Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No, I get it. All I'm saying is the left is not badly off because I'm not even convinced Sancho has to be a right winger, the jury is out on what his best position is. Over his career he has been more productive on the left. But when he doesn't play on the right, which is every single game he cannot play through tiredness, injury or form, we have a graveyard of options to play there. That's why I think a right sided player gives us loads of flexibility.

Of course it would be good to have a guy that can play striker and other positions but getting 2 seems incredibly unlikely. We also currently have this bloke called Ronaldo who we might be forced to deal with and there's only one place he's playing when he does. If he stays he's going to be used even if not favoured.
Used yes favoured no. And he needs options in order to get Ronaldo to fall in line obviously.

RW Antony is coming in for. Antony is the winger signing. Gakpo is more the forward signing (after missing Sesko)

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Given he prefers Rashford and Martial in the 9 to Ronaldo… maybe you are wrong.
United played the counterattack today. If United play against teams like Crystal Palace and Wolves with less space you're going to be in a position where sometimes it's nice to have a striker that can head the ball as well. EtH needs to have an option like that as well. Cody brings nothing that Rashford and Martial don't have. It makes no sense to bring a third, inferior, player with the same characteristics.

Cassidy

United played the counterattack today. If United play against teams like Crystal Palace and Wolves with less space you're going to be in a position where sometimes it's nice to have a striker that can head the ball as well. EtH needs to have an option like that as well. Cody brings nothing that Rashford and Martial don't have. It makes no sense to bring a third, inferior, player with the same characteristics.
The manager clearly disagrees

Abraxas

Used yes favoured no. And he needs options in order to get Ronaldo to fall in line obviously.

RW Antony is coming in for
I'm just not sure we're going to be seeing both. If it happens, it would be brilliant for the manager but I think we'll get one and I think the priority will be Antony if the funds are there because of the balance of options and where they can effectively play.

ST
Martial
Rashford
Ronaldo (currently, if he leaves maybe priorities have to change)

LW
Rashford
Sancho
Martial (at a push, doesn't really cover a fullback)
Elanga

RW
Sancho

It's also probably not escaped the managers attention that we have 0 natural left footers up front. If he didn't like that in central defence he's definitely not going to be happy with it up front either.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He looks absolutely miles ahead of Rashford with receiving the ball and holding it up back to goal.

Cassidy

I'm just not sure we're going to be seeing both. If it happens, it would be brilliant for the manager but I think we'll get one and I think the priority will be Antony if the funds are there because of the balance of options and where they can effectively play.

ST
Martial
Rashford
Ronaldo (currently, if he leaves maybe priorities have to change)

LW
Rashford
Sancho
Martial (at a push, doesn't really cover a fullback)
Elanga

RW
Sancho

It's also probably not escaped the managers attention that we have 0 natural left footers up front. If he didn't like that in central defence he's definitely not going to be happy with it up front either.
His name is Antony.

Cassidy

And you have no opinion on whether we should be targeting Anthony or Gakpo, if we can only get one?
Where did I say that?
I’m saying I understand signing both because they are clearly VERY different player profiles. If its a choice then its Antony all day

redshaw

I do worry if this is one player too much but we always fall into the trap of thinking Rashford Martial will come good. With Gakpo his injury problems might work in our juggling of these players but I'm also expecting ETH to spark some life into our existing players. Sancho and Antony are huge signings that will play.

The other thing is ETH won't be banking on counters longer term so it's possible existing players will be moved on and this traditional centre forward might not be available or preferred.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
The manager clearly disagrees
I don't know if he does. I think Gakpo is mostly a smokescreen, because United think Ajax will be more inclined to sell Antony. I don't think it will have that effect at all.

I don't think United will end up with Gakpo, especially not after tonights performances. These Gakpo rumours started last week. Especially Rashford was already completely written off by everyone. Take him out of the squad and signing Gakpo to bring fresh blood makes more sense. After tonights performance I think also within United there'll be doubts on whether to spend €60m on a player thats similar to two players already in the squad, is a very sensible move.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Oh that last part is absolutely true, bur thats not the debate here. I'm questioning whether this is the right move for United.

I don't think he is. I just dont see why United would bring another player that's basicly a copy of Rashford and Martial, but one that's really not better. It'd be much more logical to bring in a totally different type of player. That's why Antony makes more sense as he offers qualities that arent in the squad yet. After Ronaldo leaves United should focus on getting a #9 rather than another LW that might make a decent stiker as well.

I also think it'd be a stupid move from Gakpo's side. He won't play a lot. His WC chances would severly decrease. Especially if PSV qualify for CL he's much better off staying one more year, developing himself, also getting CL experience, increase his chances of a WC experience and then make a move being much better equipped.
Since Romano is fairly credible source, what if Ten Hag is fundamentally changing shape of attack and Martial / Rashford could be placed on bench permanently ? Gakpo's rich involvement in PSV attacks were their key element and ETH perhaps could want the same level of involvement for United, this is also why he goes after Antony who's overall explosive & tenacious type of player.

From what I see Erik wants Ronaldo to stay, so for me it's really intriguing what he'll do with number 9 role with only two weeks more.

northernsoul74

Never understood these valuations of they want “between 40-50 mil”. Ok we’ll pay the 40m thanks.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
He looks absolutely miles ahead of Rashford with receiving the ball and holding it up back to goal.
Back to the goal? Sure you might have found a clip with one or two of those situations, but it's not like Gakpo is in these positions very often. PSV is also more of a counterattacking side. Gakpo actually plays a lot like Rashford does from the leftside. He's the most dangerous when there's some space on the break and he can run with the ball and drive inside from the left. I'd say Rashford is stronger and faster, Gakpo is slightly better in finishing with his feet, Rashford is better in finishing with the head, Gakpo is probably better with his crosses. Rashford on the other hand is used to PL intensity and physicality and the question is if Gakpo can handle it. I wouldn't spend 60m on a player similar to one already there.

Antony is also overpriced now. I can admit that btw, before this turns into a 'you're an Ajax fan so that's why your not positive about him'-discussion. That's really not it. The difference is Antony really is a potential world class player, Gakpo isn't. You won't find another player like Antony anywhere at this point. Not with his potential. I'm sure in PL, Ligue 1, Liga NOS you'll be able to find players with Gakpo's characteristics, but more developed and more used to higher physicality and intensity, for the same pricetag. If you're going to overspent, it makes some sense to do it for a special talent (even if thats still a risk - in the end all transfers are risks and especially talents) not for a player that's not special in any way.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Since Romano is fairly credible source, what if Ten Hag is fundamentally changing shape of attack and Martial / Rashford could be placed on bench permanently ? Gakpo's rich involvement in PSV attacks were their key element and ETH perhaps could want the same level of involvement for United, this is also why he goes after Antony who's overall explosive & tenacious type of player.

From what I see Erik wants Ronaldo to stay, so for me it's really intriguing what he'll do with number 9 role with only two weeks more.
I don't think Gakpo is a player that fundamentally changes Utds game though. PSV have always played a completely different style to Ajax. PSV have not played Hag ball at all in recent years and Gakpo excells mainly in counterattacking situations (like Rashford and Martial). Hence why it doesn't make sense to me, especially not for top dollar.

rbnZz

We have a few decent lads for counters, like we could see yesterday. Elanga, Martial, Rashford and Sancho are all very quick. I can imagine Ten Hag wants Antony on the right side because it will be a long season and they could rotate when it is necessary. But I still don't understand why we would buy Gakpo. Rashford, Elanga and Sancho could all play on the left. Why not saving the money and go for a striker instead. Especially a striker who could force when there is less space because then Martial will have a problem. A striker like Mitrovic. That is the same type of player Ten Hag used as striker at Ajax (Haller).

Jacob

We have a few decent lads for counters, like we could see yesterday. Elanga, Martial, Rashford and Sancho are all very quick. I can imagine Ten Hag wants Antony on the right side because it will be a long season and they could rotate when it is necessary. But I still don't understand why we would buy Gakpo. Rashford, Elanga and Sancho could all play on the left. Why not saving the money and go for a striker instead. Especially a striker who could force when there is less space because then Martial will have a problem. A striker like Mitrovic. That is the same type of player Ten Hag used as striker at Ajax (Haller).
Let's not pretend Elanga is a senior option. Rashford has been terrible for years too. It's a kl well to have options but when most of them are poor, it doesn't matter.

Telsim

I'd rather we skip Gakpo and play Garnacho there, but it seems like Ten Hag either doesn't rate him or doesn't think he is ready yet. I hope we don't lose him over this. It would be incredibly stupid.

Guapa

I'd rather we skip Gakpo and play Garnacho there, but it seems like Ten Hag either doesn't rate him or doesn't think he is ready yet. I hope we don't lose him over this. It would be incredibly stupid.
Could not agree more.Don’t see anything special in Gakpo and Garnacho looks good enough for chances from the bench imo.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Get the impression almost everything is in place and its just a case of letting Wednesday night come and go.

I wonder if the outcome of that game will have an impact on the fee though.

Bondi77

Get the impression almost everything is in place and its just a case of letting Wednesday night come and go.

I wonder if the outcome of that game will have an impact on the fee though.
If they make Chmps Lgue why would he leave?
It is a world cup year as well so he needs to be playing regularly.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Gakpo would be replacing Ronaldo’s place in the squad. Garnacho will still be on the bench.

nainaisson

He wants his forwards to press, which requires a lot of rotation to avoid injury. Garnacho will get plenty of games.

Cassidy

Garnacho can’t play as a 9. He will get minutes anyway. Also Gakpo adds a more physical presence in the forward line which we’ll need for some games

Marwood

If this was happening with or without Antony I think it would already be done.

There's no reason for it to be taking this long.

Cassidy

If this was happening with or without Antony I think it would already be done.

There's no reason for it to be taking this long.
Except for the well documented reason of the club only looking at bids after UCL qualification

Marwood

Think everyone is waiting for their CL qualification matches
Except for the well documented reason of the club only looking at bids after UCL qualification
It doesn't ring true to me that. I don't think it's actually been confirmed by anyone either. Just journalists guessing.

Gakpo would be doing his nut if that were the case.

Possibly missing out on a transfer to United so he can play four games for Feyernord.

We'll see I suppose.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
It doesn't ring true to me that. I don't think it's actually been confirmed by anyone either. Just journalists guessing.

Gakpo would be doing his nut if that were the case.

Possibly missing out on a transfer to United so he can play four games for Feyernord.

We'll see I suppose.
He plays for PSV. And why would he be missing out on his move? We’ve agreed personal terms and they will only sell after the CL qualifier. It makes perfect sense and has been reported for weeks by journalists close to the club.

Telsim

Garnacho can’t play as a 9. He will get minutes anyway. Also Gakpo adds a more physical presence in the forward line which we’ll need for some games
Why would Gakpo come and play as a 9? He is most effective on the left. If Ten Hag wants a 9 there are better options out there. That doesn't makes sense.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Long season and we need plenty of options.

With 5 subs also being allowed per game it gives even more reason to have players like Gapko, whether or not he’s similar to what we have.

Cassidy

Why would Gakpo come and play as a 9? He is most effective on the left. If Ten Hag wants a 9 there are better options out there. That doesn't makes sense.
Which better options? He wants versatile forwards as has been said many times.

Marwood

He plays for PSV. And why would he be missing out on his move? We’ve agreed personal terms and they will only sell after the CL qualifier. It makes perfect sense and has been reported for weeks by journalists close to the club.
Because if you delay a move to United this late into the window who knows what can happen. The move could easily not happen if we go and sign Antony and/or de Jong

I don't think a player would want to risk that for a few qualifiers.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Because if you delay a move to United this late into the window who knows what can happen. The move could easily not happen if we go and sign Antony and/or de Jong

PSV are refusing to sell before the qualifier. It’s fairly simple and seems completely reasonable. And if we aren’t going to sign Gakpo if we sign Antony or De Jong he’ll be waiting anyway - we aren’t just going to give up on them if there’s still a chance because Gakpo is available earlier. However, it seems very likely to me we want both.

Marwood

PSV are refusing to sell before the qualifier. It’s fairly simple and seems completely reasonable. And if we aren’t going to sign Gakpo if we sign Antony or De Jong he’ll be waiting anyway - we aren’t just going to give up on them if there’s still a chance because Gakpo is available earlier. However, it seems very likely to me we want both.
Maybe. We'll soon find out.

For me if this was happening it would already had happened.

Bondi77

Agreed personal terms?????
Where have you pulled that from?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel

He’s got the same agent as ETH so if personal terms have been agreed then he can rest easy knowing the transfer will be wrapped up. United are allowing him to play the last qualifier to avoid distractions and media around it until after.

OT_United

How do we feel about Antony & Gakpo in, Ronaldo out? Leaves Martial as our no.9 with Gakpo and Rashford as cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.