Christophe Galtier | League-winning manager with Lille now at Nice

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
We've got threads for Ruben Amorim, Erik Ten Hag, for Marco Rose, "Naglesmann", Ralph "Hassenhuttl", for Emery, Lopetegui, for the managerial exploits of Pirlo, Xavi, Gattuso and even Thierry Henry, but there isn't yet one for Christophe Galtier.
This seems to fit with the feeling I have that Galtier is a manager who, strangely, continues to fly under the radar, at least outside of France. I say strangely, because his record of success is as impressive as it is consistent and conclusive, and successful managers normally are a very hot property in football, no? Or maybe it's just me that feels he's underrated or underrepresented?

I thought a thread is warranted, not because I know so much about him that I can write, but because I want to know more about him.
The following is half-baked and amateurishly pieced together, superficial overview. Please fill in, correct, add everything.

55 years old, Galtier started his managerial career off with a long spell at St Etienne whom he basically established as a good, stable upper midtable team, shaping a successful team with young players like Gomis or Payet, or later Saint-Maximin, and producing big money moves for players like Matuidi, Zouma, Aubameyang in the process.
He stayed at St Etienne for impressive eight years winning a league cup and reaching Europa League qualification a couple of times, eventually leaving the club in 2017 at the end of his contract.
He took over Lille in midseason 17/18, when they were 18th in the table, saved them from relegation and then led them to 2nd place and CL quali the very next season.
We all know what happened last season, when they led an amazing, spectacular, impressively consistent league campaign to beat out PSG to the title against all odds.

I was very surprised to hear him leaving Lille right after becoming champions, to join Nices no less who had been only midtable after the collapse of Favre's reign and during Vieira's time.
What was going on, was it because of the team getting sold?

Looking at the table now, Lille and Nice have switched places, Lille now midtable and Nice up there with PSG in 2nd place. It's a stunning testament to his impact as a manager.

Having not seen too much of his Lille, what's his style? It was a solid, compact 4-4-2 wasn't it, not conceding many and grinding out wins? Is he the French Conte, or better Simeone?
Doesn't he deserve a shot at a big club? Abroad?
What's his standing in France, how is he perceived? Why isn't PSG after him, due to stylistic reasons? Is he not a popular personality?

Would love to know more from our Ligue 1-versed posters.

Meanwhile, I'm watching his Nice, with Bayern legend and Pep favourite Dante, keeping PSG at bay in a Coupe de France game that's on right now.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The french Simeone would be more accurate, though he isn't as excitable. He allegedly picked Nice because he wanted to be closer to his family that lives in Marseille while he was at Lille. And yes, they were able to get him because after the sale to INEOS, they offered him an ambitious long term project.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Meanwhile, I'm watching his Nice, with Bayern legend and Pep favourite Dante, keeping PSG at bay in a Coupe de France game that's on right now.
Me too. Nice to see him still going strong, brings some flavor to this otherwise extremely dire game. PSG's such an uninspired side.

Stopped following L1 once Tuchel left so can't comment on Galtier. Top guy it seems but armchair says he's not the type to leave France. Like Emery with Spain.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He strikes me as the ultimate 'underdog' manager.

Someone who is happy at the underdogs, but likes to have a bit of cash to spend on his types of players.

Seems to have a good track record with improving young players too.

Always thought he Knew Lille would get decimated after the league title, hence why he left.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What's with Nagelsmann and Hassenhüttl in quotes?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Me too. Nice to see him still going strong, brings some flavor to this otherwise extremely dire game. PSG's such an uninspired side.

Stopped following L1 once Tuchel left so can't comment on Galtier. Top guy it seems but armchair says he's not the type to leave France. Like Emery with Spain.
Had a similar feeling, obviously without any real knowledge but based on the observation that he stayed so long with St Etienne (he must have had offers!), and left Lille for a move down the table, in favour of long term working conditions as @JPRouve says. He doesn't seem like someone who's after glory and whose head is turned quickly.
Wonder how he is in terms of media, could imagine rather the silent type than a stage hog like the glory-hunting German managers that left for the limelight of the PL.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Wonder how he is in terms of media, could imagine rather the silent type than a stage hog like the glory-hunting German managers that left for the limelight of the PL.
Hmm... the BEIN commentator in my stream just called him "rather colourful and flamboyant".. there goes my prejudice

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
So you haven't used the most frequent spellings of the other managers' names? I don't get it.
There's not much to get, it's not a big deal. Just a little joke because the ubiquitous "Hassenhuttl" misspelling is always a bit funny, as "Hasen" means bunnies but "Hassen" means to hate, name takes on a very different tone with it.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Hmm... the BEIN commentator in my stream just called him "rather colourful and flamboyant".. there goes my prejudice
It's the coat he's wearing - gives it away.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
There's not much to get, it's not a big deal. Just a little joke because the ubiquitous "Hassenhuttl" misspelling is always a bit funny, as "Hasen" means bunnies but "Hassen" means to hate, name takes on a very different tone with it.
Ahh, zi German sense of humour!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
So you haven't used the most frequent spellings of the other managers' names? I don't get it.
As a native German speaker this forum can be at times quite infuriating because of how often (especially longer) German names are misspelled. Nagelsmann and Hasenhüttl are obvious examples, Rangnick also seems to be quite difficult for a lot of posters, and the fact that a lot of people on here can't distinguish between Ralf (Rangnick) and Ralph (Hasenhüttl) and mix that up is ridiculous.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
As a native German speaker this forum can be at times quite infuriating because of how often (especially longer) German names are misspelled. Nagelsmann and Hasenhüttl are obvious examples, Rangnick also seems to be quite difficult for a lot of posters, and the fact that a lot of people on here can't distinguish between Ralf (Rangnick) and Ralph (Hasenhüttl) and mix that up is ridiculous.
People just can’t spell in general, nothing to do with German names. Uneducated swines.

Maagge

Oh don't worry. All non-British names get butchered. Even some British ones. A simple name like Eriksen will be spelled in four different ways on the same page.

stu_1992

Oh don't worry. All non-British names get butchered. Even some British ones. A simple name like Eriksen will be spelled in four different ways on the same page.
How often does Maguire get incorrectly spelled on this website? I must have seen about 3 or 4 variations.

Maagge

Thought that was a meme..
I think it might be now, but it didn't start that way.

Lingard and Lindegaard also morphed together at one point meaning you'll some times see Lingard spelled with an extra D or A.

Caesar2290

He's 55? The caf told me that Ten Hag is old 51. This guy must be a dinosaur then.

Caf logic

JPRouve

Scout
People just can’t spell in general, nothing to do with German names. Uneducated swines.
Someone that shouldn't be named keeps writing Mpabbe. I wonder if he is trolling.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Back on topic: Gaultier sure makes PSG look like an average side.

JPRouve

Scout
I think it might be now, but it didn't start that way.

Lingard and Lindegaard also morphed together at one point meaning you'll some times see Lingard spelled with an extra D or A.
There is also Bailey. But I can't speak too much I always have check Galthié and Galtier.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
And the classic Janujaz that never made any sense
This one still confuses me. With most of the other misspellings, they at least make sense phonetically, so you can somewhat give the poster the benefit of the doubt.

But Janujaz? "Ya-nuh-yaz"?! No way.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Todibo with some proper heroics.

He looked fantastic when starting out for Barca, I wondered why they got rid of him so willingly, he looked poor at Schalke however. Always nice to see where players end up.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Todibo with some proper heroics.

He looked fantastic when starting out for Barca, I wondered why they got rid of him so willingly, he looked poor at Schalke however. Always nice to see where players end up.
There were a few on I didn't keep track on: Kluivert and Dolberg for example. Schneiderlin too.

NoPace

I feel like his big selling point is that he's won with a 4-4-2 without being as defensive as Simeone, so maybe he'll get a big move from a team that's best off playing that way because of their squad. That might have been us but isn't anymore with Greenwood gone.

Juve seem like the best squad around to play a 4-4-2 (Vlahovic and Dybala up top, Chiesa out wide and Locatelli can play in a 2, though they need another wide player and a partner for Locatelli I guess) who aren't in the spot they want to be, and if they lose to Villareal maybe they'll fire Allegri?

JPRouve

Scout
I feel like his big selling point is that he's won with a 4-4-2 without being as defensive as Simeone, so maybe he'll get a big move from a team that's best off playing that way because of their squad. That might have been us but isn't anymore with Greenwood gone.

Juve seem like the best squad around to play a 4-4-2 (Vlahovic and Dybala up top, Chiesa out wide and Locatelli can play in a 2, though they need another wide player and a partner for Locatelli I guess) who aren't in the spot they want to be, and if they lose to Villareal maybe they'll fire Allegri?
He joined Nice this summer, he is going nowhere.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

Arsenal should be all over this.