Club treatment of Munich survivors

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Have just reread Harry Greggs book again entitled 'Harrys Game'.
As you all know Harry was a survivor of Munich, and went on to become involved with United at various levels, keeper,coach,scout. A real United man through and through, in his blood as he says it. So, when he mentions several things in his book i believe him.

- the club withdrew taxi rights for the players, even Jackie Blanchflower who could barely walk after the crash. Some of the players got around simply due to the goodwill of the taxi drivers who offered them free rides.
- the club withdrew the rented accomodation from the players.
- very little money given to the survivors & the families of the deceased. Harry Gregg was advised to claim for compensation for missing luggage!
- Martin Edwards and his father said that Munich was nothing to do with them as it occured before they took control!
- Edwards later went against the wishes of the Munich survivors when he asked Eric Cantona to appear in the 'Munich Fundraiser' match. The survivors believe this was a gesture from Edwards to make up with Cantona and actually nothing to do with the actual event.
- The bad treatment of Jimmy Murphy, even Sir Matt didnt speak to him right up to his death.

various other little incidents. Appalling treatment from the club, isnt it time the club made it right for all affected? Raising a decent amount of funds and not taking their share for security costs etc would be a good start.
Its amazing what the players went through at the time, yet they were treated like dirt afterwards.

Remy

Chutney Ferret/Ronaldo's number 1 fan
I know that Johnny Berry was left penniless after Munich. When he came back home to Aldershot his brother lent him the money and he started a sports shop in the town, the only connection he had with United after that was when a few people turned up at his funeral, including Bobby Charlton and Dennis Law...His family (still in Aldershot) have all of his United Medals and England caps and Busby Babes signed pictures and programmes.. i keep on asking if i can have some and they keep on saying no :(

USDevil

Soldier of Fortune
Damn, I never knew that. I'll have to check that book out Geebs. Thanks. Appalling that is.

Legend16

golden_blunder said:
Have just reread Harry Greggs book again entitled 'Harrys Game'.
As you all know Harry was a survivor of Munich, and went on to become involved with United at various levels, keeper,coach,scout. A real United man through and through, in his blood as he says it. So, when he mentions several things in his book i believe him.

- the club withdrew taxi rights for the players, even Jackie Blanchflower who could barely walk after the crash. Some of the players got around simply due to the goodwill of the taxi drivers who offered them free rides.
- the club withdrew the rented accomodation from the players.
- very little money given to the survivors & the families of the deceased. Harry Gregg was advised to claim for compensation for missing luggage!
- Martin Edwards and his father said that Munich was nothing to do with them as it occured before they took control!
- Edwards later went against the wishes of the Munich survivors when he asked Eric Cantona to appear in the 'Munich Fundraiser' match. The survivors believe this was a gesture from Edwards to make up with Cantona and actually nothing to do with the actual event.
- The bad treatment of Jimmy Murphy, even Sir Matt didnt speak to him right up to his death.

various other little incidents. Appalling treatment from the club, isnt it time the club made it right for all affected? Raising a decent amount of funds and not taking their share for security costs etc would be a good start.
Its amazing what the players went through at the time, yet they were treated like dirt afterwards.
It is truly disgusting that the men who did so much to create the Manchester United legend were treated in such a way. Its been long known and spoken about but somehow forgotten over the years. Fair play to Harry Gregg for speaking up again. It is high time our club put this right. There have been a lot of men made rich out of Manchester United who never kicked a ball for us. People who would probably have never seen those riches were it not for the sacrifice and efforts of these old heroes.

golden_blunder

Staff
maged said:
What was the full story here?
Harry Gregg wasnt quite sure what happened between them but tells the story that even Bobby Charlton fell out with Sir Matt over it. Bobby gave a speach at a dinner attended by Matt, but didnt mention the manager, instead he gave all the credit to Jimmy Murphy for helping his career and building the team again.

mickthered

Man Utd Mrs said:
If the Glazers said they'd put it right, would people like them more?
somehow I dont think so

Most people would just put it down to a cheap publicity stunt

golden_blunder

Staff
mickthered said:
somehow I dont think so

Most people would just put it down to a cheap publicity stunt
sadly i think youre right

The Edwards family should have sorted it a long time ago

by the way it was interesting to hear that Edwards wanted to sell United because he wanted to purchase some property in the lake district. what an idiot.

mickthered

golden_blunder said:

by the way it was interesting to hear that Edwards wanted to sell United because he wanted to purchase some property in the lake district. what an idiot.
Must be one hell of a big house then

Or its lake Windermere itself he wants to buy

topper

Clown
golden_blunder said:

the Edwards famaily had no morals in general or loyalty to United or the victims of Munich in particular and this is why I detest them much more than I do the the Glazers

Julian Denny

golden_blunder said:
Harry Gregg wasnt quite sure what happened between them but tells the story that even Bobby Charlton fell out with Sir Matt over it. Bobby gave a speach at a dinner attended by Matt, but didnt mention the manager, instead he gave all the credit to Jimmy Murphy for helping his career and building the team again.
There's no doubt that Jimmy Murphy played a huge role in the development of the Babes and in the reconstruction post Munich, including effectively managing the team from Feb 8 until the end of that season. Murphy was very much involved with guiding the players in their development. However, Busby made all the big decisions regarding the team and how it played. He was the visionary, not only knowing when and how to develop the youth system and giving people like Charlton their chance when the time was ripe but he was also a shrewd operator in the transfer market as well. He was the principle architect behind the emergence of Manchester United after the war, the creation of arguably the best side this country has known (the Babes) and then the post Munich resurgence. He is largely, perhaps solely, responsible for creating the foundations that made Manchester United into the huge name it is today. His role in the clubs history should not in anyway be diminished by other issues such as his relationship with Murphy which apparently and sadly went sour for some reason.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So we can all see that the club hasnt turned evil since the Glazers came, things were wrong long before Malcolm bought Manchester United FC.

topper

Clown
devilish said:
So we can all see that the club hasnt turned evil since the Glazers came, things were wrong long before Malcolm bought Manchester United FC.

Only one thing wrong with United afore Glazer family ..................Edwards family

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
topper said:
the Edwards famaily had no morals in general or loyalty to United or the victims of Munich in particular and this is why I detest them much more than I do the the Glazers
Uh oh. Expect Fred to post 15 reasons why the Glazers are worse. You've opened up the can of worms.

The Hairdryer

very Ruud said:
So if the Glazer's pay of the debt you'll gladly start spending all your hard earned dollars on United again?

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
The Hairdryer said:
So if the Glazer's pay of the debt you'll gladly start spending all your hard earned dollars on United again?
No. I don´t want him here and no matter if he manages to clear off the debt or not. He´a cnut and I wont give him any of my money.

WeasteDevil

very Ruud said:
No. I don´t want him here and no matter if he manages to clear off the debt or not. He´a cnut and I wont give him any of my money.
You were giving him your money when he was a mere shareholder though!

The Hairdryer

very Ruud said:
So the Debt is irrelevent then? Why did you bother posting it? You never gave the PLC any of your money either, remember?

very Ruud

Spam, Spam, Spam....
The Hairdryer said:
So the Debt is irrelevent then? Why did you bother posting it? You never gave the PLC any of your money either, remember?
If it was United who had borrowed the money to build a new training centre or whatever I wouldnt have any problem to pay it off but now it isnt our debt, its Glazers. And thats where the problem is.

He put United in debt and its his job to get it paid off.

WeasteDevil

WTF does a "debt" have to do with it? Many medium-large businesses run with large credit accounts. The debt is not what people are or should be opposed to in the main.

And, repeating myself, you had no problem giving him your money when he was a minority shareholder.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
all this proves is what I have always believed...the owners of the club has nothing to do with the supporters...who are the heart and soul of the club...
as long as we remember the sacrifice of the Busby Babes...they will never die.

The Hairdryer

very Ruud said:
If it was United who had borrowed the money to build a new training centre or whatever I wouldnt have any problem to pay it off but now it isnt our debt, its Glazers. And thats where the problem is.

He put United in debt and its his job to get it paid off.
I never met anything so confused. You can't even make up your mind what you're boycotting for. First it's the debt, then it has nothing to do with debt and now it's the debt again.

You never went to games anyway remember, you're not a manc, you don't live in Stretford, you're a finnish armchair fan living in your mothers attic.

Magnus

Another mad swede
Read about this in the MUSB-branch paper a while ago. It´s a fecking disgrace if true. I´ve always said that the club should take better care of the fans because we are the club but if it hadn´t been for Munich we might not had all the support worldwide. Louie Edwards. to me, always had Uniteds bests interests as a priority. Along came Martin who tried to sell the club to anyone willing to pay. Nobody managed that so the cnut put us in the stockmarket. After reading Greggs story all I can say is that the apple doesn´t fall way off the tree.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
People seem to forget thet a short while ago Edwards was public enemy number one, then the PLC and Edwards. And now Glazer.

The level of debt is of concern but there isn't anything we can do about it now. We had plenty of opportunity and fecked it up by not buying enough shares.

andy27457

Wibble said:
People seem to forget thet a short while ago Edwards was public enemy number one, then the PLC and Edwards. And now Glazer.

The level of debt is of concern but there isn't anything we can do about it now. We had plenty of opportunity and fecked it up by not buying enough shares.
Good post!

topper

Clown
Wibble said:

well said

topper

Clown
Magnus said:
Read about this in the MUSB-branch paper a while ago. It´s a fecking disgrace if true. I´ve always said that the club should take better care of the fans because we are the club but if it hadn´t been for Munich we might not had all the support worldwide. Louie Edwards. to me, always had Uniteds bests interests as a priority. Along came Martin who tried to sell the club to anyone willing to pay. Nobody managed that so the cnut put us in the stockmarket. After reading Greggs story all I can say is that the apple doesn´t fall way off the tree.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Read United history and talk to older United supporters about Louis Edwards

the guy was a menace and shafted all and sundry, including Matt Busby, to make HIMSELF money and the butcher was being investigated for corruption by the Manchester police when he died

Murt

topper said:
the guy was a menace and shafted all and sundry, including Matt Busby, to make HIMSELF money and was the butcher was being investigated for corruption by the Manchester police when he died
Ive heard both some ppl claim he was a good guy but mainly im led to believe that what you say is true,
Fred reckons he was a saint.

Just goes to show that the Glazer situation is not unique,

Magnus

Another mad swede
topper said:

the guy was a menace and shafted all and sundry, including Matt Busby, to make HIMSELF money and the butcher was being investigated for corruption by the Manchester police when he died
Well first of all I´d like to apologise for not being clear enough in me post. I used to think that Louis was good for United but after reading what Greggsy had to say about it I changed me point of view. That is why I said that the apple doesn´t fall way off the tree (Swedish expression, don´t know if it´s used worldwide) regarding Martin feckING cnut Edwards. By the way whenever I go to Manchester I always talk to the elder United supporters because they give me an idea of how fecking brilliant Duncan was and the joy it was to see the 58 and 68-team. Couldn´t get that from a video