City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

RedRocket9908

That's the point though isn't it?

Everybody already knows that there's no way a club like that can genuinely have a bigger revenue than the biggest clubs in Europe.
Indeed, that article is a year old so figures and from before City won the treble and there is no way a club City's size can turnover anywhere near that much and definately almost 30m more than a club like Real Madrid who make millions from shirt sales and merchandise alone thanks to their huge global following.

Swedish_Plumber

I hate that it’s clear to absolutely everyone in football what’s gone on with them. It makes the inevitable slap on the wrist that much harder to take.

I actually sympathise with Liverpool fans who’ve lost out on major success due to them, as funny as we all like to say it is. At least we’ve been utter shite and they haven’t really denied us too much. Can’t imagine how we’d all be feeling if we were in Liverpool’s shoes.

Considering how bitter I’m coming across here it would probably be unbearable :lol:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I hate that it’s clear to absolutely everyone in football what’s gone on with them. It makes the inevitable slap on the wrist that much harder to take.

I actually sympathise with Liverpool fans who’ve lost out on major success due to them, as funny as we all like to say it is. At least we’ve been utter shite and they haven’t really denied us too much. Can’t imagine how we’d all be feeling if we were in Liverpool’s shoes.

Considering how bitter I’m coming across here it would probably be unbearable :lol:
Liverpool and ourselves have both been denied three titles each by City since the takeover. Arsenal one.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What conspiracies do you think are afoot or commentary you think isn't feasible?

Money>* this is the way of the world, and if billions of pounds are on the line, you don't think an intervention or some kind of wrangling to prevent that from happening cannot/will not occur?

Money>*. What more is there to it than that?
The primary one is the idea that City can buy their way out of any proven allegations. Second is the idea that City will put pressure on the UK government to put pressure on the PL to put pressure on the PL independent panel to find City not guilty, in a way that doesn't rob City and the PL of any credibility in the eyes of the public

As long as we're acknowledging that they are conspiracy theories and not anything based in actual fact, then what's wrong with a little conspiracy fun right?

Arsenal have been royally fecked by City too though, when they had to tighten their purse strings due to the new stadium, City started poaching their players. That set that back years and turned them into a secondary club.
Then after almost 15 years trying by normal means of struggling to get back, they finally see a chance of a league again but who is there to stop them with their “cough cough nothing to see here” **50 million** pound goal machine.

Swedish_Plumber

Liverpool and ourselves have both been denied three titles each by City since the takeover. Arsenal one.
Arsenal have been royally fecked by City too though, when they had to tighten their purse strings due to the new stadium, City started poaching their players. That set that back years and turned them into a secondary club.
Then after almost 15 years trying by normal means of struggling to get back, they finally see a chance of a league again but who is there to stop them with their “cough cough nothing to see here” **50 million** pound goal machine.
Both fair points. It actually raises the point of why clubs haven’t done more to push the agenda.
Would be nice to see football clubs try and wrestle back some sort of control over where things are clearly heading. Although the owners of these clubs also clearly want the money from a super league/franchised sport so maybe that answers my question.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The primary one is the idea that City can buy their way out of any proven allegations. Second is the idea that City will put pressure on the UK government to put pressure on the PL to put pressure on the PL independent panel to find City not guilty, in a way that doesn't rob City and the PL of any credibility in the eyes of the public

As long as we're acknowledging that they are conspiracy theories and not anything based in actual fact, then what's wrong with a little conspiracy fun right?
So let me ask you straight up: what percentage likelihood do you think there is of these things being improbable?

adexkola

Supports
So let me ask you straight up: what percentage likelihood do you think there is of these things being improbable?
Oh I don't think it's impossible. Stranger things have certainly happened.

Without concrete evidence my baseline is to assign a possibility of 1% to 5%.

Money as a lubricant only goes so far. It's not like the other side (19 clubs, fans, MPs) are powerless here.

sangria

Money as a lubricant only goes so far. It's not like the other side (19 clubs, fans, MPs) are powerless here.
City only need 5, not 19.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I don't know if you have the UK or its government as paragons of virtue, or if that's your personal belief. The amount of scandalous, money-grabbing behaviour they have overseen or partaken in leaves them with no benefit of the doubt this side of the pond.

We're talking about the kind of money that dwarves football here; the UK government are not intervening giving a single feck about those 19 12? clubs or whatever stance they wish to take, which is one of the perils of an extremely rich state owning a football club.

The bolded has to have been put in for own personal amusement, surely? :smirk:

RedRocket9908

Not sure who else they can appeal to. Directly to the FA?
If they are gound guilty by the independant panel and decide to appeal the indepenfant chair of the panel will dismiss the panel that found them guilty then select a new panel who will review the appeal, if the 2nd panel uphold the guilty verdict then that decision is final and City will have to accept it and there is no possible way for them to appeal a 2nd time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I have till November till I'm off to a Boreham Wood forum, I'll miss you guys.

adexkola

Supports
I don't know if you have the UK or its government as paragons of virtue, or if that's your personal belief. The amount of scandalous, money-grabbing behaviour they have overseen or partaken in leaves them with no benefit of the doubt this side of the pond.

We're talking about the kind of money that dwarves football here; the UK government are not intervening giving a single feck about those 19 12? clubs or whatever stance they wish to take, which is one of the perils of an extremely rich state owning a football club.

The bolded has to have been put in for own personal amusement, surely? :smirk:
:angel:

Do you see most non-City fans just accepting it? Look at what happened with the Super League nonsense.

DavelinaJolie

The most annoying part about the radio silence from the PL/City regarding this case is the gap in information being filled by nonsense conspiracy theories amongst casual fans and journalists that has been accepted as fact by most if not all.
The Athletic Football Podcast covered this quite well today, I thought.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can someone explain to me am i understanding City case;
City is charged. But they refuse to give books. So now they need to be forced by the court to give books. But their legal dream is delaying that shit. So are they charged or just investigated?

I am completely lost in their case. I would be very grateful if someone explain that to me.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
City is charged. But they refuse to give books. So now they need to be forced by the court to give books. But their legal dream is delaying that shit. So are they charged or just investigated?

I am completely lost in their case. I would be very grateful if someone explain that to me.
@adexkola you're up! :angel:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but:

They've got about 110 charges for actual dodgy shit up to about 2018, and then another 4 or 5 for refusing to cooperate with documents, information, etc. for the seasons after, which I'm assuming could turn into more charges again.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

Man City's commercial income trebled from around £40m in 2011 to around £120m in 2012. No other club has ever recorded growth like it. Clearest red flag of money laundering you're likely to see in a football club's books.

The PL knew what City were up to at the time but turned a blind eye to it as they saw it as commercially advantageous for the wider brand to disrupt the United, Chelsea and Arsenal monopoly on titles.

The PL announced the charges two days before the government's white paper on independent football regulation. I don't believe a 5 year investigation concluded in perfect timing with this watershed moment for football governance by mere coincidence.

The PL have been forced into investigating City's cheating, but now the cat is out of the bag, I expect they are both feet in as their self governance depends upon it.

Expulsion from the EPL is virtually guaranteed. City have literally been actively frustrating the investigation for over 5 years. I don't see a way back for them. The only question is whether it'll be permanent or time-limited expulsion. Time limited is so complicated. Do the EFL accept them in to their structure? If so, they've got to go to the bottom as mid tier will displace teams. If it's permanent EPL expulsion, can the EFL even accept them knowing they can't promote them from the Championship.

Either way, it'll be fun to watch this cancer of the game be systematically dismantled, knowing all their achievements will be asterisked out.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Hearing, trial, verdict, appeals and so on... Any rules in the UK about time frames in a case like this?
They cannot do that in a meaningful fashion owing to the way the PL's rules are written. If they get relegated then try to go to a court to get it overturned, it will be thrown out. This is why City have been dragging their heels so much as they know they're fecked if they get found guilty and are punished accordingly. This can also be seen with how they allowed the UEFA punishment to come down, then appealed it.

sangria

5 what? Or 5 to do what?
You need 3/4 to expel. So 15/20. City won't vote to punish themselves. So they need just 5 others to protect them. Chelsea and Newcastle will vote on their side, being fellow sportswashers. So they just need backhanders to persuade 3 other clubs. Once they've got that, they're safe.

sangria

Man City's commercial income trebled from around £40m in 2011 to around £120m in 2012. No other club has ever recorded growth like it. Clearest red flag of money laundering you're likely to see in a football club's books.

The PL knew what City were up to at the time but turned a blind eye to it as they saw it as commercially advantageous for the wider brand to disrupt the United, Chelsea and Arsenal monopoly on titles.

The PL announced the charges two days before the government's white paper on independent football regulation. I don't believe a 5 year investigation concluded in perfect timing with this watershed moment for football governance by mere coincidence.

The PL have been forced into investigating City's cheating, but now the cat is out of the bag, I expect they are both feet in as their self governance depends upon it.

Expulsion from the EPL is virtually guaranteed. City have literally been actively frustrating the investigation for over 5 years. I don't see a way back for them. The only question is whether it'll be permanent or time-limited expulsion. Time limited is so complicated. Do the EFL accept them in to their structure? If so, they've got to go to the bottom as mid tier will displace teams. If it's permanent EPL expulsion, can the EFL even accept them knowing they can't promote them from the Championship.

Either way, it'll be fun to watch this cancer of the game be systematically dismantled, knowing all their achievements will be asterisked out.
I think that, all other punishments having been concluded, they should still be barred from the PL for one year for each year that they've refused to cooperate. That's at least 5 years and counting.

caid

I have till November till I'm off to a Boreham Wood forum, I'll miss you guys.
Do you still enjoy watching them or is there a sense of impending doom? Must be kind of weird place to be in as a supporter

honirelandboy

Could Ole and Jose get a title? I think they will be relegated to league three but could any previous trophies be taken away?

MonkeysMagic

Abu Dhabi exert too much influence on the UK gov and their mates in the defence industry that have tens of billions worth of contracts so I can see this 'being brushed under the carpet' and a paultry fine to follow.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

I think that, all other punishments having been concluded, they should still be barred from the PL for one year for each year that they've refused to cooperate. That's at least 5 years and counting.
It's now 15 years of corruption and financial doping. Who beats that longevity of cheating in sports?

Russian state sponsored PED doping is only one?