Cole, Sheringham, Solskjaer and Yorke

Omar Little

Rashford & Martial the new Cole & Yorke watch this space!
They should be made to study videos of Yorke and Cole, have them train together, hang out with each other etc. Then, by the end of next season, both should be ready to lead the line together. (after Zlatan leaves)

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
They all are great players. Yorke and Cole were better as a pair due to the telepathy they had.
Teddy might have been the best but it's hard to split any of them.
Ole was obviously everyone's favorite.

I think they're all great players but I wouldn't call any of them legends. Ole being closest but him being super sub for most of his time has me feel he's just short.

Unpopular opinion I know.

TypeR

Great thread!

We were truly spoiled during that period, with all 4 being very good players who brought different things to the table. It really was the perfect blend of striking options.

And that's the reason why it's difficult to choose here.

For being the better player: Tied Teddy for talent, Yorke for effectiveness.
For being better for us: Cole for longevity.
Bigger legend: It has to be Solksjaer by merit of what he's given for the club.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
a) Yorke
b) Cole (amount of goals over a long period)
c) Solskjaer (stayed to be a sub and gave us a great moment...... That red card vs Newcastle in 98!)

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
It is absolutely unreal to have such high level of finishers in the bench half of the time. Jeez.. Strikers does't get any better than Cole or OGS. imagine them playing right now. We will blow everyone out of the water.

Jaybomb

Solskjaer is the biggest legend but Cole was the best player for us and Sheringham was the best player talent-wise.

reelworld

Big fan of Teddy here. Always have a soft spot of someone who have the touch and football intelligence like him. 98-99 was the best season of the club, but I think the seeds of that season was planted in 97-98. We beat Juventus 3-2 with Teddy playing a wonderful game in the opening CL game. The first time I think we could get toe to toe with Europe finest

Billy Blaggs

Big fan of Teddy here. Always have a soft spot of someone who have the touch and football intelligence like him. 98-99 was the best season of the club, but I think the seeds of that season was planted in 97-98. We beat Juventus 3-2 with Teddy playing a wonderful game in the opening CL game. The first time I think we could get toe to toe with Europe finest
Teddy the best.
But also the worst

Billy Blaggs

The did different things.
Cole was the best then Yorke. But Yorke was the better player.
Then Ole.
But Teddy was the best player

Yagami

Good post resistant
A) Cole.
B) Yorke. Mainly for how immense he was in the 98/99 season.
C) I think, as an individual, Solskjaer is by far the biggest legend out of the four, but Cole and Yorke as a pair could rival him. Their partnership was something else.

I loved all four of them but Sheringham was my favourite.

Ixion

That's nonsense.

Andy Cole was a bigger legend than Solskjaer and a better player.

I think people still have it in for Cole because of that West Ham game. But forget that without Coles brilliant lob against Spurs on the final day there would be no treble.
You won't find a bigger Cole fan than me but at this club Solskjaer is the bigger legend, he is the bigger legend than a lot of players who were probably better than him because of his contribution to the history of the club. Not just that goal either really, very loyal and willing to sit on the bench and take his chances when they came. And of course he was a great player.

In the history of English football Cole is probably more of a legend because outside of the goals and trophies at United he also bagged 40 for Newcastle, scored the goal that won Blackburn their League Cup and just in general scored lots of goals for a bunch of other teams.

Billy Blaggs

You won't find a bigger Cole fan than me but at this club Solskjaer is the bigger legend, he is the bigger legend than a lot of players who were probably better than him because of his contribution to the history of the club. Not just that goal either really, very loyal and willing to sit on the bench and take his chances when they came. And of course he was a great player.

In the history of English football Cole is probably more of a legend because outside of the goals and trophies at United he also bagged 40 for Newcastle, scored the goal that won Blackburn their League Cup and just in general scored lots of goals for a bunch of other teams.
We're talking for us though

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The thing I really admired about Solkjaer wasn't just his late goals but his loyalty. Plenty players talk on and on about loving the club but then ask for a transfer the minute they're offered more money elsewhere or have to fight for their place in the team.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
With Solskjaer there's a connection with the fans that can't be measured in terms of goals, appearances, longevity, or even his basic quality as a player (which was very high in any case). It does of course include all that, but also a lot more, something that's hard to judge but probably best epitomized by the professional foul on Rob Lee and the subsequent standing ovation - and that was only at the end of his second season here.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Our four treble-winning forwards.

Who do you think was
(a) the best player out of them?
(b) the best for us?
and
(c) the biggest United legend?

I'd have to go (a) Sheringham, (b) Cole and (c) Solskjaer. Feel bad leaving Yorkie out of these accolades, especially since he probably had the best season for us out of any of them in 98/99.
None of them was as dominat to the others and that's why they were so effective. Prior to the treble squad you would know exactly which type of striker one would face. The likes of Shearer, Batistuta, Van Basten, Baggio and co would feature week in week out irrespective of opposition. SAF changed all that. He brought in 4 totally different striker in the mix which turned United in an unpredictable side. Teddy football intelligence and height, Cole's workrate and pace, Yorke's technique and eye to goal and Ole world class finishing allowed us to change our game in a radical way in 1 moment notice. What a forward line.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Yorke 29 goals and 20 assists in 1998/1999. Unbelievable year and a Trini!

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
They all are great players. Yorke and Cole were better as a pair due to the telepathy they had.

I think they're all great players but I wouldn't call any of them legends. Ole being closest but him being super sub for most of his time has me feel he's just short.

A great thread, beg to differ a little though. I do think OGS is a club legend, gave up a large part of his career as a bit part player for the greater goodness, modest, self depreciating, highly skilled player, I loved him on the right wing in his latter days. Barca 99 he'll be remembered for, but the red card vs Newcastle was such a great example of self sacrifice, and tenacity.

I am biased as he was one of my idols though, and in these days of premier league players all being about ego and money i can only look back with such fond memories, and can't help but think it's a different era entirely.

Eriku

Ole being mainly a sub is a bit of a myth, IMO. 126 goals for United, 29 came from the bench. In the Prem he had 148 starts, vs 80 appearances off the bench. He contributed more through starts than substitutions.

Zen

Ole being mainly a sub is a bit of a myth, IMO. 126 goals for United, 29 came from the bench.
Which until Defoe broke it, was a record for substitute goals. So um, yeah, he kind of created that vibe. Although it seems Hernandez was far more efficient in the role given he only has a few less in like 1/3rd of the appearances.

Eriku

Which until Defoe broke it, was a record for substitute goals. So um, yeah, he kind of created that vibe. Although it seems Hernandez was far more efficient in the role given he only has a few less in like 1/3rd of the appearances.
Being a damn good substitute doesn't equal mainly contributing through subs or having most of his appearances off the bench, which I also substantiated through my edit.

unimaginative_name

Our four treble-winning forwards.

Who do you think was
(a) the best player out of them?
(b) the best for us?
and
(c) the biggest United legend?

I'd have to go (a) Sheringham, (b) Cole and (c) Solskjaer. Feel bad leaving Yorkie out of these accolades, especially since he probably had the best season for us out of any of them in 98/99.
(a) Dwight Yorke. Very underrated, technically excellent, if he was a Latin player, he'd have gone very close to winning the Ballon D'or.
(b) I'd say Yorke.
(c) Solskjaer.

Strats

Incredible how Cole and Sheringham worked so well together despite not speaking a single word to eachother off the pitch.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yorke, Solskjær, Solskjær.

For me Yorke was always on a higher level to Cole and I personally believe Solskjær always came on and made the difference in games. He was the most important of the lot in terms of tenure, status and changing games.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Thinking laterally though, would OGS have had the same impact anywhere else, say maybe real or Liverpool? I think it's also mostly due to the fact that SAF used him ingeniously to a devastating effect.
But Cole would tear a new one anywhere in the world. So legendary status OLE, pure awesomeness.. cOLE..

Crustanoid

We used to smash teams 4,5,6,7 nil wit regular ease back then. All 4 were phenomenal, backed up by an amazing team, squad and manager. Between 99-01, we probably dominated English football more than any team did (even Liverpool didn't win by the margins we did back then- I think we were 18 points clear in 00-01). Shows how time and standards change.

Ixion

Just worked out those 4 scored 548 Premier League goals between them and we had all four at once!

ROFLUTION

Remember handcrafting a Yorke Pillow when I was age 10 in School :lol: And having 8 x United scarfs on my arms for the CL-final in 1999.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yorkey fantastic allround player and one of my fav all time United players so a,b and c for me.