CL: Two-legged semi-finals to be scrapped?

Oranges038

This sounds like making the games secondary to the overall experience.

Whole thing should be done as an open draw same as the FA Cup.

Pronewbie

Peep
UEFA Champions League Finals Saudi Arabia 2026.
I can see this format gaining a ton of traction. UEFA, Clubs, Sponsors and Tourism Boards will be delighted with the uptick in commercial revenue. This will also allow them to slot in an extra few weeks of CL games as part of the Swiss format.

Siorac

At the moment, there's undue advantage to the home team in the 2nd leg if after 180 minutes there's a draw. They get an extra 30 in their own stadium with their own crowd. The only way to circumvent this is to have one-off games in neutral stadiums, just like in 2020.
An easier way to circumvent is to just go to penalties after 180 minutes. No need for extra time in the second leg.

Teja

Is this just so city's can bribe uefa with more money to host it?
This, but I wouldn't mind it. I live in the US and would totally travel to Dubai / Abu Dhabi or wherever for a week to watch both the CL SFs + the finals.

Bobade

At the moment, there's undue advantage to the home team in the 2nd leg if after 180 minutes there's a draw. They get an extra 30 in their own stadium with their own crowd. The only way to circumvent this is to have one-off games in neutral stadiums, just like in 2020.

Had it been the other way around, we'd all be crying foul (pun intended) about why one of the teams gets potentially 30 minutes more game time in their favour.

Also, people already deciding that because it's getting "americanized" with the super bowl analogy and whatever... I don't see what's wrong with it? All you hear about it is circular logic, "it's bad because it's bad" kind of conversation.
Are you just going to ignore all the posts where people have explained why it is bad ?