g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Claudio Ranieri facing the sack? | Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

At the time i thought sacking Jokanovic was a right decision, not so sure now, if he stayed, they would have more then decent chance to come back up after relegation. I feel they will make few wrong appointments and it will take them few years again until they find right man to bring them up.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
At the time i thought sacking Jokanovic was a right decision, not so sure now, if he stayed, they would have more then decent chance to come back up after relegation. I feel they will make few wrong appointments and it will take them few years again until they find right man to bring them up.
I really think Fulham would shoot right back up with the amount of talent in the squad.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Would he have the motivation to do that again....hmmhhh.

meninred

Ranieri succeeded @Leicester because almost Everything went right - Just Like any Success in life. Such a thing couldnot happen at Fulham. Luck only plays a small part.

Cloud7

Schurrle in an interview basically said he was too good to be in the Championship.
To be fair he is too good to be in the championship. He isn’t exactly a top drawer player, but he is much higher than that level.

Sylar

Ranieri succeeded @Leicester because almost Everything went right - Just Like any Success in life. Such a thing couldnot happen at Fulham. Luck only plays a small part.
I thought he just kept things going at Leicester from the previous regime
They had championship winning form when they survived relegation. Think he changed too much once he lost kante

For Fulham it was crazy how they seemed to get worse defensively and in terms of goals

stevoc

Ranieri sacked again.

Just how many times has this guy been sacked?

Must be at least 10-12 times he's been sacked or resigned before he got the boot now in his career and yet clubs keep hiring him.

Nick.

Ranieri sacked again.

Just how many times has this guy been sacked?

Must be at least 10-12 times he's been sacked or resigned before he got the boot now in his career and yet clubs keep hiring him.
We shouldn't hold it against managers for getting sacked these days, it's the name of the game.

jem

It's harsh to say given that he seems a lovely guy, but I think Ranieri is a bit of a fraud as a manager. Yes the Leicester miracle was amazing and no one can take that away from him, but he's presided over some awful sides in his career. Fulham have looked bereft of ideas, he was a shambles with Greece, and even the Leicester spell is a bit tarnished by how bad they were the following season (relegation-level bad.) I can't see him getting another EPL job.

stevoc

We shouldn't hold it against managers for getting sacked these days, it's the name of the game.
No of course not sometimes things don't work out for lots of reasons and a manager can get fired by a trigger happy chairmen etc. I can understand clubs taking a chance on a coach who has been fired 3-4 times.

But failing 10-12 times and getting sacked at almost every club he's managed going back 20 years and still getting hired by club after club is a bit baffling.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's harsh to say given that he seems a lovely guy, but I think Ranieri is a bit of a fraud as a manager. Yes the Leicester miracle was amazing and no one can take that away from him, but he's presided over some awful sides in his career. Fulham have looked bereft of ideas, he was a shambles with Greece, and even the Leicester spell is a bit tarnished by how bad they were the following season (relegation-level bad.) I can't see him getting another EPL job.
His career full of ups and downs, guess that's standard for a guy not quite top level doing it for 30 years. Before the miracle title win he was always known as a manager excellent at building good passing sides but ones who'd just choke at the final hurdle....

Fiorentina- 90s built a good team and won a cup.

Valencia- Fantastic first spell there. Built a really good team with likes of Mendieta and Claudio Lopez, won Copa Del Rey in 1999 and bulk of that side reached consecutive CL finals. His second spell was very much a disaster though!

Atletico Madrid- Awful. They had likes of Molina, Hasselbaink, Ruben Baraja, Valeron, Jose Mari and countless others I've forgotten and they got relegated, probably one of the best teams ever to be relegated from a european top division. Ranieri was sacked in the March of that season.

Chelsea- Not really sure how history judges his reign given all that Chelsea have achieved since. This was mostly pre Roman but they still spent loads of money yet won nothing and think they only made CL once in 2003 and the famous Liverpool game. Then 03/04 was going well until his bizarre tactics in the Monaco first leg, Hasselbaink right midfield?!:lol:

Parma- Actually this is forgotten but a very good achievement, he took over halfway through a season when they were in similar position to Fulham and kept them up, think it was 2007 so @Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 might give more info.

Juventus- Probably similar ish to Chelsea. Took over Juve when they'd only just comeback to Seria A and were very much in transition. Signings were a bit mediocre but he did get them back in CL although they never really challenged for the league. Inter were dominanting at that time.

Roma- Took over and they went on an amazing run and very nearly denied Inter their famous treble in 2010, came out of nowhere to lead Seria A with about 3 games to left but predictably messed up a winnable game and Inter nipped back in. They also lost Coppa Italia final to Inter that year.

Didn't he also pop up at Inter Milan for half a season? I can vaguely remember him there although no idea what season or how Inter did.

So basically that's his coaching precis. Ironically some better tactics in key games and he'd be seen as one of most overachieving managers in last 30 years e.g. won CL at Chelsea before they were expected to and also winning a Scudetto with Roma ahead of Mourinho and Inter adding to the Leicester miracle.

Leicester actually stands out as a bizarre anamoly in his career in for once he actually took over a ready made side rather than one he had to built/create and nothing went wrong as the season entered its final stretch, his tactics continued to work perfectly.

Edit: Just looked at his wiki and in all that missed out him having two years at Monaco (have no recall of that whatsoever) and he was at Nantes last season when they finished mid table.

Bojan11

They should have hired Big Sam originally.

Hate him or love him. But Big Sam would have established them as a prem team for a few seasons and then they could have looked for someone else.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
He is not wrong.
He's good at putting the ball in the back of the net under the right circumstances. If he were more than that he wouldn't be a Fulham and he'd be starting every game.

He's a shite defender...lateral movement is shite...and he's not one who wants to create an assist.

In the season I've watched him he comes across as a selfish player. I won't miss seeing him on the Whites next season.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers

Hate him or love him. But Big Sam would have established them as a prem team for a few seasons and then they could have looked for someone else.
No they shouldnt have. He's a sleezeball who believes in uglier football than the kind Jose tried to sell to United.

Fulham will get relegated, yet will have learned a serious lesson about the value of defense and having at least two decent defenders on the squad.

Slav and Tony Khan both learned a serious lesson. A lesson that would have been learned even if the Sleezeball had been picked instead of Claudio.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Big Sam shouldn't be allowed to manage at all anymore.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Cahill rejected Juventus, didn't he? Why would he go to Fulham?

They signed too many players in the summer and Jokanovic set them back with his stubborn principles. The side that got them up was essentially torn apart before the start of the season. They relied on them working out but removed the promotion team fighting spirit in the process. Cardiff still have a shot of staying up because of that (but also Brighton/Hughton's 2nd season syndrome)
Didn't hear about him turning down Juve, but if he did, it was probably partially due to not wanting to go to Italy, plus why would he move to another country just to be in the same situation he's in now and not playing? At a club like Fulham he would be the first name on the team sheet...

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

He was on Talksport yesterday, he was saying he hasnt any contact what so ever with any clubs since his last job.

Brazil mentioned that the he understood the likes of Pearce and Moyes where in the same position of having not had any contact since they last got the bullet.

It seem the world is coming to its senses at last.

Revaulx

Fulham looked almost Wolves- like towards the end of last season, utterly outclassed Derby in their play-off fixture, and looked like they had pretty much everything in place to mix it with the big boys in the PL, although their defence may have lacked experience. A couple of decent signings (Cahill is a good shout) and I’m sure they would have been fine.

Instead they decided to replace two thirds of the team, while ignoring the positions that actually needed strengthening. No surprise at all that they’ve struggled. A shame, as I’ve always found them a likeable club. Plus they deserve sympathy for having had that Michael Jackson “statue” foisted upon them.

Bojan11

Seriously Roma?

Why do clubs keep hiring him? The Leicester thing was a fluke. His record is average and I’m surprised Roma aren’t hiring someone younger.

IrishRedDevil

I posted in the match day thread, but I’ll copy it here:

Ranieri taking off Cleverly for João Pedro was a strange one. Sacrificing a midfielder for a forward, giving up midfield control, while his team is in the lead.

…went on to concede 2 goals and lose the game.

goodman organelles

He must have had nothing to do with that Leicester title win. It has to be on the players. If he had been involved in anyway he would have been sacked after several months just as he seems to everywhere else he goes.

He’s been sacked more times than a *insert American football pin from someone who actually understands the sport to be able to make the pun*.

The worst ever manager to win the league? He really is awful.

Idxomer

It didn't even register for me that he went back to Roma in 2019.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's a matter of when not if with Watford. Has he won any of his games in charge except against us?

Status
Not open for further replies.