Club Ownership

croadyman

• Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to appoint a technical director and a performance director as Manchester United’s new kingpin pushes ahead with his overhaul of the club’s football operations.
  • Jason Wilcox, the highly regarded Southampton sporting director who was formerly Manchester City’s academy chief, is a leading contender for one of the roles.
  • Wilcox, who worked with Berrada at City, is greatly admired although United have distanced themselves from a move for the Crystal Palace sporting director Dougie Freedman
  • The biggest decision Ineos and their new hires will have to make in the coming months revolves around the future of Ten Hag, whose position is in doubt.
  • Reports this week suggested United’s players are increasingly doubtful the Dutchman will still be in charge next season.
This doesn't suggest that Wilcox and Freedman would be separate appointments,more of a case that's it's going to be one or the other. Maybe I am completely misinterpreting things though.

Wazzaduke33

It’s an embarrassment this article, the guys worth £29bn and he wants taxpayers money from pensioners, postmen, nurses and supermarket workers to fund our new stadium ?

Is this guy for real ? He could put £10bn in without return and still have more money than he’d ever know what to do with. He also pays NO TAX in the UK, he’s a parasite and we should have let Sheikh Jassim buy it

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/new...rebuild-old-trafford-20240207-WST-488097.html

Last edited:

Vidooq

It’s an embarrassment this article, the guys worth £29bn and he wants taxpayers money from pensioners, postmen, nurses and supermarket workers to fund our new stadium ?

Is this guy for real ? He could put £10bn in without return and still have more money than he’d ever know what to do with. He also pays NO TAX in the UK, he’s a parasite and we should have let Sheikh Jassim buy it

https://worldsoccertalk.com/amp/new...rebuild-old-trafford-20240207-WST-488097.html
That's how you stay rich.

Just kidding.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

The taxpayer money is to help build homes and redevelop the area around Old Trafford which will help the local economy. There are government schemes for this which he wants to tap into. No taxpayer money will go into Old Trafford.

City had a lot of council and government money for the same reason.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

That is why he is worth 30 billion.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM

I swear this could pass as an alt for @rimaldo if I was sure it was a pisstake.

Marcelinho87

Not against taxpayers money funding area regeneration which is what this would be for.

Better than dodgy Covid contracts, HS2 and whatever else the Tory party can embezzle.

oh and Jassim doesn’t pay tax here too, why the hell that matters.

davidmichael

It’s government money that’s sitting idle from the ‘Level Up’ scheme, the government only seemed to be bothered about regenerating southern areas and Ratcliffe knows there’s government funds sitting there that could not only pay towards (not all) a new stadium that’s used for various events but also massively upgrade a lot of Manchester.

Don’t get me wrong I do think Ratcliffe should use his own money but at the same time he’s manoeuvring to try and oust the parasites out of the club whilst fixing all the damage they’ve done which will cost a fortune so why not use unused government funds towards that will help provide jobs, boost local economy and regenerate areas that have long needed it whilst building a world class sporting arena.

bosskeano

don't give a shit who they hire if they aren't backed by INEOS and Sir Jim to bring in the type of players needed and ship out some of the shit we have

we need to find much more athletic players to mix in with the skillful players....our overall lack of pace within the squad is fecking abysmal

we need pacy outside backs and more direct type of wingers who can run at teams with some effect...dear lord our midfield needs a complete overhaul to build around Kobbie and his ability on the ball

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Sheik, Sheik it, baby

Son

Government did it for West Ham. Literally gave them a stadium. It’s fine though when the London clubs get nice stuff because end of the day our government only cares about London.

What we actually need is a bullet train linking manchester - Leeds - Newcastle etc and government pouring money into those areas as hubs.

The money would be well used regenerating its biggest club for more business in Manchester too.

This country is an utter embarrassment how London centric its model is and a reason why funnily enough the UK is trash compared to other better ran places. Osaka was light years ahead of Manchester visiting it.

A one and a half hour journey from London to Manchester on a train alone would transform the UK economy for the better plus Americans get amazing stadium infrastructure so why not us.

Last edited:

Precaution

It's funny, average players become sought after Technical Directors etc, great players are sub par player coaches - almost like there's a pattern

Matt851

Government did it for West Ham. Literally gave them a stadium. It’s fine though when the London clubs get nice stuff because end of the day our government only cares about London.

What we actually need is a bullet train linking manchester - Leeds - Newcastle etc and government pouring money into those areas as hubs.

The money would be well used regenerating its biggest club for more business in Manchester too.

This country is an utter embarrassment how London centric its model is and a reason why funnily enough the UK is trash compared to other better ran places. Osaka was light years ahead of Manchester visiting it.

A one and a half hour journey from London to Manchester on a train alone would transform the UK economy for the better plus Americans get amazing stadium infrastructure so why not us.
People keep saying but the government did it for west ham and city but that's obviously nonsense. Those stadiums were built to host specific events, and generally in better times for the economy. The fact west ham and City then got the stadiums on the cheap reflects poor planning in terms of what was going to happen with the stadiums afterwards more than any sort of government desire to help them.

The government is about to further cut budgets for public services, how do you think handing money to help a club with a billionaire tax avoiding owner would play polifically

Son

People keep saying but the government did it for west ham and city but that's obviously nonsense. Those stadiums were built to host specific events, and generally in better times for the economy. The fact west ham and City then got the stadiums on the cheap reflects poor planning in terms of what was going to happen with the stadiums afterwards more than any sort of government desire to help them.

The government is about to further cut budgets for public services, how do you think handing money to help a club with a billionaire tax avoiding owner would play polifically
Well our government has been seen to be completely inept since the Tory’s introduced cuts over a decade ago.

It’s an utter embarrassment they can’t built new infrastructure and shows a complete lack of care and foresight.

Japan went almost bankrupt building its bullet trains in the 70’s and many people got removed from positions. Turns out years down the line those decisions to spend and not be “conservative” put them ahead of so called super powers like the UK. They actually take risks which is basically what our country should be doing instead of this awful politics we have had for years and years where basically it’s there only to protect London and everyone else rots.

Matt851

Well our government has been seen to be completely inept since the Tory’s introduced cuts over a decade ago.

It’s an utter embarrassment they can’t built new infrastructure and shows a complete lack of care and foresight.

Japan went almost bankrupt building its bullet trains in the 70’s and many people got removed from positions. Turns out years down the line those decisions to spend and not be “conservative” put them ahead of so called super powers like the UK. They actually take risks which is basically what our country should be doing instead of this awful politics we have had for years and years where basically it’s there only to protect London and everyone else rots.
The government is an embarrassment no doubt but that doesn't mean they should just throw lots of money at us

Wazzaduke33

My issue is a multibillionare expecting us to pay for our teams stadium. Once completed he’s straight into making money out of it !

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
My issue is a multibillionare expecting us to pay for our teams stadium. Once completed he’s straight into making money out of it !
You ignored the countless interviews from SJR?
What money is to be made from a stadium compared to the 61bln INEOS makes each year?

Where is the logic in that?

Its like me owning my own business making 30k a month then saying you know what, I fancy making an extra £2 a month by investing in the local curry house.

Wazzaduke33

You ignored the countless interviews from SJR?
What money is to be made from a stadium compared to the 61bln INEOS makes each year?

Where is the logic in that?

Its like me owning my own business making 30k a month then saying you know what, I fancy making an extra £2 a month by investing in the local curry house.
So why ask for public money ?

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Again, have you seen the interviews?
He had an interview very clearly stating he doesn't want public money. He was talking about the redevelopment of the area (which is happening) and how it relates to the rebuilt or renovation of OT.

This isnt paraphrasing or a journalists article, its him on video AFTER the initial interview clarifying his statement.

People just run away with the hyperbole.

In fact its hard to find the video but its been posted before, hes stood outside old trafford, american show and hes in-front of a white Granadeir.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

As one of the many foreigners who occasionally come and visit Manchester I assure you, Manchester United = foreign tourism in Manchester. I believe that OT is more important to Manchester's tourism then the Louvre is for Paris or the Hermitage is for St Petersburg

So why shouldn't the taxpayer who benefit thanks to that tourism foot some of that bill?

soapythecat

What a meltdown.

Bowlcut11

I appreciate you being upset at the idea government money goes to anyone other than the needy and I agree with that sentiment myself

HOWEVER

The real world sadly doesn't work like that and public funding is a key part of huge investments. This is due to the fact investing in upgrading Old Trafford to the campus style setup of City will lead to jobs and economic benefit for Manchester as a whole.

Wazzaduke33

I appreciate you being upset at the idea government money goes to anyone other than the needy and I agree with that sentiment myself

HOWEVER

The real world sadly doesn't work like that and public funding is a key part of huge investments. This is due to the fact investing in upgrading Old Trafford to the campus style setup of City will lead to jobs and economic benefit for Manchester as a whole.
He wants public money to build a football stadium, if he wanted to generate jobs and boost the wider economy in Manchester why didn’t he do so prior to investing in the club ?

Bowlcut11

He wants public money to build a football stadium, if he wanted to generate jobs and boost the wider economy in Manchester why didn’t he do so prior to investing in the club ?
I didn't say that was his primary objective (it isn't) but that's the argument for using public funding to help with the stadium project.

There are benefits to the government in aiding these big projects despite the stadium being for a privately owned entity. More jobs and a more attractive looking Manchester is a good thing

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
This isn’t correct.

Revamping the area will involve more than just a new stadium.

There will be huge civil projects, outwith Manchester United, that would logically require funding and co-ordination by many enterprises - be that public or private.

You could easily flip your assertion and ask why would Manchester United fund civil redevelopment of the area (outwith stadium and related commercial developments).

It’s an expansive ambition that will require multiple solutions. Not a binary x pays or y pays

Lyng

All Jim has said so far has been the things I want to hear. Also signing Berrada etc are all good signs. As long as we hear nothing from Jim or the new management I am going to refuse to believe we are looking at Southgate.