Coaches Voice: In Conversation with Ralf Rangnick

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I don’t understand this sudden obsession with Rangnick. Unless I’m missing something it just reeks of desperation, and also, doesn’t seem like the type of appointment we would make.

Besides, hasn’t he just joined Lokomotiv?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I don’t understand this sudden obsession with Rangnick. Unless I’m missing something it just reeks of desperation, and also, doesn’t seem like the type of appointment we would make.

Desperation.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is he a coach now? Thought he was a DoF when we were last linked with him?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
we’re reaching Ragnarok so we want Rangnick

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is he a coach now? Thought he was a DoF when we were last linked with him?
Both. He started out as a manager and did pretty well before switching to Director of Football job, still acting as a coach from time to time.

It's certainly desperation but he's one of the most interesting short-term choices for an interim/placeholder manager. Especially since he can potentially switch to a directorial position later. In our dreams though, it's highly unlikely that Glazers consider him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bringing up Rangnick is a bit random? He doesn't really have a big name as coach, he's done some decent work, but he's all about pressing and United just bought Ronaldo?! And for the last decade or so he's always worked as an authoritative figure with a young squad, he doesn't really have experience managing big egos and it since he appears to be quite stubborn that could be a recipe for disaster as well.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

One tweet from a poor source is all it takes and people will start convincing themselves he's the right man. It is just desperation.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Bringing up Rangnick is a bit random? He doesn't really have a big name as coach, he's done some decent work, but he's all about pressing and United just bought Ronaldo?! And for the last decade or so he's always worked as an authoritative figure with a young squad, he doesn't really have experience managing big egos and it since he appears to be quite stubborn that could be a recipe for disaster as well.
He managed Schalke, though :wenger:

Adamsk7

I don’t think it’s desperation, I just think we want a structure that makes sense for modern football so naturally we are looking at those that have forged a way in this, whether it’s someone credited with being a forerunner like Ragnick or someone like Ten Hag who has adapted the principles. There’s no doubt the club missed a trick with Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Nagelsmann. When you’ve got a coaching team that seems to have zero tactical nous, I think it’s completely understandable to look the other way at someone who has changed philosophies at clubs from the top down.
like I said in another thread, Ragnick until the end of the season then Ten Hag in as coach with Ralf moving to the big job as DOF. It’s the right call but it’s one our board won’t ever make. Good to dream though!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Rangnick is a reformer and United needs reforms I'd say. But he is also very radical and demands far reaching competences and I really can't see you giving him what he wants and probably sees as obligatory. You'd most likely hesitate to give that much power to somebody like Guardiola or Klopp, let alone a relative no name. Some time ago it was reported he was in talks with Inter and Schalke but the talks failed for these exact reasons. And United is a several orders of magnitude above those clubs.

If he were to be appointed, he'd probably turn the club on his head, implement fully new structures and processes etc. He has a pretty wholistic approach to managing a football club and even went down several leagues to take over Leipzig and build them up from relative scratch.

He's also seen as the pioneer of modern German coaching. Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Rose, etc. As far as I know, Tuchel even made his first steps as a coach under him.

Dan_F

Utterly pointless bringing in a temporary coach like that ahead of the Christmas schedule. The team will barely have any real time to implement anything on the training pitch. If he’s your man going forwards, much like Klopp did at Liverpool, then it’s worth it.

I honestly think it’s why they’ve not replaced Ole yet. They can’t find anyone suitable to take over the team for such a long period of the season. Think about what happened when Ole took over. An immediate bounce, but that wore off after a few months.

Godfather

Rangnick is a reformer and United needs reforms I'd say. But he is also very radical and demands far reaching competences and I really can't see you giving him what he wants and probably sees as obligatory. You'd most likely hesitate to give that much power to somebody like Guardiola or Klopp, let alone a relative no name. Some time ago it was reported he was in talks with Inter and Schalke but the talks failed for these exact reasons. And United is a several orders of magnitude above those clubs.

If he were to be appointed, he'd probably turn the club on his head, implement fully new structures and processes etc. He has a pretty wholistic approach to managing a football club and even went down several leagues to take over Leipzig and build them up from relative scratch.

He's also seen as the pioneer of modern German coaching. Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Rose, etc. As far as I know, Tuchel even made his first steps as a coach under him.
Sounds like he's exactly what we need. This club needs a complete overhaul. Doubt we'd be brave enough to give him the freedom to do so though

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's one thing to credit him for being a trailblazer, but I don't really think that this is relevant at all when it comes to a coaching job in the here and now: the students seem to have (far) surpassed their master a long time ago.

tomaldinho1

Desperation. He’s a DoF and a visionary but many of his students have vastly surpassed him as coaches.

United could hire over 80% of PL coaches and I think we’d be a better team, there’s no shortage of candidates.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It's one thing to credit him for being a trailblazer, but I don't really think that this is relevant at all when it comes to a coaching job in the here and now: the students seem to have (far) surpassed their master a long time ago.
No denying that

Wheato

He excels at developing a club from the bottom up. We're not at that stage. We have the players in the squad and the players coming through. We need a manager now to go and get the best out of who is here. Not to start from scratch.

Tuchel. Klopp and Pep would be winning titles if they were here. We just need a manager with a strategy, a system of playing, and who plays people on merit of how they are performing and what they were brought in for, instead of blindly playing his favourites, regardless of their ability or current form.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good thread to dig up.

I said this in a thread in the newbies forum so will post here too:

Finally, some German influence. It's my belief that generally German football is more cerebral than English football. Looking forward to Ralf's reign and have a sneaky feeling he may even stay on after 6 months. What I am really not sure about is a Poch/Ralf fit.

tomaldinho1

Good thread to dig up.

I said this in a thread in the newbies forum so will post here too:

Finally, some German influence. It's my belief that generally German football is more cerebral than English football. Looking forward to Ralf's reign and have a sneaky feeling he may even stay on after 6 months. What I am really not sure about is a Poch/Ralf fit.
I think it’s more about how well Hennes is setup to be honest rather than it being more ‘cerebral’ - simple things like hours you need to coach in the BL vs in England are all part of why it adds up to a higher standard of coaches coming out of Germany. RR isn’t that successful a coach though so I am worried about how well the ideas will translate if Carrick and McKenna are the ones implementing them.

I’d wonder if we’ll see an RB known entity slowly move into the ascension as his successor over Poch - Nagelsmann is the obvious one but there’s also Rose, Hasenhuttl, Marsch or the new Jaissle guy from Salzburg. All hands on coaches and all with variation of RR’s ideas.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How has Nagelsmann adapted to the enormity and pressure of his role at Bayern, btw ?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How has Nagelsmann adapted to the enormity and pressure of his role at Bayern, btw ?
Theyre the best team in Europe and probably play the best football in Europe IMO. Breezed through the CL group. Humiliating defeat in the cup though.

Glorio

It's certainly desperation but he's one of the most interesting short-term choices for an interim/placeholder manager. Especially since he can potentially switch to a directorial position later. In our dreams though, it's highly unlikely that Glazers consider him.
Mind blown! :eek:
May I please have your crystal ball? :)

Edit: more like your wishing well to be fair, considering your last sentence!

Hoof the ball

The obsession, as you put it, isn't in the individual, but rather in the decision by the club to move towards a definite mid-term and long-term strategy for a footballing profile in which to build upon. Rangnick is the object of the current fascination, yes, but it's more about what he's starting to implement and how that shapes the future of clubs hiring policy that has people excited.

We're behind the curve and we're catching up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's definitely a lot more interesting and convincing to listen to than Ole was! Don't need nostalgia, we need ideas.

romufc

He's definitely a lot more interesting and convincing to listen to than Ole was! Don't need nostalgia, we need ideas.
You can see the passion in him. Ole was more about United way, entertain the crowd, spirit, which is a different way of motivating a team.

I think Ole used SAF techniques a bit too much, considering football has changed, with the new visionary coaching.

Ragnik will talk about the football, winning the ball, getting it back, passing, structure.

Its clear, if you do not follow him, you are out. Simple as.

With Ole, he wanted to give players opportunities, but kept doing so.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
The obsession, as you put it, isn't in the individual, but rather in the decision by the club to move towards a definite mid-term and long-term strategy for a footballing profile in which to build upon. Rangnick is the object of the current fascination, yes, but it's more about what he's starting to implement and how that shapes the future of clubs hiring policy that has people excited.

We're behind the curve and we're catching up.
Ha, I’ve changed my tune since that post, don’t worry - it’s fecking party time :lol:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yes! As much as I loved Ole, it is a lot more reassuring if a manager can explain his idea and approach post game even if the result is not good.

TheReligion

Abusive
Both. He started out as a manager and did pretty well before switching to Director of Football job, still acting as a coach from time to time.

I don’t think it’s desperation, I just think we want a structure that makes sense for modern football so naturally we are looking at those that have forged a way in this, whether it’s someone credited with being a forerunner like Ragnick or someone like Ten Hag who has adapted the principles. There’s no doubt the club missed a trick with Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Nagelsmann. When you’ve got a coaching team that seems to have zero tactical nous, I think it’s completely understandable to look the other way at someone who has changed philosophies at clubs from the top down.
like I said in another thread, Ragnick until the end of the season then Ten Hag in as coach with Ralf moving to the big job as DOF. It’s the right call but it’s one our board won’t ever make. Good to dream though!
You both must be buzzing!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting hearing Klopp say that it's bad news for everyone else that Rangnick is coming in to United. Sounds like he's highly rated in Germany.

His first starting XI will be interesting. Shaw is probably not going to get a huge amount of game time for United if previous comments are anything to go by.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Interesting hearing Klopp say that it's bad news for everyone else that Rangnick is coming in to United. Sounds like he's highly rated in Germany.

His first starting XI will be interesting. Shaw is probably not going to get a huge amount of game time for United if previous comments are anything to go by.
He made that comment on Shaw before Shaw's best season. If Shaw can play like last season then he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Jacob

What comments on Shaw?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He made that comment on Shaw before Shaw's best season. If Shaw can play like last season then he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Ah fair enough, but Shaw has been pretty terrible this season. I think you might look for a new LB in the summer.
What comments on Shaw?
This was a while ago apparently but he basically said that he wasn't very good I think.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
What he says in that interview is completely counter to Ole. Motivation is not the same as inspiration, motivation is having a clear idea that you transfer to the players.

Will be extremely interesting to see which players take to his ideas and his demands. Hopefully he will have a huge say in who is appointed in the summer to carry on his ideas.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ah fair enough, but Shaw has been pretty terrible this season. I think you might look for a new LB in the summer.
Yeah, he is poor this season. Hopefully new manager will change that.