Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Tarrou

Thanks all. Just to clarify, it was not my view point at all but family members are increasingly using that argument to excuse their indifference to climate change and I was just curious to see how everyone would respond! I have tried the inevitability of cleaner energy sources argument before but to no avail.
Personally I just don’t engage when my old man says something annoying about it

I used to for years, but what possible good can come from it? They’ll never change their minds

TheLiverBird

Personally I just don’t engage when my old man says something annoying about it

I used to for years, but what possible good can come from it? They’ll never change their minds
I had too say something too my Mother in Law who has recently become accustomed too watching Talk TV and listening to that Julia Hartley Brewer and other moronic non scientist’s who all claim it’s a sham and that things are no where near as bad as what the “experts” say

Personally I believe the Scientist’s….let me re phrase that, I believe the almost 800 expert scientists around the world that put together the IPCC report that have the backing of a further 20,000 expert scientist’s in this field who All claim we are in a sh*t state climate wise, over the likes of opinionated ill-informed “tv presenters”

including the likes of people like Attenborough who have quite LITERALLY travelled the globe 10 times over plus more and seen the actual affects with their own eyes

But no…..Julia Hartley Brewer makes gullible folks agree with them

Last edited:

neverdie

You know, 3.5bn people carry parasites worldwide and most are harmless. But, with species barrier collapse, see Corona-Virus, minus lableak, the primary theory is precisely that: habitat erosion. With this collapse the majority of parasites and parasite carriers in various organisms may die off - but these parasites, as per the human population, in their normative hosts, for the most part, are not life-threatening. When they have no normative host - as when we start encroaching into habitats like desertifcation and chopping down of tropical areas/jungles, as with Corona virus but many an African virus before it, and no national blame, for we all use the resources which these nations extract - then even if just 1% of these parasites jump (mutate) into hosts which, evolutionarily speaking, are not immune/used to such things, we have a potential species-death scenario. This is happening as per climate change. Warming, cooling, erratic weather patterns, but mostly, the chopping down of habitats and human encroachment.

At any rate, I'd declare a general public health initiative and advocate mebendazole for the entire population at a minimum. It has no side-effects and eradicates >90% of normative pork-type parasites and so on. For other varieties, there are things like Ivermectin, not for coronavirus, but for scabies and mite/lice viruses which this is of, sui generis. This stuff is around the corner and I see no one taking it very seriously.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
At any rate, I'd declare a general public health initiative and advocate mebendazole for the entire population at a minimum. It has no side-effects and eradicates >90% of normative pork-type parasites and so on. For other varieties, there are things like Ivermectin, not for coronavirus, but for scabies and mite/lice viruses which this is of, sui generis. This stuff is around the corner and I see no one taking it very seriously.
azoles work on fungi and some other parasites, this is a virus

Blood Mage

The planet is irreversibly fecked isn't it? It's a case of just be glad that we're alive now and will be dead by the time this shit gets apocalyptic. It's the kids being born today I feel sorry for, what kind of a future will they have?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The planet is irreversibly fecked isn't it? It's a case of just be glad that we're alive now and will be dead by the time this shit gets apocalyptic. It's the kids being born today I feel sorry for, what kind of a future will they have?
These thoughts pop into my mind often. Selfishly I am glad I never had kids & am getting up there in age nowadays; I will probably miss the worst of it.

Blood Mage

These thoughts pop into my mind often. Selfishly I am glad I never had kids & am getting up there in age nowadays; I will probably miss the worst of it.
We may have reached the point where having kids could be considered selfish.

Ted Lasso

Their highways are not really designed for that type of rainfall. It messy with once in a year type rainfalls, let alone this thousand year stuff.

Suppose it's to be expected as we get close and closer to the sun each year xP

Bert_

Biggest issue we have combating climate change in the western world specifically but not exclusively, is a generation or two that haven't had to deal with any existential crisis in their lifetimes, whilst also having the easiest ride in the history of humanity to a decent standard of living. For a significant portion of that demographic it's inconceivable to even consider that something like climate change won't just be fixed. Everything else in their lifetime has. That mentality isn't applicable to the recent and future generations though. The end result will depend on how quickly the latest generations take power from the former.

neverdie

azoles work on fungi and some other parasites, this is a virus
Tick-borne virus, I mean secondary. I.e., ivermectin/azoles useless for coronavirus, as per the post, but very useful for chain reactions re immune systems compromised by it wherein 50% of the world's population already harbours a parasite of some form. Mostly harmless, but with species barrier erosion and mutations why take the chance?

Red_toad

Planet will be fine. Not idea why people use such dramatic language. Humans will go extinct eventually, just like 99% of everything else before them. Things will be more difficult for our children, but they will still live on a planet that humans can thrive on.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Planet will be fine. Not idea why people use such dramatic language. Humans will go extinct eventually, just like 99% of everything else before them. Things will be more difficult for our children, but they will still live on a planet that humans can thrive on.
That’s a mad take given all that’s going on right now.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Why so? Humans are very adaptable. Maybe it's you underestimating their capability.
By all accounts if we keep going the way we are now much of the planet will be uninhabitable for humans. We can’t tolerate the sort of heat we are already seeing in a lot of places right now.

we are adaptable in that we can all migrate up to the least affected countries and start massive wars for control of them, sure!

neverdie

If you can survive in the Antarctic, or Himalayans, you might make it through the next sixty years barring enormous global efforts coordinated at certain very clearly defined goals. Other than that, toast. One way of species death is bad enough, but global warming gives at least a hundred if you want to really go into it and then it's just Murphy's Law: within false state, where only bad things can happen, all things that can happen will happen. That's the planet we live in right now minus things that have been highlighted here and elsewhere and which require immediate cessation to pointless stuff, though not unemotive affairs, such as war and direct pivot to global defense economy.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
By all accounts if we keep going the way we are now much of the planet will be uninhabitable for humans. We can’t tolerate the sort of heat we are already seeing in a lot of places right now.

we are adaptable in that we can all migrate up to the least affected countries and start massive wars for control of them, sure!
I'm waiting for the downside

WPMUFC

I'm really concerned about what Australia has coming up this summer. We've had long bouts of rain and flooding that will have exploded plant growth. If we are going into a crazy hot and dry summer, the whole country will be a tinderbox again.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm so fecking glad I live in Norway. Northern Norway at that. We had 30-odd degrees for a few days and I hated it. We won't be spared the effects of global warming (less snow, no Glazers in the very near future), and we'll take part in the global consequences (mass refugees, vulnerable supply lines, etc), but at least we're not getting that.

maximus419

We could easily do the biggest thing of all which would be to ditch capitalism and our growth and consumption ideology in order to prevent further damage to the climate but the elite won't want that. Instead, they will now be looking at the most habitable places on earth that escape the worst affects of climate change and buying up loads of land and building their HQ and homes there.

Everyone else is now on their own, scientists and groups have warned us for many decades now but they've been ignored completely, shut down by the media moguls and govts who are bought and owned by the corp interests legislating tougher laws to stop protests. They have no answers and will do the usual, say they must do more, whilst hundreds of thousands die from the extreme heat that is set to worsen. Any other species would accept what their way of life was doing and revert back to basics, we just carry on with the madness of doing the same thing over and over and expecting or hoping for a different outcome.

It is completely unfair for future generations especially to be burdened with such an awful apocalyptic future trying to survive a planet which becomes less habitable. We have to stop now and only the most serious collective effort can prevent humanity from being severely wiped out, just because we value money over life.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
China is set to double its capacity and produce 1,200 gigawatts of energy through wind and solar power by 2025, reaching its 2030 goal five years ahead of time, according to the report by Global Energy Monitor, a San Francisco-based NGO that tracks operating utility-scale wind and solar farms as well as future projects in the country.

It says that as of the first quarter of the year, China’s utility-scale solar capacity has reached 228GW, more than that of the rest of the world combined.

In addition, the group identified solar farms under construction that could add another 379GW in prospective capacity, triple that of the US and nearly double that of Europe.

China has also made huge strides in wind capacity: its combined onshore and offshore capacity now surpasses 310GW, double its 2017 level and roughly equivalent to the next top seven countries combined.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/29/china-wind-solar-power-global-renewable-energy-leader

neverdie

offshore capacity
These are interesting. They take entire lakes and float it on reinforced, but very basic, plastic. Then use AI bots to clean and track. Also, the newest ones, rotate. All should be doing this (following the sun). But China is way ahead in the Green energy game, if only nominally.

Tarrou

I'm really concerned about what Australia has coming up this summer. We've had long bouts of rain and flooding that will have exploded plant growth. If we are going into a crazy hot and dry summer, the whole country will be a tinderbox again.
the fires shouldn't be too bad given the rainfall? it takes a long time for wood/trees to dry out

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It feels to me that we have reached a tipping point and that many of the predictions of how climate change will adversely affect our weather are already happening.
And so all of the pledges for net zero by the middle of this century, even assuming that they are going to be met will be far too late.
Net zero is not going to help.
We should already be taking CO2 out of the atmosphere. But that is still some way off.

miked99

I'm so fecking glad I live in Norway. Northern Norway at that. We had 30-odd degrees for a few days and I hated it. We won't be spared the effects of global warming (less snow, no Glazers in the very near future), and we'll take part in the global consequences (mass refugees, vulnerable supply lines, etc), but at least we're not getting that.
This is Red Cafe's fault. We've been trying to get rid of them for ages!

redshaw

It feels to me that we have reached a tipping point and that many of the predictions of how climate change will adversely affect our weather are already happening.
And so all of the pledges for net zero by the middle of this century, even assuming that they are going to be met will be far too late.
Net zero is not going to help.
We should already be taking CO2 out of the atmosphere. But that is still some way off.
Is there any good estimates how long it would take for CO2 levels to reach normal if lets say we hit those goals or for example the world collectively decides to hunker down and pretty much stops using CO2.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Is there any good estimates how long it would take for CO2 levels to reach normal if lets say we hit those goals or for example the world collectively decides to hunker down and pretty much stops using CO2.
Wish I knew.
But what I do know is that climate scientists have been very clear that simply reducing or even stopping adding any more CO2 is not enough. Humanity has to find a way to become carbon negative.
And that seems to be proven by the current level of global warming.
We are highly likely to have already reached or exceeded the 1.5C figure.

What I find so concerning is that we are exceeding the previous maximum temperatures, not just by a small amount. But by significantly larger amount. And not just in a few areas. But in very large areas.