City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

r1z3mu

Well, nothing new here. We all know that much of MC sponsorship is state oil money transferred via different channels. And yes, there will be some symbolic punishment - or maybe not. After that business will go on as usual. If world cup can be sold (I'm talking about Qatar world cup that Blatter and Platini sold for millions of dollars) why everything else in football cannot be bought or sold. Sad but true. Now let's get Varane (please, please) and kick some oil teams from top of table.

Matthew84!

If they have cheated which we have known for years they have, it's about time something was done.
I hope all the links to the papers are being sent everywhere. Ideally be plastered all over twitter, Facebook, Instagram, it has to be trending.
Every game when City play the fans should shout cheat or start a chant about it, would make things interesting for the players and Pep.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
No

I don’t think people realise how much they have woven themselevs into the fabric of the local area, the league and world football. At a time when Football is struggling for money, they represent a source of external money that will never be warned off.
City are transformed. They represent a nation state, a hideously repressive regime. I am delighted to see the FA challenge them. It has taken - already - determined action and genuine courage. Well done them.

The obstructive tactics of City seem to have failed in court, ground down by patient work. The problem for them now is - like in Star Trek - the energy shield is down. If the case of cheating repeatedly is proven (I know, it’s an ‘if’), there have to be consequences. Part of the problem they have is the existential threat to the FA and international bodies represented by the likes of the Super League. This ESL could be viewed as a last ditch attempt by other clubs to save the sport from the distortion effect of the oil barons.

To stop the rot, bodies like the FA have to convincingly demonstrate that they do, indeed, represent competitive sport.

The indication seems to be that the FA have dug in for the long haul. They may feel they have no choice. Therefore this is a battle for the heart and soul of football, make no mistake. City maybe could have backed down earlier and accepted a smaller punishment. But going this road, arguably, means the shit will now hit the fan. Due process must now take its course. Worrying for City, methinks.

There’s the rub. If found guilty, I predict that City will be relegated. Large fine as well. They will presumably then have to agree to abide by the rules, and more intrusive financial supervision. Problem is, in this hypothetical scenario, what do you do about the last two titles?

Tincanalley

Looking ahead, it may even be a happy ending. Despite their objectionable owners and dodgy practices, Cheaty have brought Pep and his ideology of positive play to the Shores of Blighty. It’s upped competition, and it’s interesting to see the Glazers apparent fresh interest in the fans and in supporting the manager. I don’t know about you, but I smell big moves afoot.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
City are transformed. They represent a nation state, a hideously repressive regime. I am delighted to see the FA challenge them. It has taken - already - determined action and genuine courage. Well done them.

The obstructive tactics of City seem to have failed in court, ground down by patient work. The problem for them now is - like in Star Trek - the energy shield is down. If the case of cheating repeatedly is proven (I know, it’s an ‘if’), there have to be consequences. Part of the problem they have is the existential threat to the FA and international bodies represented by the likes of the Super League. This ESL could be viewed as a last ditch attempt by other clubs to save the sport from the distortion effect of the oil barons.

To stop the rot, bodies like the FA have to convincingly demonstrate that they do, indeed, represent competitive sport.

The indication seems to be that the FA have dug in for the long haul. They may feel they have no choice. Therefore this is a battle for the heart and soul of football, make no mistake. City maybe could have backed down earlier and accepted a smaller punishment. But going this road, arguably, means the shit will now hit the fan. Due process must now take its course. Worrying for City, methinks.

There’s the rub. If found guilty, I predict that City will be relegated. Large fine as well. They will presumably then have to agree to abide by the rules, and more intrusive financial supervision. Problem is, in this hypothetical scenario, what do you do about the last two titles?
Can't see it being that drastic. What are the worst fine/penalties that have been handed out in English football? From memory it is large fines and 10-30 point deductions. I cannot see City getting anything more than that.

People point to Juventus being stripped of titles but that was due to bribery of referees. That is a much more serious crime than FFP violations so I don't think City will be hit with that.

That said, this doesn't look good for City. They only just avoided a 2 year CL ban on a ridiculous technicality (why is there a time limitation) and if proven guilty, it will likely hit their income hard (as I suspect this is still happening.)

No CL (owing to a points deduction) plus reduced income will seriously impact their ability to buy players and pay the wages of their squad.

Hulksmash

Im not a lawyer but can't City just go to court and get rid of FFP? FFP is breaching the open Market Rules and probably 50 other laws.

So in the end nothing will happen

Zen86

They’re a cancer on the sport, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for any meaningful punishment. A laughable fine, probably.

SAFMUTD

Anyone thinking any serious consequences will come from this is fooling himself.

At the end of the day FIFA it's a corrupt institution, they know oil funded clubs cheat and they're ok with it.

ROFLUTION

Well, if CAS said Simon Pierce was reliable and therefore no reason to punish city, this new post CAS-verdict info from Mail on Sunday / Spiegel should render him unreliable and see him actually involved in all of this. If that's what they based their verdict on, surely this contradicts it completely.

Don't know how CAS operates when new info contradicts a previous verdict though? Anyone? Any previous cases?

Josep Dowling

If they have cheated which we have known for years they have, it's about time something was done.
I hope all the links to the papers are being sent everywhere. Ideally be plastered all over twitter, Facebook, Instagram, it has to be trending.
Every game when City play the fans should shout cheat or start a chant about it, would make things interesting for the players and Pep.
They won’t. Why do you think fans aren’t that bothered? Because they were happy for someone to knock United from the top even if it was done unethically.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I always thought their "sponsorship" deals broke certain rules in the "real" world too, surely its fraud to artificially inflate a sponsorship deal between the companies that you're involved with, money laundering was carried out right in front of our faces and I'm amazed they haven't faced any consequences as of yet.

Still, a slap on the wrist will be the outcome here.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The Premier League also didn't want this to come out in the press. They joined City in appealing the decision.

b20times

Weird how this comes out less than 24hrs after the sun(I know) has a front page exclusive that kane is going to Man City.

This is old news I'm afraid and as much as everyone wants the book thrown at them they've already had their punishment.

Adisa

Weird how this comes out less than 24hrs after the sun(I know) has a front page exclusive that kane is going to Man City.

This is old news I'm afraid and as much as everyone wants the book thrown at them they've already had their punishment.
The courts just removed the gag order. Just a coincidence.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I always thought their "sponsorship" deals broke certain rules in the "real" world too, surely its fraud to artificially inflate a sponsorship deal between the companies that you're involved with, money laundering was carried out right in front of our faces and I'm amazed they haven't faced any consequences as of yet.

Yup, financial doping in football is the least of the problems here. The clear and obvious financial crime is money laundering.

ROFLUTION

In that aspect, a lot of Chelsea's big money transfers to China some years ago should raise some red flags too. Too much money for their actual capabilities.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Wow the bitterness. Guys this is another non - starter. Another trolling by the media rehashing the same old stuff.

There's a reason non of this ends up in fines or bans or main media, and that's because it is clickbait designed to get lfc and utd fans excited and clicking.

You guys carry on though, like the CAS thread I'll come back and say told you so. But for now let the accusations and misinformation fly.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
This legal battle only covers quite old seasons I think. Doubt the UEFA CAS case gets opened again as E-mails won't be conclusive enough.

Pretty good chance City at least get retrospectively stripped of their premier league titles from 11/12 and 13/14....?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Wow the bitterness. Guys this is another non - starter. Another trolling by the media rehashing the same old stuff.

There's a reason non of this ends up in fines or bans or main media, and that's because it is clickbait designed to get lfc and utd fans excited and clicking.

You guys carry on though, like the CAS thread I'll come back and say told you so. But for now let the accusations and misinformation fly.
It’s clearly not though as it’s on going and they had a gagging order not to talk about it. It’s not like they’re just talking out their behinds for no reason.

I understand why you have to believe it’s nothing, but it really isn’t.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It’s really interesting that this is the conclusion that you would come to.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

Mate, they were literally not able to say anything about it till now. Plus, that 'misinformation' is anything but, it's literally there in black and white.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
why were the Mail gagged?
Because City's owners claimed reports of the issues would lead to a poor outlook on City and may affect player acquisitions etc.
Basically they don't want to look like the bad guys in public.

RedChisel

Shameless and delusional! How you Gremlins can have any pride in that horrible football of yours is beyond me. You are the Lance Armstrong of Football.

stevoc

Im not a lawyer but can't City just go to court and get rid of FFP? FFP is breaching the open Market Rules and probably 50 other laws.

So in the end nothing will happen
Is that your expert legal opinion?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Shameless and delusional! How you Gremlins can have any pride in that horrible football of yours is beyond me. You are the Lance Armstrong of Football.
Are all City fans this delusional on what is clearly happening with their club? I can understand the hive mentality tbh, i.e. when Suarez went all racist on Evra and we just refused to accept it. A shameful time for us/me. :(

I suppose, over time, City fans will also admit and then admonish this part of their history.

Adisa

This post shows you have no clue what is going on. Go and read. The papers were barred from disclosing an "ongoing" investigation.

Red_Aaron

Without even making any comment on the specifics of this case its so sad that our judicial system can be drawn out to such an extent that in almost 3 years no actual progress has been made with regards to the principle matter.

Lawyers paid by the day amounts which the average Joe hopes to earn in a year with the sole aim of spoiling and muddying and making a mockery of the case at hand. Its actually quite sickening, is this what the world has come to? The wealthy riding roughshod over a countries attempts to uphold a legal system? I suppose that's what you get with dictators though huh, they believe they're above the law

I don't have a massive issue with the sporting achievements, the players on the pitch delivered the trophies and I'd be reluctant to take their medals away, they're nothing but pawns exploiting the opportunity to earn over and above. It's similar for the the fans too, they're ignorant or gullible idiots who just want to experience the pleasure sport brings them, it's a short life after all.

By the time any actual case is heard I doubt anyone will give enough of a feck to bother with a suitable punishment

cyberman

Using a high profile football team to launder money might be the stupidest method possible.
And it happens in all industries. According to Narcos, Escobar had the most profitable taxi company in the world with 3 second hand cars. Thats up there with the City fans posting throusands of times about how catching up to Utd revenue was totally normal.
Both as realistic as each other. City should have been struggling to match Chelseas revenue who are a better version of themselves but no, it was a sign of their global dominance

Tincanalley

Another element in play here is political. While I am sure the nation state/City has carefully greased Tory wheels, there is now the prospect of independent regulation.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-says-chair-of-fan-led-review-tracey-crouch?
That seems like a popular call for new football convert Boris. Add in the current anxiety about clubs failing, fan discontent, and it’s possible to imagine the FA seeing this as an opportunity to lay down a marker. I guess time will tell…