Christian Eriksen - Contract till 2020

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
BT asked Eriksen if he feels contract negotiations are leading to less minutes at Tottenham, and he said: “You must ask the coach about that. I don’t know that.”

With just over 18 months left on his current deal, one of Mauricio Pochettino’s star men does not feel that his future at the north London club is under any sort of threat.

“I have not felt that they would throw me out yet [says with a big smile]. It’s a business for the club, but it’s not something I’ve thought about,” the Dane explained.
Good chance he might leave Spurs? He has only 18 months left on contract and he will be 27 before the end of season.

deafepl

This is the only way we can get Eriksen if Poch joins us next season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They have a habit of sidelining players when contract talks don't go as planned.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Would be glad to have him at United but as long as he fit an actual plan, we have too many square pegs in round holes

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
The player we need to be a complete team capable of challenging City. Hope we make a bid. Think 60m or so should do it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I like him. I'm not sure he's been at his very best this season but if there's a chance he moves in the next few windows we need to be in the mix. An actual creative player, who can take an actual fecking corner, is sorely needed at our club.

ROFLUTION

As good a player as he is at times, he wouldn't fit in a midfield with Pogba and he shouldn't play on the right. So basically another square peg, round hole signing, for those suggesting it.
Not sure I agree. We badly need this Silva type that can make us click and play direct/fast against smaller teams. Mou will probably not be here next summer, so we should find players that makes life easier for a new manager and the style we want to play long term. Look at how few chances we have created lately. But he needs a cleaner or two behind him as he never tackles himself.

ROFLUTION

More like huge upgrade on Mata. Think one of the Spanish big 2 will sign him.
I agree. He's perfect for one of them and has long wanted Barca who didnt want to pay the big price, which is probably why he hasnt renewed.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Would be glad to have him at United but as long as he fit an actual plan, we have too many square pegs in round holes
As good a player as he is at times, he wouldn't fit in a midfield with Pogba and he shouldn't play on the right. So basically another square peg, round hole signing, for those suggesting it.
This is a concern, that we go for a player just because he's good with no regard of how he fits us, or worse simply to keep him from moving to a rival like many suspect we did with Sanchez. However he's lined up this season with the likes of Alli and Lucas Moura, players you wouldn't expect to drop deep to help defensively, and can play deeper himself near a sitting midfielder. It could be he doesn't start big games with Pogba, but big money for merely an option isn't a big deal any more, and he's possibly a little more versatile than he gets credit for.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Oh, how perfect he would be be us. Exactly the type of player we need and an absolute work horse so could easily adapt to Klopp’s requirements.

MUfreak

He could play the No. 10 role, actually better than anybody we've fielded there, and can also play RW/RM ala Fletcher style, still will be better than your Lingard and Mata.

So I say we get him I think he'd be a great upgrade on our right side.

Last edited by a moderator:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very good footballer. Solid engine and an excellent passer. We need more players like him who you can rely on to play with intelligence and pin-point precision in their passing. Pogba gives us the flair so ideally we'd want a controlling gifted passer next to him.

I don't think we'll be signing him though.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Good chance he might leave Spurs? He has only 18 months left on contract and he will be 27 before the end of season.
I wouldn't say his contract situation is leading to less minutes, he has been injured and rotated after his injury, same as Alli who just signed a new deal and also was injured.

Having said that I don't like that his contract is running down and no doubt that we have already offered a new deal, most likely around 150k (pure speculation on my part, but would be the same as Alli). Personally I think this will end one of two ways, either he signs a deal in line with Kane on 200k or he leaves in the summer, most likely to Barca.

Zlatattack

I don't really understand where Eriksen would fit in, if we did try to sign him.

I've always thought of him as a 10, or a very attacking central midfielder. If we switched to a formation with a man behind the striker, that would be him. If we played him in a midfield three, would having him and Pogba in the same side make us defensively suspect?

Could he fit in at RW? Has he played there before? I've not considered him a wide player.

Can some of you Spurs guys please clarify.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Big Dave
Double D - Toby - Koulibaly - Shaw
Neves - Pogba
Sancho - Eriksen - Martal
Kane​

Could potentially challenge for the title with this :drool:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Oh, how perfect he would be be us. Exactly the type of player we need and an absolute work horse so could easily adapt to Klopp’s requirements.
If I remember correctly Klopp looked at him back in his Dortmund days. I remember thinking Eriksen would be a perfect fit for that Dortmund team.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I don't really understand where Eriksen would fit in, if we did try to sign him.

I've always thought of him as a 10, or a very attacking central midfielder. If we switched to a formation with a man behind the striker, that would be him. If we played him in a midfield three, would having him and Pogba in the same side make us defensively suspect?

Could he fit in at RW? Has he played there before? I've not considered him a wide player.

He usually plays off the right hand side, although our front players do change positions quite often. He is also a very hard worker who covers lots of distance and works hard defensively, and imo if Pogba can't play with Eriksen that says more about Pogba.

Signing Eriksen would make too much sense for United, so you probably won't try :D. Although I doubt he would be available to United anyway, if he leaves I'll be surprised if its to an English club.

Trizy

This.

What formation will our next manager play?

What if he likes a 433, Where would Eriksen play? He seems to be his best at at a CAM, would he even be able play a midfield 3? So many questions should be asked over every future transfer given the state of our signings the past 5 years.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
If I remember correctly Klopp looked at him back in his Dortmund days. I remember thinking Eriksen would be a perfect fit for that Dortmund team.
He certainly fits the bill for a player in a Klopp side. I mean with him running a marathon every game and being so good friends with the ball. Don’t see it happening, but one can dream.

CM

Excellent player capable of playing at a level above Spurs who have looked a bit stagnant this season. If he's ever going to make a big move, these next few months are the time to do it.

Bwuk

Yes please. Eriksen & Pogba running the midfield would be tremendous.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob

Yes. Unless we get better defenders and rethink how we play football. It wouldn't be any more defensively suspect than City's setup. They have Fernandinho + 2 Silvas.

Oldyella

This. If we go for him, it needs to be to play in the hole. Signing him to play on the right instead of Mata would be a waste.

Siorac

Why wouldn't he? I mean, if City can make the two Silvas or Silva and De Bruyne work then I don't see why we couldn't. Would need a better DM than Matic but we will need that anyway.

I don't think he'd come here though, probably one of the Spanish big two will snap him up.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
They were. At the same time we were in advanced negotiations to sign mkhitaryan. Then Dortmund swooped in and opted for mkhitaryan instead of Eriksen and we went for.... Luis Alberto whilst Eriksen went to spurs for a few million more than we paid for Alberto.

:rolleyes:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Unfortunately for us, a move to United (from his perspective) is pretty sideways.
We're not challenging for top honours, and we'll only be attractive if he's motivated by money.

If he leaves Spurs, Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc will all be interested, what can we do to tempt him, that doesn't involve money?
The promise of a rebuild project? He's been doing that at Spurs & can get that at Dortmund or even (shudder) Liverpool.

We're falling desperately behind.

deafepl

Big Dave
Double D - Toby - Koulibaly - Shaw
Neves - Pogba
Sancho - Eriksen - Martal
Kane​

Could potentially challenge for the title with this :drool:
Hypothetical if Poch joined us next season, Neves is not really Poch player, more like De Jong that fit Poch's profile of DM because of his versatile position that allows Poch tactic to be switching from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3, Bailly is in for Koulibally as he admired Bailly, Bailly and Sanchez are both very similar. I'd rather it to be Greenwoods than Sancho on the right flank, if not young, we will sign a top class right winger with experience in top flight. I can imagine in his first season - he'll buy Eriksen for 70-100m, De Jong for 50m, wingers 50-70m, Toby 25m. expecting 50m+ of player sales incoming out.

First season with Poch as the head of the coach

De Gea
Dalot - Bailly - Toby - Shaw
De Jong
Eriksen - Pogba
RW Sanchez/Lukaku Martial
in Poch's second transfer window summer, we'll have to sell Lukaku to fund the marquee signing the likes of Kane - range price of 150-200m and perhaps some signing for depth on the bench.

So Poch can finally have his dream team. I expect Eriksen to be the KDB who have a high work rate and Pogba for the advanced midfielder, both feed attacking player chances and attempt a more long shot, with De Jong dictating play and control the tempo of football and going at 3 back allowing fullbacks to be overlapping and further when attacking, so too much creativity and more goal/assist from the midfield.

Brophs

The One and Only
So is this apparent lack of minutes the same sort of thing as when they stopped playing Alderweireld? Earlier in the season there was some stories that he has a chronic injury, albeit that seems to have been lost in translation. If it is a contract issue, is that down to Pochettino, or is it a club policy?

Johan07

Why wouldn't he? I mean, if City can make the two Silvas or Silva and De Bruyne work then I don't see why we couldn't. Would need a better DM than Matic but we will need that anyway.

I don't think he'd come here though, probably one of the Spanish big two will snap him up.
Because we dont play anything near the same kind of football as City. I dont see why people are comparing us to City when we play out from two completely different "philosophies" (yeah, I know).
Eriksen would replace Mata/Lingard as RW under Mourinho. Even if we switched to a double pivot I am not sure that Mourinho would even entertain Eriksen as his #10. It would still be RW for him, where is where he plays under Poch a lot as well. Though in a much more offensive setup.
There is no way Mourinho would play Eriksen as a #8 and again: we dont play anything close to the system/philosophy that City does. If Pep gets his hands on Eriksen he would be the ultimate long-term replacement for David Silva though. Dear God, please let that not happen.....

Siorac

Because we dont play anything near the same kind of football as City. I dont see why people are comparing us to City when we play out from two completely different "philosophies" (yeah, I know).
Eriksen would replace Mata/Lingard as RW under Mourinho. Even if we switched to a double pivot I am not sure that Mourinho would even entertain Eriksen as his #10. It would still be RW for him, where is where he plays under Poch a lot as well. Though in a much more offensive setup.
There is no way Mourinho would play Eriksen as a #8 and again: we dont play anything close to the system/philosophy that City does. If Pep gets his hands on Eriksen he would be the ultimate long-term replacement for David Silva though. Dear God, please let that not happen.....
Yeah, I was operating under the assumption that any Eriksen transfer would happen next summer and Mourinho would be gone by then, replaced by a manager who would play that sort of team.