Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

So you stick by your comment of Weghorst being a better midfielder than Mount?

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/mason-mount-confirmed.475677/page-3
Where did I say he’s a better midfielder?
For large portions of his stay Weghorst was great at dropping deep and being a workhorse attacker. I still think he did / does that better than Mount.
I didn’t want Mount at United but I don’t sign player for Utd. My opinion of him doesn’t change because we somehow went one week without losing a game in 12 months ala Gallagher.
But then Pulisic > Rashford right?

Probably not the best time to play this card given so far this season Pulisic has done well at Milan while Rashford has effectively been playing RB your opponents.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We are 9 points off 5th place with half the season to play. Most of the first half we had more than half the starters injured. The team is starting to play as a unit. There is no need for a new front three. Jackson/Nkunku Sterling and Palmer is fine. If Nkunku settles into the 10 spot after being integrated to the squad, There is no reason why Connor, Enzo, and Caicado cannot rotate. All of this assumes everyone stays healthy, which has not happened for us in a long time. There is a reason there is a lot of optimism about the second half of the season. We will need to see how it plays out.

I appreciate the enthusiasm. 9pts off 5th doesn’t sound like a disaster. But it’s also a tall ask. United are 4pts off 5th and I don’t think there is much optimism in here. It isn’t just the 9pts, it’s also the teams you have between you and 5th. United, Newcastle and Villa. You only need one of those three teams to keep their shit together and have a good remainder of the season, and 5th is out of reach for you. To get 5th, from such a deficit, Chelsea will have to be really consistent. Something we just haven’t seen.

The Spurs game has maybe created A sense of false dawn. The first 30 minutes of that game, Spurs could’ve been 3 or 4 up. They cut Chelsea to ribbons. The sending off changed the game. Then the second sending off. Took Spurs going to nine men for Chelsea to win that game. The spirit showed against city was fair play though, so let’s see where they go from here. Theoretically they should only get better as players settle and develop more chemistry.

But that’s true for rivals too. United have Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw to come back from injury. Three key players. Rashford who was tearing it up last season, has yet to hit form etc.

I appreciate the enthusiasm. 9pts off 5th doesn’t sound like a disaster. But it’s also a tall ask. United are 4pts off 5th and I don’t think there is much optimism in here. It isn’t just the 9pts, it’s also the teams you have between you and 5th. United, Newcastle and Villa. You only need one of those three teams to keep their shit together and have a good remainder of the season, and 5th is out of reach for you. To get 5th, from such a deficit, Chelsea will have to be really consistent. Something we just haven’t seen.

The Spurs game has maybe created A sense of false dawn. The first 30 minutes of that game, Spurs could’ve been 3 or 4 up. They cut Chelsea to ribbons. The sending off changed the game. Then the second sending off. Took Spurs going to nine men for Chelsea to win that game. The spirit showed against city was fair play though, so let’s see where they go from here. Theoretically they should only get better as players settle and develop more chemistry.

But that’s true for rivals too. United have Casemiro, Martinez and Shaw to come back from injury. Three key players. Rashford who was tearing it up last season, has yet to hit form etc.

I mean that isn't true at all. It was no more than the first 15 mins, 20 mins at a stretch. We had gained a foothold in the game and by the time we saw the first red card we were well on top. Had two disallowed goals and a huge chance for Jackson. Outside of their lucky deflected goal and the disallowed goal, Spurs created nothing despite being on top the early parts of the game.

I do agree with you though, about the likelihood of Chelsea flying up the table to 4th or 5th. It's a super tall order and we need to find the kind of consistency we haven't seen at Chelsea for over 12 months.

Crazy how Chelsea spent a full billion and their best player is a City reject

It a never ending conveyor belt of quality but they really need to produce a Kane replacement pretty soon
Kane's going to be ticking along for another 5-6 years, Lewa and Benzama style (if not Ronaldo longevity), barring serious injury. Combination of discipline and (in footballing terms at least - the whole Chingford everyman lisp probably makes us under-rate this even now) intelligence means we could be seeing him lead the line in 2028, hopefully post-Southgate and with a quicker CB replacing Maguire, a settled technical no.8 alongside Rice etc.
Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney and Calvert Lewin

You've spent 1 and a half billion and your best player is a Chelsea reject.

No shame in being rejected by Mourinho, who has proven many a time that he has the talent ID skills of an artichoke.

Cole's not a City reject anyhow, he left against our wishes.

Did he forge all the necessary signatures to enable the transfer? Or what it done at gunpoint?

You sold him. If you wanted to keep him, he'd still be there.

That would make every transfer their ex-club's reject.

Interesting to hear that despite being a City trainee he namechecks Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo as idols when he was a kid, why did we miss out on him as a youngster, anyone know background on him at all?

He joined Man City at under-8 level. Kinda harsh to blame any scouts on this one.

Oh aye absolutely, just wondering if anyone had any knowledge re his background with him namechecking United players as idols in an interview! Being relatively local I know that since the takeover City have grabbed loads of the kids in the area so not really surprising tbf.

We sold Musiala for 180k … we take rejecting massive talents seriously here at Chelsea.

We didn't sell him, his parents divorced and he decided to move back to Germany with his mum who is from there.

Chelsea have made horrendous decisions over youth prospects obviously but Musiala is a case where their hands were tied and there was nothing to be done.

Did he forge all the necessary signatures to enable the transfer? Or what it done at gunpoint?

You sold him. If you wanted to keep him, he'd still be there.

That's not how City do things, otherwise Leroy Sane, Ferran Torres and Joao Cancelo would still be here.

Where did I say he’s a better midfielder?
For large portions of his stay Weghorst was great at dropping deep and being a workhorse attacker. I still think he did / does that better than Mount.
I didn’t want Mount at United but I don’t sign player for Utd. My opinion of him doesn’t change because we somehow went one week without losing a game in 12 months ala Gallagher.
Weghorst was awful whenever he played, just as bad in midfield as forward. He offered zero goal threat. He couldnt win headers or knockdowns. Whatever you think of Mount, Weghorst looked like he had rarely played professional football before.

Doesn't really look like he's good at football. Would not bang. 6/10.

That was poetry in motion. Could watch this goal all day.

That was poetry in motion. Could watch this goal all day.

He's very good, been your best attacker by far and is making Sterling look bad. Surprising City let him go considering he's literally the best replacement for Mahrez you can hope for. He's like a carbon copy.