Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

The club is created to make money. People accept that but when a club makes money, selling out then why should it became a business before a football club. Our business is football. The supporters are the most important thing and so it's not a sense of entitlement. It's the fact, we have parasitic owners who are hampering us while whoring us out to every Tom Dick and Harry. Nothing new there but they are not football people and they don't care and as a result they are undermining our history because of their greed. They are hurting what people have worked hard to build. We've spent money but we are playing catch up continually and they don't seem to have options in the market. We really don't seem to know what we're doing. We took at age with Maguire say...but did we even save anything after all that posturing? They've no clue.
Would your view look any different if we were winning, I'm suggesting it would? I think if you spoke to most fans, they might feel the same if they are losing too. That said, you and I know even when we were wining, people still were negative.
I think transfers are more complex than they ever have been especially when the clubs and players don't need the money.....

Dante

Average bang
Well, there are those pesky homegrown quotas. While they are not about nationality per se, British players are far more likely to fit the criteria, for obvious reasons.
Meeting our homegrown quota is not even remotely an issue.

If Mejbri, Eriksen, De Ligt and Dybala had all agreed to join us, but AWB, Maguire and James had declined, would we still be Brexit FC? Those deals were down to the players agreeing/disagreeing. The club wanted all of them.

Siorac

Meeting our homegrown quota is not even remotely an issue.

If Mejbri, Eriksen, De Ligt and Dybala had all agreed to join us, but AWB, Maguire and James had declined, would we still be Brexit FC? Those deals were down to the players agreeing/disagreeing. The club wanted all of them.
I'm not saying we're Brexit FC, I'm saying nationality cannot be completely irrelevant as long as the quotas are in place.

I'm not actually sure how the current squad does in this regard.

Devil may care

It certainly isn't perfect - but to call it an absolute mess is a bit harsh. If you had said that 9 months ago, I would have agreed with you. But the situation has improved so much in 9 months, it isn't even in the same League.

We could have lost Jones, McTominay, Rashford, DeGea, Rashford, Pereira and Mata for free either this summer or next (and yes I know some of you don't care about jones and Mata). Would AWB and Maguire have signed unless OGS to a certain degree steadied the ship ? Doubtful!

If we had managed to sign a quality midfielder - no one would be talking about a mess.

We have probably the youngest team in the P.L - and I am willing to claim that we have the biggest talents. Even if OGS makes a complete mess and the results are poor - how difficult do you think it will be to attract a manager with these youngsters in the squad: Shaw, AWB, Garner, Gomes, Jones, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford, Chong, Tuanzebe, Pereira, McTominay, Henderson....what a dream to take over a club with those talented players.

Mess ? We have problems - but we are not in a mess
I stand by my view that it's a mess, Greenwood and Gomes have some potential but that's all it is right now, McTominay is a squad player at best, Jones and Mata are a waste of time, Rashford and Martial have let us down over and over, Pereira isn't good enough and AWB can only do half the job of a modrern fullback at the moment, much like Shaw, they both need to improve the attacking side of their game.

Signing one CM wouldn't be enough to change things dramatically, we are using 4-2-3-1, that's Pogba in a 2 which has failed over and over, and Matic is finished, we needed two CM's. We also needed a #10 and a RW in the system Ole is using, the idea I'm sure you are going to reply with is Greenwood at RW and Gomes at #10, IMO that is fantasy land, if we tried it, it wouldn't work because they aren't ready, secondly Ole wont do that anyway, most weeks it will be Mata and Lingard starting, neither of whom are anywhere near good enough, and that's before we get to the fact I simply don't trust Martial or Rashford anymore, I think our attack and midfield is a shambles.

Halftrack

Ole would never say: Hvordan har du det ? That is bokmål (from old Danish)- as a general rule spoken around Oslo...Mats Dahlie, Josh King, Ronny Johnsen or Henning Berg could have said that. Solskjær, Erik Nevland, Brede Hangeland, Tore Andre Flo to name some - all come from the west of Norway where they would never say "hvordan". :)
I mean, obviously, but I tried to keep it basic. Diving into Norwegian dialects is a whole nother kettle of fesk.

Devil may care

I think there are obvious holes - no creativity in midfield bar pogba, and a right winger and probably a holding midfielder. I take encouragement from us signing the cb and rb we've needed since forever. We were never going to challenge next season and theres a limit to how much we can do in one summer but its pretty pathetic if we dont get at least one more position filled and still leaves it touch and go if we make the UCL again. I do actually think rashford can score through the middle if theres someone down the right. Mata and lingard seem to drift infield so the opposition rb can tuck in and then their midfield can crowd out our attacks piece of piss. So easy to defend against, especially when martial likes to cut inside and narrow us even more
Personally I have lost faith in Rashford and Martial, they've dropped us in way too often and both of their attitudes are questionable. We bought a RB and CB that are improvements I agree, but the RB can't attack and I am not sure we have the CB to partner Maguire, Ole is playing a high line and Maguire isn't very agile or quick and neither is Lindelof quick, when you use a high line usually at least one of your CB's needs to have recovery pace. I agree we were never going to compete for any major trophies this season, but with a midfield 2 of Pogba and either Matic or McTominay, and a front 4 of Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Mata, I'm doubtful we'll even compete for top 4..

Gandalf

Personally I have lost faith in Rashford and Martial, they've dropped us in way too often and both of their attitudes are questionable. We bought a RB and CB that are improvements I agree, but the RB can't attack and I am not sure we have the CB to partner Maguire, Ole is playing a high line and Maguire isn't very agile or quick and neither is Lindelof quick, when you use a high line usually at least one of your CB's needs to have recovery pace. I agree we were never going to compete for any major trophies this season, but with a midfield 2 of Pogba and either Matic or McTominay, and a front 4 of Rashford, Martial, Lingard and Mata, I'm doubtful we'll even compete for top 4..
I would say from his performances for us so far that this is not correct. AWB has been in very advanced positions, dribbling and taking on defenders and linking up with the forwards. I have not seen him get to the byline and whip crosses in so that is something he could add to his game but with his pace and technical ability I don't see why he couldn't learn, especially as he is young and still developing.

I do agree with the midfield/attacking concerns. With Ole preferring a 4-2-3-1 formation we either need a creative attacking midfielder to play in front of the pivot of Pogba/McTominay or failing that we need an out and out goalscorer up top who we can rely on for 20+ goals and I don't see either happening at this point.

manuchamp88

It's not that far off, but it'd be more like:
Ole: Hei Christian, hvordan har du det? (the literal translation is correct, though I prefer "hvordan går det?", literally "how goes it?" but used like "how's it going?")
Eriksen: *sounding like he has a potato lodged in his throat* Fint, tak. Hva med dig? ("Good, thanks. How about you?", or literally "Good, thanks. What with you?" No one returns the question in full, that's just silly. You can also insert more commas, the Danes love 'em. A proper Dane would probably manage to cram four or five into those two short sentences.)
Ole: Joda, bare bra. ("Yeah, I'm good", or literally "yeah, just good/well/fine.")
More like this:
Ole: Vil du spille for oss?
Christian: Sikker.
Ole: Bra...vente. Hvem foretrekker du? Oss eller Real Madrid?
Christian: Jeg må indrømme, at Madrid er tiltalende, men jeg er glad for at ...
Ole: TILBUD ER AVBRYTT. DU HAR IKKE BRITT DNA.

We're f**king hopeless.

Patrick08

I would say from his performances for us so far that this is not correct. AWB has been in very advanced positions, dribbling and taking on defenders and linking up with the forwards. I have not seen him get to the byline and whip crosses in so that is something he could add to his game but with his pace and technical ability I don't see why he couldn't learn, especially as he is young and still developing.

I do agree with the midfield/attacking concerns. With Ole preferring a 4-2-3-1 formation we either need a creative attacking midfielder to play in front of the pivot of Pogba/McTominay or failing that we need an out and out goalscorer up top who we can rely on for 20+ goals and I don't see either happening at this point.
It should be Pogba playing as a 10 with Matic and Mctominay as pivots. Let the pressure fall on defense with soft midfield and score more than the opposition to win matches. There is no wisdom in playing Pogba in a deep pivot in mid 2 and he is neither happy playing that role nor is good enough.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well, we'll see where we finish.

And if you look at Pochettino's football and results in the last few years and think 'what has he achieved?' simply because he hasn't won trophies with Southampton or Spurs - against far bigger spenders - that's a little sad.
Spending money isn't a measurement of success. It's how you spend it. Levy has been smart in the market and has spent a lot other than last year. Sorry, but Tottenham is not better than us. Either is Chelsea or Arsenal. Liverpool has been very fortunate with injuries (or lack there of) to their front 3. City is still the team to beat (as much as it pains me to say that) but we will put in a challenge this year. It's one thing for the media to write us off so easily, but I'm surprised at how easily our own supporters do. We will finish top 3 this year, and even though I will be happy with the improvement, anything but winning the title will be a disappointment to me and I'm not about to lower those standards for us no matter how much I have been disappointed in the past...

Devil may care

Good delivery from the RB is the main thing we need from him in attack as we don't have a right winger and that's not changing anytime soon, we need him and Shaw to do what Liverpool's fullbacks provide as we use inverted wide forwards.

Pogba in the double pivot with McTominay as a starter is a huge concern of it's own IMO, Pogba always struggles in a 2 and people mention France but neglect the fact he plays alongside Kante who covers an incredible amount of ground, and Matuidi plays LM and tucks in, basically making it a midfield 3 with Griezmann and Mbappe floating around up top playing off Giroud. Add to that McTominay isn't starter quality and the need for a #10 and a RW in this system, and beyond defense we looks like a ship full of holes.

Gandalf

It should be Pogba playing as a 10 with Matic and Mctominay as pivots. Let the pressure fall on defense with soft midfield and score more than the opposition to win matches. There is no wisdom in playing Pogba in a deep pivot in mid 2 and he is neither happy playing that role.
I understand that he did not like playing as a 10 when he was put there by Juve though. Pogba better suits a 4-4-2 diamond where he can be on the left on a central 2 with an attacking mid in front of him and a holding mid behind but that is not the formation we are going for. In a 3 man midfield I agree he doesn't like the discipline of defensive responsibility but he plays fine in a double pivot for France where he has a defensive partner and is giving some license to get forward. I think McTominay could be disciplined and would work for the team in that scenario and that would be the best use of Pogba in our preferred system.

ash_86

Eriksen pushes to fly to Madrid, Tottenham chasing the replacement. Between Coutinho and Lo Celso ...

Christian Eriksen pushes to fly to Madrid. The Atletico has been falling for weeks on Danish talent, as we had anticipated, in the last hours - according to the Telegraph - there would have been new contacts between the parties. But on the traces of Eriksen there is always the Real , ready for the big investment to reinforce the midfield. Double situation to be monitored with the utmost attention. Meanwhile, Tottenham is working to eventually secure the Danish substitute 24 hours after the end of the market: Coutinho would have refused the loan transfer, as proposed by the Spurs, with the latter having thus returned to the charge for Giovani Lo Celso.On the plate 60 million, the Betis asks 70 but the distance does not seem unbridgeable.
https://www.alfredopedulla.com/erik...caccia-del-sostituto-tra-coutinho-e-lo-celso/

Nico87

Considering the offers made for Pogba I assumed Madrid had no money left?, also presuming they will more than likely be back in for Pogba next summer he better look at Bale to see what his future holds.

edcunited1878

I understand that he did not like playing as a 10 when he was put there by Juve though. Pogba better suits a 4-4-2 diamond where he can be on the left on a central 2 with an attacking mid in front of him and a holding mid behind but that is not the formation we are going for. In a 3 man midfield I agree he doesn't like the discipline of defensive responsibility but he plays fine in a double pivot for France where he has a defensive partner and is giving some license to get forward. I think McTominay could be disciplined and would work for the team in that scenario and that would be the best use of Pogba in our preferred system.
Pogba played with Kante and either Tolisso or (mostly) Matuidi. Pogba played a very reserved and controlled game during the WC, but was supported by Kante and said Tolisso/Matuidi and they functioned as a very good, the best central midfield trio. In addition, France had impact players in Griezmann and Mbappe ahead of him. So you could slow down Pogba a bit, but France could still hurt you other ways via Greizmann, Mbappe and Giroud who played very well as the primary center forward.

With United, Pogba can of course play in a deep role along side a more traditional holding mid whether that is Matic or McTominay. However, the deeper Pogba is to goal at United, the less of a threat he is and more impotent United are attacking. He can be marked out of a game easier when teams either mark him or sit back. Having a SS, #10 or right forward (legitimate talent) ahead of Pogba would be immense.

Pogba is suited better in the 442 diamond...but if United are to play a higher press, that means Pogba is higher up the pitch and must close down more often and be more aware off the ball understanding when to close down, who to close down and when not to.

fps

It should be Pogba playing as a 10 with Matic and Mctominay as pivots. Let the pressure fall on defense with soft midfield and score more than the opposition to win matches. There is no wisdom in playing Pogba in a deep pivot in mid 2 and he is neither happy playing that role nor is good enough.
I agree. He was signed for £90m. That's a match-winner. Put him nearer the opposition goal and let him win matches. Ironically that would help the defence more because the other team would be terrified of leaving him in space.

TRUERED89

He's been getting to the by-line quite often in pre-season, just final ball could do with improvement..

PeteReDevil

iPete
More like this:

We're f**king hopeless.
:lol:

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Considering the offers made for Pogba I assumed Madrid had no money left?, also presuming they will more than likely be back in for Pogba next summer he better look at Bale to see what his future holds.
Pogba isn't injury prone like Bale? If Pogba wants to win the biggest prizes in football, he needs to move on to a club that can do this, United look 3-5 years away from even challenging for the Champions League, let alone winning it.

If I was a United fan I would want to cash in on Pogba and bring in a younger player, hungry to succeed at United,not have somebody that's counting down the days until they leave.

Iron Stove

More like this:

We're f**king hopeless.
:lol:

Amir

Spending money isn't a measurement of success. It's how you spend it. Levy has been smart in the market and has spent a lot other than last year. Sorry, but Tottenham is not better than us. Either is Chelsea or Arsenal. Liverpool has been very fortunate with injuries (or lack there of) to their front 3. City is still the team to beat (as much as it pains me to say that) but we will put in a challenge this year. It's one thing for the media to write us off so easily, but I'm surprised at how easily our own supporters do. We will finish top 3 this year, and even though I will be happy with the improvement, anything but winning the title will be a disappointment to me and I'm not about to lower those standards for us no matter how much I have been disappointed in the past...
A) Having more money is no guarentee, but it gives you a better chance. Spurs have done a lot with less money than others, but it's not just about Levy, it also about the manager.

B) I do agree that Liverpool were lucky last season, but nevertheless, you look at the quality of their football and we are nowhere near. Looking at the bar that has been set by two well-drilled sides, City and Liverpool, there's no way we're getting there next season even if things go well, which is doubtful. There's just too much to do and too many holes in the squad and first team.

So you can prepare yourself for a disappointment. We're not winning the title, we're not going to be challenging. Realism is not lowering the standards. Thinking we're not good enough RIGHT NOW is not lowering the standards.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I stand by my view that it's a mess, Greenwood and Gomes have some potential but that's all it is right now, McTominay is a squad player at best, Jones and Mata are a waste of time, Rashford and Martial have let us down over and over, Pereira isn't good enough and AWB can only do half the job of a modrern fullback at the moment, much like Shaw, they both need to improve the attacking side of their game.

Signing one CM wouldn't be enough to change things dramatically, we are using 4-2-3-1, that's Pogba in a 2 which has failed over and over, and Matic is finished, we needed two CM's. We also needed a #10 and a RW in the system Ole is using, the idea I'm sure you are going to reply with is Greenwood at RW and Gomes at #10, IMO that is fantasy land, if we tried it, it wouldn't work because they aren't ready, secondly Ole wont do that anyway, most weeks it will be Mata and Lingard starting, neither of whom are anywhere near good enough, and that's before we get to the fact I simply don't trust Martial or Rashford anymore, I think our attack and midfield is a shambles.
Unfortunately I fully agree with this post.
I can see us starting games with Matic, Mata and Lingard and this is really worrying.
Only positives are it looks as Pogba stays and we sorted out our defense.
Still no creativity and while I like what I have seen of James I am not convinced that he will give us anything that Martial and Rashford do not provide. I just hope he proves to be more consistent.

And anyone putting his hopes high because of our youngsters having shown some potential in a few pre season games is up for a big disappointment.

We needed creativity and players that could move the ball quicker and we did not get one. So it will be again neutralizing Pogba by our opponents and no one else to create enough chances.

I just hope our significantly better defense will be enough to somehow grab 4th and attract the right players in 2020.

manunited1919

I don't know how any United fan can look at the midfield and forwards we have and think there's no problems, people talk about scraping 4th, we might not scrape 6th.
Bet you those same fans will blame Pogba and Martial when the season goes pear shaped.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
More like this:

We're f**king hopeless.
Plinky plonky smecky wecky.

This is America, you must speak American.

manunited1919

This is a realistic assessment of the state we are in, a complete mess. I would add this: Ed Woodward is completely wrong about his theory that football fans remain loyal to their teams no matter what. Yes some of us do because we have been suppoters a long time, but football fans are not masochists. We can see what’s happening. I think if this mismanagement continues a few more years, United will be losing fans by the droves. And then climbing back will be much much harder.

fps

This is a realistic assessment of the state we are in, a complete mess. I would add this: Ed Woodward is completely wrong about his theory that football fans remain loyal to their teams no matter what. Yes some of us do because we have been suppoters a long time, but football fans are not masochists. We can see what’s happening. I think if this mismanagement continues a few more years, United will be losing fans by the droves. And then climbing back will be much much harder.
It's more that those impressionable 10 year olds will pick a City or Liverpool shirt up instead of a United one, because winners are cool. It's the next generation that's being hollowed out, fan-wise.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I keep opening up this thread, scrolling through the replies. I'm searching for something. I'm searching for something vaguely resembling hope. Just a glimmer. I find nothing but Just pain and misery and Ed bashing. So I leave again. Better luck next time.

Redcafe.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
When McGinn and Longstaff at £50m+ after less than a dozen games accounts for 50% of your targets, I think we can begin to understand why Ole wants to wait for the right players. If Ole wants to wait for the right players as opposed to that level of aforementioned players (not to say I wouldn't want Longstaff here) then I can understand. Fred, for example, would've been that kind of player prior to us signing him, and now you're using him as an example of the players we need to upgrade on.
I never wanted us to sign Fred though? Besides, just because Fred flopped doesn’t mean we shouldn’t sign someone else.

Scriblerus

Real might come back with a 2nd bid for pogba tomorrow, but our deadline day fax machine will see it off.
Hate to break it to you, but Real have until 2 September to get the money together, and I for one m not writing off their chances of shifting enough players out to free up the cash. If they come in with a fat offer, what do you think Ed and PP would want to do?

Flexdegea

It's more that those impressionable 10 year olds will pick a City or Liverpool shirt up instead of a United one, because winners are cool. It's the next generation that's being hollowed out, fan-wise.

Yeah all the barren years have really hurt liverpool..................they've had a fanbase amongst kids to rival United going back to 90s.

One league cup in a decade and most kids are still united and liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.