Television Clarkson's Farm

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
This season contains a meeting with neighbouring farmers. Doesn't get more real to show how hard the economic situation is. So while Clarkson doesn't have to deal with that personally, the show does include this as well.

Great to know. I'm glad he's showing the real side of farming.

I'll be giving it a watch later on today or tomorrow.

F-Red

This season contains a meeting with neighbouring farmers. Doesn't get more real to show how hard the economic situation is. So while Clarkson doesn't have to deal with that personally, the show does include this as well.
Agree with this, this scene is particularly stark of the challenges faced by farmers post Brexit.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Binge watched all of the second season today.

Decent season, not as good as the first season I thought. A lot of time dragged out on some of the more side stories like the council elements. Interesting to see if it gets a third season.
It won’t be getting a third season with Amazon. They’ve dropped him after his comments about Megan Markel. I doubt anyone else will go near him either.

hobbers

It won’t be getting a third season with Amazon. They’ve dropped him after his comments about Megan Markel. I doubt anyone else will go near him either.
It will be, already renewed.

He already had that lined up and I think 4 more Grand Tour specials. Then Amazon will finish with him.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
He’s a prick but it sure is good tv.

like how in the first episode of the new season they showed how much brexit fecked over farmers and as usual the tories didn’t make good on their promises.
Tickles me that there was a bit debate on him being a ‘Tory cnut’ somewhere on here, then 3 minutes into the new season he’s bashing them.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It was renewed for a third season before the second season even aired. So definitely coming back. Also, Amazon appeals to an international audience. Here in the US, for example, no one has a clue about his MM comments. Didn’t make news here at all. So while I am sure those comments will weigh into discussions about future seasons, it may not weigh as heavily as you think.

lsd

The Oracle
They are already filming season 3 and I suspect there will be more as he is a money spinner for Amazon and they know it.

He appears to know that this time he really is on his last warning and is in full damage control.

However as long as he makes shows that people want to watch he will always have someone lining up to pay him.

I read a review in the independent which sums up a lot of opinions about him.

They said this series is brilliant but please don't give him the pleasure of watching it and enjoying it

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It was renewed for a third season before the second season even aired. So definitely coming back. Also, Amazon appeals to an international audience. Here in the US, for example, no one has a clue about his MM comments. Didn’t make news here at all. So while I am sure those comments will weigh into discussions about future seasons, it may not weigh as heavily as you think.
Yeah someone else mentioned that. I read it somewhere that it wasn’t getting another series but if they’ve already signed and sealed then fair enough. Is it popular in the US?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I have a feeling Amazon are just waiting for the storm to blow over before quietly forgetting all about it. They haven’t clarified one way or another, and by the time they renew for season 4 we’ll be months down the line and nobody will care anymore.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yeah someone else mentioned that. I read it somewhere that it wasn’t getting another series but if they’ve already signed and sealed then fair enough. Is it popular in the US?
As I understood that means that there won't be another season after season three.

And probably that would be a good thing as I don't really see how many new stuff there is Clarkson could try and be hilariously bad at. I did enjoy season two, but this is the big question mark for me - where to go from here?

2 man midfield

Whatever you think about Clarkson his local council are utter, power-tripping wankers.
Yep. I thought clarkson spoke very well, and getting the local struggling businesses on board meant they’d be stupid to refuse. Didn’t stop them though.

Have to say though, what’s the point in having a council if 500 grand means you can just get the Secretary of State to overrule?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Have to say though, what’s the point in having a council if 500 grand means you can just get the Secretary of State to overrule?
You don't have a guarantee that the Secretary of State overrules the council, it might still decide the same way the council did.

Drawfull

You don't have a guarantee that the Secretary of State overrules the council, it might still decide the same way the council did.
I know it's a lot of cash, but I was slightly surprised they didn't 'risk' it. The council's decision was obviously biased against Clarkson specifically - the project had 100% backing from all other involved parties - not to mention the pathetic police cones.

I'd love a behind-the-scenes outtake thing.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I know it's a lot of cash, but I was slightly surprised they didn't 'risk' it. The council's decision was obviously biased against Clarkson specifically - the project had 100% backing from all other involved parties - not to mention the pathetic police cones.

I'd love a behind-the-scenes outtake thing.
If I remember correctly they talked about it being an up to 18 months process and them simply needing a faster solution for their products.

klayton88

I've finished season 2 already. What a brilliant show. Knew nothing of farming beforehand and have such a respect for all involved in farming.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I missed that; I heard 'three weeks' which they said pushed the cost up and thought that sounded optimistic!
I think that was the possible maximum duration of the hearings, but as they wouldn't have been immediately scheduled but would have to be prepared the whole process would have been much slower? Could be wrong though, it could quite late when I binge watched it...

2 man midfield

I know but even so, if the council can be overruled why even have one?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I know but even so, if the council can be overruled why even have one?
Why have local courts if the supreme court can overrule everything? It's the same principle, have small and simple local processes and only bother higher levels if necessary.

SirAF

Ageist
Made me wonder why badgers are so protected given the extent of the havoc/destruction they can cause. Is it just on a humane level?
I’m intrigued now.

Badgers and their setts (burrows) are protected under the Protection of Badgers Act 1992. This makes it an offence to kill or take a badger, to cruelly ill-treat a badger, or to interfere with a badger sett, including disturbing a badger while it is occupying a sett.
Exceptions to the Badgers Act

A person is not guilty of an offence under this Act by reason only of—

(a)taking or attempting to take a badger which has been disabled otherwise than by his[F1 unlawful ] act and is taken or to be taken solely for the purpose of tending it[F2 and releasing it when no longer disabled ];

(b)killing or attempting to kill a badger which [F3appears to be so seriously injured or in such a condition that to kill it would be an act of mercy][F3 has been so seriously disabled otherwise than by his unlawful act that there was no reasonable chance of it recovering ];

(c)unavoidably killing or injuring a badger as an incidental result of a lawful action;

(d)doing anything which is authorised under the M1Animals (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986.

Aaand according to Badger Trust:

Unlike most native wildlife protections in Britain, the Protection of Badgers Act was initiated due to the unprecedented levels of species-targeted persecution faced by these unassuming nocturnal mammals.

Maroon Lucifer

Just binged season 2. Holy hell it must be exhausting living amongst Vogons. I really hope it's not like this in all of England, for your sanity.
...surely it can't be like this. It has to be personal against Clarkson.

Good TV though

tomaldinho1

Just binged season 2. Holy hell it must be exhausting living amongst Vogons. I really hope it's not like this in all of England, for your sanity.
...surely it can't be like this. It has to be personal against Clarkson.

Good TV though
I think it became clear it was fully specific to Clarkson by the end given Charlie's comment about the farm track request being denied. Planning permission in general though is a nightmare anywhere designated AONB so the initial issues re no restaurant and car park sadly are normal. I guess the flip side is on a busy day that road is completely clogged given it's so small, I think it was more down to that than anything else - unless Jeremy will bankroll building a new bus route or rural bypass.

1st season was a 9/10, this season a 7/10 for me. Still good and had some interesting new areas but the comedy side is largely from the same sources and I felt they'd manufactured the ending drama a bit (given there wasn't any) by implying in the editing that the choir was the council coming to the new barn and pushing the narrative they only had 2 days when it seems the council couldn't have done anything anyway.

2 man midfield

@tomaldinho1 I also thought it was strange they’d seemingly imposed themselves with a 2 day deadline for no apparent reason. It could’ve been 3, 5 or even 7 days - would it have made a difference? That email will be rotting in someone’s inbox for a fortnight before anyone even reads it! And even if the council did rush down there, what could they do about it? I thought the whole reason they were pressing ahead was they’d found a loophole the council couldn’t do anything about anyway.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think it became clear it was fully specific to Clarkson by the end given Charlie's comment about the farm track request being denied. Planning permission in general though is a nightmare anywhere designated AONB so the initial issues re no restaurant and car park sadly are normal. I guess the flip side is on a busy day that road is completely clogged given it's so small, I think it was more down to that than anything else - unless Jeremy will bankroll building a new bus route or rural bypass.

1st season was a 9/10, this season a 7/10 for me. Still good and had some interesting new areas but the comedy side is largely from the same sources and I felt they'd manufactured the ending drama a bit (given there wasn't any) by implying in the editing that the choir was the council coming to the new barn and pushing the narrative they only had 2 days when it seems the council couldn't have done anything anyway.
The council had a bit of League of Gentlemen about it. The farmers surrounding them are struggling but, no, you shall not open a business that will support them because it means adding a couple of lights (that we won't even see) and some gravel. Plus foreigners from down the road might come to the town, ew.

Clarkson is a Grade A Cnut, but realistically this doesn't financially benefit him. There's no way he'll make money back on what it'll cost within his lifetime, and he'll be paid for the show regardless of there being a cafe. It does, however, have the possibility to save the livelihoods of some of these people's neighbours. But they don't give a shit because their romantic desire to live in 1860 overrides helping each other out.

tomaldinho1

The council had a bit of League of Gentlemen about it. The farmers surrounding them are struggling but, no, you shall not open a business that will support them because it means adding a couple of lights (that we won't even see) and some gravel. Plus foreigners from down the road might come to the town, ew.

Clarkson is a Grade A Cnut, but realistically this doesn't financially benefit him. There's no way he'll make money back on what it'll cost within his lifetime, and he'll be paid for the show regardless of there being a cafe. It does, however, have the possibility to save the livelihoods of some of these people's neighbours. But they don't give a shit because their romantic desire to live in 1860 overrides helping each other out.
I do believe councils are very difficult however I reckon we were probably mislead a bit for telly for the climax. No council is going to turn down a community coop and regeneration of a derelict building on the same site that is already buying/selling goods.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I do believe councils are very difficult however I reckon we were probably mislead a bit for telly for the climax. No council is going to turn down a community coop and regeneration of a derelict building on the same site that is already buying/selling goods.
Except if they hate you.

And it was reported even before Clarkson started farming, that he wasn't that well liked in the area (for example for blowing up the old farmhouse on the Grand Tour)

Drawfull

They did and they have. He's binned off the restaurant due to the council's opposition and just wants a car park for his farm shop.

tomaldinho1

They did and they have. He's binned off the restaurant due to the council's opposition and just wants a car park for his farm shop.
Haha no way, what a ridiculous decision if it was solely for AONB reasons. If it was something to do with safety etc. (given the floor from memory was made of pallets and the kitchen is about 1m x 3m :lol: ) then fair enough. I guess being such a knob through life really has come back to haunt him.

R'hllor

Haha no way, what a ridiculous decision if it was solely for AONB reasons. If it was something to do with safety etc. (given the floor from memory was made of pallets and the kitchen is about 1m x 3m :lol: ) then fair enough. I guess being such a knob through life really has come back to haunt him.
Its not hauting him one bit, thats the thing, doubt it touches his bottom line at all. Problem is, if that clown fiesta is true, they actually putting in jeopardy those normal farmers that losing potential income and are in danger to abandon it while in the same time wants farmers to exist to keep their view neat what not. Most wild decision was for them to forbid him to create his own farm road on his own land (if i understood correctly)

tomaldinho1

Its not hauting him one bit, thats the thing, doubt it touches his bottom line at all. Problem is, if that clown fiesta is true, they actually putting in jeopardy those normal farmers that losing potential income and are in danger to abandon it while in the same time wants farmers to exist to keep their view neat what not. Most wild decision was for them to forbid him to create his own farm road on his own land (if i understood correctly)
Yes but Charlie did say that’s specific to him so obviously other farmers in the area haven’t had those issues. I doubt he cares, he’s got an absolute surplus of wealth that he can throw away and he’s a thick skinned guy but if he was Sir David Attenborough and proposed the same, I could see it being a lot better received for example.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This is exactly what pissed me off about it.

cyberman

They’re filming season 3 as we speak and I already see spoilers reported as news.
I know people love Clarkson but here are legitimate concerns in and around that area due to the farm. Traffic on those narrow roads must be a nightmare alone. Places like that simply aren’t built for it

R'hllor

They’re filming season 3 as we speak and I already see spoilers reported as news.
I know people love Clarkson but here are legitimate concerns in and around that area due to the farm. Traffic on those narrow roads must be a nightmare alone. Places like that simply aren’t built for it
Thank God they fixed it by placing those no parking cones.

R'hllor

Yes but Charlie did say that’s specific to him so obviously other farmers in the area haven’t had those issues. I doubt he cares, he’s got an absolute surplus of wealth that he can throw away and he’s a thick skinned guy but if he was Sir David Attenborough and proposed the same, I could see it being a lot better received for example.
Maybe but not sure about it, their reasoning and views when it comes to certain aspects are just mental imo.