Cole Palmer | Chelsea Player

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Oh certainly - I don't disagree with you there. Will be an interesting one to revisit.

I think I just took issue with the assertion that there's no way a player with ~1000 professional minutes could be on (only) 80k per week. If it's another Pogba situation then of course that changes things - but correct me if I'm wrong wasn't there some sort of kerfuffle over his image rights?

Regarding Chelsea (and not to be an ITK dipshit), what I've heard they've done is not have bonuses paid out retroactively - but instead they apply a percent raise to the base salary for the remaining years going forward. What makes this attractive is that this can compound - so multiple years playing well will further scale a player's wage and is part of why these long contracts were appealing. Reportedly there are also automatic adjustments that kick in once a player reaches different base wage levels - so for instance if Palmer plays well enough to get to double his starting wage, the benchmarks he has to hit and/or the rate at which his contract scales can be adjusted.
Going by your and other Chelsea fans post, you don't have players on huge wages. So let's see what's the total wages would be, will be very surprised if it's less than 300-330 million.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And then post shit from spotrac and other shit sites run by teenager? No wonder they get the clicks.
You don't have to post anything if you don't think they're legit.

Players individual wages are always, always speculated figures. Could be horseshit, could be close but it's all we have to go on.

duffer

Scout
Going by your and other Chelsea fans post, you don't have players on huge wages. So let's see what's the total wages would be, will be very surprised if it's less than 300-330 million.
We have loads of players reportedly on huge wages. Sterling, James, Chilly, Fofana, Enzo, Nkunku, Cucurella etc.

We've also got loads reportedly on more reasonable figures.

roonster09

Scout
You don't have to post anything if you don't think they're legit.

Players individual wages are always, always speculated figures. Could be horseshit, could be close but it's all we have to go on.
If I don't think it's legit then I'll call out the numbers that are posted as incorrect.

Player wages are speculative that doesn't mean all the crap sites should be believed. It hardly takes 5 mins to prove how wrong their numbers are and it's already been done so many times. Amazing people still fall for those crap sites.

If the reputed journalists didn't report the wages, then it's ok to say it's not reported instead of posting from random sites that just puts some random numbers.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
I have to ask, what do you consider to be 'huge'?

Sterling is definitely topping the table at the club with a salary north of £300K a week, James earns something close to that and the likes of Nkunku, Chilwell, Enzo, Caicedo and sadly Cucurella and Fofana are all big earners too. That's already 8 players on what I peronally would consider to be huge money and I for one am absolutely not arguing against any of that.

I'm just saying after that bunch the drop off should be sizeable and the rest of the squad are on quite a bit less money. Isn't that kind of how it's supposed to be? You have your top earners who've either already proven themselves at the club or have been signed as marquee players to play a key role in the team, and then theres' the regular first teamers who still have lots to prove before being handed out bigger deals and also some youngsters who are just starting out and thus make a more modest salary.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well no - the point is that there's been a clear pivot in strategy that took place during the World Cup in 2022.

Players recruited during the January 2023 window onward signed these types of long escalating deals - but there are still older deals committing huge wages like Sterling, James' extension, Cucurella, etc.

roonster09

Scout
I have to ask, what do you consider to be 'huge'?

Sterling is definitely topping the table at the club with a salary north of £300K a week, James earns something close to that and the likes of Nkunku, Chilwell, Enzo, Caicedo and sadly Cucurella and Fofana are all big earners too. That's already 7 players on what I peronally would consider to be huge money and I for one am absolutely not arguing against any of that.

I'm just saying after that bunch the drop off should be sizeable and the rest of the squad are on quite a bit less money. Isn't that kind of how it's supposed to be? You have your top earners who've either already proven themselves at the club or have been signed as marquee players to play a key role in the team, and the regular first teamers who still have lots to prove before being handed out bigger deals.
The general perception is, ManUtd players are on insane wages and it's for everyone. Any player that's signed, the numbers reported are on higher side.

Then you have Liverpool and lately Chelsea whose journalists or PR guys report lower wages for almost all players, so why isn't there a huge difference in total wages, forget difference, Chelsea and Liverpool have bigger wage bill than ManUtd.

The numbers reported when compared with total wages, it doesn't make any sense. This is nothing new, this has been done for years.

Coming back to Palmer wages, why is everyone believing that 80k per week nonsense when none of the journalists have reported it.

duffer

Scout
Well no - the point is that there's been a clear pivot in strategy that took place during the World Cup in 2022.

Players recruited during the January 2023 window onward signed these types of long escalating deals - but there are still older deals committing huge wages like Sterling, James' extension, Cucurella, etc.
Where are you getting that from (that they are escalating deals)? Just your own idea of what would be logical or has it been reported anywhere at all (even a shitty source)?

roonster09

Scout
So what do you honestly think Cole Palmer's current wage is, ignoring any possible increase he might get in a few years time.
It's simple, it's not reported so not known. Dont have to guess every player wages.

roonster09

Scout

I'll take that with pinch of salt.

Chelsea are not winning machine, so don't see what incentive player has to sign long term contracts without guaranteed bigger wage.

Also in the era where players completely control their destiny, it's hard to believe that they would leave it entirely to the club without guaranteed big wage compared to what they would get at other big clubs.

roonster09

Scout
It is reported, just not by whoever you consider a worthy source.

Ultimately, who gives a shit. Let's agree he's on £40K a week.
Sure, at least should have cited FM as a source. Much more reliable.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Silva hasn't started any games in the last month and has looked quite shaky in the games he has played since maybe around late November / early December. Sadly it looks like age is finally catching up to him, but to be fair he's almost 40 so that was always going to happen sooner or later.

Maybe, maybe not. Colwill should be nailed on to start at LCB whenever fit and lately Disasi has started looking more and more comfortable in the side, though the jury is still out on him.

Then there's the intriguing case of W. Fofana. He's had such a terrible time with injuries in the last couple of years that I'd be a bit hesitant to rely on him but if he makes a good recovery there could still be a player in there. Ideally before investing big money in another CB I'd want to give him at least next season (or till January) to show if he still has what it takes and more importantly if he can stay fit. He's had the surgery now so it's a coin toss whether that's fixed his knee or if it will continue to be a huge problem going forward.

Disasi, Fofana, Colwill and Badiashile could be just about enough for next season to see where things stand. Most likely we won't have European football next season either so replacing Silva with some high profile CB from the market while still keeping all of the four mentioned above seems a bit overkill, unless Fofana is deemed a hopeless case.
I think they all look promising (the CBs) but I think you really lack leadership amongst them. As much potential as they have I've seen them all look shaky too often. Gusto has grown a lot as the season has progressed but not having a fit Reece James seems to have a big effect. That's another issue that needs sorting.

To be honest you're unbalanced and lacking leadership all over. You could probably get by with your midfield once all options are available but even the likes of Enzo makes me wonder if he's up to the rigors of the PL. One game he looks really good when he's allowed to play, but the next he's all over the place.

The only player that's proven that they should be starting in your attack is Palmer. In a competitive Chelsea side, the rest would be on the bench and being made to improve if they want to play. There's a lot of issues.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Coming back to Palmer wages, why is everyone believing that 80k per week nonsense when none of the journalists have reported it.
If I remember correctly Saka's wage before renewal is even lower than 80k/wk. I am not surprised by the reported Palmer wages. Just like Saka, Palmer will be rewarded with improved terms if he keeps up his good work.

Red00012

£80k a week for 7 years.

Chelsea getting relegated and needing to flog everyone is your best chance of getting him.

Not impossible but on the list of players we'd want to sell, he'll be near to the bottom.
If Utd come calling in a few years he’ll walk.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
The general perception is, ManUtd players are on insane wages and it's for everyone. Any player that's signed, the numbers reported are on higher side.

Then you have Liverpool and lately Chelsea whose journalists or PR guys report lower wages for almost all players, so why isn't there a huge difference in total wages, forget difference, Chelsea and Liverpool have bigger wage bill than ManUtd.

The numbers reported when compared with total wages, it doesn't make any sense. This is nothing new, this has been done for years.

I've told you numerous times the reason why Chelsea's 2023 total wages were still very high and also why they're so fecking obviously going to be decreasing by a signficant percentage (estimate 15-20%) for the 2024 accounts. I won't bother giving you another detailed answer because clearly you didn't even give it a comprehensive enough read last time around to actually comment anything with any actual arguments to refute anything I wrote but just spouted the same nonsense over and over again about clubs not having 300M+ wage bill if all the players are on 80-100K a week deals, which is something nobody on here has ever even argued for to begin with. :houllier:

I see now that you mostly just have a stick up your arse about the unfair way United's salaries are often being reported by the media (which coincidentally I agree with) so it's less about what's actually going on with the other clubs and more about how you as a fan of Manchester United perceive the news.

Anyway, not that it matters one bit but I'm 99% certain in the next set of accounts Chelsea's total wage bill will be lower than United's (2024) despite being listed as £30M higher last time around by SR. Wanna bet on it? Loser donates £20 to the Caf. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, are you?

ForeverRed1

£80k a week for 7 years.

Chelsea getting relegated and needing to flog everyone is your best chance of getting him.

Not impossible but on the list of players we'd want to sell, he'll be near to the bottom.
won’t happen anytime soon but it could happen let’s see 5 years from now when he’s 26 with 2 years on his contract.

or we just go in with a big bid for him and make his head wobble.. it could happen. Not for a while though.

duffer

Scout
won’t happen anytime soon but it could happen let’s see 5 years from now when he’s 26 with 2 years on his contract.

or we just go in with a big bid for him and make his head wobble.. it could happen. Not for a while though.
If we stay shit and you lot get good, I can certainly see a possible move at lot sooner than 5 years if he continues playing really well.

ForeverRed1

If we stay shit and you lot get good, I can certainly see a possible move at lot sooner than 5 years if he continues playing really well.

depends on his contract I suppose, if he has a release clause it’s possible. I could see him wanting to play for us.

duffer

Scout
depends on his contract I suppose, if he has a release clause it’s possible. I could see him wanting to play for us.
You didn't need a release clause to sign Berbatov, Rooney or Ferdinand and I don't think any of them were close to being out of contract (using them as examples of signings from other Prem sides).

If a players kicks up a stink, they get a transfer, it almost never fails to work.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Where are you getting that from (that they are escalating deals)? Just your own idea of what would be logical or has it been reported anywhere at all (even a shitty source)?
Can't get into too many specifics but I was previously a consultant in the realm of American PL takeovers and still know people who know people.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'll take that with pinch of salt.

Chelsea are not winning machine, so don't see what incentive player has to sign long term contracts without guaranteed bigger wage.

Also in the era where players completely control their destiny, it's hard to believe that they would leave it entirely to the club without guaranteed big wage compared to what they would get at other big clubs.
Again though this is the point of the strategy - they went after a specific profile of player, for whom a middling wage at a top PL club would represent 3-5 times what they were on previously. By signing these players to long contracts, they effectively guarantee a life-changing amount of money as a worst-case scenario whilst simultaneously offering the chance to grow and earn more over the course of the contract.

Red00012

I can't recall if there is transfer business between Arsenal and Spurs since Sol Campbell, but there is no issue between Chelsea and Arsenal.
Not sure what you’re talking about unless you replied to the wrong post

jesperjaap

Why so much about what wage he is on, CIty wouldt sell him to us and neither will Chelsea.

F\ind watching CHelsea very strange as dont even know why but I have hated the club ever since I was little, always have and it is strange watching this current side, how poor they are in the final 1/3, how much money they have wasted and possibly may ruin some young careers.......yet they have several players at the moment I rate really really highly and forgetting fees or improbability I would take here in a heartbeat, several I wanted us to sign befor ethey went to Chelsea.....Palmer is definately one, Enzo Fernandes while at Benfica....think the criticism is harsh and related to the fee which is of coruse ridiculous, but I think he has done ok in his first season, Gusto I couldnt understand why he went there when they have Reece James who is a fantastic full back when fit....but he is starting to show now the talent he has....then there are three others Colewill could becoem a top defender, will he even get the chance though....I mean personally though he has mistakes, I thought Chalobah could be a top cb....let alone Fofana and then in midfield people probably totally forgotten about Lavia and also Chukwuemeka has a tonne of ability....they really do have some top young players alongside for me several over rated ones. One good thing though they signed Disasi and Badiashille who a lot of people on here wanted us to sign, both are bang average, always were

roonster09

Scout
I've told you numerous times the reason why Chelsea's 2023 total wages were still very high and also why they're so fecking obviously going to be decreasing by a signficant percentage (estimate 15-20%) for the 2024 accounts. I won't bother giving you another detailed answer because clearly you didn't even give it a comprehensive enough read last time around to actually comment anything with any actual arguments to refute anything I wrote but just spouted the same nonsense over and over again about clubs not having 300M+ wage bill if all the players are on 80-100K a week deals, which is something nobody on here has ever even argued for to begin with. :houllier:

I see now that you mostly just have a stick up your arse about the unfair way United's salaries are often being reported by the media (which coincidentally I agree with) so it's less about what's actually going on with the other clubs and more about how you as a fan of Manchester United perceive the news.

Anyway, not that it matters one bit but I'm 99% certain in the next set of accounts Chelsea's total wage bill will be lower than United's (2024) despite being listed as £30M higher last time around by SR. Wanna bet on it? Loser donates £20 to the Caf. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, are you?
Wtf are you on, when did I say ManUtd will have lower wages bill than Chelsea? fecking hell, it's not about ManUtd getting unfair treatment, it's about how easily people fall for this pr bs. You can pull the number out of your arse to come up with how Chelsea will be 5th highest in wage bill with nothing to back it up.

All this how wages will be lower because they offloaded high earners is nothing new, every club fans does it when they offload high earning players and then when the financial report is published, they see the same crap, forget about the past and then build the same nonsense for the next financial year.

For all the last time, where the feck are you getting this "Palmer is on 80K" number from ?

Also I said many times, all the essien math is nothing new, every club fan does it, to the point of delusion. Here is the same calculation I did 10 years ago, end result? Our wage bill in the financial report wasn't anything like my awesome math.

The transfers IN and Out in the last 2 seasons was nothing but very very huge for a big club. We usually don't see so much change in such a short space of time.

From the end of Moyes time till this summer it's around 12 months and the number of players who were sold/released is very high (very much needed too).

IMO our business was very impressive (except few). People talk about how much we are spending but in middle of all the drama, there is something that is not getting enough attention. Wages.

Here is a rough calculation.

Transfers IN -

Depay - 22M - 80K
Darmian - 13M - 50K (approx)
Schweinsteiger - 13M - 140K
Schneiderlin - 24M - 100K
Romero - Free - 50K

Total transfer fee - 72 M
Total wages - 21.8 Million

Transfers out:
Nani - 4.5M - 120K
RVP - 4.5M - 250K
Falcao - End of loan - 250K
Cleverley - Free - 40K
Henriquez - 1.5M - 10K
Di Maria - 44.5M - 250K

Total transfer fee - 64 Million
Total wages - 48 Million pounds.

So we have saved 27 Million pounds in wages.

Even last season we offloaded many high earning players and added few (but those few are already offloaded)
Last seasons - transfers in
Shaw - 100K
Herrera - 80K
Rojo - 80K
Blind - 80K

Di Maria and Falcao - 500K but both offloaded.

So total wages: 18 Million pounds.

Players offloaded -
Welbeck - 70-80K
Kagawa - 70K
Buttner - 40K
Zaha - 40K
Bebe - 10K
Evra - 100K
Macheda - 10K
Fletcher - 80K
Anderson - 80K
Vidic - 120K
Rio - 120K
Giggs - 80K

Total wages - 43Million pounds.

So since last season we have offloaded players worth 91 Million pounds and added players worth 50 Million pounds in wages.

All these excluding new deals signed and also many young players released.

Last season ManUtd recorded highest wage bill in the league, so with around 50 Million less, we should be below Arsenal now?

Also how much do you rate the transfer activity in the last 2 summer windows considering the whole squad is changed in 12 months.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Again though this is the point of the strategy - they went after a specific profile of player, for whom a middling wage at a top PL club would represent 3-5 times what they were on previously. By signing these players to long contracts, they effectively guarantee a life-changing amount of money as a worst-case scenario whilst simultaneously offering the chance to grow and earn more over the course of the contract.
Like I said, I will just wait for the numbers published in the official report.

Its not like you signed some obscure players who weren't in demand, you signed many players who were all wanted or tracked by lot of big clubs, so getting good contract would never be an issue for them.

roonster09

Scout
I have no idea. Someone has a bee in their bonnet about me posting the result I got from Googling "Cole Palmer wages" and now won't stop banging on about it.
Imagine discussing about football in football forum. Don't be so thin skinned just because someone on ManUtd forum doesn't buy all the fairly tales about your club.

Last edited:

Lexicon Red Devil

I can't recall if there is transfer business between Arsenal and Spurs since Sol Campbell, but there is no issue between Chelsea and Arsenal.
It's not really a proper rivalry is it though. When new money has come into the league Arsenal have been happy to sell to the highest bidder.

The most resistance they ever put up against either Chelsea's or City's dominance over the past two decades was selling RVP to United to give another team the chance to win a title.

Woziak

He's first choice because he's been so good. When the signing was made there were tons of people saying he only swapped City's bench for Chelsea's bench. He was definitely signed to be an immediate part of the first team squad but I'm quite sceptical he was promised a guaranteed starting place. Rather he had to earn it, which he absolutely has.

As for the total wage bill, we'll see how it goes. Right now the latest published figures are still from the 2022/2023 season where compared to the current situation the squad was still very, very different and much larger in size due to the amount of transfer business done midway through last season with very little departures. For this season quite a few of the club's previous high earners (Kante, Havertz, Felix, Koulibaly, Pulisic, Azpi etc.) were moved on and more importantly the squad size was trimmed down by around 6-7 first team players so I would think it's pretty safe to say the overall salary bill hasn't stayed anywhere near the same amounts as it was in the last set of accounts.

If I had to guess I'd say our current wage bill is maybe 5th highest in the EPL behind the Manchester clubs, Arsenal & Liverpool. Still higher than Spurs' but probably not by a lot. Feel free to quote me in a year to mock if the overall salary bill is still the same but I honestly don't think it will.

Chelsea wage bill is second behind City at 79% of their revenue and €465m or £397m per year, Liverpool are third and United fourth, both Spurs and Arsenal are running at 46 and 51 per cent respectively.

Here’s the latest Deloitte’s list;
https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pag.../articles/deloitte-football-money-league.html

Currently you would not be allowed to participate in any European competition as Chelsea do not conform to UEFA FSP rules, your barely compliant with the EPL, it’s coming very soon where there will be a mass sell off of academy and other assets to pass EPL sustainability and FFP rules. Even the new 85% will not help you very much, Todd Boehly radical thinking of signing young players on 7 year contracts is about to backfire in a serious way in the not too distant future?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Wtf are you on, when did I say ManUtd will have lower wages bill than Chelsea? fecking hell, it's not about ManUtd getting unfair treatment, it's about how easily people fall for this pr bs. You can pull the number out of your arse to come up with how Chelsea will be 5th highest in wage bill with nothing to back it up.
Well, you rambled on about United having a lower salary bill literally in the post I quoted. The fact our wages were indeed higher in 2023 and you being so adamant nothing's changed vis-à-vis the size of Chelsea's overall wage bill should make it pretty obvious you think it will still be the case next year as well?

As for the numbers, I've provided them with lots of context. Experienced senior professionals on UCL salaries being replaced by players who've barely played any first team football in their careers so far should make it pretty obvious they're largely not going to be on the same kind of contracts, with the exception being what I've described as the few 'marquee' players who make up for a smaller portion of the overall squad and who even I believe are on considerably higher salaries.

All this how wages will be lower because they offloaded high earners is nothing new, every club fans does it when they offload high earning players and then when the financial report is published, they see the same crap, forget about the past and then build the same nonsense for the next financial year.
Does every other club also cut down their first team's squad size from 32+ first teamers to a more regular amount of players every year? Just business as usual for everyone, according to you?

Because that's what also happened and what you've been ignoring all along because you're so fecking hung up on what's been said about the high earners. In all my posts talking about the matter I've always pointed out I consider this year's smaller squad size to be the more deciding factor in total wages being lower. This part of the equation is not even something that is dependent on which source one chooses to believe for a certain player's salary etc. but just a cold hard fact.

As for cutting the 'high earners' part, that was exactly what happened at Arsenal a few years back btw. They got rid of a few top earners like Aubameyang, Willian and David Luiz in one go and went on to replace them with young players on lower wages and as a result their salary bill was trimmed by £30M+ between financial years 2021 and 2022. So it can definitely happen.

For all the last time, where the feck are you getting this "Palmer is on 80K" number from ?
No idea because I'm not the one who posted it and that's not even the argument I've been making.

I've posted my reasons as to why I personally find it plausible to believe Palmer could be on around that kind of wages to start his career at the club with (+ possible incentives to increase it later into the deal) but without either of us actually seeing the contract there's no way we could actually know for certain. You have your opinion based on the context you're choosing to believe and I have mine.

By the way despite being asked you still haven't given any estimations on what kind of wages you believe Palmer is on if to you it's so unrealistic to believe he could be on around £80K or thereabout. The fact this issue seems like such an important hill for you to die on makes me think you must have a number in mind, so what is it?

Last edited: