to some defender mistake.
I don't even know how somehow can even think about blaming Smalling for that goal.

roonster09

Scout
I don't even know how somehow can even think about blaming Smalling for that goal.
Tbf I have seen worse last season where Smalling was blamed for every goal. Also for one of Jones' own goal he was blamed saying Smalling makes everyone nervous.

Mcking

Tbf I have seen worse last season where Smalling was blamed for every goal. Also for one of Jones' own goal he was blamed saying Smalling makes everyone nervous.
Ohh yess. I almost forgot we are talking about Smalling.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I say that for Jones. Never for Smalling. Maybe i slate him often but i admit him some traits. Being calm is one of them

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Tbf it has gone the other way before too when Blind was blamed for losing a header and rushing out when he actually won the header and Smalling went rushing out to a ball he had no chance of winning. The arguments on both sides are always ridiculous. His supporters claim he plays a 1 man defence by himself while those against try say he is at fault for everything.

roonster09

Scout
Tbf it has gone the other way before too when Blind was blamed for losing a header and rushing out when he actually won the header and Smalling went rushing out to a ball he had no chance of winning. The arguments on both sides are always ridiculous. His supporters claim he plays a 1 man defence by himself while those against try say he is at fault for everything.
Yeah agree with this.

RedDevil@84

The only blame Smalling gets is being not able to clear the ball of Cuadrado. And that is like saying a defender should always get the ball, which is impossible.
And it was not a clever ball from Cuadrado to Dybala in anyway. Dybala is lucky it fell to him conveniently so close to goal, after getting deflected from probably both Cuadrado and Smalling's legs. The blame is only on the ones who let Dybala get there without a struggle.

Oldyella

I know talk is mainly on how an older experienced cb would help our younger defenders, but would love to see how much better we would be if Smalling played next to someone of more quality.

baskinginthesun

Sorry, Smalling was not really the issue in this build up. He marked Cuadrado, as you say, and was beaten by a deflected cross which he managed to something on but, was unlucky with the bounce.

I agree, new defenders would be nice but, more for someone to partner Smalling, for me.

What? Cuadrado was never Lindelof's man. He was watching Dybala and keeping the line, then when Matic picked Dybala up he was free. Cuadrado was Smalling's all the way and moved across in front of him. He made the recovery tackle, it was just unlucky the way it fell straight to Dybala.

The blame is on Matic for letting Dybala get in front of him so easily. He did the same thing 5 minutes earlier when Dybala had the free header.

Bobski

Stupid tackle, force the attacker to beat you and/or the keeper from a tough angle instead of diving in. Yes, Pogba made a mistake but you can't panic like that.

He and Lindelof has actually played quite well up to that point, both full backs struggled a little.

Zoo

Flashbacks of his penalty giveaway at the Etihad a few years ago. He should know better. Shame because he had another positive game otherwise.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Utterly stupid tackle, no need for it. Should be bossing that situation easily.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Much like Pogba, one bad decision sours his game.
I thought he and Lindelof did well though.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
It was a shite challenge in all fairness, but him & Lindelof have been playing well recently.

This thread is gonna fill up with all the people who don't like him, venting about how crap he is, but couldn't say anything nice when he's been playing well for us.

Ekeke

Played well up until that stupid dive in. Just had to stay on his feet and try and force him as wide as he could. He was actually pretty lucky not to get sent off.
Agreed. Played well then made a stupid challenge thats not like him and yeah was half expecting him to be sent off. Lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.