Cleverley to Wigan on loan

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I think it would be a great loan deal for him.. I just thought SAF would want to keep him at the club and training with the 1st team because as far as I can recall he hasn't done that except for the past 2 pre-seasons..

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
I think it would be a great loan deal for him.. I just thought SAF would want to keep him at the club and training with the 1st team because as far as I can recall he hasn't done that except for the past 2 pre-seasons..
He just wouldn't get enough playing time though would he?

Valencia, Nani, Park, Giggs and Obertan. One of either Obertan or Cleverley had to go out on loan

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
No way is Obertan ready to go on loan to a PL club. We'll need to be patient with him, I reckon. He wouldn't get a look in at a club battling against relegation.
Are you talking about him not being able to handle the mental side of things or do you not think he's just good enough right now? If its the latter then I disagree, he's shown glimpses of real talent for us and while he might be rough around the edges, he has shown what he can do when he puts it together (the wolfsburg game comes to mind). His pace and skill are real assets, its just his decision making and shooting that needs to improve, which you can expect it to do so, during the course of a season long loan.

On the topic of this thread, I'm not so sure about Cleverly going to wigan, if N'Zogbia isn't leaving. Bolton, under Coyle seem to have a much better structure and they've shown with Wilshire that they'll give their loanees more thna enough playing time.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think you've greatly underestimated Obertan Pogue. There's no reason why when he is fit he can't contribute to the first team this season. He would easily start for the likes of Bolton, Wigan or Blackburn as he is more talented than anything they have on either flank.

I don't see him going on loan at any point in the forseeable future, we look to be preping him for the first team.

Kelvin

I don't see how Gibson is deemed good enough for our midfeld yet Cleverley isn't.

davisjw

I think you've greatly underestimated Obertan Pogue. There's no reason why when he is fit he can't contribute to the first team this season. He would easily start for the likes of Bolton, Wigan or Blackburn as he is more talented than anything they have on either flank.

I don't see him going on loan at any point in the forseeable future, we look to be preping him for the first team.
Couldn't disagree more. While Obertan has the talent, we've seen nothing from him to say he can execute it on the PL level. He's run out of bounds without anyone near him, missed easy goals, and lost the ball while trying to take on too many defenders.

I'd take Bolton's Korean and the N'Zogbia of last year over the Obertan of right now.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No way is Obertan ready to go on loan to a PL club. We'll need to be patient with him, I reckon. He wouldn't get a look in at a club battling against relegation.
I agree. He lacks the workrate and crossing ability needed for such role

Amir

I don't see how Gibson is deemed good enough for our midfeld yet Cleverley isn't.
It may not be about being good enough NOW. Maybe Fergie sees something special in Cleverley and would rather give him regular football at Wigan rather than the odd (the very odd) match for us. Long term thinking rather than looking at who is the better player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Re: Obertan. He's a long-term project. Bags of talent but not even close to being able to handle Premier League football every week. Especially at a club in the middle to bottom half of the league, where wingers are expected to do as much defending as attacking.

The Physio

Re: Obertan. He's a long-term project. Bags of talent but not even close to being able to handle Premier League football every week. Especially at a club in the middle to bottom half of the league, where wingers are expected to do as much defending as attacking.
Am I having some strange sense of déja vu or did you have the exact same argument with one of the French posters on here before?

cca3steve

this would make 3 loans at once, premier league allowed 4 in a year, 2 at one time, so i dont see how this loan can be possible

Wan

Cleverley plays out wide. Gibson in the middle. There's a lot more chances of Gibson starting in the middle than Cleverley out wide. We only play two at most out wide. While in the middle there will be games where we play with 3 players there. Carrick, Ando, Scholes won't start every game.

Wings: Giggs, Valencia, Nani, Park, Obertan
middle: Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs occasionally

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
I don't like it, would hope he got the chance for us this season after his performances this summer... If he were to go on loan I would rather seen him go to Bolton whom were also rumoured to be after him. I think Wishere flourished under Coyle last season.

Well, I guess a season with Premier League experience will do him good, and he will get more of that at Wigan than with us.

Shimo

this would make 3 loans at once, premier league allowed 4 in a year, 2 at one time, so i dont see how this loan can be possible
Think it's 2 to one club is ma - not across the league.

Georgie Best

If I had to choose between sleeping with Miss Worl
He said something about loaning him out untill jan last friday, i think initially it was believed Anderson would be out for much longer but with his quick recovery SAF thinks its better to send Cleveryley out on loan
That would make sense. First half of season we don't need to rotate nearly as much as we need after January when the players start to get tired. I hoped he did not go on loan this season and hopefully break trough our own ranks.. If that happen he can both get premier league experience as well as get a chance for our selves later in the season.

I hope that is how Ferguson opt to do it.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I can't see the bad hype on why Obertan doesn't cross, basically when I've watched him, he prefers to short pass the ball backwards then go for a cross and rightly so there is a fullback right up his arse so a back pass isn't a bad option to go for.

He did really well in the Pre-Season games but then to get injured, you can see that he looks stronger and is willing to defend more... It's still that final ball which you need more games to improve with.

I'd say Obertan and Cleverly would be a cert. start for the carling cup or FA cup...

Would love to keep them, Nani/Valencia/Park/Giggs are awesome wingers. But we never know when either can get injured and Giggs cannot play every week ( He can but I wouldn't risk it cause he is such a wonderful player )

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I dont really get all the positive hype for Cleverly (TBH, have not really seen him play that much) and the negative hype towards Gibson.

Age aside, Gibson reminds me a little of a young David Beckham. I think things are falling into place for him piece by piece and that this season will be a great year of consolidation for Gibson. he's certainly well worth having around the 1st XI squad and will be a very useful sub when we are chasing a game.

Maybe he's just a slightly later developer but as we have seen with Anderson, just because you explode onto the scene with talent does not mean you can sustain it. Right now, I'd say Anderson and Gibson where at about the same stage in their development.

Longsden_7

I dont really get all the positive hype for Cleverly (TBH, have not really seen him play that much) and the negative hype towards Gibson.

Age aside, Gibson reminds me a little of a young David Beckham. I think things are falling into place for him piece by piece and that this season will be a great year of consolidation for Gibson. he's certainly well worth having around the 1st XI squad and will be a very useful sub when we are chasing a game.

Maybe he's just a slightly later developer but as we have seen with Anderson, just because you explode onto the scene with talent does not mean you can sustain it. Right now, I'd say Anderson and Gibson where at about the same stage in their development.
Well there you go.

misterredmist

Well I can see the logic of going to Wigan - Martinez certainly believes in his sides playing the right way.......... and no , he'd probably not going to get a great deal of play at OT for the time being....

devilish

Its on the official site.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6651789

I confess that Im a bit dissapointed since I would have loved to see Cleverley compete with Anderson and Carrick for regular first team football.

Ekeke

Yeah but that was never going to happen. He might have had the relevant experience to challenge for a place on the wing instead.

devilish

Yeah but that was never going to happen. He might have had the relevant experience to challenge for a place on the wing instead.
Why not? The player has talent and he can cover the Central midfield role. If Anderson/Carrick performance do not improve then Cleverley would have had a big chance to shine.

Oh well maybe I rate the kid too much.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
and now my fantasy football will have 11 starters who either played for united or are on loan from them.... as soon as the site is updated with cleverly at Wigan.
Howard
P.Neville - Shawcross - Evra
Valencia - Greening - Richardson - Cleverly
Rooney - Welbeck - Saha​

How did I do?

Its on the official site.

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6651789

I confess that Im a bit dissapointed since I would have loved to see Cleverley compete with Anderson and Carrick for regular first team football.
Doesn't Cleverly play out wide?

I think the move will do him good. Regular football, that's what we want him to get.

devilish

Howard
P.Neville - Shawcross - Evra
Valencia - Greening - Richardson - Cleverly
Rooney - Welbeck - Saha​

How did I do?

I think the move will do him good. Regular football, that's what we want him to get.
He can play in CM too. I do acknowlege the advantages of regular football but I still believe that he has the talent to challenge for a first team place now.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
He can play in CM too. I do acknowlege the advantages of regular football but I still believe that he has the talent to challenge for a first team place now.
I think it's more within our and his interest at the moment that he goes on loan. He'll struggle to get into our team, for obvious reasons (he's unproven, we have quite a few players in there). That would be a shame because he could improve a lot over the next season and then work his way in after that.

devilish

I think it's more within our and his interest at the moment that he goes on loan. He'll struggle to get into our team, for obvious reasons (he's unproven, we have quite a few players in there). That would be a shame because he could improve a lot over the next season and then work his way in after that.
This year's Cleverley would have been useful to have last season.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
If our central midfield plays in the way they did last season then I think that its not as difficult as it being portrayed to be.
If Scholes is anything to go by, so far they haven't.

Even a 21 year old is probably not the answer though, last year's standards or not (which finished us 2nd, of course).

I think he could be found wanting, like Wilshere was in Arsenal's first couple of games when everyone was convinced he was ready. Which would do his confidence no good at all. On loan to Wigan he can shine and the pressure won't be as high. Plus, despite being a bit shit, Wigan do like to play a bit. I think it's a good move.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yes.

For some strange reason Devilish has decided that he will displace central midfield stalwarts Carrick and Anderson in a position I don't think he's actually played once in his entire professional career.

Even if this flight of fancy did actually come true and Cleverley miraculously displaced one or other of the other players, I'm guessing he's flat out of ideas about what the feck we would do with Carrick and Anderson?

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Yes.

For some strange reason Devilish has decided that he will displace central midfield stalwarts Carrick and Anderson in a position I don't think he's actually played once in his entire professional career.

Even if this flight of fancy did actually come true and Cleverley miraculously displaced one or other of the other players, I'm guessing he's flat out of ideas about what the feck we would do with Carrick and Anderson?
I have only seen him play out wide and even that isn't dozens of times so I, perhaps naively, took him on this word about CM.