City’s ‘sponsors’

Offsideagain

They have been at it again signing deals directly linked with the Abu Dhabi Government. We all know Etihad bung them close to £70m a year (well that’s the published figure) even though Etihad lost $1.70 billion in 2020 and $476 million last year. Dunno how that works legally. Now they signed with Masdar owned by Mubadala group. Guess who the CEO and MD is? Yep Mr Al Mubarak Chairman of Man City. Now if that doesn’t break a few rules then the PL, UEFA and the FA should pack up and just let these dodgy bastards sweep up all the cups. Another deal is with Emirates Palace Hotels owned by the Abu Dhabi Government. Surely that is also a bit dodgy.
It will be interesting to see if Gary Neville mentions this and also the Abu Dhabi Governments involvement in the war with the rebels in Yemen. These rebels are backed by Iran so perhaps that’s ok with Mr.Neville but women and kids are still being killed. Maybe the Government will go after Mansour for the tax he owes on the Barclays shares he sold at a vast capital gain but I doubt it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
In before someone comes in and says I don't want to talk politics, just football.

Myopic stuff like this is why the UK has allowed so much dirty money to pervade so many of its institutions.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
It's almost admirable how little of a sh*t City give about their own corruption. They don't try to hide it & they aren't afraid of any punishment.

Chairman Steve

I wouldn’t count on someone like Gary Neville to raise this issue. It usually has to come from the investigative journalism sector.

Our Gary works for Sky who are undoubtedly in bed with the Premier League who got in bed with the likes of Abramovich, UAE and Saudi Arabia. There is some blissful ignorance and turning heads the other way at play.

Remember the Super League thing last year? When Gary was like “Feck Utd, Feck Liverpool, Feck Arsenal, Feck Spurs. Theyre killing football! Not happy with City or Chelsea either but seriously feck those 4 clubs”

Last edited:

Yakuza_devils

PL, UEFA & FA to take action against City? PL, UEFA & FA representatives have 2 options - take the brown envelopes or face a team of best lawyers in the world. Either case UAE-City win.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
PL, UEFA & FA to take action against City? PL, UEFA & FA representatives have 2 options - take the brown envelopes or face a team of best lawyers in the world. Either case UAE-City win.
This.

Oranges038

FA and UEFA lawyers threatening City again, no chance.

Gary Neville thinks he’s the next Labour leader.
He’s more like the next Boris Johnson, the guy is a walking hypocrite.

As for the corruption, both parties (Premier League and Abu Dhabi) don’t even try to hide it anymore.

As for the Premier league in general, Saudi Arabia just bought Newcastle so the premier league is now open to the highest bidder and fair play is out the window. They can’t say no to other countries now that they have said yes to Abu Dhabi.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's almost admirable how little of a sh*t City give about their own corruption. They don't try to hide it & they aren't afraid of any punishment.
That's the MO of the Saudi government (and their minion states like UAE). Why change?

tomaldinho1

"they don't get their money from a huge fan base and noodle sponsorships, wah wah, underserved, wah wah"
You jest but Woodward going to City or Newcastle is a genuine fear I have. He won’t be allowed anywhere near the football side and will just create an absolute web of noodle, washing machine and tyre sponsors which are legitimate.

MUFC OK

Until we (UK) start to take anti-corruption seriously and properly fund those government departments our economy and institutions will continue to be an easy target for unscrupulous individuals with wealth and power to rinse their dirty money.

Zen86

The current UK government is about as bent as it gets, as are football's ruling bodies. Don't hold your breath on anything changing.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Politics shouldn't come in to football, that is the root of this issue. Lots of countries have different cultures to western countries, to them it's what normal is. China, all Middle Eastern countries, Russia and many other places. Frankly we've no right to say we're better than they are and that they should be like us. If we're doing business with these countries, no reason they can't invest in football clubs like any other business in the country.

Football should be setup, so the league can't simply be bought by whichever billionaire has the most cash to throw at the problem. Yes pretty ironic coming from a Chelsea fan... Ultimately football will have to go the US route for top professional sports leagues. Both because from a sporting perspective it'll create a proper competition and from an economic perspective it's ridiculous that it's now nearly impossible to turn a profit and be a success on the pitch.

Devil77

Politics shouldn't come in to football, that is the root of this issue. Lots of countries have different cultures to western countries, to them it's what normal is. China, all Middle Eastern countries, Russia and many other places. Frankly we've no right to say we're better than they are and that they should be like us. If we're doing business with these countries, no reason they can't invest in football clubs like any other business in the country.

Football should be setup, so the league can't simply be bought by whichever billionaire has the most cash to throw at the problem. Yes pretty ironic coming from a Chelsea fan... Ultimately football will have to go the US route for top professional sports leagues. Both because from a sporting perspective it'll create a proper competition and from an economic perspective it's ridiculous that it's now nearly impossible to turn a profit and be a success on the pitch.
If you want to own a British team and take part in European tournaments you should follow the rules and laws established by their footballing governments. If you don't want that due to "cultural differences", go own a team in another country.

Yakuza_devils

Everyone knows about the fake sponsors but nobody can do anything about it. There are many loopholes and then there are a team of world best lawyers on their side. Most importantly many in UEFA received thick brown envelopes to look the other way.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
This is why I try and focus on the football. Everything else is structurally corrupt whichever side you look at it from.

AlexUTD

Sued again by La Liga for breaking ffp

Fecking corruption everywhere in UEFA/CAS etc. And $hitty/P$G wonder why many hate them.

And P$G Chairman sitting in the executive comitee board in UEFA is a farce. Defending top european clubs intrests my arse. He is just looking out for himmself and the Quatari owners and how they can cheat the system.

They are ruining the sport and everyone just sits down and let it happen.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
In their opinion...

...I mean, we all know City and PSG are getting sponsored by shadow companies, but how are UEFA going to stop that?

tomaldinho1

Football needs serious change but people love money too much to actually do it.

It’s genuinely laughable City were even allowed to get away with the original £400m Etihad deal. Wenger flagged it and was laughed at. Genuinely disgraceful what the league has become.

Zen86

It's a publicity thing. I'm sure they know they've absolutely zero chance of success here. That said, fair play to them for putting the spotlight back on City & PSG.

Yakuza_devils

Fake sponsors and creative accounting aside, there are also many secret transactions and payments to managers, agents and players via offshore accounts to avoid violation to FFP.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Fecking corruption everywhere in UEFA/CAS etc. And $hitty/P$G wonder why many hate them.

And P$G Chairman sitting in the executive comitee board in UEFA is a farce. Defending top european clubs intrests my arse. He is just looking out for himmself and the Quatari owners and how they can cheat the system.

They are ruining the sport and everyone just sits down and let it happen.
Nah, the PL is way more exciting to me now than when Utd just dominated year after year. The difference is, a lot of Utd fans are having to adapt to a reality where they can be matched financially and they just don’t like it.
Because let’s me honest you don’t want a level playing field, you wan to to return to a time when Utd were the biggest and best.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Nah, the PL is way more exciting to me now than when Utd just dominated year after year. The difference is, a lot of Utd fans are having to adapt to a reality where they can be matched financially and they just don’t like it.
Because let’s me honest you don’t want a level playing field, you wan to to return to a time when Utd were the biggest and best.
of course united fans don't want a level playing field and of course United fans want to go back to a time where they dominated.
Yet, City/PSG don't level the playing field so. They are another level on top of the pyramid. They are not an equalizer, but exacerbate the problem.

AlexUTD

Are you in the same thread or read my post at all?

United won without breaking any financial rules set to regulate football, we earned more money cause of the massive fanbase. It was more of a level playing field when United was successful cause clubs spent what they earned so dont really know what you on about.

Im talking about those clubs breaking the rules not who the feck wins.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Conversely the reason people turned a blind eye to City/Chelsea/now Newcastle was because United (fairly) were completely dominant without having to cheat the rules, and wanted them to drop off.

They got their wish now, well done.

RoyH1

It's weird that they didn't throw a hissy fit when all the Italian clubs were trying to buy all their best players in the late 90s-early00s
Tebas wasn't in charge back is the logical answer. This is his undertaking alone, I don't think anyone has requested he do this. I think the Spanish clubs themselves know it's pretty useless and nothing is ever going to come out of it. City's lawyer's have proven to be formidable and PSG's president is so far up Ceferin's posterior that it's absolutely impossible for him to do anything even if he wanted to (which I bet he doesn't because he doesn't care where the money comes from as long as UEFA's suits get their share of it).

With Newcastle now owned by the Saudi's (I'm hearing they're going for Inter Milan too) it's only a matter of time before other states flush with mineral liquidity join in and get their little PR project's going. What's Oman, Bahrain and Kuwait investing in these days?

stevoc

In their opinion...

...I mean, we all know City and PSG are getting sponsored by shadow companies, but how are UEFA going to stop that?
Enforcing their own FFP rules and giving out harsh punishments to those who break them would have been a start. But that ship has long since sailed and now inevitably this farce will lead to a Super League eventually.

stevoc

And that's what we have now is it?

And when was this period that United couldn't be ''matched financially''?

Hammondo

What do you mean by its own corruption?