Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

It's all good being nostalgic or burying your head in the sand, but alot of the new generation player couldn't give a shit about history or past glory, or kids wearing a United shirt on the other side of the planet, (which you see as many Barca, Real and Liverpool shirts anyway, I also travel) As a player do you want to spend the best part of your career in a neverending United rebuild, or join City/Liverpool/PSG/Real/Barca/Juve and challenge for the top trophies season after season.
Says the same about some fans too....and we wonder why people hate us and the media dine out on our failings.

tomaldinho1

You mean this isn't the first one? There have been previous transfer windows? I am stunned.

Are you suggesting that United have in fact not pursued Dybala and Eriksen over the last few days only to brief the press that they've withdrawn due to the players not wanting to join the club?

United are desperate for quality in midfield. If they are now "pushing their luck" pursuing non targets, that shows their management of this window in an even worse light.

It also shows some fantastic connections if they really did hear "he was open to a move" only to pull out because he was not open to a move.
What a bizarre response. It's clear Ole's original target was Longstaff - that seems pretty dead. We will no doubt have spoken to and enquired about literally dozens of CMS of which the press will pick up smatterings and focus on the most sensational - let's also not forget it was reported we're v close to Savic but he's nowhere near as well known/hyped as a Dybala or Eriksen so that's fallen by the wayside despite being very recent.

Now we are getting to crunch time, and this is something I think is a good thing that all clubs do, agents will be desperate to shift players who are open to moving. If someone of the calibre of Eriksen pops up as potentially available, it would be a disservice not to explore what he wants and if it's a possibility. Just because a club finds out a player's demands, doesn't mean they want them. I don't see this as negative in any way.

On your last point, it's not only wrong but that's about as noncommercial as a mindset as it's possible to have. He is open to a move, he's openly said so - if that's not to United it's irrelevant, he is 100% open. If a manager likes Eriksen (and I bet there are many sniffing around him right now given the situation) their club will be making enquiries. If the player isn't keen on the club, they've at least covered that off.

Sp00ks11

Says the same about some fans too....and we wonder why people hate us and the media dine out on our failings.
:lol: We are no longer hated, we were hated when we kept winning everything.

The media dine on our failings as we have fallen so far so quickly, and the once 'noisy neighbors' highlight that most expenentionally.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's all good being nostalgic or burying your head in the sand, but alot of the new generation player couldn't give a shit about history or past glory, or kids wearing a United shirt on the other side of the planet, (which you see as many Barca, Real and Liverpool shirts anyway, I also travel) As a player do you want to spend the best part of your career in a neverending United rebuild, or join City/Liverpool/PSG/Real/Barca/Juve and challenge for the top trophies season after season.

The media dine on our failings as we have fallen so far so quickly, and the once 'noisy neighbors' highlight that most expenentionally.
You're a bundle of joy aren't you.

Litch

So to those 8 or so people who quoted my previous question.. as you have seen it looks like Eriksen doesn't want to leave Spurs for United.

I don't enjoy United being shite I am just being realistic when it comes to our signings. I keep on saying it in almost every unrealistic transfer thread this summer (De Light, Dybala, Eriksen)

WE CAN NO LONGER SHOP FOR THE TOP PLAYERS.

That's not a dig it is just a fact. We currently have in my opinion just 2 players who the world's elite clubs would take De Gea and Pogba, one openly wants out and the other will not sign a new contract.

A couple more summers of decent recruitment like this one and I believe we will be back up there challenging.
The transfer window is coming to a close, do you believe we were linked with all those players? If we were not, what are you choosing to believe based on what? Not saying that we weren't going for them but Juve might not get Rom, Real won't get Pogs and Dybala won't go to Spurs. Are you saying that Juve, Real or Spurs can't too? Neymar wants to leave PSG?

How many players have Liverpool got that are elite? Goalkeeper, CB, None in midfield, Salah? They have 3 imo? The rest wouldn't improve what elite clubs already have.

Agree though bit of patience and we'll be competitive again....

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
32 years, you should know better then. What mess is that then? Not winning?
The club is created to make money. People accept that but when a club makes money, selling out then why should it became a business before a football club. Our business is football. The supporters are the most important thing and so it's not a sense of entitlement. It's the fact, we have parasitic owners who are hampering us while whoring us out to every Tom Dick and Harry. Nothing new there but they are not football people and they don't care and as a result they are undermining our history because of their greed. They are hurting what people have worked hard to build. We've spent money but we are playing catch up continually and they don't seem to have options in the market. We really don't seem to know what we're doing. We took at age with Maguire say...but did we even save anything after all that posturing? They've no clue.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Hahaha. Yeah you are right it looked totally planned..:lol:
The 3 players we brought in were definitely planned. After that, I think it was a cause of see how the market unfolds and make a move if we fancy it. Shocking really.

AJ10

Surely you check whether your targets are even interested in coming before the last few days of the window? It's a shambles.
So no to my question or ignoring it?

What are you on about? just like any other club, you make a approach then the player decides if his club is willing to sell.

NJM78

Surely you check whether your targets are even interested in coming before the last few days of the window? It's a shambles.
It's probably be mentioned many times but who the hell were those players Ole alluded to when discussing the amount of players wanting to join us?

Foxbatt

For sure it is a great disappointment in that we did not get a midfield player. I could live without a striker for this season but we need a new midfield player and it is a great disappointment.

arthurka

The 3 players we brought in were definitely planned. After that, I think it was a cause of see how the market unfolds and make a move if we fancy it. Shocking really.
One is a a chance player that could or couldnt make it. Other two should have been bought seasons ago. The rest was for show, we had 100m to spend now watch us sell Lukaku and have net spend of 65m or around what we did last summer.. Notice a pattern.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's probably be mentioned many times but who the hell were those players Ole eldued to when discussing the amount of players wanting to join us?
Anyone who was prepared to join the sinking ship that is Man United I would imagine. Only three were found by all accounts.

Sparky Rhiwabon

So no to my question or ignoring it?

What are you on about? just like any other club, you make a approach then the player decides if his club is willing to sell.
They may well be similar players but that still doesn't mean we've planned well. Yes to what you're saying but NOT in the last few days of the window. That is a shambles.

Litch

Each to their own, just can't take that mindset going into the new season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So as a Utd fan you think players who aren't even wanted by their own club than one of the biggest clubs in the world? Six seasons defines us a club? Was Klopp and Pep ready made or did Dortmund and Barca take a chance too? It's amazing how not wining football matches creates problems that evening when winning we're still there anyway. Sadly the only recurring theme on here is fans that struggle to understand that no team dominants their respective sport and those who and their fans have waited two decades to win stuff. Liverpool are still waiting to win the Prem and Spurs too. Juve, Milan, Bayern, Barca, Ajax aren't dominating CL as they did at some point.

No one has the monopoly or god given right to win all of the time and neither do we.
You've gone way askew off my point. Who is saying we have a god given right to win? My point is that if you're not winning you don't have a god given right to the best players.

Players looking to move right now, who have a lot of CL standard clubs to choose from, will often choose the one they most likely to bring them success. Currently there are several CL standard clubs who appear to be in a better position to do that. Which means a lot of players will choose different, historically smaller clubs over us.

Maybe some players are more concerned about history and would choose us. Maybe some players are more concerned about money and would choose us. But if a player is concerned about winning things in the short to medium term then they are unlikley to choose us, for sound reason.

The last six years are far more relevant in that regard because the problems of the last six years have shown zero evidence of dissapearing.

Devil may care

32 years, you should know better then. What mess is that then? Not winning?
Not even having enough to get top 4, having a team clearly full of holes and having a whole summer to fix them without doing so, that's a mess. Going into a season with Martial and Rashford has your hope for goals is crazy, we lacked creativity outside of Pogba last season and have added no one creative to the side either, on top of that the repeated logline from the club is the corny "Only wanting players that'll die for the badge" stuff, yet we are keeping Pogba who clearly wants to be gone, it's a shit show operation.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You're probably not wrong here. After chasing (allegedly) Dybala, Fernandes and then Eriksen, you'd have to question Ed's methods. It looks as though he was after anyone that made themselves available, without considering the teams best interests.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
By the future I don't mean 5 or 6 years. We are already better than Tottenham now and we will challenge this year. We might not win it, but we are definitely on the up. Tottenham? Not even close...
You cant seriously believe that. Totttenham have a better squad than us right now. Challenge this year? no way. If we had added one of Dybala Eriksen or Bruno as well as replacing Lukaku with another striker that can score goals yes absolutely, but with Maquire AWB James in and Fellaini Herrera Lukaku out not even close.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You're probably not wrong here. After chasing (allegedly) Dybala, Fernandes and then Eriksen, you'd have to question Ed's methods. It looks as though he was after anyone that made themselves available, without considering the teams best interests.
What I'm annoyed about the most is the length of time it's taken to secure deals. Take Maguire, we knew what Leicester wanted but kept coming back at them with different variations of a few that amounted to 70m(ish). Pay the money ffs, cause you clearly was going to do that all along

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You cant seriously believe that. Totttenham have a better squad than us right now. Challenge this year? no way. If we had added one of Dybala Eriksen or Bruno as well as replacing Lukaku with another striker that can score goals yes absolutely, but with Maquire AWB James in and Fellaini Herrera Lukaku out not even close.
I do agree in General but those three out surely shouldn't be used as a sign of issuss.
Most people thought lukaku and fellaini were garbage.
And herrera had 5 seasons here and only really one standout year and bits and pieces on other years.

Name Changed

weso26
I do agree in General but those three out surely shouldn't be used as a sign of issuss.
Most people thought lukaku and fellaini were garbage.
And herrera had 5 seasons here and only really one standout year and bits and pieces on other years.
Herrera was easily our second best midfielder. He will be a huge loss. Lukaku was our top scorer. He will also be a huge loss. That's if neither are replaced.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
By the future I don't mean 5 or 6 years. We are already better than Tottenham now and we will challenge this year. We might not win it, but we are definitely on the up. Tottenham? Not even close...
I'm sorry. What exactly is it that you think we'll be challenging for?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I for one am grateful to Eriksen for putting us out of our misery in good time...

Lord knows Woodward would want to drag this out and make it look like it was anything other than a display.

lysglimt

Scout
I've supported United for 32 years, it doesn't make me blind to the reality of the absolute mess we are in.
It certainly isn't perfect - but to call it an absolute mess is a bit harsh. If you had said that 9 months ago, I would have agreed with you. But the situation has improved so much in 9 months, it isn't even in the same League.

We could have lost Jones, McTominay, Rashford, DeGea, Rashford, Pereira and Mata for free either this summer or next (and yes I know some of you don't care about jones and Mata). Would AWB and Maguire have signed unless OGS to a certain degree steadied the ship ? Doubtful!

If we had managed to sign a quality midfielder - no one would be talking about a mess.

We have probably the youngest team in the P.L - and I am willing to claim that we have the biggest talents. Even if OGS makes a complete mess and the results are poor - how difficult do you think it will be to attract a manager with these youngsters in the squad: Shaw, AWB, Garner, Gomes, Jones, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Chong, Tuanzebe, Pereira, McTominay, Henderson....what a dream to take over a club with those talented players.

Mess ? We have problems - but we are not in a mess

Siorac

It's concerning that posters here focus so much on where a player is from. Nationality should be irrelevant. It quite obviously is to the management at United.
Well, there are those pesky homegrown quotas. While they are not about nationality per se, British players are far more likely to fit the criteria, for obvious reasons.

Name Changed

weso26
We are not better than Tottenham. Do you realise that they finished two places ahead of us in the league and got to a Champions League final? They are in the Champions League, we are not.

What are we going to be challenging for as a matter of interest?

Foxbatt

Any idiot apart from Woodard would know that we need better players to make it to the CL spots. Only an imbecile like him cannot understand it. We let go of two midfield players and who generally had played a part in the first eleven and yet we did not even replace them with anyone. Yes we can say that Fellaini and Herrera are not good enough so be it but at least then we should have got better players to replace them. At least with Hererra he has gone to a club who will win the La Ligue and play in the CL for sure. And we let go of him for a free.
God knows where Sanchez our highest paid player is and what on Earth is Lukaku doing now. If we term incompetence then we should add Woodward to it. I hope the Oxford dictionary adds Woodward to it as incompetence.

el3mel

That's the reality that any non delusional will get it. 2 or 3 years ago players would have though it was just few odd years and we will be back soon under a known manager so they took their chances. Now we are 6 years of being shite, a project that no one knows how it will go, under a very unknown manager that no one can guess if he will succeed or not or what even his playstyle is, and we showed for 6 years we can't guarantee the bare minimum of top 4 to any incoming player.

It has become obvious it's not just some few poor years and we would back soon but that United is in a dire state and not worth risking their career when they are at their prime and want to win trophies.

Who will join us will be either British, a mercenary for money or someone in deep love for the club. Otherwise, people deluding themselves if they are slaughtering a player for refusing us.

Mainoldo

We are not better than Tottenham. Do you realise that they finished two places ahead of us in the league and got to a Champions League final? They are in the Champions League, we are not.

What are we going to be challenging for as a matter of interest?
Did you witness how they finished. Was hardly amazing. I’d have us finishing higher than them if Eriksen was up for them switcih.

Gandalf

Any idiot apart from Woodard would know that we need better players to make it to the CL spots. Only an imbecile like him cannot understand it. We let go of two midfield players and who generally had played a part in the first eleven and yet we did not even replace them with anyone. Yes we can say that Fellaini and Herrera are not good enough so be it but at least then we should have got better players to replace them. At least with Hererra he has gone to a club who will win the La Ligue and play in the CL for sure. And we let go of him for a free.
God knows where Sanchez our highest paid player is and what on Earth is Lukaku doing now. If we term incompetence then we should add Woodward to it. I hope the Oxford dictionary adds Woodward to it as incompetence.
I just found out that Paris is in Spain :lol:

Jezpeza

Not even having enough to get top 4, having a team clearly full of holes and having a whole summer to fix them without doing so, that's a mess. Going into a season with Martial and Rashford has your hope for goals is crazy, we lacked creativity outside of Pogba last season and have added no one creative to the side either, on top of that the repeated logline from the club is the corny "Only wanting players that'll die for the badge" stuff, yet we are keeping Pogba who clearly wants to be gone, it's a shit show operation.
I think there are obvious holes - no creativity in midfield bar pogba, and a right winger and probably a holding midfielder. I take encouragement from us signing the cb and rb we've needed since forever. We were never going to challenge next season and theres a limit to how much we can do in one summer but its pretty pathetic if we dont get at least one more position filled and still leaves it touch and go if we make the UCL again. I do actually think rashford can score through the middle if theres someone down the right. Mata and lingard seem to drift infield so the opposition rb can tuck in and then their midfield can crowd out our attacks piece of piss. So easy to defend against, especially when martial likes to cut inside and narrow us even more

Status
Not open for further replies.