Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Also one more VAR game where Smalling didn't concede penalty. Hopefully that myth dies now.
Without VAR maybe he could have done some shirt pulling to avoid the goal, which was maybe his only mistake in this match.

Red_toad

Without VAR maybe he could have done some shirt pulling to avoid the goal, which was maybe his only mistake in this match.
Come again his mistake? If you’re classing not being able to accelerate as fast as one of the quickest in the game, then that’s one of a high standard to set.
Don’t get the hate and how everything we conceded is somehow attributed to him....

manunited1919

He’ll earn a grudging England callup from Southgate. I hope he tells Southgate to feck off.

stevoc

Mike beast mode Smalling.

If anyone still thinks he isn't our best defender then i don't know who they're watching every week.

Brutal on the ball but pure defending he's one of the best around.

A-man

Come again his mistake? If you’re classing not being able to accelerate as fast as one of the quickest in the game, then that’s one of a high standard to set.
Don’t get the hate and how everything we conceded is somehow attributed to him....
If you’re defining what I wrote as “hate”, there is no wonder you see hate everywhere.

Ekeke

If you’re defining what I wrote as “hate”, there is no wonder you see hate everywhere.
Can you specify what you meant? You seemed to be suggesting Smalling was at fault for the goal which would be ludicrous and it would be understandable for someone to think that can only come from someone intent on hating Smalling.

arnie_ni

He stepped up and played a perfect offside, if he didnt have a lazy rb alongside him

kundalini

Superb defending from Smalling tonight. Looked a nervous wreck whenever in possession.

Red_toad

Nope not what you wrote. Sorry if you misinterpreted my post.
Read back through the thread, he’s a very unappreciated player lots of people who really don’t like him playing for United.

A-man

Can you specify what you meant? You seemed to be suggesting Smalling was at fault for the goal which would be ludicrous and it would be understandable for someone to think that can only come from someone intent on hating Smalling.
It was a joke about VAR. But anyways, he could have done better at the goal. I don’t say it was his fault, as this is what happens. Sometimes you’re beaten when you face top opposition. But of course he could have done better, those who don’t believe he could do better are really the one questioning him.

Ekeke

It was a joke about VAR. But anyways, he could have done better at the goal. I don’t say it was his fault, as this is what happens. Sometimes you’re beaten when you face top opposition. But of course he could have done better, those who don’t believe he could do better are really the one questioning him.
He did do better. He was offside but for the fact Bailly wasnt paying attention, played him onside and then was ball watching when the ball was crossed to his man at the back post.

The best CB in the world couldnt have done anything about his teammates messing up like that.

A-man

Nope not what you wrote. Sorry if you misinterpreted my post.
Read back through the thread, he’s a very unappreciated player lots of people who really don’t like him playing for United.
I have written two posts about him after the game and both been positive. He had a great game even though I still believe he could have done better at the goal. But if someone should be criticised for that it is Bailly.

Red_toad

He stepped up and played a perfect offside, if he didnt have a lazy rb alongside him
Yeah I don’t get how Smalling could be blamed for it at all, some people are just looking for any little thing to pin on him.
Whatever next blame Dave for not saving every shot as ultimately he is the last line of defence....

A-man

He did do better. He was offside but for the fact Bailly wasnt paying attention, played him onside and then was ball watching when the ball was crossed to his man at the back post.

The best CB in the world couldnt have done anything about his teammates messing up like that.
Honestly I don’t know what you’re arguing about, but I still believe Smalling is able to stop attacks like that. And yes it was Baillys fault, agree.

Red_toad

I have written two posts about him after the game and both been positive. He had a great game even though I still believe he could have done better at the goal. But if someone should be criticised for that it is Bailly.
You still criticised him! Unless he develops ESP with a player he rarely plays with and the ability to match Mbappe for acceleration, I fail to see how he could have done more. Maybe he should have pulled his shirt to show those top fans they were right all along about him...
Sometime people just need to let it go and appreciate a job well done...

arnie_ni

Honestly I don’t know what you’re arguing about, but I still believe Smalling is able to stop attacks like that. And yes it was Baillys fault, agree.
everyone is arguing with you saying he made a mistake on the goal. What did he do wrong?

Ekeke

He did stop that attack. So did Lindelof. They were in a line and played PSG's front players offside.

Bailly had a double brainfart and played them onside and didnt track his man. Playing forwards offside is a way for CBs to deal with attacks, if 2 players get it right and 1 plays the player onside its his mistake not theirs.

A-man

You still criticised him! Unless he develops ESP with a player he rarely plays with and the ability to match Mbappe for acceleration, I fail to see how he could have done more. Maybe he should have pulled his shirt to show those top fans they were right all along about him...
Sometime people just need to let it go and appreciate a job well done...
Come on, I said it was his only mistake. If a CB makes one mistake it is almost the perfect match. And then I explained i the next post that I did not consider it his fault but still consider that he could have done better. Again, do really you think that Smalling is not able to stop attacks like that?

Red_toad

Come on, I said it was his only mistake. If a CB makes one mistake it is almost the perfect match. And then I explained i the next post that I did not consider it his fault but still consider that he could have done better. Again, do really you think that Smalling is not able to stop attacks like that?
He was excellent and I couldn’t ask more from him. That’s all that needs to be said. Nit picking isn’t a good trait, just enjoy the game and move on...

A-man

everyone is arguing with you saying he made a mistake on the goal. What did he do wrong?
I said he could have done better. Same question to you: Do you think that Smalling is not able to stop attacks like that? I believe so, hence I believe he could have done better.

Bailly? His fault but imo that is his level of football. No marking, no offside line awareness and reactive instead of proactive.

Andersons Dietician

Can I ask what is he supposed to do more of in that situation that stops it because in my mind he does everything right, he has spotted what is about to happen and steps up.

A-man

He was excellent and I couldn’t ask more from him. That’s all that needs to be said. Nit picking isn’t a good trait, just enjoy the game and move on...
Funny because you are really nit picking on my comment

A-man

Can I ask what is he supposed to do more of in that situation that stops it because in my mind he does everything right, he has spotted what is about to happen and steps up.
He could have blocked the pass. That would have been “done better”.

Andersons Dietician

He could have blocked the pass. That would have been “done better”.
Ah ok you talking about the 2nd phase of the move. The Mbappe ball across to Bernat, not the pass in to Mbappe, ok I agree with you there, I mean it is nit picking but yeah he is there to cut that pass out just doesn’t manage it.

But if Bailly wasn’t day dreaming then Smalling has already done his job and even then pretty impressive to get back in to the position to even have a chance to cut it out.

A-man

He did stop that attack. So did Lindelof. They were in a line and played PSG's front players offside.

Bailly had a double brainfart and played them onside and didnt track his man. Playing forwards offside is a way for CBs to deal with attacks, if 2 players get it right and 1 plays the player onside its his mistake not theirs.
I agree Bailly screwed the offside. If it was on purpose by Smalling and Lindelof(1 nano second before the pass he was not offside) it was a risky move as there is a big risk someone with no offside awareness would miss it.

Edit: watched it again and there should have been time for Bailly to move in line. Don’t know what the the hell he was thinking because he also lost his man.

A-man

Ah ok you talking about the 2nd phase of the move. The Mbappe ball across to Bernat, not the pass in to Mbappe, ok I agree with you there, I mean it is nit picking but yeah he is there to cut that pass out just doesn’t manage it.
Yes I mean the pass to Bernat. It went very fast and he almost blocked it, think it went between his legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.