Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herman Toothrot

Does it matter? Eth wanted Nunes now we are for sesko. He wanted tiny Timber he had to settle for tinier Martinez, he wanted de jong and after 2 months it's still up in the air. He wanted Antony and we are now for Cody whatsoever. We are now scrapping the bottom of the barrel here
So get three or four specific players or its a total fecking disaster? Dang, what a fantasy world we live in.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So get three or four specific players or its a total fecking disaster? Dang, what a fantasy world we live in.
ETH had come out with a rather realistic list. He went for the likes of Timber, Antony, De Jong (who is for sale) and Nunez not De Bruyne, Vlahovic, Vincinius Jnr or Mbappe. Yet somehow we're always ending up having to resort for his 2nd-3rd choice. Meanwhile we're starting with McFred in midfield because we've yet to sign a CM despite losing both Matic and Pogba. That's a disaster.

Meanwhile Spurs had signed 6 players having previously signed 2 in January.

noelyman

Yep. He's one who hasn't even proven he's squad player material. Would normally be sold fairly soon but he came in at a time when the teams worm rate was being questioned and he gave that.
Ooh! That sounds disgusting. We’re measuring how many worms or how many players with worms are in the team now are we? :lol:

Mr PG

Does it matter? Eth wanted Nunes now we are for sesko. He wanted tiny Timber he had to settle for tinier Martinez, he wanted de jong and after 2 months it's still up in the air. He wanted Antony and we are now for Cody whatsoever. We are now scrapping the bottom of the barrel here
I’ll trust the man who’s watched him play against his teams for a few years now.

dutchred

I think Gakpo is a better all round forward than Antony (and I am an Ajax fan). He can play anywhere along the front line.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I’ll trust the man who’s watched him play against his teams for a few years now.
I think Gakpo is a better all round forward than Antony (and I am an Ajax fan). He can play anywhere along the front line.
That's not the point. Its evident that he's ETH's 2nd-3rd choice player and as Mr PG said I'll trust the man whose watching them both play for a few years now. No disrespect to you though @dutchred who I am sure you know the Dutch league FAR better then I do

GreatDane

Only seen him on youtube so forgive me, but it seems he mostly plays on the left and sometimes center. Can he play on the right? Seems we're the most vulnerable there.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Feels like a strange move going for another LW since we all know Sancho plays on the right because Rashford can only play on the left.
That said, I have a feeling this might be the last season for Rashford here, and I don't really rate him as a winger. So yeah, would be nice to get this guy as well. I'm a big fan since this morning.
It feels kind of strange we hear about it so late in the window. Maybe it's because of his funny name.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Interested whether you think ETH more likely sees him wide or through the middle…

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Only seen him on youtube so forgive me, but it seems he mostly plays on the left and sometimes center. Can he play on the right? Seems we're the most vulnerable there.
I dont think I have ever seen him play there, but I really doubt he would feel comfortable there.. Him playing on the left as a rightfooter at least provided him with the option to come inside and threaten with the shot.. He will lose that threat when coming from the right, which I think would make him a far more predictable player..

RkkMan

That's not the point. Its evident that he's ETH's 2nd-3rd choice player and as Mr PG said I'll trust the man whose watching them both play for a few years now. No disrespect to you though @dutchred who I am sure you know the Dutch league FAR better then I do
You realize its very common for managers to get plan Bs?
Even several of Pep/Klopp`s signings were plan B/Cs Haaland(Pep wanted Kane), Ruben Dias(Pep wanted Koulibaly), Salah(Klopp wanted Brandt), Mane(Klopp wanted Gotze) amongst the examples
The FDJ fiasco isn`t on us with all the ridiculous politics behind the scenes but it seems to be approaching climax
Timber wasn`t Utd`s fault that LVG was a bitter old man and Martinez who had a better season/better player is a fine alternative THE MANAGER WANTED
Antony wasn`t Utd`s fault that Ajax set a ridiculous fee after losing many players. Dutch League followers think Gakpo is better and most importantly Ten Hag wants him so if we get him that`s what matters
I will put my hands up and agree that we dithered on Nunez but if we get Sesko that`s a good compensation considering he`s the next "breakout star"

jamesjimmybyrondean

You realize its very common for managers to get plan Bs?
Even several of Pep/Klopp`s signings were plan B/Cs Haaland(Pep wanted Kane), Ruben Dias(Pep wanted Koulibaly), Salah(Klopp wanted Brandt), Mane(Klopp wanted Gotze) amongst the examples
The FDJ fiasco isn`t on us with all the ridiculous politics behind the scenes but it seems to be approaching climax
Timber wasn`t Utd`s fault that LVG was a bitter old man and Martinez who had a better season/better player is a fine alternative THE MANAGER WANTED
Antony wasn`t Utd`s fault that Ajax set a ridiculous fee after losing many players. Dutch League followers think Gakpo is better and most importantly Ten Hag wants him so if we get him that`s what matters
I will put my hands up and agree that we dithered on Nunez but if we get Sesko that`s a good compensation considering he`s the next "breakout star"
Even Nunez was overpriced. There are reasonable reasons why we didn't get some of ETH first choice

tombombadil

No idea if he's any good. Seems he scores goals and plays CF as well. So could be Gakpo up front and Martial on the left or vice versa whenever Rashford gets injured. etc etc. Lots of combinations between the 3 of them. Sancho will default right. Elanga, not sure, but probably forced into a backup right winger role since he is young.

But then again, this is the mirror. Could be just hot air.

RkkMan

Even Nunez was overpriced. There are reasonable reasons why we didn't get some of ETH first choice
If we end up buying a 19yr old Sesko for around 40m then I dont think it`ll justify missing out on Nunez. It`ll show the money was there all along. That`s one deal we could and should have done
The rest however is just Utd fans as always looking for a reason to moan on things out of our hands

worldinmotion66

Like Gakpo a lot. He's more versatile than Sesko and is ready to make an immediate impact. He looked very sharp playing up top for Holland against Wales when Lang played on the wing, I think his future may be as a centre forward.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Our squad planning is horrendous. We have a bunch of players who like to play at #10 and #11, no #6s, a bunch of left backs. Its literally throw it at the wall and see what sticks stuff.

So, basically, he's another Memphis Depay?
No. I wouldn’t say so.
I dont think I have ever seen him play there, but I really doubt he would feel comfortable there.. Him playing on the left as a rightfooter at least provided him with the option to come inside and threaten with the shot.. He will lose that threat when coming from the right, which I think would make him a far more predictable player..
He’s played there previously but it’s not his best use. As a Rashford competition/understudy hed be great or as a potential rotation with Martial/Ronaldo too.

We are light up top and we don’t want to be in a position where Rashford gets injured and our solution is play Sancho LW this losing our RW attacking influence.

GreatDane

Thanks for that. I would prefer someone who can be a threat from the right also, but he looks very interesting still.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Too big of a risk. He's a good player, but he's not Man United level good. He would benefit greatly from moving to a smaller side first, get used to a higher level of play and then ultimately moving to a top side if he's still doing well. Over the last 10 or more years PSV don't have the best track record when it comes to youngsters having success abroad and it's a massive gamble.

I would say I'm more positive if it's someone that ETH really wants, because I have placed my full faith in him right now, but I would personally pass on Cody. These stats shown above are also against an Ajax defense that's in absolute shambles under Schreuder thus far and FC Emmen, a team no one on the caf except us Dutchies has ever heard of.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I cant see this link going anywhere.
Think we're all in for FDJ, obviously, and Sesko for the remainder of the window.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
ETH had come out with a rather realistic list. He went for the likes of Timber, Antony, De Jong (who is for sale) and Nunez not De Bruyne, Vlahovic, Vincinius Jnr or Mbappe. Yet somehow we're always ending up having to resort for his 2nd-3rd choice. Meanwhile we're starting with McFred in midfield because we've yet to sign a CM despite losing both Matic and Pogba. That's a disaster.

Meanwhile Spurs had signed 6 players having previously signed 2 in January.
Eriksen will be a CM
Timber didn’t want to move - not our fault
Nunez picked Liverpool - not the fault of recruiters but up to us to turn that opinion round with making us more successful
DeJong - still up in the air

please stop trying to twist everything into a negative, I know you’re smarter than that

lysglimt

Scout
Ideally - we should have every single target in place for the start of the season - but how about if we wait until the end of the transfer window before we complain about the lack of transfers. I am quite convinced we will have signed 2 or 3 more players when we are playing Leicester september 1st

Rolaholic

We're quite overstocked with left sided forwards but he definitely seems a talent with a higher potential ceiling than Antony

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Says the smart arxes who think we have world class players in our first team.
It’s frustrating because there are some quality options around Gakpo, David etc who are young and full of potential but have also shown quality too.

David was instrumental in Lille’s league win and Canada’s qualification. Gakpo was the best player in Eredivise and single handedly pushed PSV in their title race too.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It’s frustrating because there are some quality options around Gakpo, David etc who are young and full of potential but have also shown quality too.

David was instrumental in Lille’s league win and Canada’s qualification. Gakpo was the best player in Eredivise and single handedly pushed PSV in their title race too.
I am surprised David hasn't had more suitors, very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.