Cody Gakpo: Finish The Story

Lee565

Reminds me a lot of depay when he had to make the step up from playing in Dutch league with impressive stats to then coming to united and struggling and having the same traits as gakpo of not quite understanding his best position and lacking the pace out on the wings

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Is it me or is he really slow, not sure if it's his height but just doesn't appear to have any acceleration

Thiagoal

A few nice turns and touches but he really doesn’t look anything special and certainly not a player to make a meaningful impact for a top team

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Might as well sell him at half price now if you keep playing him as a striker. He will never have a decent performance there.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Looks the exact same player as v Rangers twice,Arsenal twice and at the WC v the better teams. Small sample size but he hasn't stood out when facing anybody decent this season.

redshaw

Yes the Europa games I wasn't impressed, he looked quite slow in the World Cup, players easily catching him up. You have to be careful looking at the Dutch league, with Dirk Kuyt going back there and scoring for fun as well as Memphis. I've liked Gakpo's shooting technique but I don't see him outdoing our left sided players or being a good enough striker to mould.

RuudTom83

He doesnt suit the premier league at all. Too intense for him.
Same as Donny! My biggest worry is the same could apply to FDJ (but that's another thread)

He will find himself on the bench when everyone is fit and nothing will be made of it. But the furore around his signing in the media was more about Liverpool beating United, rather than what he actually does on the pitch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Same as Donny! My biggest worry is the same could apply to FDJ (but that's another thread)

He will find himself on the bench when everyone is fit and nothing will be made of it. But the furore around his signing in the media was more about Liverpool beating United, rather than what he actually does on the pitch.
Not really like Donny. Gakpo gas plenty of weapons like dribbling, crossing and shooting, he just lacks grit or intensity. Donny simply doesnt have a single outstanding attribute which is fine over here where everyone is crap, but in England he is bullied by everyone.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Mad that Liverpool keep playing him up top, when the only reason he ended up there was because United didn’t think he would really improve their options in that position. Our only choices are a perpetually injured Martial and moving Rashford out of his preferred role.

flappyjay

Not really like Donny. Gakpo gas plenty of weapons like dribbling, crossing and shooting, he just lacks grit or intensity. Donny simply doesnt have a single outstanding attribute which is fine over here where everyone is crap, but in England he is bullied by everyone.
As much as I don't want him a to succeed, he is similar to Memphis in the sense that he has a few qualities that can be translated to the top 5 leagues.

Judas

Open to offers
Quite clearly isn’t and never will be a PL level striker. I just don’t see it at all. There is a player there, he’s not shite. But I said it when we were linked, I didn’t fancy him as our striker signing.

We need an rvn

I’m far from a Liverpool Gapko fan and do think it might be a blessing in disguise we didn’t get him, but I really irks me how quickly people are to write off a young player who is new to a country, league and club and all that goes with it.

its like the Antony thread all over again. They’ve both got the attributes to make it at Liverpool and United respectively and just need time to settle in.

cyberman

I’m far from a Liverpool Gapko fan and do think it might be a blessing in disguise we didn’t get him, but I really irks me how quickly people are to write off a young player who is new to a country, league and club and all that goes with it.

its like the Antony thread all over again. They’ve both got the attributes to make it at Liverpool and United respectively and just need time to settle in.
Liverpool wish Nunez and Gakpo had the performances Antony has put in

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The crowing about "beating" us to his signing has certainly subsided hasn't it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

You are completely correct. It’s always been this way. Fans are incredibly knee jerk. It much worse when it’s our own player though. And it happens constantly.

I’m delighted Núñez and Gapko haven’t worked out yet, but certainly in Núñez case you can see that he could very easily come good for them. If he improves his finishing, he’ll be a very dangerous player. Gapko has always looked pretty average for me, but it’s way too early to write him off. Like a season too early.

Abraxas

Should be playing from the left, surely. Never a striker. Doesn't have the aggression to put himself about and make an impact. That's okay with wingers, they come in and out of games and it's okay if the underlying numbers are good, but if your striker goes missing it is abysmal for the team.

cyberman

You are completely correct. It’s always been this way. Fans are incredibly knee jerk. It much worse when it’s our own player though. And it happens constantly.

I’m delighted Núñez and Gapko haven’t worked out yet, but certainly in Núñez case you can see that he could very easily come good for them. If he improves his finishing, he’ll be a very dangerous player. Gapko has always looked pretty average for me, but it’s way too early to write him off. Like a season too early.
Honestly, when’s the last game you saw Nunez play that he was even a nuisance in? He doesn’t even seem to get into positions to score anymore

Threesus

Only 2 more games to go. Sky sports should use the same graphic that they used for sancho.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s looks slow and far too casual. He has some decent touches but I can’t see him being a success in England.

crossy1686

career ending
Quite clearly isn’t and never will be a PL level striker. I just don’t see it at all. There is a player there, he’s not shite. But I said it when we were linked, I didn’t fancy him as our striker signing.
Agree, I didn't see anything in him at the WC that suggested he'd make it at this level or be worth the fee they were asking. £15m, yeah sure, we'll take a punt, anything more than that and you're having a laugh. He has a long, long way to go and looks far too slow to cut it in this league at the top end.