CL secured but still lots of work to be done. What positions do we need to improve this summer/autumn?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We got the same kind of opportunity we did when we finished 2nd under Mourinho and we all know how that ended. At the time we chose not to invest. Now we need to take the opportunity to invest and create a competing squad that can challenge for the title. We can't just have a good starting XI that will tire out by December. This summer window will tell whether we move forward or regress again. It's all up to the board and Woodward.

MichaelRed

Crazy everyone is replacing Lindelof. Maguire gives me the willys more than Lindelof.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
As good as you saying Zlatan won’t score 10 goals for us. Or was it 5? Clown.
We got the same kind of opportunity we did when we finished 2nd under Mourinho and we all know how that ended. At the time we chose not to invest. Now we need to take the opportunity to invest and create a competing squad that can challenge for the title. We can't just have a good starting XI that will tire out by December. This summer window will tell whether we move forward or regress again. It's all up to the board and Woodward.
chose not to invest?
We spent 75 odd million. He just signed shite.

OleBoiii

The first XI is good enough to challenge for the title imo, but that's not enough. There are 5 subs per game and there will be injuries.

This should be the priority:

1. RW
2. DM
3. CB

Bojan11

Ideally 5 players in maybe possible loan deals and 5 out.

I think more big clubs will use the loan system due to Covid. Would be great if we could get a fullback on loan.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
GK, CB, Pogba backup and a quality one, Bruno backup and a quality one, Sancho

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
chose not to invest?
No but you didn’t support Jose, for all his faults, withthe same veracity, as say hating on him. That makes you a shite fan in my book.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Henderson (loan ending), Zakaria, Grealish, Sancho and a CB. Zakaria would also be able to play both DM and CB.
Think I'd go for the same as this.

Lindelof has been great since the restart, but he should be pushing for a place rather than having no one challenging him.

Grealish I'm not sold on, but as a back up 10 we could do much worse.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
No but you didn’t support Jose, for all his faults, with the same veracity, that makes you a shite fan in my book.
There is Rogers who’d obviously be interested in managing Manchester United.
I’m absolutely positive Rogers would come to United just as he left Celtic mid-season. Despite our problems upstairs, there is no comparison between opportunity managing United Leicester, with all due respect to Leicester and I admire at what they’re doing there.
Regardless of the result -- he has to be sacked. We're absolutely fecking diabolical in terms of tactics. I mean it's a cake walk for Villa. They got undone by brilliant cross and actually did their best to gift us chances via mings and Heaton fecking about. Otherwise, we lack any coherence whatsoever. Our attack is like Ozzy Osbourne of football -- a gibbering fecking mess.
In my opinion LVG had energy. He was off his seat all the time. I even seem to recall him falling to the ground when trying to prove a point to 4th official. Also he was quite a character in an of it self. Ole, like Moyes is just gormless looking. Jose was just fecking toxic. I can't believe I'm saying this but Vangle was my favourite overall manager since Sir Alex.
No but you didn’t support Jose, for all his faults, with the same veracity, that makes you a shite fan in my book.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Henderson and Laird from within to come into the squad. Maybe Tuanzebe, although I have less hope from him.

I think we need more in midfield too. A new defensive midfielder. A LB would be nice and of course, another forward.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@Wumminator
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what I’ve said. A lot of people will not agree with my opinions. One thing you cannot say is that I didn’t give a manager a chance to coach this team. Check my previous account. Check this account. Every manager gets their support. You hoped Man Utd would fail under Mourinho. Anyway it’s the last post I’m writing to you. You’re an absolute whopper. On ignore.

Virgil

Nah to hell with another CB we are desperately in need of a fullback who can get to the byline and deliver a cross as in days of old. Shaw looked promising in the early days to make the grade unfortunately that bad injury put paid to that. A replacement DM as Matic has not got the legs for a full season is a must as well.

Last edited:

ovoxo

Henderson (loan ending), Zakaria, Grealish, Sancho and a CB. Zakaria would also be able to play both DM and CB.
Spot on here.

I think Henderson will stay at Sheffield United but I’d like him to come back to compete.

I’d like a left footed centre back to allow us better balance when we go 3 at the back (make myself sound like LVG there) Pau Torres/Gabriel are the only that come to mind who we’ve been linked with.

That’d be around £200m which I mean, if we were serious we’d try and go out and spend and recoup around £50m from sales. However, the Covid situation has probably changed that. I think a DM will wait to next summer unfortunately.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
chose not to invest?
Wasn't it when we signed Fred and Dalot? There were rumors that he he wanted Maguire and others at the time. Throughout the following season and even during preseason he voiced his discontent at the lack of transfer activity.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Wasn't it when we signed Fred and Dalot? There were rumors that he he wanted Maguire and others at the time. Throughout the following season and even during preseason he voiced his discontent at the lack of transfer activity.
No he didn’t. He signed Sanchez, Fred and Dalot and insisted multiple times he was happy.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is the first time in a long, long time since we have an established first eleven, so it makes it easier to set priorities:

First team players:
Right Wing is priority. I have full trust in AWB if we can get some proper attacking player in front of him.

DM would be second. Some energetic but also experienced midfielder would be nice.

Not convinced with De Gea so it's a bonus task.

Backup:
Left back (see nothing special in Wilson) and CB.

Another positive thing from this season is it seems Ole knows which players are not up to United standards and should be sold so it might give us some cash (mostly wages though).

AneRu

Spot on here.

I think Henderson will stay at Sheffield United but I’d like him to come back to compete.

I’d like a left footed centre back to allow us better balance when we go 3 at the back (make myself sound like LVG there) Pau Torres/Gabriel are the only that come to mind who we’ve been linked with.

That’d be around £200m which I mean, if we were serious we’d try and go out and spend and recoup around £50m from sales. However, the Covid situation has probably changed that. I think a DM will wait to next summer unfortunately.
If we postpone a decision on the DM we will regret but it won't hurt as much since McTominay can do the job though not to the highest standard.

MrSingh2002

Out - Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Mata, Sanchez

In - Upamecamo, Left Back, Sancho and Grealish (squad player)

Jev

We're not gonna buy a new goalkeeper unless we find a buyer for DDG, which I don't see happening considering his wages. We have three good goalkeepers in the squad and should let them battle it out, starting on even terms.

An improvement over Lindelöf is a long-term priority but for me not a priority this summer. What we've seen these past few weeks is that we're too reliant on our attacking starters, so I'd prioritise attacking width over a new CB starter. If we could snatch Ake at a decent price, that might be worth it. Otherwise we have a decent CB pair and good width.

One or two FB covers, preferably one player who can play on both sides, although I don't have a name in mind. With Shaw's injury-proneness and Wan-Bissaka still learning, we could do with more width on the left, and more competition on the right. So at least one full-back would be my first signing.

A new defensive midfielder is another priority.
Someone with the calmness, intelligence and passing range of Matic to control the tempo, which Fred and McTominay can't do. Preferably young and therefore affordable, as I believe Matic is good enough to start next season.

An all-round attacking player to provide width and competition for Bruno and the wingers. We definitely need an alternative to Bruno, who has been tired and terrible lately, but we haven't had a proper alternative. Jack Grealish fits the bill perfectly in my opinion.

We also need a cheap backup striker if Ighalo leaves.

And that's it for me. I personally don't think we need to spend 100 million on Sancho when we have Greenwood coming through. He looks more than ready to be a starter. If we save the money on Sancho, maybe we could spend a bit more on a backup striker that is better, younger, more exciting, and capable of playing multiple attacking positions, thus giving us the attacking width (new backup striker + Grealish) that I see as our biggest weakness right now).

PoTMS

Van Der Beek (£30m)
Rice (£50m)
Sancho (£80m)
Henderson (Recall)

peridigm

It's probably easier to state where we're sorted for starter and cover but I'll follow the trend.

We're at least one player short in attack (RW). Two if you're counting #10/AM position, AKA where Bruno plays. We could bring in a quality CF for backup or to rotate with Martial/Greenwood if Sancho comes in. Martial/Rashford can rotate the LW too.
We're short a quality DM. Fred is too inconsistent. Matic is slow. Played well for the most part post lockdown but not fit enough to be our starting DM come September. I really hope we can bring in someone else. I think Pogba is wasted in that position.
We're short at both FB. We need good cover for Shaw and AWB. Williams is okay but Shaw really grew into the season and he was a big miss the last few games.
We're short a quality CB or if Maguire/Lindelof are it, we're short quality cover.
I think DDG is pretty safe this summer at least. Even if we bring back Henderson. Too many other issues that need dealt with unfortunately. Can't see is spending any money on a GK for at least a couple of years unless DDG want to move on. Then we may buy someone young to partner Henderson.

How many is that? 5 or 6 needed for starters and cover?

I'd be happy as a pig in shit with Sancho, Grealish, and a CB this window.

Gavinb33

Right winger
Centre back
Defensive midfielder
Midfielder that can be a deep playmaker and also play 10 role
Striker

Thats the wishlist, what the board need to think about is if they are going to look at these players over the next 4 windows anyways they may as well take the plunge and pull the trigger on all of them now and have a right go at the league next term.

Further to this I can see us getting rid of between 6 to 7 players as well.

MadMike

Feck me this is hard to pick. We need to add so much more quality depth and competition for positions.

The obvious is a player that can play on the wings to compete with and cover for Greenwood/Rashford. Lingard needs to go and James should be last resort until he improves.

Next, we could really use a player on each position across the defence. We don't have decent cover/competition for either Shaw or AWB and the latter is leaving me very unconvinced. He's a good defender but on the ball, he makes Mike Smalling look like prime Beckenbauer. He needs competition. And on CB, with Bailly, Jones, Rojo being perennially injured or unavailable, I would shift them all out and bring a reliable CB to challenge Lindelof.

Midfield we could add quality as well, but with Matic extended and Fred/McT capable covers and Bruno/Pogba adding the creativity...we're good as any and have plenty of depth. So it's not a priority for me.

fps

Aside from getting Sancho a midfielder and maybe one more, my big disappointment is presumably there will be a lack of pre season really to work on certain things. Next season will be a slog for the players.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
  1. Need rid of crap AMs (Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Sanchez)
  2. Need new AMs (Sancho, Grealish, Buendia)
  3. Need Ndidi

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think most people are not aware how difficult it will be to get a DM who will suit us. A perfect signing would be someone in the mould of prime Kante, covering every inch of grass. I don't expect Pogba to put in shift defensively, what means we demand too much of Matic currently (for the record, I think he's doing a great job).

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
GK - De Gea is going to be our #1 next season so there's no point in bringing anyone else in unless Deano wants another season on loan and Romero wants to leave.
RB - AWB is a nailed on starter, but Ole obviously doesn't trust Dalot and doesn't seem to think Laird is ready for the step up yet, wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a fullback who can cover both sides comfortably. Max Aarons might be a decent shout.
CB - Lindelof had a decent season, and Harry will always play when fit, but because of the presumptive impending departures of Smalling, Rojo, and Jones, as well as the continuing injury problems surrounding Bailly, we will probably bring in at least 1 defender, maybe 2. Nathan Ake would be an excellent rotation option and Dayot Upamecano has a 60 million euro release clause.
LB - Shaw has proven himself again this season, and Brandon is an exciting backup to have, unless we bring in Alex Telles out of concern with Shaws injury problems.
DM - Matic had a good season, but he's not able to play 60 games a year, he was back running on fumes at times after lockdown and a young, dynamic 6 is probably a key target this year. Idrissa Gueye is another option as he seems to be available from PSG, how much of an upgrade he'd be remains to be seen.

Do the other half later

SungSam7

Gk, cb, dm, RW, someone who can cover LW

A young lb to compete with shaw would be nice

But we obviously aren’t doing all that in one go
But why cant we? Why cant we as a club scout the talent throughout the season and have them signed by the end of the season ready for when the window opens?
Chelsea have done this on 3 occasions in recent times, Timo Werner, Ziyech and Pulsic!

Why is it that the club seems to wait till the last week of the window to actually see some movement when clubs know we are desperate??

If you contact a club for a player early before the window opens, you get the upper hand, you make the player unsettled, if he wants to come he pushes the transfer, the club doesnt have the time to pressure United for a high price since they must deal with this player for over 2 months or so. If United move onto another player, there is a high chance said club will have an unhappy and demoralised player on the books. Very rare would you get a club stick by their guns unless it's the case of Marhez and Leicester City. We are just too casual with everything it seems.

Pennywise

it's clear when you look at our bench that we're a million miles away squad wise from what we need. We need a LB, a CB, a DM, right winger and a striker
All have to be good enough to be starters and then we can talk about having a squad capable of going for the top prizes