"City have more fans in Manchester than United"

Crustanoid

That is a myth and there are still more United fans in Manchester / Salford etc, but elsewhere regionally there are more City fans, particularly young ones. The City fans at my workplace have become far more vocal recently and bang on about world domination, and will always gloat over any trophies during meetings in a joke but not joke kind of way. City also do a lot more outreach in the city-region with kids so there will be more CIty fans than Unite fans one day. This all comes back to the owners of the two clubs and how they operate.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Before I started this new job (which has a mix of United and City fans), I met only 2 City fans in 3 years. Everyone I met through uni who were from Manchester, through working at Piccadilly station and then in Spinningfields, even through friends and their colleagues were United fans. I think I’ve posted about it on here before but from my experience of living in Manchester I can comfortably say there’s more United fans. Proofs in the pudding when I can easily think of 5 United pubs in the city centre and only 1 City pub.

Denis' cuff

That is a myth and there are still more United fans in Manchester / Salford etc, but elsewhere regionally there are more City fans, particularly young ones. The City fans at my workplace have become far more vocal recently and bang on about world domination, and will always gloat over any trophies during meetings in a joke but not joke kind of way. City also do a lot more outreach in the city-region with kids so there will be more CIty fans than Unite fans one day. This all comes back to the owners of the two clubs and how they operate.

Newsflash: they are bandwagon jumpers, (like most on here) not fans

Real, sustained support is founded over more than a couple of bought titles .

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's one of them stupid things BlueMoon & Twitter wankers (about 3% of them actually live in Manchester) had talked enough about, to the point where it seems like it's true. And then the "medias" reported them as clickbait news. Honorable mentions :
  1. Rags
  2. PiGMOL

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Newsflash: they are bandwagon jumpers, (like most on here) not fans
And kids.

Which shouldn't be underestimated. Successful teams do attract young followers and if the success is lasting, those kids won't jump on the next bandwagon before some kind of proper connection has been established. That's how it works.

Well, traditionally anyway. There's some reason to think that kids these days are more prone to follow individual players - rather than teams - than was the case back in the day. But still: look at Chelsea. They weren't a small team before Roman (they did have some history, and they did have a reasonably strong local support) - but on the global scale they were nothing to speak of (behind a number of English clubs with some history to their name). Now, they have a large world wide fan base (not compared to United or Liverpool - but compared to most teams). And that is all down to the "plastic" success they've enjoyed in the Abramovic era.

The "artificial" taint wears off over time. That will happen with City too - I'm sorry to say.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I went to school in Stockport in the 90s/00s. In my primary school, there were 4 City fans in my year (c. 80 people) and at high school, maybe 20 in the year (of c. 150).

Never understood this fans in Manchester thing. Their numbers have increased this decade but the attendance figures say it all, when a student can buy an ST for City for £120 but they still have 20,000 empty seats watching the best players in the world.

RedIan

A true fans team should be in their blood from childhood... doesnt matter If its Hyde United, Stockport, City or a big club like United. Who cares who have the most fans... its your team and you are there backing them through the good times and bad.......

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah it will be interesting to see because tbf to their horrible owners they've done a fantastic job in the local community. United do a lot of work too but not with the same commitment and money as City I don't feel. It's one of the reasons I don't hate City even though they have more than their fair share of complete gimps in the fanbase.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Feels like I've read this claim about every single city that has more than one (vaguely relevant) club. Though I suppose if trends aren't reversed this might actually become true at some point?!

https://e-space.mmu.ac.uk/12506/1/seasonticketreport - brown1.pdf

Think this is what you’re looking for OP.

Came out years ago and the findings then were as anyone who has grown up in the area knew already:

• United have more fans in Manchester.

• A random United fan was less likely to be from Manchester than a random City fan. Obviously, cause United have supporters all over the World, back then City didn’t.

Stupid myth perpetuated by a yoyoing fans base who’s biggest heroes were Shaun Goater & Paul Dickov

TheReligion

Abusive
City don't even fill their stadium. You can see that each week with your own two eyes. It's obvious they don't have as many fans in Manchester or anywhere else for that matter.