g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cody Gakpo: Finish The Story

lex talionis

One can't rule out the possibility that ETH headfaked his desire for Gakpo, inducing Liverpool to go in for a player may not be a great fit for the EPL after all.

Strootman's Finger

Not a surprise he'd be interested. He had really good stats for PSV.

I don't believe the interest was that strong though, if we REALLY wanted him we would have got it done IMO.

I think as you say, ETH realised Garnacho is actually ready to contribute, so we didn't need another.
The club that spent 3 mil in Jan would have spent 40 mil if we really wanted? I have to be cautious in how I say this, because not everyone follows United as closely as everyone else, but how can you be a United fan and think we had 40 mil available to EtH in Jan? EtH wanted him in Aug, there was no money, he wanted him in Jan, still no money. He was a top priority for EtH, we just have cheap owners.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The club that spent 3 mil in Jan would have spent 40 mil if we really wanted? I have to be cautious in how I say this, because not everyone follows United as closely as everyone else, but how can you be a United fan and think we had 40 mil available to EtH in Jan? EtH wanted him in Aug, there was no money, he wanted him in Jan, still no money. He was a top priority for EtH, we just have cheap owners.
A club like United could find 40m under the sofa if they really wanted, don't be daft.

He simply didn't think he was worth the hassle - and it's proving right so far. If he wanted him that badly why didn't we sign him in the summer too?

Strootman's Finger

A club like United could find 40m under the sofa if they really wanted, don't be daft.

He simply didn't think he was worth the hassle - and it's proving right so far. If he wanted him that badly why didn't we sign him in the summer too?
Because we spent 84 mil on Antony, but EtH wanted both. Again, I'm trying not to be a dick but you're making it challenging, have you followed this club in the last 17 years? We're having a successful season, trying to cement top 4, even pushing for the title and other trophies. A properly run club (ie Arsenal) would see this as an opportunity and buy the players to push for as much as possible. We loaned 3 players for a couple million pounds, to cover a recalled keeper and two injured players... ie, no net positive. Last year we had an opportunity to get top 4, we were in the mix up till Feb, had the club invested in the winter, anyone with passing knowledge of football knew we needed a defensive midfielder, we probably would have got it, they did nothing, and we failed spectacularly. Again, a proper club would have brought players in and guaranteed top 4, making a rebuild easier. But this club will not spend anymore than the bare minimum (factoring in the fact they are so poor at their jobs we usually massively overpay for the players we do get). EtH was practically begging for players every time they put a mic in front of him. No, we couldn't find 40 mil.

criticalanalysis

Not a surprise he'd be interested. He had really good stats for PSV.

I don't believe the interest was that strong though, if we REALLY wanted him we would have got it done IMO.

I think as you say, ETH realised Garnacho is actually ready to contribute, so we didn't need another.
Watch this, forgot which minute but pretty much says the same regarding transfers and that players improve so the project of Utd for him changes etc:

Miro Karhan

Supports
One touch footie
Still cant figure him out, what he actually is. Maybe in a well oiled team, he might bring something. Nice goal tonight.

Wing Attack Plan R

Who would he have replaced in our team? CF is the only area we are light in across the front, and he isn’t one. The Liverpool- Everton game was pretty dire, very low quality, with Everton looking like a pub team. Even with that caveat, Gakpo didn’t particularly impress. We’ve got Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho, and Antony for the flanks, and I wouldnt trade any of those for him. I know his goal contributions level top in Europe but I just don't see anything special when he plays.

Robbie Boy

He's been very poor. Surprised if he ends up being anything more than a squaddie for a-few seasons before being binned.

Idxomer

He makes a couple of decent moves every game but apart from that he has no outstanding quality whatsoever.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He isnt and will never be a striker. The second he's on the left he gets into scoring position (and missed but still). One of the weirdest transfers in recent memory. Liverpool dont need him at all. They honestly wouldve benefitted more from Weghorst.

And because he now plays at pool the caf hates him, which makes me sad. He's a nice dude :wenger:

suheilsworld

I think there’s a good player there. I see similarities in terms of him joining pool and Sancho joining us - coming into a disjointed , low morale squad. Too soon to write him off. I’ll give him a full season under klopp with pre-season before deciding.
On current performances, yes, he does look quite an average player

Adam-Utd

he’s not a bad player, but he’s sadio mane either.

Liverpool lucked out massively getting 3 world class forwards in a row

Amarsdd

was an average player who still looks average. So, idk what's the surprise here

bringbackbebe

he’s not a bad player, but he’s sadio mane either.

Liverpool lucked out massively getting 3 world class forwards in a row
To be fair, none of them were world class when Klopp got them (he didn't actually get Firmino though - that was Rodgers). Think the attacking lineup of Diaz-Nunez-Gakpo/Jota could still click if they have other areas of the pitch sorted out (basically CB, RB, LB, DM, CM). Terrible defence and a useless lazy midfield can make the best of attack seem useless. You know there's a serious issue there when Mudryk looked like prime Messi against them and has basically been invisible since.

Amarsdd

He was hardly average at PSV.
I'll give you that he had good numbers there this season but always looked very average to me. Mind you I had only watched about 10 games of him including in the wc. So wasn't really bothered when Liverpool supposedly "snatched" him from our grasps.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'll give you that he had good numbers there this season but always looked very average to me. Mind you I had only watched about 10 games of him including in the wc. So wasn't really bothered when Liverpool supposedly "snatched" him from our grasps.
The 3 wc goals definitely "helped" with seeing him as a striker I guess since he played there at the world cup.

Gakpo is a good left winger, but has no qualities needed for a CF at all if you ask me. Not strong or tenacious enough, but you can see the odd rush forward at Liverpool which is usually his strenght.

Amarsdd

The 3 wc goals definitely "helped" with seeing him as a striker I guess since he played there at the world cup.

Gakpo is a good left winger, but has no qualities needed for a CF at all if you ask me. Not strong or tenacious enough, but you can see the odd rush forward at Liverpool which is usually his strenght.
Even as a left winger I don't really see much in him esp. in the Klopp system. He seems to play with no intensity at all and not great on the ball either.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He'll be fine once Liverpool are on top of their opponents, what hasn't been the case lately. And Gakpo isn't the kind of player to get them there imo, to be honest they seem to have a lot o of those players so this transfer seems a bit strange.

Anyway, they can't get it perfectly right every time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Even as a left winger I don't really see much in him esp. in the Klopp system. He seems to play with no intensity at all and not great on the ball either.
The intensity part is why he'll never make it in the premier league if you ask me. Spain or Germany seem more suited.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The intensity part is why he'll never make it in the premier league if you ask me. Spain or Germany seem more suited.
Yeah, I think that’s the key word - he’s not aggressive or tenacious enough for the PL at this point, with no outstanding “physical” qualities which can make up for that which he lacks.

But as you say, not suited to the CF role at all and at this point, best served trying to compete or cover for Diaz and Salah on the wings (more Diaz due to him being the LW).

Mmxxii

With the eventual return of Diaz, there might be no place for him in the starting line up as a left winger. CF position will be taken by Nunez. I think he will eventually be sold.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
To be fair, none of them were world class when Klopp got them (he didn't actually get Firmino though - that was Rodgers). Think the attacking lineup of Diaz-Nunez-Gakpo/Jota could still click if they have other areas of the pitch sorted out (basically CB, RB, LB, DM, CM). Terrible defence and a useless lazy midfield can make the best of attack seem useless. You know there's a serious issue there when Mudryk looked like prime Messi against them and has basically been invisible since.
Can't see it. None of those can play on the right from what I've seen and all 4 are arguably better on the left than down the middle. It's a mess

DickDastardly

The most important part is - he's not cnutish enough for Pool. Yet.

I have no doubt he'll get the dark arts training soon.

Yesterday was a prime example of that.
The one chance he missed when Salah put him through, the keeper got a touch on him, yet, amazingly, he didn't make a meal of it.

Got up and played on.

Imagine that was Salah or some other cnut trained in rolling on the floor, that would at least get a VAR check.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
With the eventual return of Diaz, there might be no place for him in the starting line up as a left winger. CF position will be taken by Nunez. I think he will eventually be sold.
Nunez is possibly even worse than Gakpo. Baffling transfer for that amount of money. They wont sell him as quickly of course, since you'd take about an 80% loss.

Diaz will definitely take Gakpo's spot on the left and even old man Firmino is a better 9 (no idea of Firmino is old actually).

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Nunez is possibly even worse than Gakpo. Baffling transfer for that amount of money. They wont sell him as quickly of course, since you'd take about an 80% loss.

Diaz will definitely take Gakpo's spot on the left and even old man Firmino is a better 9 (no idea of Firmino is old actually).
I think Nunez could develop into a really good player personally. I don't see that with Gakpo.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think Nunez could develop into a really good player personally. I don't see that with Gakpo.
With what Gakpo has shown at pool so far I completely understand that sentiment. On the wing I think Gakpo can be a great player, not top of the premier league great, but alot better than he looks now. As for Nunez, I dunno, his decision making is just so insanely bad I doubt he will ever become a smart enough player to reach the top. He's also a play acting twat, so maybe I secretly don't want him to become world class.

Adam-Utd

Mane/Salah were all doing excellent before he signed them, but obviously went up a level. Firmino was doing good stuff in Germany too and was linked to many big clubs (us included)

Obviously Klopp has helped them kick on, but Klopp didn't actually want to sign Salah in the first place. His first choice was Julian Brandt!

It just shows that recruitment always has an element of luck.

Mike Smalling

I would agree with that. For this United side, I would definitely pick Nunez over Gakpo. Nunez has a bad miss in him, and in general some questionable technique, but he brings real intensity, speed and physicality as well. We've seen a few example of how dangerous he can be on the break, and when he has to finish with his first touch. I don't think he will ever be able to reach the same height that Mane and Salah did, that seems obvious, but he could be a decent player.

Gakpo looks like one of those awkward players that may not have an obvious best position. He looks a bit lumbering to me, and didn't do a good job of holding on to the ball against Palace.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Goady Cackpoo.
Fake smile, fake happyness, thank God we did not get him. Flopko
Just a shit Huntelaar.
He isnt and will never be a striker. The second he's on the left he gets into scoring position (and missed but still). One of the weirdest transfers in recent memory. Liverpool dont need him at all. They honestly wouldve benefitted more from Weghorst.

And because he now plays at pool the caf hates him, which makes me sad. He's a nice dude :wenger:
bit of a Ryan Babel for me
was an average player who still looks average. So, idk what's the surprise here
Thank you one and all. Especially countryman @KirkDuyt who hasn't got a clue to rub on his own national players. :D