Chris Smalling - linked with a move away

redpatron

Did dis dude just put videos of smalling scoring headers? Should of saved them for next week when Kane runs by him for two goals. Don’t worry fellas Sanchez will get a double and martial will save us with a screamer.

Godfather

Did dis dude just put videos of smalling scoring headers? Should of saved them for next week when Kane runs by him for two goals. Don’t worry fellas Sanchez will get a double and martial will save us with a screamer.
That Kane that failed to show up every single time against us?

haram

Goal scoring CBs are always a plus. Smalling's biggest strength is he can score atleast 5 league goals a season, which is a good tally.
It is a plus but he’s a CB so I dont really care that much...

It’s not like he’s Sergio Ramos either.

Axkiko

I wouldn't want us to sign him, as he's not very good on the ball. But, also because he'd cost us £40m+ in this current market, as he'd be a vital player in a mid-table team. Leicester are reportedly quoting £50m for Maguire, so there's nothing to suggest clubs wouldn't command at least £40m for Smalling.
Maguire is better than Smalling.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah sure, any decent CB who can pass the ball is better than Smalling. It's ridiculous CBs are rated on their ability to pass rather than defending. Stones who is rated for his ball playing skills made to look like clown so many times and I don't remember ManUtd conceding goal because of Smalling's poor passes.

Havak

Pokemon master
Goal scoring CBs are always a plus. Smalling's biggest strength is he can score atleast 5 league goals a season, which is a good tally.
I think Smalling is our best defender, and when it comes to winning headers he is by far and away our best player, even more-so than Fellaini. However, to say he can score at least five goals a season is just not true. The most he's ever got in a single season is four. He averages closer to two goals per season. However, this is still far better than the rest of our central defenders who average one or less. Vidic is the only defender in the last 10-15 years to score more goals than Smalling.

Kapardin

It is a plus but he’s a CB so I dont really care that much...

It’s not like he’s Sergio Ramos either.
My point is he is too good to sell to a rival like Arsenal even if he's not wanted by us. Mkhi was a different matter altogether, but I wouldn't like to strengthen Arsenal by selling them a half decent CB.

haram

My point is he is too good to sell to a rival like Arsenal even if he's not wanted by us. Mkhi was a different matter altogether, but I wouldn't like to strengthen Arsenal by selling them a half decent CB.
I didn’t say we should sell him to Arsenal. Someone posted vids of him scoring goals when I said he was a shambles when we won the FA Cup.

Weird comment.
I said he was a shambles in our FA Cup win and someone replies to me with goals he had scored? Had nothing to do with him as a defender.

Bwuk

He's literally never scored 5 goals in all comps, let alone in the league.

I actually agree if he played for someone else we probably wouldn't be interested. He's strong, very athletic but does lack a brain at times.

Both CB's Mourinho has signed have been players that are comfortable in possesion. There isn't another top European side with someone as poor on the ball starting regularly as Smalling.

Bwuk

Sell and pay Umtiti's release clause.
Is it not about £54m for Umtitis release clause? Not saying we'd do it,but if anyone got him for 54m in the current market it'd be a very good deal.

GiddyUp

John O'Shea was exactly like Smalling, 3rd/4th choice when everyone is fit. I don't think he is a good footballer, just an above average defender. I wouldn't mind keeping him but if someone offers north of 35mil I would take it.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Smalling has been linked to Arsenal for 4+ years now :lol:

I guess I just don't see the point in selling him. He's not our best defender but he gets plenty of games due to our injuries. We can't replace him with someone better for the money we'll get for him.

So the question is, do we invest a fee for Smalling and 30m on top of that just to upgrade our CB situation? I think we have more pressing needs in other positions before we do that...

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yup, you'll rarely see him get praised for his defending but always for his skills on the ball. That is wrong when it comes to a CB.
I just hope its Maguire and Stones starting for England at the world cup.

Smalling has quietly had a good season for us,at a club that has had one of the better defensive units in the league over the last number of years.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I actually agree if he played for someone else we probably wouldn't be interested. He's strong, very athletic but does lack a brain at times.

Both CB's Mourinho has signed have been players that are comfortable in possesion. There isn't another top European side with someone as poor on the ball starting regularly as Smalling.
Chiellini? Mertesacker? Then we had Vidic in the past.

If you concern about "brain", there are other CBs in our rank that have been called "brainless" at more times.

Bwuk

Chiellini? Mertesacker? Then we had Vidic in the past.

If you concern about "brain", there are other CBs in our rank that have been called "brainless" at more times.
Chiellini is much better than Smalling ffs. Mertesacker never plays for Arsenal. Monreal is ahead of him at CB. Scraping the barrel a hit there.

Vidic was miles ahead of Smalling.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah sure, any decent CB who can pass the ball is better than Smalling. It's ridiculous CBs are rated on their ability to pass rather than defending. Stones who is rated for his ball playing skills made to look like clown so many times and I don't remember ManUtd conceding goal because of Smalling's poor passes.
Defending is more than goal clearances and hoofing the ball. Otherwise the best defenders every season would be on relegation challenged teams. Being able to pass out of trouble is part of defending.

We looked so useless against City because of our inability to get the ball out the back without hoofing it, which just gave the ball back to them 80% of the time.

diplomat

Defending is more than goal clearances and hoofing the ball. Otherwise the best defenders every season would be on relegation challenged teams. Being able to pass out of trouble is part of defending.
I agree with this point completely and would like to add that it is not only due to low technical skills, but also lack of composure in difficult situations. Smalling is a reactionary and a very panicky defender as well, so under pressure, he tends to crumble, in my opinion.

Speed and height can mask these glaring weaknesses, however I fear a top team, especially in attack, will easily expose that and I feel that is why we play so defensive against the likes of Liverpool and City.

Craig Bellendy

Wouldnt lose any sleep if im honest.Baily and jones will be our central partnership once baily is fit again smalling is ok for cover but not good enough to be 1st team

King.of.Red

Dude, Smalling always put Kane in his pocket each time we meet spurs.

Loublaze

ATLien
Absolute rubbish dude. Smalling has had Kane in his pocket many times. Kane has only scored once against United. ONCE

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Keane was also better than Smalling 6 months ago
This is it exactly. Every fecker who wins a couple of tackles is better than Smalling according to some of you lot. Until they fade back into the crowd. Show me the centre-back who doesn't occasionally feck up. He's no Rolls Royce but he's a consistently solid defender. People seem to think these are 10 a penny but they are thin on the ground. Selling him would be moronic.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We looked so useless against City because of our inability to get the ball out the back without hoofing it, which just gave the ball back to them 80% of the time.
Passing out of trouble doesn't depend on CB ball playing skills alone, it depends on coach and how he sets up the team, also his teammates and how they help by positioning correctly.

Jose said last season that team ignored his instruction when he asked them to go for direct passing and look for second ball against city.