Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Just scored another brace today. Anyone watching? How is he playing? Looks like he can put up the stats in the Dutch league alright.
Good again.

At this rate he’ll be winning player of the season again. I don’t see anyone close to him in the Dutch league right now.

Marwood

It's off because it was likely never on.

I said a week ago this notion Gakpo was just waiting to complete the PSV qualifiers and would then move didn't make sense.

A player at Gakpo's level, if United come calling, you go. It's huge. You don't say "give me a couple of weeks." Especially with the transfer window deadline soon approaching.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I do think for Gakpo now the best thing is to stay until at least January and assess options from there. There’s no way if he keeps this up that he won’t be in the WC squad and hopefully bigger clubs will take note of 2-3 years then of high performance.

AshRK

I do think for Gakpo now the best thing is to stay until at least January and assess options from there. There’s no way if he keeps this up that he won’t be in the WC squad and hopefully bigger clubs will take note of 2-3 years then of high performance.
I agree with this. Better to do what you are doing for another 4 months and then wait for a bigger club than join a leeds or Everton

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The issue is he’s quite clearly too good for the Dutch league, but has underwhelmed in European matches. A stepping stone move at a side like Southampton who try to play progressive football and have a very young squad isn’t the worst move in the world.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Just scored another brace today. Anyone watching? How is he playing? Looks like he can put up the stats in the Dutch league alright.
The three clubs they've played so far are all relegation bait. Two are newly promoted and the other was the club with the lowest budget last year. He's really good at padding his stats against such opponents. He won't get that much time and space in the EPL.

And before Antony's stats are brought up as a comparison, against Ajax all opponents park the bus where as against PSV they play their regular game of naive attacking football and get slaughtered on the counterattack which PSV excels at.

He's a good choice for a smaller EPL side that parks the bus.

NoPace

I agree with this. Better to do what you are doing for another 4 months and then wait for a bigger club than join a leeds or Everton
Can't really compare them right now. Leeds look to be taking really well to the Red Bull style and Everton are really bad. Bamford-Rodrigo-Harrison-Gakpo-Aaronson-Sinisterra is a talented and varied group of attackers if they can sell off James and replace him with Gapko.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
The three clubs they've played so far are all relegation bait. Two are newly promoted and the other was the club with the lowest budget last year. He's really good at padding his stats against such opponents. He won't get that much time and space in the EPL.

And before Antony's stats are brought up as a comparison, against Ajax all opponents park the bus where as against PSV they play their regular game of naive attacking football and get slaughtered on the counterattack which PSV excels at.

He's a good choice for a smaller EPL side that parks the bus.
Ah, an Ajax fan. Off course every team plays their best against Ajax, whilst against PSV they give them the three points. Gakpo only scores against small teams (remember the matches against Ajax and Feyenoord?) but Antony doesn’t. Stats? They shouldn’t be taken too seriously, except when it is in favour of an Ajax player.

However, i agree with you that Gakpo is not ready fot a club like Man utd. He’d be better off at a smaller club where he has time to get used to Premier league intensity

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Stats? They shouldn’t be taken too seriously, except when it is in favour of an Ajax player.
No, stats from smaller leagues shouldn't be taken seriously because otherwise Finnbogason or Vincent Janssen would have been playing for City and not Haaland. It's individual attributes that scouts from the EPL should be looking for in players from the Eredivisie, goals and assists can be down to playing against weak opposition, being the primary penalty taker, pure luck etc. Like Antony's superior ability in tight spaces where as Gakpo fails miserably against opponents that know how to defend. Meaning Antony has a far higher chance of succeeding in the EPL than Gakpo.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Arsenal are such winners this year, it's crazy. They always bounce back immediately

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Bergwijn?
Not for me no. Well harsh to say not close but I’d say Gakpo is the best player in the league and I haven’t seen convincing enough evidence elsewhere to suggest otherwise.

I think you take Gakpo out of PSV and replace him with Bergwijn and you lose more than you gain.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hope he stays at PSV and develops. Sure Ruud would sell him to us first if we want him in the future.
John de Jong is the DoF (under CEO Marcel Brands), Van Nistelrooij is just the coach. Don't think he would be asked whom a player should be sold to, just if he can agree to the sale.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Wonder if this is the potential business we may do that he was referring to earlier.
[/QUOTE]

in the post- match interview Ruud van Nistelrooy said PSV will do no more incoming transfers tonight. In the Netherlands transfer deadline is today.

this message seems nonsense

DON’T PANIC ™

I’d rather we took a punt on Gakpo than take Depay back. I know you can’t compare the options financially but the lads on fire and he’ll end up at somewhere like Dortmund if revert to our usual “sit on our hands” type of negotiation next year.
Utd’s frontline consists of 3 players who are a few years past their best + Elanga.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’d rather we took a punt on Gakpo than take Depay back. I know you can’t compare the options financially but the lads on fire and he’ll end up at somewhere like Dortmund if revert to our usual “sit on our hands” type of negotiation next year.
Utd’s frontline consists of 3 players who are a few years past their best + Elanga.
He won’t end up at Dortmund PL seems to be taking his fancy.

Gerald G

I think Gakpo should stay. He'll probably get better offers in January or next summer. Stay, tear up the league and depart next year as POTY

BuzzKillington

I think he was one of the backups if we weren’t able to get Antony.
Possibly I suppose, but I would have hoped we were targeting Antony due to what he was, which was a left footed right winger. Gakpo didn’t really fit any needs we had. He was just a worse version of what we already had in Sancho/Rashford/Martial.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Big blow for Leeds. Desperately need a striker.
I think he would’ve thrived under your adapted system this season but I also think he could move to a bigger club if he waits a few months and continues to dominate Eredivise.

RkkMan

I'm glad he's staying because he's still a talented player that would improve us but we needed Antony's profile more now
If he tears it up in Netherlands again he'll be the perfect replacement for Ronaldo next summer. Watching him more and more makes me think he'll have a similar transition to RVP/Henry from a wide player to a ST

Strootman's Finger

Would like to see us back in for him, but I did read an interview with him a couple weeks back where he didn't seem particularly happy with how the whole potential United transfer went down. And I don't blame him, he was strung along as a back up, unsettled, then left hung out to dry.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Gakpo is a key player for PSV and is doing well for them. But I think United would benefit more from signing the Feyenoord creative midfielder Orkun Kokcu instead. He scored a cracking equalizer in the 4-3 loss earlier and looks to have a lot of potential as the creative midfielder who has the ability to operate in both a deeper role and a more advanced midfield role. He's still only 21 years old with excellent passing and vision which he executes comfortably with either foot. I don't think he'd cost a lot either and he would represent a very shrewd cost effective signing who has the potential to be a long-term answer for us in a creative midfield role.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Would like to see us back in for him, but I did read an interview with him a couple weeks back where he didn't seem particularly happy with how the whole potential United transfer went down. And I don't blame him, he was strung along as a back up, unsettled, then left hung out to dry.
that's how football works. Every club has a plan A and a plan B.

Nero

That's life. Clubs need to keep their options open.

Mr PG

H wasn't a back-up. We wanted both him and Antony but Ajax demanded too much for Antony and there went our budget.

Mr PG

His hold-up game..link-up play and strength in the air would be a big bonus for us. I suspect we go back for him in January or the summer.

Telsim

I think it really might have unsettled him when we showed interest. Seems to be back on track. I hope we go all in next window.

Status
Not open for further replies.