Chris Smalling to Newcastle?

davidmichael

https://www.skysports.com/share/12049968

Personally I’d keep him as unlike everyone else bar Maguire and Lindelof he’s fit the majority of the time and an experienced international with lots of Champions League experience and now full of confidence on the back of a great season at Roma.

Seen him linked with Inter for £23 million a lot lately too so I think if we get a bid of around that we’ll accept it, just pray Bailly and Tuanzebe can stay fit next season and Mengi kicks on if we sell Smalling.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Would be a great signing for anyone outside of the top 4 tbh. I'd be surprised if only Newcastle were interested in him.

Bojan11

Surely Smalling could do better than that. I know he is limited in passing, but he’s better than anything Everton or even West Ham have.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think this will happen. He will hold out for the Roma/an Italian team.

His last tweet was a week ago which was a photo of him and his family in Italy. I think they’re pretty settled there.

No Love

Newcastle were linked with Jonah recently too, if I remember correctly. Incredible scenes if Brucey pulls off a double swoop for them.

As for the link, I think he would be a cracking signing for Newcastle. However, if I were him, I’d hold out. I think bigger clubs will come in for him, particularly those in Italy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Newcastle don't have that kind of money surely? I'm hoping for him that he joins a top Italian club, much nicer way to see out your career, but we can definitely use the cash.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I'm not one of the "bring Smalling back to United" crew but he can do significantly better than Newcastle.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Surely Smalling could do better than that. I know he is limited in passing, but he’s better than anything Everton or even West Ham have.
He's also 30. I think our plan is to go for Holgate + young CB in the mould of Gabriel OR older CB if they are an elite player. I don't think Smalling cuts it for us in that regard but I could be wrong.

I really rate Smalling and would go for him if I was in charge of Everton but I'd be surprised if we did.

E-mal

He is a terrific defender who had his best years under LVG despite been poor on the ball. If only he had even the technical ability of Lindelof.
Perhaps we need to let him go and bring in a Dayot Upemecano.

Nickosaur

Get the feeling we could charge £25m from English clubs. Whereas Roma seem to be particularly tight.

King Andow

Cash in now, Smalling being a good defender is a big myth. Arrivederci, bye, tchau tchau. Sign someone and we're good.

GMoore23

We shouldn't let him go unless we're bringing someone new in. Easily our 3rd best cb and possibly 2nd best, plus, Bailly, Tuanzebe and Jones are all made of glass.
If we do decide to let him go, Arsenal should go all out for him, He's much better than Newcastle. Arteta will probably snub him though before getting sacked mid season.

RUCK4444

I hope he gets a move and continues to prove the ‘experts’ in here wrong.

Quality defender. We should bring him back for at least one season if we do take the plunge and spend our budget on Sancho.

stu_1992

Would he go there? From living in Rome to Newcastle. Quite a step down. I know Manchester isn't Rome either but he's at least playing at a team near the top end of the table. He could definitely do better. And I'm still not against keeping him tbh.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not a fan of his but he can do better than Newcastle. Inter could do with him perhaps , Roma definitely can but not sure if they have the money

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If someone in England ponies up a proper 2020 type fee, than it makes great sense to sell here.

Screw letting tightwad Italian teams try and take him for biscuits.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not one of the "bring Smalling back to United" crew but he can do significantly better than Newcastle.
A 60,000 stadium with adoring fans and mid table Prem team?

Who higher than them will come in?

Irrational.

Weren't Arse interested in him a while back? Surely he's an upgrade on Luiz, Mustafi, Holding, Sokratis and Chambers. He might be a good CB partner for the incoming Saliba.

-Supreme-

I hope he gets a move and continues to prove the ‘experts’ in here wrong.

Quality defender. We should bring him back for at least one season if we do take the plunge and spend our budget on Sancho.
You mean the same experts that none of the European major clubs are interested in him, including our current manager and coaches?

You mean the same experts that none of the European major clubs are interested in him, including our current manager and coaches?
I’m convinced everyone at Utd rates him above Bailly, Rojo and Jones, but we needed to shift at least one from the wage bill last year, and the only one that anyone would take was Smalling.

izec

fecking hell, he is massively overrated. Looking at the comments in here, you would think they are signing Van Dijk, bar the shit on the ball description.

Get rid

fecking hell, he is massively overrated. Looking at the comments in here, you would think they are signing Van Dijk, bar the shit on the ball description.

Get rid
He’s not overrated, he’s just rated. Would be a starter at most PL clubs, just not those in the CL.

-Supreme-

I’m convinced everyone at Utd rates him above Bailly, Rojo and Jones, but we needed to shift at least one from the wage bill last year, and the only one that anyone would take was Smalling.
The point here is that many don't think Smalling is good enough for the starting XI, including our manager and coaches - this is a fact.

The way that people rave about him you'd think he should be compared to other top CBs and not the likes of Rojo and Jones.