Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good on em.

I hate pebble-dash too.
Hopefully they did Rishi a favour while they were up there and trimmed that overgrown climber back for him before it damaged his roof. Imagine being a billionaire and not being able to afford a gardener.

KranjskaKlobasa

We had a joyfull summer - first proper tornado wrecking havoc after 30 something years, hail the size of pingpong balls ravaging crops, puting holes in roofs and now monthly rainfall in one day resulting in major landslides and floods.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
We had a joyfull summer - first proper tornado wrecking havoc after 30 something years, hail the size of pingpong balls ravaging crops, puting holes in roofs and now monthly rainfall in one day resulting in major landslides and floods.

Much of what has happened to you has happened here too, but at smaller scale though. However, I'm not so sure these events are going to be endemic for year 2023, I expect more of the same and worse in very near future.

WPMUFC

Mid-winter temperatures above 35 degrees Celsius in South America leave climatologists in disbelief

Data from Chile's national meteorological agency, Dirección Meteorológica de Chile, shows several weather stations in the country reached temperatures above 35C on August 1.

This is between 10C and 20C above what is normal for this time of year in parts of Chile and Argentina, according to data from the European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF).
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08...id-winter-climate-change-scientists/102678662

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66387537

The average sea temperature in July beats the previous record by a massive amount leaving climate change scientists extremely worried.
Preposterous idea that somehow we will dig ourselves out of trouble by using technology will only prolong inaction on global scale. Idea born out of nothing but capitalism that we will somehow all be driving EVs in 20 years while breathing fresh air on a green and healthy landscape at this point irks me as idiotic.

The same as Iphone, Samsung or whatever other smartphone ad, selling people stories of important moments shared with important people, when what they're actually selling is bloody phone. And those happy faces around you, you either have them or don't, completely unrelated to phone.

It's becoming mass delusion.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Preposterous idea that somehow we will dig ourselves out of trouble by using technology will only prolong inaction on global scale. Idea born out of nothing but capitalism that we will somehow all be driving EVs in 20 years while breathing fresh air on a green and healthy landscape at this point irks me as idiotic.

The same as Iphone, Samsung or whatever other smartphone ad, selling people stories of important moments shared with important people, when what they're actually selling is bloody phone. And those happy faces around you, you either have them or don't, completely unrelated to phone.

It's becoming mass delusion.
If we could scale up battery production (big if), the EV one isn't that unrealistic - at least as far as new cars go. But of course that takes action.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t think people are nearly as terrified about what is happening as they should be.

Reactions: moses

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don’t think people are nearly as terrified about what is happening as they should be.
A lot of people will continue to be in denial about it until it's too late, as usual. On a global and individual level the scale of change needed in everyday lives is so enormous that most people would prefer to simply ignore it while they still can.

Feels like we really are fecked now, though, not in 2100 or even 2050, but now, baaaad things are happening in the next few years.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
There's no doubt about that. You still feel like a bit of a loony when you suggest some things that might need to change. In real life moreso, but also here on the caf.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
There's no doubt about that. You still feel like a bit of a loony when you suggest some things that might need to change. In real life moreso, but also here on the caf.
It’s not even the weather I’m scared of. It’s the political fall out, collapsing economies, social unrest and ultimately war that is in my opinion inevitable.

Man fights over resources.

Irwin99

I did read a climate report last month and there was a Portuguese commentator in the comments saying how over their June or July had been one of the mildest in years and heavily implying he was skeptical about all the scare stories and i was reading yesterday that parts of Portugal have reached 46.4C yesterday.

decorativeed

I did read a climate report last month and there was a Portuguese commentator in the comments saying how over their June or July had been one of the mildest in years and heavily implying he was skeptical about all the scare stories and i was reading yesterday that parts of Portugal have reached 46.4C yesterday.
It's certainly not the typical summer I remember from my childhood. Someone I work with just returned from Spain where temperatures were as high as 44c. Meanwhile, back home in Manchester I've been wearing my winter clothes in 15c weather, where it has rained heavily for all but 2 days since the end of June. I think I read we've had three times the normal amount of rain this summer. A happy medium seems to be wishful thinking at this point.

WPMUFC

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/102729924
A Montana judge found state agencies were violating their constitutional right to a clean and healthful environment by allowing fossil fuel development.

The policy being used for evaluating requests for fossil fuel permits — which does not allow agencies to evaluate the effects of greenhouse gas emissions — was ruled to be unconstitutional.

If it stands, the ruling could set an important legal precedent, though experts say its immediate impacts will be limited and state officials have pledged to seek to overturn t

tomaldinho1

People struggle to conceptualise effects that happen over a long period of time or scale, it's just one of the weaknesses of the human brain. Kind of like the fact that you only need to fold a piece of paper 42 times to reach the moon, people always look confused by that but if you analyse it, you only need to get halfway by fold 41 (and so on) and then it becomes more digestible.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
One of the issues in Portugal is that a huge percentage of the population lives in Lisboa and Porto, which are on the coast and although often have very high temperatures, it's not where the real effects are noticeable. In many areas of the interior we had record high temperatures, worst droughts in a long time, worst crops in forever and people who leave there are sounding the alarm. But of course, life in the two big cities goes on as normal, so it creates the illusion it's not really that bad.

The fact many people in the big cities are struggling to get a place to live and most are focusing on making ends meet also helps to push the climate issues to the back of their mind. You can't ask someone struggling to pay rent and utilities to focus on something they aren't currently experiencing. A recent poll by a lisbon university showed that most youngsters who actively participated in climate protests and actually did something practical have secure lives financially. Those who can't find a room, a job or pay for their education tend to not care about this. Sadly this is a huge percentage of young people.

Without more equality, we're never fixing this, but very few establish a connection between these two things.

WPMUFC

NSW fire crews work through weekend to contain more than 70 blazes across the state

Over the last couple of years we have seen that increase of rain and definitely flooding, so there has been an increase in vegetation particularly west of the divide where that grass growth has been quite considerable.

"That's now drying out or has dried out in most areas, and that's not to say that we won't see bushfires along the coast, but that grass-fire threat particularly will be of most concern".

Mr Allan said people should act now to prepare their homes and discuss their bushfire survival plans with their families.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08...ws-battle-70-blazes-in-strong-winds/102752616

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66543643

This is an interesting article on the BBC website about the development of Cargo Ships fitted with sails. These can be deployed once at sea and greatly reduce the amount of fossil fuel burnt.

The sails themselves are designed in the UK. But due to government failure to invest, they are, like most things made in China.

pjaya

Not sure if it’s covered here. Japan have release the water from fukushima nuclear reactor to the ocean staring today.

it will impact all ocean life and also people

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

It is good to have a centrist view of climate change, opposing the mindless dogma of the far left and right (exemplified in the tweets above Musk's) - coming from the world's richest man, it gives me hope for humanity :)

e - I should add, despite that inflammatory rhetoric from Biden's tweets, he has also charted a nice centrist course, midway between shrill activism and a pro-consumer, pro-business, pro-growth agenda. More oil and gas drilling permits than ever before, an achievment he can boast about like Obama once did! Balanced by a 10-year climate plan that takes the US somewhat near their stated goals :drool:

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

It is good to have a centrist view of climate change, opposing the mindless dogma of the far left and right (exemplified in the tweets above Musk's) - coming from the world's richest man, it gives me hope for humanity :)
He’s the owner of Tesla, it’s in his financial interest.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Not climate change-exclusive, but interesting nevertheless for those with some spare time to read. As many have rightfully pointed out, green growth is nothing but an idea that we can keep going the way we are going now.

https://www.mdpi.com/2673-4060/4/3/32

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.