Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirAlexsglasses

Will probably be serving a lengthy ban.
Possibly but from what I believe he had been betting on games that he wasn’t involved in, listen I’m no expert but from what I’ve heard/ read he could escape with a hefty fine and a few games. He’s the type of striker we need rather than false 9’s.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We're the laughing stock again.

He surely wanted to come here and not to them.

reddev3

Made no sense for us with the options we currently have. I was hoping he didn't end up at Liverpool that looks like the perfect team for his skills.
These are my thoughts exactly, I'm glad we're not getting him because we need a real CF but I'm gutted Liverpool are getting him because he looks like he will be amazing there. With the chances they create and his finishing he could be scoring every week.

Last edited:

Dan_F

Aren't Liverpool up for sale as well? How can they afford this but we can't... hmmm....remembers who runs our club. Mystery solved.
Because their net spend was about £15 million in the summer. What indication have you previously had that the Glazers won’t give money for transfers, we’ve got one of the highest transfer spends in world football. They just spent it in the wrong way, and this signing would likely have been a continuation of that.

Herman Toothrot

But did we want or try and sign him? By all means have a tantrum, but let's establish the facts first.

“We are aware we have lost a striker so need to get one in, but he has to be the right one who brings quality into the team, not just adding to the squad. The criteria is high here at Man United.”

It doesn't sound like Gakpo, does it?

Red00012

We have Rashford , Sancho , Garnacho and Elanga who can play on the left.
Garnacho would have been better off fecking off on a free to Madrid if we had signed Gakpo

Acquire Me

This is my thoughts exactly, I'm glad we're not getting him because we need a real CF but I'm gutted Liverpool are getting him because he looks like he will be amazing there. With the chances they create and his finishing he could be scoring every week.
We can’t go buying players we don’t actually need just because they need him and it’s the right move for them. So all in all this was perfect news for me.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
But did we want or try and sign him? By all means have a tantrum, but let's establish the facts first.

“We are aware we have lost a striker so need to get one in, but he has to be the right one who brings quality into the team, not just adding to the squad. The criteria is high here at Man United.”

It doesn't sound like Gakpo, does it?
A tantrum!!!??

Our owners want to sell our club and presently don't want to fish out any money for a decent striker.

Do we really want to get into the CL??

Hughie77

Imo this guy was looked at in the Summer, and utd went for Antony instead. He's a wide player and we have plenty of those, a striker imo ETH is after .
So if we need to keep our powder dry to get one.
Imo PSV have been a bit disparate to sell him as well, it's a easy buy. Only time will tell if its good or bad.

Castia

A tantrum!!!??

Our owners want to sell our club and presently don't want to fish out any money for a decent striker.

Do we really want to get into the CL??
Yeah we need a decent striker. Thank feck we’re not buying Gakpo who is primarily a left winger.

Garnacho is miles better than this guy by the way.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah we need a decent striker. Thank feck we’re not buying Gakpo who is primarily a left winger.

Garnacho is miles better than this guy by the way.
Verdict is still out on that… can’t put too much pressure on garnacho. He didn’t even go to the World Cup with Argentina. Let’s give him time to develop. Im sure garnacho will become quality though

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Don't they need a midfielder? Why did they go for Gakpo?

Surely Diaz, Firmino, Nunez, Salah, Jota is enough.
Talksport were talking to Didi Hamann this morning and he thought he will move him into an attacking midfielder role, more central. More to do with his size.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Seen a few Liverpool people thinking they've got one over on us here.
Don't see it myself.

Scored a couple in the World cup but that's not necessarily a benchmark. And he's without doubt not the central striker we actually could do with.

padzilla

Hipster
I couldn't care less about Gakpo playing for someone else, it looked a strange fit for us when we desperately need a striker to play down the middle.

However, the fact the media is being briefed we don't have the money is more than concerning.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we already have rashford sancho and elanga for the LW position. gakpo seems a decent player but it’s really not a big thing like we are crying out for him. i’d rather spend on another CM.

Norris Cole

Cant help feeling a lot of pepole are over-reacting.
We need a proper goalscorer and Gakpo at the moment isn't a proven one.
Sure he may turn out to be a goalscoring beast, but right now we need someone with a better track record of goals - we have the flairy wingers and number 10's already

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's a weird one isn't it.

Most would agree that he's not a player we needed at all, but the United PR machine has been talking it up for weeks.

To me it seems as another one EtH would have been happy with as part of his drive to evolve the squad, but the powers that be were complacent and didn't feel the need to move right now - which is fine in a world where they don't use mouthpieces online to talk it up.

My view is I'm not particularly bothered, but it's another example of the need to stop briefing the press about transfers. We know it happens, and it's just juvenile at this point, especially when the end result is a player ending up at Liverpool. I don't think he was particularly high on our list, but the outside world will just run with a narrative now.

zenith

Cant help feeling a lot of pepole are over-reacting.
We need a proper goalscorer and Gakpo at the moment isn't a proven one.
Sure he may turn out to be a goalscoring beast, but right now we need someone with a better track record of goals - we have the flairy wingers and number 10's already
This

I'm not entirely sure we were in for him. We need a no. 9, a proper striker and gapko is not that. Liverpool needed a left sided winger and he will suit that perfectly.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Would have been nice to get if we have spare change at the end of the transfer window after getting in all our primary targets (I'd think a CF and a CM are more pressing needs now). However, we can't prioritise another LW when we have gaping holes in the squad which must be filled if we are serious about achieving CL qualification this season as minimum goal. Losing Gakpo is really not worth losing sleep over.

Also, what's with the comments about his name... is it some pun which I didn't get? I bet if I used my real last name on this board, I might receive similar comments? :confused:

So, this kid any good?

Such a shit last name.
Turn of events. If you believe Steve sause sausage.

Shit name anyway.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
And if we'd have signed him, they'd have been laughing at us saying he's a winger or he's slow or he's the next Depay.

Rameses

Why would PSV sell Gapko for a low price, at this time and in a great hurry ? For a forward who is currently in demand, a selling club wouldn't want to do business in secret. They would put multiple bidders against each other to drive up the price. They could have easily waited for the summer, talked to multiple clubs and collected a bigger profit.

Is there anything going on here that is not visible to the eye ?

DevilRed

Don't see it myself.

Scored a couple in the World cup but that's not necessarily a benchmark. And he's without doubt not the central striker we actually could do with.
They got one over us In the same way they spunked 90m on Nunez.

I’m sure Gakpo is a decent player, but they seem to now have about 5 left sided forwards.

The Dane

While Liverpool are slowly building up a solid squad with 15-20 proven world class players like City, some in here are saying no problem we have Elanga and Garnacho.
If Liverpool gets Bellingham also we can forget about catching up on them for the next many years

DevilRed

Why would PSV sell Gapko for a low price, at this time and in a great hurry ? For a forward who is currently in demand, a selling club wouldn't want to do business in secret. They would put multiple bidders against each other to drive up the price. They could have easily waited for the summer, talked to multiple clubs and collected a bigger profit.

Is there anything going on here that is not visible to the eye ?
That’s because 6 months ago he was gash and nobody wanted him. Now that he has had half a good season they are going to sell him immediately before anyone realizes

TheReligion

Abusive
While Liverpool are slowly building up a solid squad with 15-20 proven world class players like City, some in here are saying no problem we have Elanga and Garnacho.
If Liverpool gets Bellingham also we can forget about catching up on them for the next many years
What? sorry but that’s a ridiculous post bringing up two youth players.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If Liverpool had 15 world class players before signing Gakpo they still have 15 now.

Dannn411

Not bothered with the player going there. We're not going to get every single decent player. That's just the nature of the league we're in. I'm more annoyed with what we paid for Antony versus what they have paid for Gakpo. Its a massive overpay on our part caused by poor decision making and is probably hampering our chase for a striker.

Robbie Boy

Oh no, not Gakpo and Bellingham :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveCoppellFan

A proper decent number 9 over Gapko any day of the week.

What is annoying is the fact Liverpool just make us look rubbish when it comes to transfer dealings.

If United had signed Gapko, it would have been for way more money and taken weeks to finalize.

It is what it is ... been the same for years.

TheReligion

Abusive
People are saying the very same things they said when Pool signed Mane. This is a very astute signing for Klopp!
This is exactly what I was thinking. This thread reminds me of the thread when Mane was signed. Eerily similar.
Id have to dig out the Mane thread (he was someone I really wanted the club to sign by the way) but in terms of where the players are the scenario is very different.

Mane had played 75 games for Southampton, scored 25 goals and had 14 assists. He was consistently getting better at the top level and was a safe bet to transition to a big club.

Gakpo had a good World Cup and has been in great form in Holland but understandably people have doubts about him in the PL and due to his favoured position being on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.