Christian Falk: I have heard from my sources that United’s management is ready to invest 300 million euros to build a new team

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sancho + a quality midfielder will not be far from that. See it happening if Pogba goes within a year, otherwise not really.

theklr

Well, the reports from various sources is that we have £90 mill. in cash and made ready £140 mill. from the credit line, its not a far stretch to imagine we could get another £70 mill. from sales and various sources if we REALLY needed to.

But yeah, its clear from the article its a PR ploy to entice potential transfers. Would never use that much money in a normal year, and especially not now. But can see it in total for this, january and next transfer window.

Think they have had a pretty clear plan of the rebuild and thats what he's alluding to.

Andersons Dietician

This has been a story that has been mentioned all season long. There have been a few reporters and pundits mention long before the pandemic that United were lining up this summer to go big.

Can and will they still do this who knows. There will always be money coming in to this club so personally if they had plans on going big this would be an opportunity to take advantage of a weak market. I however just don’t really see it happening. I still think we’ll spend the usual 150mil but not sure we’ll go to 300.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's strange that the is same source is being taken as gospel in the Bellingham thread that United aren't getting him but when it's positive United news he's now unreliable or talking rubbish.

Make your mind up muppets!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's strange that the is same source is being taken as gospel in the Bellingham thread that United aren't getting him but when it's positive United news he's now unreliable or talking rubbish.

Make your mind up muppets!

Very true - I question Falk's knowledge here. He's probably fine in his silo but when it comes to knowing other clubs in other leagues he sounds a bit suspect.

This is why I'm still unsure on his view on Bellingham - he probably only knows the Dortmund side and assumes the rest.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Very true - I question Falk's knowledge here. He's probably fine in his silo but when it comes to knowing other clubs in other leagues he sounds a bit suspect.

This is why I'm still unsure on his view on Bellingham - he probably only knows the Dortmund side and assumes the rest.
He used to be reliable for Bayern news, he knows feck all these days though.

SambaBoy

We need to try and recruit as much money as we can this summer and finally get rid of all the deadwood which Ole has been great at. Sanchez, Jones, Mata, Smalling, Rojo all need to leave. All on significant wages too.

Lingard and Pereira if we get a decent enough offer, or they will be gone in the next 2-3 windows at least I'd imagine. Matic too, once his new contract expires. De Gea might leave in the next 2-3 years, he's our top earner and we have Henderson who looks a top quality GK waiting in the wings.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My bet is just they're tallying up all the targets in Germany that have been contacted and thrown in a few others in the media to come to that number. I doubt we'll spend that this summer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why would a journalist be doing exclusives with a United twitter account ffs.

Screams of wanting to be made popular and famous. Don't believe what he says at all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Unless we have money we are hiding and isn't appearing in our statement, this figure is bullshit.
The premise is even wrong. Why do we need to rebuild the team? We have a young group of tale ted players, I doubt anyone is looking at a rebuild.

bdecuc

Don't forget when Ole was asked if the Bruno transfer in January was out of the summer budget he confirmed it was. So it's 300m (over a period we don't know) minus what we paid for Bruno. Oh and plus it's all mindless speculation anyway.

The Red Thinker

We are three players away from challenging for the title:

- A CB who can head the ball and has the strength and mobility to partner Maguire. Basically Eric Bailly- if only he was fit all the time

- A RW who can cross the ball and has the speed to burn LBs

- A RB who can backup AWB. A Darmian type
Who’s happy to play the part and not crave a starting position.

Dante

Average bang
Unless his source is Ed Woodward himself, this story is bullshit.

The usual sources that a journalist uses are: players, agents, and players' entourages. You can occasionally throw chairmen into the mix, but those kinds of leaks are PR rather than anything concrete.

It's highly unlikely this rumour has any weight to it. It could only ever come from the top, because nobody below that level works on the money side of things. But the people at the top aren't going to want to leak how big our budget is. This sounds like speculation at best.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
We need to try and recruit as much money as we can this summer and finally get rid of all the deadwood which Ole has been great at. Sanchez, Jones, Mata, Smalling, Rojo all need to leave. All on significant wages too.
Gosh, that's going to be tough. Off the top of my head I can think of Money B, Miss Moneypenny, 50 Cent, Johnny Cash, Young Money. I don't think such a high concentration of rappers in a small space will be good for the club.

crossy1686

career ending
We've spent more than that trying to build a team over the last 7 years. I'd take any amount of money as long as it's spent right. Recruitment has to continue in the same way it is now or that £300m might as well be £3.

spaceboyRSA

Gosh, that's going to be tough. Off the top of my head I can think of Money B, Miss Moneypenny, 50 Cent, Johnny Cash, Young Money. I don't think such a high concentration of rappers in a small space will be good for the club.
Theres also bbno$. His song is really annoying. Also he has no money according to his name, so maybe that doesnt help.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I know exactly how it happened.
First We took out 140m from credit facility, leaving 90m.
Then We took out 90m from credit facility.
140+90 = 230m

Then We reached an agreement to sell:
  1. Chris Smalling to AS Roma for 20m
  2. Phil Jones to Newcastle for 15m
  3. Sanchez to Inter for 1m (token of appreciation)
  4. Matic to Tottenham for 10m
  5. Pereira + Lingard to Norwich for a combined total of 24m
Total 70m. 70+230 = 300m.

I believe Christian Falk. In fact He could be any other religion, e.g. Buddhist Falk and I will still believe him because the numbers make perfect sense.

crossy1686

career ending

Suspect this £300m stuff has come from an agent Woodward has given the "Disneyland" pitch to.

I never quite understood why people can't wait to discredit sources. Journalists get told scoops by people who are close to the players or clubs, between them hearing the news and then reporting it, the player could have changed his mind or the source could have been manipulation tactics from an agent.

If everyone gives these people dogs abuse for reporting what they've been told in good faith, they'll just stop reporting it.

Andy Mitten said the other week that he could give us names of all the players he knows for a fact United are in talks with or are close to signing but it's not worth the abuse he'll get if it doesn't work out, and he said "believe me" many of them don't work out in the end for whatever reason.

Irrational.

As I said in another thread, just another Twitter ITK trying to stay relevant by putting out wooly tweets without any substance.

His next Tweet: "Sancho @ManUtd bound. Manchester City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus keeping an eye on the situation. Dortmund trying to keep him."

Ignore.

Cliche Guevara

I reckon he knows Falk all.

Actually someone posted a very good article explaining why if anyone mentions transfer budgets, ‘warchests’ etc you should immediately reject it because it doesn’t work like that. Similar with net spend which doesn’t actually exist.

It was pretty clear in the detail that amortizing transfer costs, taking into account players wages and signing on fees the reality is you have player costs which is a continuing business.

For example you could sell £100m of players and bring in two free transfers. ‘Net spend’ is -£100m.

The signing on fees and wages for your two free transfers, however, could mean that you are actually spending more money over the period.

Also take into account purchases and sales over the period, contract renewals, players contracts expiring and you have a constantly changing position in relation to what your current player costs are.

Like the shirt sales bollocks it would be good if we could actively destroy any chat of transfer budgets.

I do accept however that a club will have a certain amount of money to spend, and it might be that this summer a club can only afford to pay a maximum of £50m on transfer fees for example. Nobody knows the intimate detail of a club’s budget however and how it will be made up.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Your journalistic standards must be awfully low if you're happy to give an exclusive interview to Utd report

GBBQ

I just don't see us spending that type of money in the current climate. However I do hope that our finances might allow us to spend wisely and bring in some key players at a reduced price. The pay off would then be in future summers only having to bring in 1 or 2 players to freshen things up. The squad is young and there's quite a few who should still be with us in 10 years time.

mav_9me

Why would a journalist be doing exclusives with a United twitter account ffs.

Screams of wanting to be made popular and famous. Don't believe what he says at all.
100% this. Works both ways too. The journo gets some "fame" among united fans. The Twitter handle gets some respectability for having an actual journo on.

RedDevilRoshi

I swear I see this same old story every single summer that we have a massive amount of money available to spend in the upcoming transfer window.

Taking it as a pinch of salt.

croadyman

We are three players away from challenging for the title:

- A CB who can head the ball and has the strength and mobility to partner Maguire. Basically Eric Bailly- if only he was fit all the time

- A RW who can cross the ball and has the speed to burn LBs

- A RB who can backup AWB. A Darmian type
Who’s happy to play the part and not crave a starting position.
Do you not reckon that we need a DM too?

seegoblu

While I doubt the veracity of the report, we must remember that the figure quoted is not only a gross transfer figure (vs. the net transfer amount that many posters have gone to great lengths to show actually is a more reasonable number) but it ignores the structuring of these incoming deals. While the club may agree to acquire players with a total transfer amount of around £300m, unless there are release clauses triggered in the acquisition of these players, much of the payment will be spread across multiple years.

So even if the math is correct and Sancho, Havertz, VDB and Bellingham are all acquired, it's likely that this year's payments will be closer to £100m to £150m, than the full £300m. While outgoing transfers are also paid for over time, our true net spend could be less than £100m. Spending like that would be truly flexing the club's financial muscles and taking advantage of the current marketplace.

Robertd0803

Would not be surprised if it is another Ed Woodward brief, but most likely a German journo trying to help Dortmund or Bayer more money for Sancho or Havertz.
Very likely.

Well, the reports from various sources is that we have £90 mill. in cash and made ready £140 mill. from the credit line
Yeah this is why I think we are hoping/trying to get Dortmund/Villa to negotiate regarding Sanchos/Grealishs price and deal structure. We will not spend €300million to spend in one window even if we did have it to spend.

izec

If it is 300m Euros over the next 2 years, then it isn't much, especially if you include some sales.

DavelinaJolie

Hardly seems sensible to announce it, as much as the market may be down, if you announce a big war chest, people are still going to try and rinse you.