Club vs Country

What is more important to you?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

PoTMS

Yesterday's defeat was gutting but wasn't as gutting as losing to Sevilla which confirms United always come first ahead of England. Think it might be different for those who live in smaller nations.

@Damien would it be possible to get a poll?

Last edited:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Or club vs country for all the non-English/United fans.
Might have put that in the title. :p

Makes me wonder, how many percent of the RedCafe are non-English? Must be at least 50% surely.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Or club vs country for all the non-English/United fans.

Yesterday's defeat was gutting but wasn't as gutting as losing to Sevilla which confirms United always come first ahead of England. Think it might be different for those who live in smaller nations.

@Damien would it be possible to get a poll?
Done.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Manchester United, the greatest football team in all the land OR the United States Soccer team. Tough choice...

el3mel

Why a non English will even support England ? It's pretty weird to support any national team other than your own. Clubs on the other global icons with loads of fans worldwide.

Definitely for English both should be of equal priority or even England more, but for non English there's no reason to support England just because you're supporting English club, similar for supporting Spain just because you're supporting Madrid etc.

Bocca9978

There is no club vs country. It’s both. It’s easy to support both.

Raw

Club for me. But if I had to choose between England winning the World Cup or United winning the CL, it'd have to be England.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
If we won the World Cup that would far surpass any club achievement.

Somehow I just feel it much deeper when England are playing a massive game than any equivalent club match.

PoTMS

Club for me. But if I had to choose between England winning the World Cup or United winning the CL, it'd have to be England.
You see I'm conflicted as even though I voted club, I would also choose this like you. But surely that's because the World Cup is the biggest trophy in football and only happens once every four years.

edcunited1878

I think supporting your club player when they are away with their country makes sense because you should want them to do well (e.g. DDG at Spain), even if you don't care much about their country.

When Rio, Rooney, Scholes, Beckham, etc were playing for England, the media and rival team supporters couldn't wait to slate them at any chance (e.g. Beckham effigy, John Terry v Rio). It's shameful and sad and it's up to the club to protect them when their fellow country doesn't do it.

Raw

You see I'm conflicted as even though I voted club, I would also choose this like you. But surely that's because the World Cup is the biggest trophy in football and only happens once every four years.
Exactly. If it were the Euros, I'd probably go for United winning the CL.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Country during WC/EC (if we ever qualify), club during season ;)

Revan

Assumptionman
I'll choose Kosovo (or even Albania) to win Euros (let alone World Cup) over United winning the Treble every single day of the week. Of course, let's talk about realistic situations now:

With Albania being shit and Kosovo essentially not existing until recently, so I've mostly supported Holland and Argentina for weird reasons until 2014. I supported Croatia and Switzerland on this World Cup. I would take United winning the league (let alone UCL) over any of them winning the World Cup, without a shadow of doubt.

GeorgieBoy

'Once more than England; world champions twice.'

Club before country for me although that loss yesterday was as down I've felt about football since THAT Aguero goal.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm from Germany and I'm happy when a United player scores against our national team even if it would be in the WC final. That's how much more important United is to me.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Club and it isn't even close. The way the media and fans treated United players has made me give no fecks about the England NT

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
This is an interesting one for me. When I was watching United back in the 60s International football seemed to mean a lot more to everybody. Representing your country was an honor and the number of caps you had was important. To that extent back then they were about equal. As time has gone by and the glamour of International football has slowly been eroded club football became much more important to me, however this one little sojourn into being relevant again shows how easy it is to stoke my sentiment for the National team. I think @Raw hit the nail on the head for me - club wins out pretty much every time but because it has been so long since England won a World Cup I'd opt for that one if it ever came down to a choice between United winning the CL versus England being Champions of the World.

United can always win more Champions Leagues.

RedDevil@84

It's pretty weird to support any national team other than your own
A small house in rural area in Kerala India, gripped in WC fever.

Football crazy Argentina fan paints his scooter

Cutouts erected on the river in Kerala India for WC

None of this weird. Football is quite a big emotion for many people across the world. Be it Club or NT. Not every nation can have a team that is good enough to play in a WC.

el3mel

None of this weird. Football is quite a big emotion for many people across the world. Be it Club or NT. Not every nation can have a team that is good enough to play in a WC.
Sorry but I'll never understand this. Even if your national team is rubbish you'll never the same affection for any other national team. You may love some of their stars but supporting them as your own team is weird.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If I had the choice of England winning the World cup or Chelsea winning the FA Cup, League Cup, League and Champions league (the quad?), I'd pick England.

On the other hand, if you said there was no Chelsea or no England Football team, the Three Lions could piss off.

I'll always be a supporter of both.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

Yeah, it's pretty fecking weird. And cool. And fun. Nothing wrong with a bit of weird.

RedDevil@84

That's not an awfully sized house, why do they insist on hanging faded clothes and towels across the front to give it that innards of a shanty town look?
It is probably a poor guy's house in a rural area. So it could look quite shanty.

klsv

United are basically the only team I care about.

I am so disconnected from my national team that I'd struggle naming the starting XI for a qualifier. I do sometimes watch them at the stadium but usually just to hang out with my friends. There are several reasons behind this, from corruption to attitudes towards the fans, lack of footballing culture really, or rather even lack of any team sport culture in general. Individual sports are always preferred. I am also probably the least patriotic person you'll meet.

Been supporting United since I was 8 years old in 1996, my local club side was founded in 1993 and I have no connection with it.

Zachari

I agree with people not seeing logic in supporting England while being non-english just because you are a fan of English club. I myself do not support England (although I did root for you vs Croatia, probably that is the reason you lost, cause I was sooo against England vs Columbia :) )

Anyways I can not understand anyone passionately supporting other country than his own.
Well, unless you are Cypriot and you support Greece, or you are from FYROM and support Bulgaria, Kosovar supporting Albania or vice versa and etc - if you are one of those nationalities that happen to have more than one country - then it is understandable to support both. Other than that - for me it is unacceptable.

I, for example, haven't ever put on other country's national kit. It just feels so wrong.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
As important as club is since it's the bread and butter of your football life, I don't know how anyone can choose club over country. I remember reading a post from someone that players would bleed for their country more than their club. Players and fans are the same. It's always country over club for me.

RedDevil@84

Sorry but I'll never understand this. Even if your national team is rubbish you'll never the same affection for any other national team. You may love some of their stars but supporting them as your own team is weird.
Not really far from supporting Manchester while staying in India or China or Thailand or Indonesia. Some teams, be it club or country connect with you though you are watching them only on TV and then it stays.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The great thing about international is that the whole country gets involved and you really feel the togetherness. You don't get that at club level, well I don't considering I live in London and support united.

Having said that, I feel no patriotism as my family line is from all over the place, plus I was born in Germany, have a German passport but live in England.

Have far more treasured memories of united.

el3mel

Not really far from supporting Manchester while staying in India or China or Thailand or Indonesia. Some teams, be it club or country connect with you though you are watching them only on TV and then it stays.
No it's different and I said this in my initial post.

Clubs are global icons and each European club has a wide fan base all around the world not just United. There're supporters for United, Madrid, Barca..etc at any country, even if you're supporting another local team there. The national team is the team of your own country, it feels completely illogical to go and support another country, why ?. You can love some of their players or wish them well but supporting another country national team as your own is weird and doesn't make sense.

Maybe it's fine for you and you feel it can happen but for me I just can't get it.